*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully agree with OnDoc19. If you're going to graduate early, the best thing you could do is take your time studying while doing some research or volunteer work. Moreover, applying in August is more difficult than applying early - I'm not saying it won't happen for you, but just keep that into consideration. Lastly, if you're worried about getting into medical school as soon as possible, remember the average med student age is around 23-24. So don't feel rushed!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, actually, I'm graduating early because I came in to undergrad as nearly a junior with lots of AP credit. But my ECs have been lots of research (I'm presenting a poster in a few weeks) and lots of volunteering.

I agree that I should certainly use that extra time to study for MCATs and get my application refined, I guess I'm just trying to be as optimistic/hopeful as I can with the whole "what's the worst that can happen, they reject me or I withdraw my applications?" Is it true that reapplicants are harder to be accepted?

Thanks, actually, I'm graduating early because I came in to undergrad as nearly a junior with lots of AP credit. But my ECs have been lots of research (I'm presenting a poster in a few weeks) and lots of volunteering.

I agree that I should certainly use that extra time to study for MCATs and get my application refined, I guess I'm just trying to be as optimistic/hopeful as I can with the whole "what's the worst that can happen, they reject me or I withdraw my applications?" Is it true that reapplicants are harder to be accepted?

I hope you read my previous post about the potential problem with AP credit. You really need to make sure that the schools you are applying to will take this credit.

As far as being a reapplicant goes, I think part of it depends on what you have done to improve your app since you last applied. However, a bad MCAT score will never go away and each school has their own way of viewing multiple MCATs (some take the highest score, some look at both and some take your highest score in each section regardless of the test date). I think if you didn't apply to the school your first time around then they won't know you are a reapplicant, but if you have applied there before then you have to indicated that you have applied previously. This could bias those schools against you.

You wanted to know what is the worst thing that can happen, so here's my opinion. You spend thousands of dollars applying know, find out that the schools won't take your AP credits or you don't get a good MCAT score because you rushed yourself to take the test. If the latter, you are stuck with this forever, even if you retake the test. You don't get in anywhere and have to reapply and depending on how you spent this next year, you may or may not be any more prepared.

You need to call schools and find out about the AP thing and then start studying for the MCAT. If you are shooting for MD/PhD, only take the test if you are consistently getting 33 or better on AAMC practice tests. If you are going for MD, only take the test if you are consistently getting 30/31 or better. If you do take the test, apply only to one school when you fill out your primary. Send it in, wait for the MCAT scores and then add more schools or withdraw this year depending on the score. You really need to evaluate why you are rushing things. To me it seems like the bad outweighs the good in your case. Oh and talk to your pre-med advisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a tangential question about "top-tier" schools.

Are most these schools looking for persons who want to do research and/or go into teaching medicine? Are there any top-tier schools that focus on people that want to be practitioners and accept people based on that?

I ask this because I have skimpy research and I'm not really interested in researching. Also, I got an e-mail back from HMS after inquiring about more information about their program, and they said they like to see 16 hours of humanities. Er, what the hell? Do any other top-tier schools have some weird requirements?

Lastly, should I be shooting for top-tier schools if I have no desire for research? The original reason I wanted to go to a top-tier school is because I hear they are looked highly upon during selections for residency (don't flame me on this if I'm wrong). I don't really want to go through the heartache of competing for top programs if my ideologies do not match theirs.

I had a tangential question about "top-tier" schools.

Are most these schools looking for persons who want to do research and/or go into teaching medicine? Are there any top-tier schools that focus on people that want to be practitioners and accept people based on that?
When people on SDN refer to top-tier schools, they are generally refering to the research rankings. Yes, these schools are interested in people who are interested in research and academic medicine. You should look at the rankings for primary care schools. Heres the top ten:
1. U Washington
2. UNC
3. Colorado
4. Oregon
5. Michigan State DO
6. East Carolina
7. Vermont
8. UCSF
9. Wisconsin-Madison
10. Nebraska

As you can see, this list is vastly different than the research rankings.

I ask this because I have skimpy research and I'm not really interested in researching. Also, I got an e-mail back from HMS after inquiring about more information about their program, and they said they like to see 16 hours of humanities. Er, what the hell? Do any other top-tier schools have some weird requirements?

If you aren't interested in research then you shouldn't be going to a school that emphasizes research because you will just be miserable. Yes, some top med schools have extra requirements. The humanities requirement is there to ensure well-rounded applicants and/or make you jump through more hoops because they know you want them :laugh:. Check the MSAR or schools's websites for more info on specific requirements. If you think Harvard is bad, Johns hopkins wants 24 hours of social sciences/humanities and two semesters of math. Did you not take anything besides science? Thats not good for your health :), especially for someone who doesn't like research.

Lastly, should I be shooting for top-tier schools if I have no desire for research? The original reason I wanted to go to a top-tier school is because I hear they are looked highly upon during selections for residency (don't flame me on this if I'm wrong). I don't really want to go through the heartache of competing for top programs if my ideologies do not match theirs.
Top residency spots are usually at top med schools and usually are heavily research oriented. Yes, prestige of the school is important for a residency spot, but again there is difference between research oriented residencies and primary care oriented residencies. You shouldn't go to a research-oriented med school if you hate research, even if you do get in without research experiance. If you love to take care of patients, go to a place that will give you lots of patient experiance. If you do well in your classes and on the boards you will still get a good residency and one that is aimed at patient care and not research.

How about F's on the transcript, in a pre-med requirement!? How should that alter one school choices? (GPA is around 3.65 cumulative) I know the GPA is pretty competitive, BUT the F in bio 101 will shine I'm sure. :scared: Here is where I wanna apply to... (BTW 40 MCAT)

Schools with (+) I REALLY would like to get in
Schools with (-) I'd rather not go to

BU
Brown (+)
Columbia (+)
Cornell (+)
Dartmouth
Drexel (-)
Duke (+)
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington
Harvard (+)
Hopkins (+)
Mount Sinai
NYMC (-)
NYU (+)
Norhwestern
Temple (-)
Tufts
U of Miami
UPenn
Pittsburg (-)
U of TN (TN Resident) (-)
Yale (+)
Washington U in St Louis
Yeshiva (-)
Vandy (+)

Chances?!

When people on SDN refer to top-tier schools, they are generally refering to the research rankings. Yes, these schools are interested in people who are interested in research and academic medicine. You should look at the rankings for primary care schools. Heres the top ten:
1. U Washington
2. UNC
3. Colorado
4. Oregon
5. Michigan State DO
6. East Carolina
7. Vermont
8. UCSF
9. Wisconsin-Madison
10. Nebraska

As you can see, this list is vastly different than the research rankings.

If you aren't interested in research then you shouldn't be going to a school that emphasizes research because you will just be miserable. Yes, some top med schools have extra requirements. The humanities requirement is there to ensure well-rounded applicants and/or make you jump through more hoops because they know you want them :laugh:. Check the MSAR or schools's websites for more info on specific requirements. If you think Harvard is bad, Johns hopkins wants 24 hours of social sciences/humanities and two semesters of math. Did you not take anything besides science? Thats not good for your health :), especially for someone who doesn't like research.

Top residency spots are usually at top med schools and usually are heavily research oriented. Yes, prestige of the school is important for a residency spot, but again there is difference between research oriented residencies and primary care oriented residencies. You shouldn't go to a research-oriented med school if you hate research, even if you do get in without research experiance. If you love to take care of patients, go to a place that will give you lots of patient experiance. If you do well in your classes and on the boards you will still get a good residency and one that is aimed at patient care and not research.

Thanks for all the info!

How about F's on the transcript, in a pre-med requirement!? How should that alter one school choices? (GPA is around 3.65 cumulative) I know the GPA is pretty competitive, BUT the F in bio 101 will shine I'm sure. :scared: Here is where I wanna apply to... (BTW 40 MCAT) [

Your GPA is not as competitive as you think, I hate to tell you. Looking at the MSAR, the average GPA of accepted applicants at the schools you say you are really interested in is 3.7-3.8. This puts you below the average at these schools, which is not a happy place to be if you have a red flag on your app. You MCAT is of course excellent. Your grades, and in particular that F, say to me, this person is very intelligent, but does not have a great work ethic. I'm not saying this is necessarily true of you, it just appears that way to me on paper.
Why exactly did you get the F.? Were there extenuating circumstances? You will definately be asked about that grade, so be prepared. You should ask Lizzy M in the ADCOM sticky about how bad this F is going to look. Why didn't you just take a W? I would rather have a W than an F, even if it makes you look like you are a grade monger. Is this the only bad grade on your transcript?

Schools with (+) I REALLY would like to get in
Schools with (-) I'd rather not go to

BU
Brown (+)
Columbia (+)
Cornell (+)
Dartmouth
Drexel (-)
Duke (+)
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington
Harvard (+)
Hopkins (+)
Mount Sinai
NYMC (-)
NYU (+)
Norhwestern
Temple (-)
Tufts
U of Miami
UPenn
Pittsburg (-)
U of TN (TN Resident) (-)
Yale (+)
Washington U in St Louis
Yeshiva (-)
Vandy (+)

Chances?!

If you already know you would not want to go to some schools, why are you still considering them. Your chances of course depend also on your ECs and especially for some of these schools your research experiance. You GPA may be a little too low for the top 10 schools, which is what it looks like you are aiming for. Not knowing the rest of your app, its possible that this may not be an issue if you have awesome ECs. That F though may cause you some big problems if you don't have a good reason for it.

My parents got an unexpected divorce and I took it much worse than I should have. (Depressed) I also have (IN the same semester) a D (Pcalc)and C- (Gen chem 1) and in another semester a C (Algebra) and another C- (Eco). Im applying to those school becuase I dont think I'll get in anywhere else honestly.

My parents got an unexpected divorce and I took it much worse than I should have. (Depressed) I also have (IN the same semester) a D (Pcalc)and C- (Gen chem 1) and in another semester a C (Algebra) and another C- (Eco). Im applying to those school becuase I dont think I'll get in anywhere else honestly.

You will defiantely want to explain the situation somewhere in your app. The other Cs may be a problem because it shows that the bad grades were necessarily all due to the emotional sitation, especially the math grade. Is there a particular reason, other than ranking, why you wouldn't want to go to these schools. If there is, you shouldn't apply, but if its only about the ranking then you shoudl give some mid-tier schools a chance. They won't bite :).

This sucks. I want so bad to go to Cornell, Columbia or NYU. Im never going to get into those schools. Its just a dream, dont mind the crying.

This sucks. I want so bad to go to Cornell, Columbia or NYU. Im never going to get into those schools. Its just a dream, dont mind the crying.

You can still apply to those schools, they will just be your reach schools. There is nothing wrong with having a few, but you just need to be realistic (which I think you are) about your application and apply to schools where you are also on par with their average applicant. Good luck!

I don't think you're in too bad of a spot. You have a 3.65 that includes that terrible semester. I think you can explain away that poor performance, and the rest of your grades must be good to add up to a 3.65.

With those numbers you will be competitive (especially the MCAT). But, it's really going to be the other stuff that will get you into top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you're in too bad of a spot. You have a 3.65 that includes that terrible semester. I think you can explain away that poor performance, and the rest of your grades must be good to add up to a 3.65.

With those numbers you will be competitive (especially the MCAT). But, it's really going to be the other stuff that will get you into top schools.

Although my opinion in this is nearly worthless, as a lowly premed, I agree completely. A 3.65 with a crappy semester like that is excellent, espically when the crappy semester is due to a medical problem. (depression. Did you happen to see a doctor for it?) I would plan out exactly how you want to present this semester in your interview, and be proactive about it. Explain how your parents got divorced, and you really just could not handle it.

What are my chances of being accepted to a top 10 school? Here are my stats:
  • Biochemistry Major, Math Major, History Minor
  • 4.0 GPA, 4.0 Science GPA
  • 36S MCAT
  • Worked in 2 different research labs with 2 published articles
  • Study Abroad 1 semester
  • 50+ hours E.R. volunteer
  • 50+ hours low income clinic volunteer
  • 50+ hours shadowing a surgeon and a radiologist
  • President of a campus organization, member of several organizations, including a fraternity
  • Employed by internet marketing company

You can still apply to those schools, they will just be your reach schools. There is nothing wrong with having a few, but you just need to be realistic (which I think you are) about your application and apply to schools where you are also on par with their average applicant. Good luck!

Do you think my list includes enough "matches" and "safeties" ?

What are my chances of being accepted to a top 10 school? Here are my stats:
  • Biochemistry Major, Math Major, History Minor
  • 4.0 GPA, 4.0 Science GPA
  • 36S MCAT
  • Worked in 2 different research labs with 2 published articles
  • Study Abroad 1 semester
  • 50+ hours E.R. volunteer
  • 50+ hours low income clinic volunteer
  • 50+ hours shadowing a surgeon and a radiologist
  • President of a campus organization, member of several organizations, including a fraternity
  • Employed by internet marketing company

You look great on paper (better than me in fact, and I'm going to Duke). You'll just need to impress them in person (interview), in your essays, and with your motivation to pursue medicine.

Hey all,

looking to see what my chances are (im canadian!)

MCAT: PS: 11, VR: 8, BS: 12, WS: S
GPA: ~3.7

currently finishing my master's (4.0 GPA, but ive read a master's is only good for research experience and they dont care about marks)....have a 3rd authorship paper from 3rd year, and should get a paper out of my master's...probably wont be published in time for the application cycle...but have a lot of conferences/abstracts....

Where should I apply?....and what are my chances?

thanks!

HI

I'm a chemistry major at Northwestern University with the following stats-
MCAT = 32 (ps:12, vr:10, bs:10) O
GPA = 3.343
Science GPA = 3.127

400 hours: patient care assistant in psych
100 hours: peer-teaching orgo (also have leadership position)
200 hours: cancer research volunteer (lab tech)
200 hours: hospital volunteer (busy work)

I want to apply out-of-state to a school in Chicago such as Rush, UIC, Loyola, or rosalind franklin (for the Fall of 2008)

do i have a chance?

HI

I'm a chemistry major at Northwestern University with the following stats-
MCAT = 32 (ps:12, vr:10, bs:10) O
GPA = 3.343
Science GPA = 3.127

400 hours: patient care assistant in psych
100 hours: peer-teaching orgo (also have leadership position)
200 hours: cancer research volunteer (lab tech)
200 hours: hospital volunteer (busy work)

I want to apply out-of-state to a school in Chicago such as Rush, UIC, Loyola, or rosalind franklin (for the Fall of 2008)

do i have a chance?

don't worry 'bout a dirty thing

Fine, I give in:

Physics major, math minor at Texas A&M University, graduating in 3 years:

Overall GPA: 3.57~3.625 (depends on how this semester goes) (1 C in a class I took while in high schol)
Science GPA: 3.60 ~ 3.7 (also depends on this semester...2 C's, one in physics (made a B in an advanced version of the course later) and one in an intro. engineering class))
After making 2 C's and a B my first summer at A&M I followed with a year and a half of 4.0 in physics.

MCAT: ~34 (11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS) (haven't gotten official score, but all of my practice tests were in the 34-35 range)

Research: 1 year of grant funded research in theoretical physics

Scholarship:
-Top 7% of class in college of science
-Society for Optical Engineering Undergrad. Achievement Award
-Department of Physics Outstanding Undergraduate Award

Volunteering:
-60 hours of volunteering at surgery center in Fort Worth
-Shadowed about 7 doctors in different specialties for a day each over Christmas Break
-Special Olympics of Texas Summer Games
-Medical Mission Trip to Mexico
-Mission Trip to Boston, MA

Leadership:
-Leadership team of Texas A&M Navigators for 2 years
-Leader of service team for the Navigators for a year

Job:
-Full time ER Scribe in Fort Worth (will start in May and work for a year)

UT Southwestern is my number 1 choice, but honestly, I just want to get in somewhere!

What's the max number of reach schools that it would be reasonable to apply for?

my stats:
GPA: 3.67 in engineering from a top 5 public university
MCAT: 37 - 13 PS 12 V 12 BS
research in a few labs, one publication
lots of community service/human rights activities, on and off campus (i.e. working w/ a non-profit)
some hospital volunteering, trying to get some shadowing in

I was thinking of applying to 3-4 in-state public schools, 8-10 'in-range' schools, and 6-7 reach schools (likely mostly top 20 ranked schools). Would applying to 6-7 reach schools be too many?

I'm really interested in public health (MD/MPH at some point) and Harvard/Hopkins have two of the best public health programs out there (on top of their amazing med schools), so I'd like to apply to at least one of them. I don't think I stand much of a shot with my uncompetative GPA, but I'd like to give it a try. I'd also like to apply to my alma mater, so that's already 2-3 reach schools and there were other ones I was interested in as well.

At the end of the day, I think I would be fine/happy to attend one of my in-state schools, and would probably do so over most private schools due to the cheaper tuition. I'd likely only attend a private school (if I get in) if it was one of my reach/dream schools. That makes me wonder why i should even bother w/ the 8-10 'in-range' schools (instead of just applying to all my state schools and the rest reach schools), but I think it would setting myself up for disaster if I don't apply widely.

As for my GPA, I don't really have any good stories behind it; never got anything worse than a B in a class, but have a bunch of B+/A- grades. I've been taking a full courseload every semester w/ 5-6 classes per semester, 3-4 of them science/engineering classes. I consider myself fairly well-rounded too, since I'm graduating w/ ~190 credits (we need ~120 to graduate). A lot of the credits are carry-over AP credits, the others are due to taking a lot of interesting classes that I didn't need for any requirements (humanities classes, grad classes, etc).

Caffeine:

I wouldn't say that your GPA is uncompetitive, you have great stats and I think you should give the Harvard and Hopkins programs a shot, the worst they can do is say no. Your MCAT is stellar and your GPA is still pretty good. On paper you look like a great applicant!

Just curious: Are you in California?

What's the max number of reach schools that it would be reasonable to apply for?

my stats:
GPA: 3.67 in engineering from a top 5 public university
MCAT: 37 - 13 PS 12 V 12 BS
research in a few labs, one publication
lots of community service/human rights activities, on and off campus (i.e. working w/ a non-profit)
some hospital volunteering, trying to get some shadowing in

I was thinking of applying to 3-4 in-state public schools, 8-10 'in-range' schools, and 6-7 reach schools (likely mostly top 20 ranked schools). Would applying to 6-7 reach schools be too many?

I'm really interested in public health (MD/MPH at some point) and Harvard/Hopkins have two of the best public health programs out there (on top of their amazing med schools), so I'd like to apply to at least one of them. I don't think I stand much of a shot with my uncompetative GPA, but I'd like to give it a try. I'd also like to apply to my alma mater, so that's already 2-3 reach schools and there were other ones I was interested in as well.

At the end of the day, I think I would be fine/happy to attend one of my in-state schools, and would probably do so over most private schools due to the cheaper tuition. I'd likely only attend a private school (if I get in) if it was one of my reach/dream schools. That makes me wonder why i should even bother w/ the 8-10 'in-range' schools (instead of just applying to all my state schools and the rest reach schools), but I think it would setting myself up for disaster if I don't apply widely.

As for my GPA, I don't really have any good stories behind it; never got anything worse than a B in a class, but have a bunch of B+/A- grades. I've been taking a full courseload every semester w/ 5-6 classes per semester, 3-4 of them science/engineering classes. I consider myself fairly well-rounded too, since I'm graduating w/ ~190 credits (we need ~120 to graduate). A lot of the credits are carry-over AP credits, the others are due to taking a lot of interesting classes that I didn't need for any requirements (humanities classes, grad classes, etc).

The 3.67 is "middle of the road." It's not going to set you apart from other applicants, but it's also not going to preclude you from going to a top school. It's almost an A- have and you have a great MCAT. If you can afford to send out that many apps, go for it. You look great on paper. If you can write a good PS, get good LORs, and write good secondary essays, you'll get a good number of interviews. Interview well and you'll do great. Obviously it's hard to judge your app without seeing everything, but I think you have a pretty good shot at top-twenty schools.

You should think about Duke too. You can use your third year to get an MPH at UNC (outstanding public health school).

Hi all,

I really appreciate this thread and am hoping that somebody can give me some ideas about where some realistic places to apply would be. I applied this past cycle but my application was not complete in all but one place (for some unfortunate but uncontrollable reasons). Anyways, I'm thinking about applying MD/PhD but am pretty strongly considering MD as well. Thing is, I don't have that much in the way of volunteering (an internship here and there) and my gpa isn't great (3.5). What I do have is 2 years of full time research (read ~70 hrs/wk) and a number of projected publications (at least 4) and a 35 on my MCAT. If I could go to Columbia or UCSF, I think I would probably be in heaven, but I'm pretty sure that's out of the realm of possibilty for me. Does anyone have any ideas for research-oriented MD programs that I actually have a shot at? Thanks!
-cb

Don't trip... I'm in a similar situation. My parents had a divorce that lasted my soph and junior year... I got a D in ochem, a D in basketball a W in weight training... My gpa for those two years was a 2.5 or something and I almost lost my scholarship. (I was valedictorian and had a fullride.) Whatever though, I maintained a 4.0 my final two years but that only brings my gpa to a 3.4

You'll do fine, your MCAT already illustrates your competence so that's not even a factor. Just have confidence in your abilities and really convey to the adcom that you are serious and have a lot to bring to the profession. Don't buy into the numbers B.S. I know plenty of people that got into great schools with mediocre numbers.

Fine, I give in:

Physics major, math minor at Texas A&M University, graduating in 3 years:

Overall GPA: 3.57~3.625 (depends on how this semester goes) (1 C in a class I took while in high schol)
Science GPA: 3.60 ~ 3.7 (also depends on this semester...2 C's, one in physics (made a B in an advanced version of the course later) and one in an intro. engineering class))
After making 2 C's and a B my first summer at A&M I followed with a year and a half of 4.0 in physics.

MCAT: ~34 (11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS) (haven't gotten official score, but all of my practice tests were in the 34-35 range)

Research: 1 year of grant funded research in theoretical physics

Scholarship:
-Top 7% of class in college of science
-Society for Optical Engineering Undergrad. Achievement Award
-Department of Physics Outstanding Undergraduate Award

Volunteering:
-60 hours of volunteering at surgery center in Fort Worth
-Shadowed about 7 doctors in different specialties for a day each over Christmas Break
-Special Olympics of Texas Summer Games
-Medical Mission Trip to Mexico
-Mission Trip to Boston, MA

Leadership:
-Leadership team of Texas A&M Navigators for 2 years
-Leader of service team for the Navigators for a year

Job:
-Full time ER Scribe in Fort Worth (will start in May and work for a year)

UT Southwestern is my number 1 choice, but honestly, I just want to get in somewhere!
Well I was pretty sure I knew you from the other thread and now I *know* I do. :laugh:

Your stats look fine for UTSW (though your gpa is alittle low)... just remember: for TMDSAS it's all about how early you apply. APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. I had all my interview invites by the end of september (though I rearranged some interviews for later in the year). The match this year was basically a joke which means (unless the system changes drastically this year) you'll be relying on pre-match offers.

And another note before anyone else jumps on you, I'd be careful about making decisions based on what you *think* you'll get on the MCAT. Anything can happen on test day. But good luck with the beast :)

I am really stressed out. I had an undergrad GPA of about a 3.25 and I am currently doing my masters and I have a 3.5. I have tons of leader extra cirrics, lots of medical experience, honor socieites, and I am working full time at one of the top researh hospitals in the country. I am finishing my pre reqs this summer and taking the MCATS in September. I will apply early and send the results in as they come. Please tell me that I have a shot at something. Any help would be useful. I am at the end right now, its now or never. 2008 has to be it for me.
thanks

Hey!

Please check out my profile on mdapplicants
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7812

I am thinking about applying to medical school this year, but I barely have any doctor shadowing experience or medical research. Will the be a major hit to my applicaiton? Is it worth applying without having these credentials?

Thanks so much!

Hey!

Please check out my profile on mdapplicants
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7812

I am thinking about applying to medical school this year, but I barely have any doctor shadowing experience or medical research. Will the be a major hit to my applicaiton? Is it worth applying without having these credentials?

Thanks so much!

Wow, you and I have pretty similar profiles. I assume you sort of made the pre-med decision a little later in your college career too? I have about 40 hours of physician shadowing but I'll be trying to get at least 20-30 more hours before I submit the AMCAS in June. If you get on it and have some good contacts, you might be able to fill out a substantial amount of shadowing before you submit your application. As for research, I haven't done any academically either (industrially though- yes). Still I have no desire to go into academic medicine. I've heard research is good if you want to do it- if not, then don't worry about it.

The other thing adcoms might be interested in is seeing more volunteering experience. This is something you might want to get more SDN opinions on though.

Hello. I'm applying to medical schools this summer. I'm happy with my GPA, both BCMP and overall, but I notice that my MCAT score is little low for top medical schools. Do I have a decent shot at top medical schools such as Duke, U Chicago, Hopkins, Yale, etc.?

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7813

It's good to see the midwesterners on the board. It looks like you'll be a shoe-in for alot of those schools, best of luck to ya-

I agree that I probably need to get more volunteering in, and I think that my lack thereof will hurt me. Is there anything I can do this late in the school year to get into a summer volunteering position? I kind of just decided that medical school is what I would like to do with my future, and thus don't have the typical pre-med background when it comes to volunteering. I hope they don't weigh that too heavily.

Hello. I'm applying to medical schools this summer. I'm happy with my GPA, both BCMP and overall, but I notice that my MCAT score is little low for top medical schools. Do I have a decent shot at top medical schools such as Duke, U Chicago, Hopkins, Yale, etc.?

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=7813

Your numbers are solid. A 34 will be a little below the median at the top schools, but not so low that it would keep you out. Just make sure you distinguish yourself in your primary, secondaries, and interviews. It is so competitive at these schools that you really need to stand out at every juncture. Being a URM will help, too. Good luck

I was hoping I could get some advice on my chances for the top 10 schools, top 25, etc. Here are my stats:

GPA (Ivy League undergrad): 3.94 (math)
Science GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 34 (10 VR, 11 BS, 13 PS)
Phi Beta Kappa junior year

I have a ton of community service from undergrad (I received a few awards at the end of college for it). I graduated in '04, and have done lots of cool stuff since (including shadowing an HIV doc, doing research on HIV vaccines, researching hepatitis related civil cases at a law firm, studying yoga in India, etc).

So that's the scant info on what I've done...any ideas on what my chances might be?

I was hoping I could get some advice on my chances for the top 10 schools, top 25, etc. Here are my stats:

I have a ton of community service from undergrad (I received a few awards at the end of college for it). I graduated in '04, and have done lots of cool stuff since (including shadowing an HIV doc, doing research on HIV vaccines, researching hepatitis related civil cases at a law firm, studying yoga in India, etc).

So that's the scant info on what I've done...any ideas on what my chances might be?

Anna82, you don't have anything to worry about, i think you'll have your pick of schools.

Sounds like a knockout profile! Convey your awesome experiences well in your essays and interview and you should be sitting pretty good. :luck:

Here goes...canadian engineer (I realize the canadian part restricts me to a few schools) but here are my stats...

year1: overall 2.61
year2: 2.68
year 3: 3.75
year 4: 3.75
postbacc for prereqs: 3.9

cumulative for all 4 years:3.34

BCPM average: 3.4

My averages work out really low becuase of my first two years being bad, although I really tried to improve in my last two, and in the extra year.

Also my BCPM is pulled down b/c math & physics are counted from the earlier part of my engg degree where I did really bad :(

MCAT: 31Q (7 in verbaL) taken in aug 2004 but retaking it this aug.

Based on that? how are my chances? I realize my gpa is quite low overall, I was hoping that my last 3 years would bring it up but it doesnt look like its enough.

Any advice??

p.s. during the last year ive worked on 2 clinical research papers and volunteered in a hospital for the last 2 years.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi, I’m new here and need some advice. (“what are my chances?” kind of advice…) Heres my story
So I was pre-med throughout college but after graduating in 05, I took a job teaching high school English (I really needed a change of scenery). During this year off I enrolled in Kaplan, but truth be told, my mind and heart were not there so I basically blew it off, justifying it in my mind by telling myself “I’m not interested in making a ten-year commitment right now, but being that I still love medicine, I guess I’ll go to PA school right now, I can do most of what I am interested in as a PA temporarily, and reconsider MD 5-10 years from now.” I applied to 3 PA schools on a whim a week before the deadline and got into all 3 (was supposed to start in Aug 06). Last winter while teaching though, I also met my current husband, who was in college in Maryland, and we got married and I moved here for him to finish school and was fortunate enough to be offered a position at the NIH. During this time, I have come to the conclusion that being a PA will never placate me and my quest for knowledge and desire to become a physician. Sooooooooo I want to throw my hat in for 08, (Plan on taking September MCAT) but I want to know where I stand.
I would go to any school in the NY/NJ/CT/MD/DC area (around 20 schools)
Here are my stats:
21/F
-Bio Major, 3.5 GPA, 3.7 Science GPA
It may not be the highest GPA out there, but i consider myself pretty well-rounded...I have >170 and we only needed 120 to graduate. I know my grades are mediocre but I never got below a B- i anything...
- Deans list for 3 years in college
-Clinical Research-2 summers, 1 published article , 1 semester doing a research internship through AECOM and the NY DOH
-Lab Research -2 summers (same lab), 1 published article, Currently completing a yearlong post-bac research internship at the NIH (hopefully will have an article out within the next six wks)

-2000+ hours Nursing Home volunteering (since I was in 10th grade)
-appx 300 hrs shadowing experience (a little of everything...Internal Medicine, ID, Cardiology, Nephrology, Transplant Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Neurosurgery)
-extensive Tutoring, T.A., and teaching experience
-very involved with EC's in college (section editor for school newspaper, pre-med club, bio club president for two years)
In terms of public vs private schools the tuition isnt that much of an issue for me.

So...Where do I stand, competition wise? And what MCAT score do I need to get in?
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
Tell me what you think...

I did extremely poorly in my undergraduate 2.3gpa. BA Music.
During my last year of undergraduate I discovered I wanted to become a doctor. After graduating I went back to school and declared a psychology major. After doing well for 4 semesters (4.0 GPA) was accepted to a BA/MA Cognitive Psychology program. I graduated with a 3.9GPA with a BA/MA in Cognitive Psychology and a science GPA of a 3.98.

MCAT 38S
Ok EC's: Works a CNA (Certified Nurse's Assistant) for three years, Volunteered at an After School Program for under-privilege children, Volunteered at a the Denver Children's Hospital, Shadowed for two years, and performed in 6 Operas in the past 3 years (I can never stop making music).

Given that my current scores are pretty competitive, how do you think my previous GPA will factor into getting in to the top 25 med schools.

Oh……. My dream is to attend Johns Hopkins for Pediatrics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!:)

Hi,

During my last year of undergraduate I discovered I wanted to become a doctor. After graduating I went back to school and declared a psychology major. After doing well for 4 semesters (4.0 GPA) was accepted to a BA/MA Cognitive Psychology program. I graduated with a 3.9GPA with a BA/MA in Cognitive Psychology and a science GPA of a 3.98.

MCAT 38S
Ok EC's: Works a CNA (Certified Nurse's Assistant) for three years, Volunteered at an After School Program for under-privilege children, Volunteered at a the Denver Children's Hospital, Shadowed for two years, and performed in 6 Operas in the past 3 years (I can never stop making music).

Given that my current scores are pretty competitive, how do you think my previous GPA will factor into getting in to the top 25 med schools.

Hi,

MCAT 38S

Your previous GPA will be counted equally with your 2nd degree GPA. Lets say for each degree you have the same number of semester hours, that gives you a 3.14 cumulative GPA. Your BCPM will likely be significantly higher since I would assume your first degree did not include much science. Given this low GPA you will likely not make the cutoffs at many US allo schools, and likely none of the top 25. Trends are great, but it takes a human to notice a trend and most schools simply dont have the time to look at the details of every application, especially pre-secondary. Your GPA will likely not meet the cutoffs for a secondary at places that screen GPA and MCATs. You should look at the MSAR or school's websites to find out if they have a minimum cumulative GPA cutoff before applying. Your MCAT certianly is very good, but unfortuantely the system is not very forgiving if you mess up.

Your ECs could certainly use some beefing up as well. Its nice that they are long-term, but you don't have any research, which is a must for schools like Johns Hopkins.

Also, you said you want to go to Johns Hopkins for Pediatrics. You realize, I hope, that you don't actually specialize in anything in med school, that's what residency and fellowship are for. It sucks that you did badly in your first undergrad, but unfortunately you are stuck with the consequences. You really need to get an MSAR and apply to schools you are competitive at. The most important thing with such a low GPA is getting into med school. Then you can focus on the USMLEs and getting top residency, let's say a peds residency at Johns Hopkins.

ok, I guess I am your one of those pre-meds, good grades and test scores, but kind of skimpy on the ECs

3.92 as a Microbiology Major, science gpa is like 3.9 ish
37Q MCAT

i do a crap load of research(it consumes my life), got the largest grant my school gives, and the top academic scholarship that it gives

and thats basically where it ends.... i mean I have shadowed a doctor over a couple summers, and like was part of my school's sports medicine department as a student athletic trainer... did some student government stuff, model UN, and other assorted activities, but basically i am lacking in hardcore clinical and volunteer stuff, that i see everyone has

I basically would love to get into UCLA or UCSF

ok, I guess I am your one of those pre-meds, good grades and test scores, but kind of skimpy on the ECs

3.92 as a Microbiology Major, science gpa is like 3.9 ish
37Q MCAT

i do a crap load of research(it consumes my life), got the largest grant my school gives, and the top academic scholarship that it gives

and thats basically where it ends.... i mean I have shadowed a doctor over a couple summers, and like was part of my school's sports medicine department as a student athletic trainer... did some student government stuff, model UN, and other assorted activities, but basically i am lacking in hardcore clinical and volunteer stuff, that i see everyone has

I basically would love to get into UCLA or UCSF

With all of that research experiance why aren't you going for MD/PhD? They are generally more forgiving about a lack of clinical experiance and volunteering because of the extra time commitment that research requires. If you are going for MD only, then you need to have enough experiance to be able to answer the question "why do you want to be a doctor". Plus, UCLA and UCSF are great schools and the people who you will be competing with will have the ECs. Start now with clinical and volunteering - its late, but better than never.

With all of that research experiance why aren't you going for MD/PhD? They are generally more forgiving about a lack of clinical experiance and volunteering because of the extra time commitment that research requires.

Er, unless you really want to do MD/PhD, I don't see why the above poster should choose it so he can avoid explaining why he wants to be an MD.

I would get on some volunteering really quick. From what LizzyM has said to other posters, hours do not really matter, they just want you to get something out of it. Go out and do something.

Anyways, you have some excellent numbers so I think you'll be able to get a lot of interviews. I would just make sure to have done something by then.

I didn't mean for my post to come across as "you should do MD/PhD to avoid explaining why you want to be an MD". From reading bacalaca's post, it sounded like they were much more into research than clinical stuff. If someone really likes research that much, I was questioning why they weren't considering MD/PhD - it seems like maybe that would be a good fit for the poster.

I didn't mean for my post to come across as "you should do MD/PhD to avoid explaining why you want to be an MD". From reading bacalaca's post, it sounded like they were much more into research than clinical stuff. If someone really likes research that much, I was questioning why they weren't considering MD/PhD - it seems like maybe that would be a good fit for the poster.

thanks for the advice, its an honest assessment. I just liked the clinical aspect better, and I will try my best to improve that part of my profile. research was just easier to do because of the professors I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.