*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would pop my stats up here to see how I stand. I am taking my MCAT May 16th, and I am veeerry worried about my verbal score. The HIGHEST I have gotten on a practice test (granted my last one was 2-3 weeks ago) was a 7 VR. My other sections are OK, but that verbal is going to kill me.

Just looking for a little advice, most of my stats are under my MDApps.

I can speak Spanish pretty well, but I wouldn't say completely fluently. Assuming I get a 7VR 10PS and 12 BS or around that, what are my chances?

I plan on applying everywhere in Texas.

Listen to OneDoc, he's right on the money with the 7 killing you. Well I've known people who've gotten into med school with a 7 but try your hardest to get at least an 8. I'm living proof of a 7 killing your chances of getting into med school.

However, with that being said, I think your gpa is great. I'm not sure if you should take the mcat again especially if you weren't scoring too great on the verbal to begin with. Your 29 should hold up in some places but not sure about texas. If you apply early then you should get a good amount of interviews IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Wiseguy,
if you choose MD-only I would try to get in some more patient contact experiance. If you apply MD/PhD, I think you could use a few more saftey schools because of your GPA and first MCAT bio score.

I just secured a job for the next year that will have me taking histories, blood samples, vitals, etc. at several types of clinics. It's a bit late in the game for my first non-shadowing work with patients, but it's the best I can do at this point.

Do you really think schools will care about my first PS score? Sure it was an 8, but for a number of reasons I took that test without really studying (for 3 weeks while working 60+ hrs/wk) and I got a 14 on PS the second time.

I just secured a job for the next year that will have me taking histories, blood samples, vitals, etc. at several types of clinics. It's a bit late in the game for my first non-shadowing work with patients, but it's the best I can do at this point.

Do you really think schools will care about my first PS score? Sure it was an 8, but for a number of reasons I took that test without really studying (for 3 weeks while working 60+ hrs/wk) and I got a 14 on PS the second time.
Most schools will look at your latest score. They will also see that you have improved greatly over time. Just be sure to know what to say when they ask you what you thought went wrong the first time around.

btw, a jump from 8 to 14 is amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, need some urgent advice!

I still haven't submitted my UVA apps (deadline 22nd) and I have low MCAT score 26O (PS11/ BS9/ VR 6 ) and Out of state. Should I still bother to apply?

My GPA is 3.6 and I have great EC - lots of clinical and leadership experiences, community involvement, some research including one that is public-health/clinical, shadowing etcetc

Looking at the 3 essays I dread and wanted to see if it's worth even my time (I could work on my grad school apps and other school /extracurricular projects). Writing any secondaries usu takes me like a day at least... Please advice!

I got waitlisted at UVA (out of state) with a 36R MCAT, 3.98 science GPA, 3.84 overall, some leadership/volunteering, and 2 years clinical research experience at Harvard. Although I think numbers aren't everything and if you are personally a good match for their school, you might have a shot. I would recommend re-taking the MCAT though. Good luck!

The job next year sounds great. Its always tough to scramble at the last minute to fill a hole in your app, but I'm sure it will be a rewarding experiance and something to talk about at interviews. Most schools likely won't care about your first score, but some schools have different methods of looking at multiple MCATs. Some look at the highest, some average the scores and some look at both scores. For MD only, you will be just fine. As I said in my original post, I though for MD/PhD this could come up because it is so competivite and the score was on a science section, but for MD-only everything should be fine.

Just thought I would pop my stats up here to see how I stand. I am taking my MCAT May 16th, and I am veeerry worried about my verbal score. The HIGHEST I have gotten on a practice test (granted my last one was 2-3 weeks ago) was a 7 VR. My other sections are OK, but that verbal is going to kill me.

Just looking for a little advice, most of my stats are under my MDApps.

I can speak Spanish pretty well, but I wouldn't say completely fluently. Assuming I get a 7VR 10PS and 12 BS or around that, what are my chances?

I plan on applying everywhere in Texas.

I agree with what everyone has said: that 7 is going to hurt you - but I'm just elling you what you already know.

Apply early (I mean REALLY REALLY early - try to submit TMDSAS before you even have your scores back). If the trend continues, the match is a joke. You really need to be gunning for those prematch offers. Are you planning on applying to Baylor too?

Looking over your ECs:
(You lived in WALTON!?!? :barf: )
Anyway - I think you have all your bases covered. How long have you been volunteering at the hospital? All 4 years?
:laugh: The Cyclotron :laugh: - I know someone who works there. That'll give you something interesting to talk about during interviews I would think.

Anythoughts here -

Here are my stats:

UG GPA = 2.9
Post Bac GPA = 3.9 (2 yrs of work)
MCAT - 30 (likely retaking it)
Research Experience
Volunteer Experience
Great LORs

It appears that my UG GPA will not go up much more. What is the best avenue for me to get into Med School? I am thinking about an SMP type program. Overall, is med school in my reach?

I am wondering if you could give your brutaly honost opinion on the strength/weakness of my application. I am not a traditional applicant in that I went into public health after undergrad. I knew that my undergrad grades would not cut it at the time.
-MCAT: 30 (11p 10v 9b)
-undergrad overall gpa: 3.21
-undergrad science: 2.98
-Grad GPA: 3.93
-Grad Science: 4.0 (although only for 3 classes)
-lots of volunteering (nursing homes, hospice, ER)
-clinical research volunteer
-Public health research
-lots of shadowing
-working part time during grad school in health prevention research
- MPH , finished first of august

from the end of my junior year and through grad school my grades have remained b/w 3.5 to 4 every semester.

I applied for '07 with only a few grades into my MPH for this coming fall and to only a handful of schools. So far I have made top 1/3 of waitlist at the school that I am at PH for as an out of state applicant. I plan on reapplying this summer as an in-state applicant now to the same school and the other state school. I really want to remain in the region.

thanks for the help

Anythoughts here -

Here are my stats:

UG GPA = 2.9
Post Bac GPA = 3.9 (2 yrs of work)
MCAT - 30 (likely retaking it)
Research Experience
Volunteer Experience
Great LORs

It appears that my UG GPA will not go up much more. What is the best avenue for me to get into Med School? I am thinking about an SMP type program. Overall, is med school in my reach?
A US allo school may be out of reach for you because your UG gpa is what it is. Your mcat score isn't the problem. There have been people however who've gotten into an US allo school with a 3.0 gpa and a 30 mcat after doing a SMP. It'll definitely be an uphill climb for you. When you apply, apply broadly to D.O. schools as well along with the carribean. The Carribean isn't that bad, all things considered. Good Luck! :luck:

31 P (9V, 11B, 11P) Took again in April, waiting for scores.
Physical Science Major
3.94 science
3.95 non-science
Research (publication pending)
Clinical (EMS/hospital volunteering)
Two leadership positions (campus wide)
Tutoring

Comment on chances at:

Ohio State
CWRU
Northwestern
Pitt
Wake

Hey everyone, pretty new to this but I have seen a lot of great info from you guys! I just got my mcat scores back from the april 2007 so my app is ready...tell me what u think...

MCAT
PS 11
VR 10
BS 8

TOTAL 29N (I know low bio and low writing sample but Im a TX resident applying to TX schools with avgs of like 28-30)

-Undergrad GPA 3.75
-Honors college - working on thesis in a molecular genetics lab
-4+ summers of hopital volunteer work
-Work as a TA for undergrad bio classes
-Internships/volunteer work with the local med school UTHSCSA
-John Hopkins Summer premed program in anatomy (class of 30)
-Ambassador for my school

Do I have a shot for my #1 UT-Houston......Should I apply to UTSW or Baylor?

27N VR10 PS8 BS9
Biology Major
Sci GPA 3.86
Cum. GPA 3.66

Research -- 1.5 years in neurobiology. Presently working on a solo project which could be published. Also, this project will allow me to graduate with honors for my degree. Few poster presentations/seminars and one second author paper/one fourth author in academic limbo.

Clinical -- Shadowed an ENT during office hours + OR; Pulmonologist office hours; Obligatory ED shadowing

Leadership -- Various supervisor positions at a Fortune 50 company for 2.5 years; My sanity started to slip so I left on good terms.
Student Mentor for an underprivileged school district.

Summer Plans -- research(playing lots of solitaire), some clinical research/internship on diseases and such in the ED also. Does bar hopping count as an EC?

Hobbies/Non-academic stuff -- have'm plus I'm not a sociopath.

I'm a Jersey resident so my plans are to apply to the Philly schoolsI(Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, UPENN for giggles), UMDNJ-RWJ, not sure about Newark. Penn State. Maryland? Seems like I'm a little PA heavy. I'm not really sure what to do in regards with taking the MCAT again. Any suggestions, comments, donations are appreciated.

Stats: 3.7 cumulative
3.7 Science
29R MCAT (just recieved scores and planning on retaking. My practice exams were averaging around 33-36)

I graduated in 2004 Magna Cum Laude with a B.S. in Biology (not sure if it matters but I graduated in three years instead of 4)
E.C: 2.5 years research experience (two different labs: one molecular and one clinical) with 4 posters, 1 paper, 1 NIH travel grant to the 2004 ARVO conference to present my research (a huge conference for the Eye Research field)
2 years as an assistant organizer of Book Club and Moms group (183 members), shadowed a couple of doctors, and I lifegaurded for three years.

I am severely disappointed with my MCAT score, especially because I really want to go to the University of Michigan. Not only do I love the school but it is just the best possible location for my family. Michigan is a top ten school and very competitive so please be brutally honest...I need to know how much work I need to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
if i apply in the summer with an mcat score of 27N but plan on retaking it in august, will my application be tossed? my gpa is 3.4
will there be any benefits for applying early? or will they not review my application until they get my 2nd mcat score?

I am in an ba/md program, so I am guaranteed a spot at a great med school...but i love big cities!
and the school would have to be topnotch in order for me to leave my deal here...

so what are my chances at Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Columbia?

-mcat 34Q *(12,12, 10 on verbal)
-4.0 gpa
-2years research
-pending publication (ors)
-2 years volunteer
-spanish interpreter at free clinic
-6 weeks doing human rights research on grant

Alright, this is my stats
-Just finished 3rd year at McGill University, Biological Science
-Canadian (no Green Card)
-GPA: 3.54 (I had 3.85 in first year, then had some circumstantial problem that has lead me almost to a clinical depression state and what-not...but the lowest grade I've ever got despite all the drama outside of school was B)
-MCAT: 10PS 9VB 10BS QWS (August 2006)
-I am registered for May 25th MCAT, and I took a full length last Saturday with no studying after August 2006, and scored 10PS, 7VB, 8BS
-Lots of lab experiences (part-time lab assistant since first year till now; research in sophomore year summer and junior year summer; independent study project in junior school year)
-Personal LORs...(now I just have to ask them to write me letters)
-Various leadership experiences
-Hosptial volunteering in freshmen year summer (nursing unit, two full days a week in summer)
-2 years of volunteering in church organization (serving the homeless)
-English as the second language, and came to Canada 6 years ago
(that makes 3 years of canadian highschool before university life)

Here's the thing. I know that my GPA is not stellar and my MCAT is mediocre. And I am not so sure if I should still retake MCAT. I'd like apply early so that I have better chances. To be honest, I'd like to apply to some top tier schools...Are they out of my reach? And what are the 2nd tier schools that I stand a decent chance? Me being an international student would be some problem...

I really really need advice. I thank whoever responds in advance :D

Can someone comment on my chances? I just got my April MCAT scores and will be applying this summer. Thanks!

August 2006 MCAT
PS: 11
VR: 6
BS: 10
27Q

April 2007 MCAT

VR: 7
BS: 11
29P

I know I should probably retake, but I would rather apply early

BCPM GPA: 3.95
Overall: 3.9

UCSD undergrad, 1.5 years research lab; volunteer at private clinic (1 year); volunteer in homeless shelter (1 year); volunteer at free medical clinic in Mexico (2 years); bio teaching assistant; 1/2 year research (working on paper); involved in various clubs; volunteer tutor; basketball coach

What "level" of colleges should I be looking at?

i'm from california

Cumulative GPA : 3.53
BCPM GPA : 3.74
Major GPA (Biology) 3.92
my cumulative GPA is from my 1st 2 years of college (major jumping/unmotivated) i have a really strong upward trend... after my 2nd year, ive only had 3 B's, the rest A's.

MCAT: 10VR, 13PS, 13BS... 36S

anyways... given that this is a relatively new decision my EC's aren't as extensive as others

2 summers internship at an electrical engineering firm
2 year job at a cafe
assistant coaching a youth basketball team
2 years snorkeling club
2 years photography club
1 year habitat for humanity
Research job at a neurosciences lab doing drosophila behavior (since august)
Volunteering at the local hospital 1 year.

27N VR10 PS8 BS9
Biology Major
Sci GPA 3.86
Cum. GPA 3.66

Research -- 1.5 years in neurobiology. Presently working on a solo project which could be published. Also, this project will allow me to graduate with honors for my degree. Few poster presentations/seminars and one second author paper/one fourth author in academic limbo.

Clinical -- Shadowed an ENT during office hours + OR; Pulmonologist office hours; Obligatory ED shadowing

Leadership -- Various supervisor positions at a Fortune 50 company for 2.5 years; My sanity started to slip so I left on good terms.

Summer Plans -- research(playing lots of solitaire), some clinical research/internship on diseases and such in the ED also. Does bar hopping count as an EC?

I'm a Jersey resident so my plans are to apply to the Philly schoolsI(Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, UPENN for giggles), UMDNJ-RWJ, not sure about Newark. Penn State. Maryland? Seems like I'm a little PA heavy. I'm not really sure what to do in regards with taking the MCAT again. Any suggestions, comments, donations are appreciated.

I think you should retake the MCAT (that is, assuming you were scoring at least a 30 on your practice tests). The other parts of your application are fine, but I think the 27 will hurt you.
Also you might want to consider Downstate in NY and NYMC.

Hey everyone, pretty new to this but I have seen a lot of great info from you guys! I just got my mcat scores back from the april 2007 so my app is ready...tell me what u think...

MCAT
PS 11
VR 10
BS 8

TOTAL 29N (I know low bio and low writing sample but Im a TX resident applying to TX schools with avgs of like 28-30)

-Undergrad GPA 3.75

Hey guys. im kinda stuck right now so let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks in advance

I took the mcat twice. 23N (8 PS, 7 VR, 8BS) in august and 26Q (10PS, 9VR, 7BS)this april.
GPA: 3.76 with science: 3.6
Major: Biology
State: OH

Researched for 6 months in a microbio lab
Researched for 6 months in a clinical setting
Volunteered at a hospital 3 years
Officers in 2 clubs + active member in many others

What schools do I have a chance to get in this yr in ohio?
What schools do I have a chance to get in this yr in the us?

Should apply MD, DO, Caribbean or apply to all 3?
Should I take the MCAT one more time in Aug. even though 3 is frowned apon by med schools?

Once again thanks guys

MCAT: V-9 BS-10 PS-13 W-O Total = 32-O
Overall GPA and Science GPA: Both 3.4 (I'm a B.S. in chemistry, so the majority of my classes have been science).

I have two summers of clinical research experience in Radiology and several publications. I also think that my personal statement is pretty great.

I am an Illinois resident with ties to New England and Philly. Here's my tentative:

Harvard (I know, I know, I just had to throw it in!)
Mayo
UChicago
Northwestern
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Drexel
Jefferson
St. Louis University
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Univ of Illinois
SIU
Medical College of Wisconsin

Hit me with it!

Hey guys,

I'm a 3rd year at UC Berkeley double majoring in Molecular Cell Biology (Immunology emphasis) and Economics.

I'm planning to do honors thesis for both Molecular Cell Bio and Economics

CA Resident

GPA OVERALL: 3.67 (But probably 3.7 after this semester)
GPA BCPM: 3.7 ish (3.75+ excluding statistics)

Will take MCAT in several months (aiming 30-35)

I've worked as lab assistant for 1 year+, I've been volunteering at Alta Bates Med Center ER, volunteering at local free clinic, volunteered as tutor for elementary school students, volunteered as conversation partner for foreign exchange students, and shadowed doc for a year

I have philanthropy chair position at school's national honor society, been working as a chief information officer for a promotion/marketing firm, and I co-founded a savings fund (non-profit division from my company) to award scholarships to youths from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I've been doing inflammatory bowel disease research at UC Berkeley prof's lab and I'm gonna do summer research at Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI)'s immunobiology & vaccine development center

I'm planning to graduate with honors for both Molecular Cell Bio and Economics

What are my chances with med schools in general?
Especially top 20 schools?
What about OOS schools?

My top choices are

Northwestern
UCSF
UCI
UC DAVIS
UCSD
USC
UCLA
Columbia
Emory
Mayo
Ann Arbor
Vanderbilt
UVA
Washington Univ St. Louis
Univ Washington
Yale
Brown

Please respond =)

I am wondering if you could give your brutaly honost opinion on the strength/weakness of my application. I am not a traditional applicant in that I went into public health after undergrad. I knew that my undergrad grades would not cut it at the time.
-MCAT: 30 (11p 10v 9b)
-undergrad overall gpa: 3.21
-undergrad science: 2.98
-Grad GPA: 3.93
-Grad Science: 4.0 (although only for 3 classes)
-lots of volunteering (nursing homes, hospice, ER)
-clinical research volunteer
-Public health research
-lots of shadowing
-working part time during grad school in health prevention research
- MPH , finished first of august

from the end of my junior year and through grad school my grades have remained b/w 3.5 to 4 every semester.

I applied for '07 with only a few grades into my MPH for this coming fall and to only a handful of schools. So far I have made top 1/3 of waitlist at the school that I am at PH for as an out of state applicant. I plan on reapplying this summer as an in-state applicant now to the same school and the other state school. I really want to remain in the region.

thanks for the help

Sorry, but I have to keep my replies short (I'm on vacation in Germany!)

Your chances will only be better this year if you did things in the last year to significantly improve your application. Being in state will help too. If you are on the top 1/3 of the WL you might still get in this year though.

31 P (9V, 11B, 11P) Took again in April, waiting for scores.
Physical Science Major
3.94 science
3.95 non-science
Research (publication pending)
Clinical (EMS/hospital volunteering)
Two leadership positions (campus wide)
Tutoring

Comment on chances at:

Ohio State
CWRU
Northwestern
Pitt
Wake

It will be very important to get at least a ten in every section of the MCAT if you are applying to those schools. Hopefully you have good news on your latest MCAT. It would be great if your leadership is non-medical related. Also I don't see any shadowing. If you can get above a ten in every section of the MCAT I think you are in good shape, provided your ECs were done for significant lengths of time (more than 6 months).

MCAT
PS 11
VR 10
BS 8

-Undergrad GPA 3.75

For Baylor and UTSW your MCAT, especially the bio score may be a little low. Those could be your reach schools though. Hopefully you had quality clinical experience at the hospital that you can talk about in interviews. You didn't list any shadowing, which you definitely need. I don't know much about the UT schools. If your MCAT is a point of two from their average accepted applicant and your GPA is within 0.2 then you have a chance stats wise. Then its just about how you present yourself in your PS and your EC experiences.

27N VR10 PS8 BS9
Biology Major
Sci GPA 3.86
Cum. GPA 3.66

Your MCAT is low. Retaking it somewhat depends on where you want to go. If you want UPenn, then you must retake. Look at the MSAR to find the avg MCAT for your other schools, I'm not overly familiar with them.Your schools are PA heavy, but they are all private so that's no big deal. I'm guessing you want to stay in the region. Your research looks good. Don't put down that you have publications if they have not been accepted by a journal yet because you never know what can happen and you can always send a letter of update. If your shadowing experiences were more than just a couple of days then you are fine there. Since you are non-traditional it will be important to explain why medicine after business (can't say 'I went insane'). This is important for your PS.

Stats: 3.7 cumulative
3.7 Science
29R MCAT (just recieved scores and planning on retaking. My practice exams were averaging around 33-36)

I graduated in 2004 Magna Cum Laude with a B.S. in Biology (not sure if it matters but I graduated in three years instead of 4)
E.C: 2.5 years research experience (two different labs: one molecular and one clinical) with 4 posters, 1 paper, 1 NIH travel grant to the 2004 ARVO conference to present my research (a huge conference for the Eye Research field)
2 years as an assistant organizer of Book Club and Moms group (183 members), shadowed a couple of doctors, and I lifegaurded for three years.

I am severely disappointed with my MCAT score, especially because I really want to go to the University of Michigan. Not only do I love the school but it is just the best possible location for my family. Michigan is a top ten school and very competitive so please be brutally honest...I need to know how much work I need to do!

Your MCAT is on the low side, especially for michigan, but you know that. Your GPA is competitve. Graduating in 3 years doesn't matter to the ADCOMs I think, and could actually hurt you if 1. You don't have a broad educational background (did the bare minumum) and 2. AP/CLEP credit allowed you to finish early. Many schools, especially the top schools do not accept this credit so you need to find out what michigan's policies are (and the other schools you apply to). Your research is good. Looks like you could use more patient contact experience. Your chances at michigan in part depend on if you are in state. Retake the MCAT, but apply early and indicate that you are retaking.

if i apply in the summer with an mcat score of 27N but plan on retaking it in august, will my application be tossed? my gpa is 3.4
will there be any benefits for applying early? or will they not review my application until they get my 2nd mcat score?

There are always benefits to applying early, especially if your application has weak points. There is a way to indicate on AMCAS that you are retaking the MCAT, but I can't remember if schools will toss your application based on your first test if you say you are retaking. Do a search, because I know there have been threads on this. It might also vary school to school. I would be cautious when applying because you have a low MCAT and GPA. You could apply now to mid and lower tier schools and then add more depending on your next MCAT.

I am in an ba/md program, so I am guaranteed a spot at a great med school...but i love big cities!
and the school would have to be topnotch in order for me to leave my deal here...

so what are my chances at Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Columbia?

-mcat 34Q *(12,12, 10 on verbal)
-4.0 gpa
-2years research
-pending publication (ors)
-2 years volunteer
-spanish interpreter at free clinic
-6 weeks doing human rights research on grant

I hope you have a better reason than the size of the city for wanting to leave your spot at a 'great med school'. The fact is that you should have thought about the fit of the school/location when you accepted the ba/md program. Applying out of the ba/md program is risky, because right now you have a spot. To me this is kind of like turning down an acceptance to reapply because you didn't like the school who accepted you. Adcoms don't look highly on this. I guess what I'm saying is that this is a risky move. Your stats are good. Your ECs look a little bare and no shadowing. Leaving the ba/md program seems too risky to me, but ultimately you have to decide.

Alright, this is my stats
-Just finished 3rd year at McGill University, Biological Science
-Canadian (no Green Card)
-GPA: 3.54 (I had 3.85 in first year, then had some circumstantial problem that has lead me almost to a clinical depression state and what-not...but the lowest grade I've ever got despite all the drama outside of school was B)
-MCAT: 10PS 9VB 10BS QWS (August 2006)
-I am registered for May 25th MCAT, and I took a full length last Saturday with no studying after August 2006, and scored 10PS, 7VB, 8BS
-Lots of lab experiences (part-time lab assistant since first year till now; research in sophomore year summer and junior year summer; independent study project in junior school year)
-Personal LORs...(now I just have to ask them to write me letters)
-Various leadership experiences
-Hosptial volunteering in freshmen year summer (nursing unit, two full days a week in summer)
-2 years of volunteering in church organization (serving the homeless)
-English as the second language, and came to Canada 6 years ago
(that makes 3 years of canadian highschool before university life)

Here's the thing. I know that my GPA is not stellar and my MCAT is mediocre. And I am not so sure if I should still retake MCAT. I'd like apply early so that I have better chances. To be honest, I'd like to apply to some top tier schools...Are they out of my reach? And what are the 2nd tier schools that I stand a decent chance? Me being an international student would be some problem...

I really really need advice. I thank whoever responds in advance :D

Are you only applying to US schools? I believe its very hard to go back to canada if you go to a US schools, but not the other way around. Canadian med schools are very difficult to get into though. I know at McGill the cutoff is 3.5 and 30 MCAt with 10 in each section. Not sure if this is standard for canadian schools. Looks like you could use some more patient contact and shadowing. If you don't retake the MCAT then the top tier schools are likely to be out of reach. For mid-tier schools, you will have to do some research yourself with the MSAR to find schools where your stats are competitive and who are friendly to international applicants. If it were me, I try to bring up your GPA, retake the MCAT, and get more patient contact and apply next year, if you want to apply to candian schools or if your heart is set on higher tier schools. Otherwise give it a shot. Apply early and broadly.

Can someone comment on my chances? I just got my April MCAT scores and will be applying this summer. Thanks!

August 2006 MCAT
VR: 6
BS: 10
27Q

April 2007 MCAT

VR: 7
BS: 11
29P

I know I should probably retake, but I would rather apply early

BCPM GPA: 3.95
Overall: 3.9

UCSD undergrad, 1.5 years research lab; volunteer at private clinic (1 year); volunteer in homeless shelter (1 year); volunteer at free medical clinic in Mexico (2 years); bio teaching assistant; 1/2 year research (working on paper); involved in various clubs; volunteer tutor; basketball coach

See my comments to bluestank about his 7 in VR. Unless you are ESL, this could tank your app. That being said, with two MCATs already you are unlikely to raise it without considerable effort. ECs look good but no shadowing listed.

Hey guys. im kinda stuck right now so let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks in advance

I took the mcat twice. 23N (8 PS, 7 VR, 8BS) in august and 26Q (10PS, 9VR, 7BS)this april.
GPA: 3.76 with science: 3.6
Major: Biology
State: OH

Researched for 6 months in a microbio lab
Researched for 6 months in a clinical setting
Volunteered at a hospital 3 years
Officers in 2 clubs + active member in many others

What schools do I have a chance to get in this yr in ohio?
What schools do I have a chance to get in this yr in the us?

Should apply MD, DO, Caribbean or apply to all 3?
Should I take the MCAT one more time in Aug. even though 3 is frowned apon by med schools?

Once again thanks guys

Your MCAT will preclude you for most US MD schools. I don't know the exact stats for the Ohio schools, so look at the MSAR to see if you have a shot at any OH Allo schools. Otherwise I think you need to apply DO and maybe caribbean. For DO you must have a LOR from a DO and I don't see any shadowing on your list. Look around the DO forums to see what schools you have a shot at. Only retake the MCAT if felt there was a significant reason why you scored so low the last two times.

MCAT: V-9 BS-10 PS-13 W-O Total = 32-O
Overall GPA and Science GPA: Both 3.4 (I'm a B.S. in chemistry, so the majority of my classes have been science).

I have two summers of clinical research experience in Radiology and several publications. I also think that my personal statement is pretty great.

I am an Illinois resident with ties to New England and Philly. Here's my tentative:

Harvard (I know, I know, I just had to throw it in!)
Mayo
UChicago
Northwestern
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Drexel
Jefferson
St. Louis University
Rush
Loyola Chicago
Univ of Illinois
SIU
Medical College of Wisconsin

Hit me with it!

Your GPA and MCAT are likely to be too low for Harvard, Northwestern and U Chicago. They are borderline (read: reach schools) at Mayo, Brown and Boston. Your research sounds good, but you didn't mention other ECs, which are very important. Look at the MSAR for schools where your GPA is within 0.2 of their avg accepted applicant and each section of your MCAT is within 1 point. Your 9 in verbal will hurt you at the upper tier schools as will your low GPA. Apply early and broadly to schools where your stats match theirs.

Hey guys,

I'm a 3rd year at UC Berkeley double majoring in Molecular Cell Biology (Immunology emphasis) and Economics.

I'm planning to do honors thesis for both Molecular Cell Bio and Economics

CA Resident

GPA OVERALL: 3.67 (But probably 3.7 after this semester)
GPA BCPM: 3.7 ish (3.75+ excluding statistics)

Will take MCAT in several months (aiming 30-35)

Statistics will be included in your BCPM. Hopefully you are not taking the MCAT too late. This could hurt your app. Submit your apply early and then add schools after you get your MCAT back or cautiously based on practice test scores.

I've worked as lab assistant for 1 year+, I've been volunteering at Alta Bates Med Center ER, volunteering at local free clinic, volunteered as tutor for elementary school students, volunteered as conversation partner for foreign exchange students, and shadowed doc for a year

I have philanthropy chair position at school's national honor society, been working as a chief information officer for a promotion/marketing firm, and I co-founded a savings fund (non-profit division from my company) to award scholarships to youths from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I've been doing inflammatory bowel disease research at UC Berkeley prof's lab and I'm gonna do summer research at Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI)'s immunobiology & vaccine development center

I'm planning to graduate with honors for both Molecular Cell Bio and Economics

What are my chances with med schools in general?
Especially top 20 schools?
What about OOS schools?

My top choices are

Northwestern
UCSF
UCI
UC DAVIS
UCSD
USC
UCLA
Columbia
Emory
Mayo
Ann Arbor
Vanderbilt
UVA
Washington Univ St. Louis
Univ Washington
Yale
Brown

Please respond =)

Your ECs look good. Your chances depend in large part on your MCAT, both the total score and each section's score. You will need at least a 33 for the places you are looking at. U Wash doesn't take OOS (a few URMs). U Mich is also tough OOS. Unless you get in the mid 30s I wouldn't apply to too many OOS public schools.

Nontraditional student with an Ivy undergrad degree. Some EC's and pretty good LOR's. I do pro bono work suing health care companies to make sure that they actually pay when they are supposed to, and I also help poor people find affordable coverage.

The stats:
uGPA: 2.7
Post-Bac GPA--> Science GPA: 4.0
Law School GPA (don't do it btw): 3.0
MCAT: 36R

From Michigan, and I would like to go to school either there or somewhere in the Midwest.

My list:
UMich (#1)
Wayne State
MSU
MSUCOM
Ohio State
Wisconsin
NEOUCOM
U of Cincinnati
KCOM
Creighton
Pretty much anywhere I can get in.

What do you folks think? Thanks for your time.

Your MCAT is low, but you know that. Your GPA is fine, but it won't stand out at Michigan. Graduating in 3 years doesn't matter to the ADCOMs and could actually hurt you if 1. You don't have a broad educational background (did the bare minumum) and 2. AP/CLEP credit allowed you to finish early. Many schools, especially the top schools do not accept this credit so you need to find out what michigan's policies are (and the other schools you apply to). Your research is good. Hopefully your shadowing experiences were for more than just a day. Looks like you lack patient contact experience. Your chances at michigan in part depend on if you are in state. If you aren't, I just don't see it happening. Like you said its a top school and your MCAT is low. Retake the MCAT, but apply early and indicate that you are retaking.

Thankfs for replying! I am In-state for Michigan. I graduated in three years because I took on heavy courseloads....only 8 credits came from AP and they were not counted as "Major" credits just as "extra" credit for lack of a better way of describing it. I know that my patient contact is low, but between working fulltime, and raising a 2 year old by myself (my husband is in the military and deployed overseas currently) I just run of hours in a day. My shadowing was consistent..I did 1 day a week for a couple of weeks. Also since I currently work at a Medical school I attend Grand Rounds evey now and then to get a feel for those. I know it is a long shot and I thank you for your honesty! I have a lot of work to do, but hopefully this will motivate me to kick MCAT butt this time!

Originally Posted by Psychotropic
31 P (9V, 11B, 11P) Aug 2006
31 S (7V, 13B, 11P) April 2007
Physical Science Major
3.94 science
3.95 non-science
Research (both medical/non-medical-publication pending for medical research)
Clinical (EMS/hospital volunteering/shadowing all throughout college)
Two leadership positions (campus wide/non-medical related)
Tutoring

Comment on chances at:

CWRU
Ohio State

Got my MCAT scores back and I'm not happy. Writing score went up significantly, but that doesn't matter since that verbal drop will probably kill me in the end. I hold an acceptance to a med school via bacc/MD program (non-binding), but I really am gunning for Case(I am an Ohio resident). I'm just afraid that my MCAT scores will keep me out. Comments/Suggestions/Ideas?

Sorry, but I have to keep my replies short (I'm on vacation in Germany!)

Your chances will only be better this year if you did things in the last year to significantly improve your application. Being in state will help too. If you are on the top 1/3 of the WL you might still get in this year though.

Thanks for the reply. This may be a dumb question: Since I originaly applied last August and interviewed in October I have done a lot to enhance my application (straight A's for another year, attending healthcare leadership conference, competed in national healthcare competition, shadowed a prominent doc in the area and conducted research with him) and throughout this past year I sent updates to the adcom on these activities. Since the adcom is aware of this, if I reapply this summer with all of this now on my AMCAS will it be old news to them? Or are these the type of improvements you are talking about for next year?

thanks again for the help

Physical Science Major
3.94 science
3.95 non-science
Tutoring

Comment on chances at:

CWRU
Ohio State

Got my MCAT scores back and I'm not happy. Writing score went up significantly, but that doesn't matter since that verbal drop will probably kill me in the end. I hold an acceptance to a med school via bacc/MD program (non-binding), but I really am gunning for Case(I am an Ohio resident). I'm just afraid that my MCAT scores will keep me out. Comments/Suggestions/Ideas?
The 7 is gonna hurt you definitely. I think your first score was pretty good. I would have advised you not to retake with that score. However, there have been people who got into schools with a 7 so it's possible.
Use the LizzyM score to get an idea if you should apply or not.

LizzyM formula = Apply if
(your gpa*10 + MCAT score > or = to avg gpa of that school*10 + avg mcat -1)

OneDoc - good job cleaning house on those questions. The april rush was pretty rough.

Physical Science Major
3.94 science
3.95 non-science
Tutoring

Comment on chances at:

CWRU
Ohio State

Outside of your MCAT, your stats are good. I think it's not just your 7 on VR that will keep you back, but I'm sure you will be questioned at each school why you retook in the first place and why you didn't improve your score, so make sure you have a good reason for that! What may help you is that some schools might take the best sections of your 2 MCATs combined (ie 9 13 11), in which case your MCAT would be pretty decent. You may want to call the schools you are interested and see what their policy is on that. Obviously, you will still be questioned about it, but at least it might not screen you out of interviews.

Nontraditional student with an Ivy undergrad degree. Some EC's and pretty good LOR's. I do pro bono work suing health care companies to make sure that they actually pay when they are supposed to, and I also help poor people find affordable coverage.

The stats:
uGPA: 2.7
Post-Bac GPA--> Science GPA: 4.0
Law School GPA (don't do it btw): 3.0
MCAT: 36R

From Michigan, and I would like to go to school either there or somewhere in the Midwest.

My list:
UMich (#1)
Wayne State
MSU
MSUCOM
Ohio State
Wisconsin
NEOUCOM
U of Cincinnati
KCOM
Creighton
Pretty much anywhere I can get in.

What do you folks think? Thanks for your time.

Your background is interesting but your UG GPA is prohibitively low. The schools will be able to see your UG GPA separated from you grad GPA. You should give michigan a shot, but I would definitely apply broadly to both MD and DO schools. Also make sure you have significant clinical experiance to help you explain why you have decided medicine, and not law, is right for you.

Thanks for the reply. This may be a dumb question: Since I originaly applied last August and interviewed in October I have done a lot to enhance my application (straight A's for another year, attending healthcare leadership conference, competed in national healthcare competition, shadowed a prominent doc in the area and conducted research with him) and throughout this past year I sent updates to the adcom on these activities. Since the adcom is aware of this, if I reapply this summer with all of this now on my AMCAS will it be old news to them? Or are these the type of improvements you are talking about for next year?

thanks again for the help

They are still improvements since they weren't on your primary or secondary. Letters of update are great but I think that putting all of those things on a primary will help you to present yourself as a strong applicant, because it is all in one place. Definitely highlight your improvements in your PS.

I hope you have a better reason than the size of the city for wanting to leave your spot at a 'great med school'. The fact is that you should have thought about the fit of the school/location when you accepted the ba/md program. Applying out of the ba/md program is risky, because right now you have a spot. To me this is kind of like turning down an acceptance to reapply because you didn't like the school who accepted you. Adcoms don't look highly on this. I guess what I'm saying is that this is a risky move. Your stats are good. Your ECs look a little bare and no shadowing. Leaving the ba/md program seems too risky to me, but ultimately you have to decide.

Thanks for the reply. Actually the program is non-binding, so I can apply to other schools without giving up my spot at that school. So it's really just a risk of wasting my money.

Here I go...

August 2004 MCAT: 12 V, 7 PS, 8 BS= 27S
January 2007 MCAT: 11V, 8 PS, 10 BS= 29O

gpa 3.64, science around a 3.55

Research experience- summer research assistant, year long senior thesis, 1+ year currently in a psychiatric research lab (tons of patient contact). I don't have any publications but the research I'm currently doing will be published.

Volunteered through AmeriCorps for a year- worked out of a school though, unfortunately not very clinical. I've also done a ton of volunteering throughout college- but again, not clinical

Lots of shadowing (5 different docs- about a week of just shadowing for each doc)- won't be obtaining letters from them though, as I haven't seen them in a couple of years.

Great LOR (one's a harvard med professor- maybe that will help?)

leadership experience in college

I'd rather not take the MCAT again- especially since I didn't study for August, then studied my A$$ off for Jan but my PS score really didn't change- let alone my overall =( . But, if it comes down to it I'd rather take the test again then not get in!

I'm a FL resident but would rather go to a New England school. I'll be applying to basically everywhere in FL, New England, Pennsylvania and New York....

Any advice is always appreciated!

Here I go...

August 2004 MCAT: 12 V, 7 PS, 8 BS= 27S
January 2007 MCAT: 11V, 8 PS, 10 BS= 29O

gpa 3.64, science around a 3.55

Research experience- summer research assistant, year long senior thesis, 1+ year currently in a psychiatric research lab (tons of patient contact). I don't have any publications but the research I'm currently doing will be published.

Volunteered through AmeriCorps for a year- worked out of a school though, unfortunately not very clinical. I've also done a ton of volunteering throughout college- but again, not clinical

Lots of shadowing (5 different docs- about a week of just shadowing for each doc)- won't be obtaining letters from them though, as I haven't seen them in a couple of years.

Great LOR (one's a harvard med professor- maybe that will help?)

leadership experience in college

I'd rather not take the MCAT again- especially since I didn't study for August, then studied my A$$ off for Jan but my PS score really didn't change- let alone my overall =( . But, if it comes down to it I'd rather take the test again then not get in!

I'm a FL resident but would rather go to a New England school. I'll be applying to basically everywhere in FL, New England, Pennsylvania and New York....

Any advice is always appreciated!

I'm new to this, but I personally know 3 people with MCATs of 29 who now are med students. I'd say don't take it over, apply early and with your gpa and experiences (americorps, etc.) , you have a good shot of getting in. good luck!

3.42GPA, with a 32O. I'm pretty worried. i dont know if I should even apply this year now. I just wanna stay in California. ANY school in california.

I have about a year of research in molecular biology and pathology (i want to go into histopathology). Worked at UCI medical school on a project to analyze a model for cardiomyopathies in mice.

I have worked in molecular biology

I worked full time throughout sophomore-senior year, due to my father loosing his job, and on disability. (~20k/year)

I have also been on dance teams for hip hop

Did community organizing for a Filipino studies group for a few years

Worked for public health as a youth intern for alcohol policy throughout highschool.

Going to spain for the summer (i dont know how to put that into my application) for a foreign language intensive (for course units)

Have done some outreach for the gay community, and have recently (last week) attained a leadership position.

What do you guys think?

My top schools are

UC irvine
UC LA
USC
Loma linda
UCSF and stanford (oh to dream =D)
and UCSD
and also UW at seattle, since it rocks.

I'm not too worried about interviews... as long as i can land one, I think i'm fine. I love interviews.

:cry:

Verbal Reasoning (VR):10 Percentile Range: 69.1 - 82.5Physical Sciences (PS):11Percentile Range: 80.9 - 89Writing Sample (WS):O Percentile Range: 41.6 - 57.2Biological Sciences (BS):11 Percentile Range: 78.3 - 87.9Total Score:32O Percentile Range: 83.4 - 87.2
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.