The old community college vs. 4 year university debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a lead article on SDN

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2009/04/community-college-and-professional-school-admissions/

This will shed some light for math legend and darklord.

Air Bud

This is a solid article and a good read for any pre health student. Although taking an occasional summer class, such as history of something, is fine, it would be wise to take your BCPM classes at a four year institution. Our pre med advisor at pitt beat this horse to death, so it seems that graduate programs do discriminate on the basis college selectivity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 70+ credits from a C.C----(& all pre-req's except physics)...

I had a 3.49 Comm college GPA.......but now, after 3 semesters @ a University, I received a 3.5, 4.0, & am anticipating another 4.0 semester after my Physics 2 final exam in the morning..(I already received A's in all my other Bio. classes)....I love the fact that I received a great foundation @ my C.C vs. the huge class size @ a university...I also had NO problems getting a 20/21 on my DAT, & securing interviews to ALL the pod. schools I applied to.

I have 70+ credits from a C.C----(& all pre-req's except physics)...

I had a 3.49 Comm college GPA.......but now, after 3 semesters @ a University, I received a 3.5, 4.0, & am anticipating another 4.0 semester after my Physics 2 final exam in the morning..(I already received A's in all my other Bio. classes)....I love the fact that I received a great foundation @ my C.C vs. the huge class size @ a university...I also had NO problems getting a 20/21 on my DAT, & securing interviews to ALL the pod. schools I applied to.

That is a good point; Community colleges tend to have smaller more personal class sizes. At larger Universities, it is not uncommon to have 100+ students in a class. How can 100+ students in a class room be conducive to learning? Plus, you are going to get out of it what you put into, right????? Are the text books inferrior at a CC, probably not! I do not understand the logic at work here, but it doesn't change the fact that some adcoms look at CC unfavorably.

Are the text books inferrior at a CC, probably not!

Actually, When I was taking zoology @ JU, I cross-checked the book with my C.C & they were using the same text book......Same with A&P, OChem 1&2..(I ended up taking them @ my C.C; which was the difference between paying $857 PER credit hour VS. $92 cr/hr)......

On a quick note, a difference that I was kinda felt weird about was the fact that my OChem2 professor (@ my C.C) actually had his Ph.D in PChem (Physical Chemistry) & not Ochem..Granted that he def. knew his $h!t, I always wondered if it would've been different @ JU where the ONLY OChem professor was a young woman from Russia who was brillant, but had the rep. of FAILING majority of the students...Seriously, most of the students I talked to had taken OChem2 with her atleast once & were all struggling to make a C in the course the 2nd time around...(Class test avg. was about 52%)...Oh, & these were some bright students, not dumb@sses,,,

Ouch......Another reason why I :love: my C.C....

University has more competition then a CC. This means getting an A is harder. While you may learn just as much at a CC the trend is that people going to a CC will not do as well as those who went to a University. Simple really.

University has more competition then a CC. This means getting an A is harder. While you may learn just as much at a CC the trend is that people going to a CC will not do as well as those who went to a University. Simple really.

Got actual stats to back up that claim or are you just rambling??? Actually, I've taken plenty of classes @ my C.C that were hands down harder than my Univ. classes...For instance, I studied my @ss off taking OChem2 @ my C.C........On the flip side, challenging Univ. classes like my Molecular Cell Biology (BIO412) & Advanced Ornithology (BIO407) were actually easier for me...(Disregarding the fact that one is chem & the others are bio is not the point--we are looking @ level of difficulty), I made an "A" in both those bio. classes, but a "B" in OChem2, YET OChem was my strongest/highest section on my DAT, which was a 23...
SO, by your logic, I should be doing poorer in my academics since I started @ a C.C....but in actuality my final C.C gpa was 3.49, but after 3 semesters @ a Univ. with a 3.5, 4.0, & 4.0 I guess I'm not doing as well as someone who started @ a Univ. in the beginning...

I do agree with you that a Univ. has more competition than a C.C to a POINT.--Are we comparing Podunk University vs. a well known C.C like FCCJ (in which fccj also offers BA/BS degrees) b/c I can tell you that there's lot of comp. @ that C.C in addition of 5 huge campuses in Jax.....OR...are we comparing competition of univ's like HARVARD vs. a podunk C.C ??.....There are soooooo many variables to consider, so your statement is a bit vague and seems somewhat bias...

Yah I would totally agree.

Whether it's true or not, it's pretty widely assumed that CC and/or online university courses are a lot easier to do well in. I'm sure there are some great CC courses in science and math, but I'd make a point to take all the science and math courses for a pre-med req at a 4yr university.

If you can, save a few bucks and take CC liberal education classes in summer... just be 100% sure they'll transfer before taking em. I took about 8 or 10 total credits at the local CC in summer sessions, but just philosophy, communication, arts, etc.

I used my CC to take almost all my liberal arts classes, but I did not take any BCPM.

Smart planning allowed me to use my CC to graduate one year early from high school and knock out all liberal arts GE classes.

Now, I am in a three year BS in Biology plan at my university which I will be attending full time in the fall.

CCs in the evening, online, and in the summer saved me a total of 2 years of school!

CCs can be an awesome tool if you use them correctly.

Some CC's are for sure better then some Universities out there. In general the majority of Universities are going to be better. I would put my money on a University educated student over a CC one. I have seen exceptions though. A better way to look at it is that almost every student who gets an A or a high B at a University is likely to be successful whereas at a CC students with an A or B would not. Both give you options to succeed but one is better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything is relative. Do you consider a fancy UC Berkeley BA in Art History successful over a graduate of a CC PA or RN program.

The CC graduate has a stable job, with good pay, and with little or no student loans.

The Berkeley graduate has probably 50-100k in loans and does not have a job. However he or she has a prestige of being a Berkeley graduate

In the end, it depends on whatever you consider successful.

Everything is relative. Do you consider a fancy UC Berkeley BA in Art History successful over a graduate of a CC PA or RN program.

The CC graduate has a stable job, with good pay, and with little or no student loans.

The Berkeley graduate has probably 50-100k in loans and does not have a job. However he or she has a prestige of being a Berkeley graduate

In the end, it depends on whatever you consider successful.

Darklord, this is the smartest thing I have ever heard you say. This is a debate that won't be easily solved. You won't find many CC people saying no to CC's and 4 years saying no to 4 years. I think that the financial crisis and cost of debt may change the discussion on this debate over the next few years. Looking outside of the healthcare industry, I think that something needs to be done about having the bachelors degree the default degree for most white collar jobs and even some blue collar jobs. They can design test for anything these days. Figure out who is the smartest person for the job. It might turn out that it is the 29 yr old college dropout who ran his own business for a few years instead of the 22 year old state university graduate.

Since I can't go more than a few posts without making incindiary comments, let me throw this one out there. If you have friends that are english majors or communications majors or stuff like that....smack them in the head and tell them to quit wasting their money. Also, I found this to be vey interesting
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/opinion/27taylor.html

No worries. Community will get you there. I took many thus far, that work out fine for any post bacc. program or professional school. Save money and do well, and on the MCAT too, by working hard and you'll get in.

]No worries. Community will get you there. [/b]I took many thusfar, that work out fine for any post bacc. program or professional school. Save money and do well, and on the MCAT too, by working hard and you'll get in.

Factually speaking, not entirely true.

I can tell you first hand this is true. I don't know why people try to argue it and ofcourse there are always going to be exceptions. If you can get away with taking courses at a CC to save some money then by all means do it. But when things get competitive there will be an indirect advantage to having gone to a competitive 4 yr institution. It's not the end-all be-all ofcourse, but it helps.

I'm afraid that this argument isn't entirely accurate. I have several friends that are on the admissions committees of major medical schools, dental schools, veterinary schools, law schools, etc.

There is a HUGE difference on how applicants are viewed depending upon the undergraduate institute they are coming from. The only "standard" that can be compared is the DAT, MCAT, etc. So yes, if some community college grad "nails" the DAT or MCAT, he/she has a "decent" shot.

But.... as a general rule that does NOT happen very often. Applicants from different schools actually get placed in different "piles". Then they are separated by GPA and by MCAT/DAT scores.

Students from top tier schools such as the IVY League schools, Stanford, Duke, Washington University (St. Louis), Emory, Vanderbilt, Tufts, etc., that graduate with a 3.85 are looked upon a little differently than students graduating from other schools, let alone community colleges.

Don't kid yourself, there IS a difference and the professional schools know there is a difference. Once in a while these schools will find a "diamond in the rough", meaning an excellent candidate from a community college, but that's rare and an exception.

The competition at most professional schools, especially top professional schools is fierce and they can be VERY picky/choosy and they ARE!!

If you don't believe me, just go on to the medical staff directory of ANY hospital and click on the name of any doctor on staff and look at the doctor's CV, and I challenge you to find ANY doctor that lists a community college on his/her CV.

I sat on the credentials committee of a hospital and several surgical centers as well as a large insurance company and have NEVER seen any doctor that had a community college listed on his/her CV....NEVER.

Good points. I agree that if a CC is known as a place of inflated grades, or mill, then yes adcoms can sift that out having had prior students fail from that CC. But often CC's will do the job in vast majority of cases. It is nice to have university classes but if penny-pinched CC will usually suffice for most people.

Other than education, other differences exist between large universities and community college. While my friends went to 13th and 14th grade, living at home, I moved to a university where I learned much more than just biology and chemistry. Subsequently, I am more well rounded. I also took classes at a community college over the summer. I was the top in my class and never did any work for the class, it was a joke compared to my university classes. Without a doubt I could obtain a 4.0 in community college, and also have much less of a work ethic, less friends, be in a much less diverse atmosphere, study with faculty that can't get jobs at a real university, etc.

Good points. I agree that if a CC is known as a place of inflated grades, or mill, then yes adcoms can sift that out having had prior students fail from that CC. But often CC's will do the job in vast majority of cases. It is nice to have university classes but if penny-pinched CC will usually suffice for most people.

I don't know your present background or where you are obtaining your information, but I disagree with you strongly.

Yes, community colleges do serve a significant purpose for those without the financial means to attend larger universities or for those without the academic ability to attend "better" institutions....or both.

But please don't fool yourself or anyone else into believing that the education that these schools offer is on par with other schools. There is a definite reason that other schools have admission requirements!!

There are definite reasons top schools attract top professors and their graduates obtain top positions in the real world and get offered the spots in the top professional schools, etc.

Yes, you can always cite one or two exceptions, but once again those are exceptions.

Once again I challenge you to take a look at the CV of any doctor that you know or that is on staff at any hospital in your area and see if he/she attended a community college.

As I've already stated, I have been on the credentials committee of two hospitals, 3 surgical centers and a very large insurance company and have reviewed the credentials of thousands of doctors over my 23 years of practice.

During that time I have NEVER ONCE seen a doctor that attended a community college......not ONCE.

So please don't come on here and state that for most a cc will "get the job done". With the competition today....it won't.

Many top institutions will only accept a very limited number of cc classes for students to take over the summer, etc. due to the questionable quality or lack of consistency of quality of the classes.

During that time I have NEVER ONCE seen a doctor that attended a community college......not ONCE.

So please don't come on here and state that for most a cc will "get the job done". With the competition today....it won't.

Many top institutions will only accept a very limited number of cc classes for students to take over the summer, etc. due to the questionable quality or lack of consistency of quality of the classes.

Well, I guess in 4 more years, I'll be a 70+ credit C.C (Assoc. of Arts) graduate to become a DPM, A.A...Granted that I just completed my last 3 semesters @ a 4-yr & made 3.5, 4.0, & 4.0 respectfully, taking nothing but upper-level bio classes----I still dont have a BS degree, yet I still got interview invites to DMU, AZPod, Barry, & OCPM....(I Cx all of the rest after my invite/acceptance to OCPM)...

As long as someone from a C.C goes to a 4-yr Univ. AFTERWARDS to take other upper-level classes I dont see what the problem is.......I agree that Pre-reqs @ a C.C alone wont prepare you....Look @ my DAT on my predents page....It reflects that I know the basics & my score/gpa was good enough to get me dental interview invites (which is def. more competitive than pod. school).

In all honesty, I'm proud I went to a C.C & did my pre-reqs there.....I got an EQUAL education there..(debatable to u, I know....I know)...Got BETTER LOR's than most of you 4 yrs. Univ. guys. (since ALL my C.C profs. know me PERSONALLY)......Went to a 4 yr....ACED upper-levels classes (since I believe I have a GREAT foundation).......I have $50,000+ less DEBT than you :p......Oh, and I'll be sitting right beside some of you in pod. class as the guy that has 100+ credits with NO B.S degree...

The arrogance of some of you guys is definitely :laugh:......In August, noone gives a crap where u got your undergrad education from....Point is, the committee thinks u should be there, & you're QUALIFIED to be there...The slate will be clean & you're ALL equal.......Where u end up after 1st semester due to preparedness, procrastination, etc.. is up to you----not by whether you did pre-reqs @ a CC or 4 yr.

..Got BETTER LOR's than most of you 4 yrs. Univ. guys. (since ALL my C.C profs. know me PERSONALLY.

who says 4 year people don't PERSONALLY know teachers? I would expect students to get letters from upper level science teachers anyways, and those are typically smaller classes where you PERSONALLY know the teacher. I would think you would include a letter from a DPM that you follow and thus PERSONALLY know. Also, most students get a letter from a research lab where they spend lots of time, and thus PERSONALLY know whomever writes it. Also, if you and I get the same letter except yours is written by Joe the CC biochem professor and mine is written by Joe the 4 Year biochem professor....mine is better than yours.

you bring up other valid points though. Also, you are most likely right on in regards to current pod school qualifications. In the future it may change. If we were applying allopathic where the requirements and competition are much higher, this whole CC vs. 4 year might be different.

i don't PERSONALLY know you, but it sounds like you have done well. congrats. you are right on in that you created your opportunities and capitalized on them. I would still venture to guess that you are the exception to the rule in regards to the quality of CC students.

oh yeah.....PERSONALLY

I knew every single one of my undergrad professors personally. And I was always one of those kids who tried to avoid them. I guess if you like that, thats what you get from going to a smaller undergrad. You definitely don't need CC for that.

Pretty much every course in my undergrad was with classes of 350+ students. I was stilll able to get to know all of my professors because I tried to get to know them. All of my professors were solid in there field with research and money from the gov't/publications. You dont see too many of those at your local CC.

I'm glad you all got a chance for the professors to get to know you...Over here it's a pretty big deal for the students....Why???----the professors are paid for their research while the grad. students powerpoint lecture most of the time...(This is why I initially went to a smaller university for $12k a semester :mad:)..Try to go to their office after hours with a resume for a LOR ??---I witnessed 2 of my pre-D.O buddies get told to "write your own LOR & I'll sign it"----wow!...I lost faith getting a LOR that way....

My C.C prof. were all pretty "solid" aswell..my bio. prof. who wrote my LOR was a entomology Ph.D graduate from Univ. Kentucky (top 10 in nation)..Has many joint research projects with UNF, JU, & UF...atleast half a dozen Pubs. that I'm aware of...Big deal...He CHOSE teaching @ a C.C due to the politics that usually occur @ the big Universities......So, a prof. that has publications, funding, etc. is nice and all, but it really doesn't mean much to a pod. committee...It's not like they look up all that info b/c all they see is Dr. Joe-Blow, Ph.D & how highly they speak of the student...

I took science classes post-bacc. both at a 4yr U. and at CC. I got my letters from the 4 yr guys. But I got almost 2 yrs of classes of deeper sciences, as I only took freshman level sci. in the 1st yr at the ($$$$) 4 yr school then got cheap (wised-up) & went CC to save money the 2nd yr taking more pre-req.'s. Well, really these were 2nd yr succession classes like Chem 2, Phys 2, Orgo 2, Biochem, etc. not just Gen. Bio.'s, Intro to Chem or Botany like 1st yr at ($$$$) 4 yr school. I saved a ton and did well enough studying (hard myself) for the MCAT from the CC level work.

The MCAT weeds you in or out - study HARD on your own, as the classes and decent grades can go on transcript from the CC but YOU must learn what they don't teach you, to get a decent MCAT (rather than a 18 or 19 which shows your school didn't teach you).

Never was questioned about these schools nor classes, other than grades and their correlation to my MCAT scores. Did ok in the mid 20s on MCAT, not 30 but, I had a non-sci. undergrad so I'm happy to have not gotten a lowly 22 or 23 either. :p lol

Last edited:
Well, it guess in 4 more years, I'll be a 70+ credit C.C (Assoc. of Arts) graduate to become a DPM, A.A...Granted that I just completed my last 3 semesters @ a 4-yr & made 3.5, 4.0, & 4.0 respectfully, taking nothing but upper-level bio classes----I still dont have a BS degree, yet I still got interview invites to DMU, AZPod, Barry, & OCPM....(I Cx all of the rest after my invite/acceptance to OCPM)...

As long as someone from a C.C goes to a 4-yr Univ. AFTERWARDS to take other upper-level classes I dont see what the problem is.......I agree that Pre-reqs @ a C.C alone wont prepare you....Look @ my DAT on my predents page....It reflects that I know the basics & my score/gpa was good enough to get me dental interview invites (which is def. more competitive than pod. school).

In all honesty, I'm proud I went to a C.C & did my pre-reqs there.....I got an EQUAL education there..(debatable to u, I know....I know)...Got BETTER LOR's than most of you 4 yrs. Univ. guys. (since ALL my C.C profs. know me PERSONALLY)......Went to a 4 yr....ACED upper-levels classes (since I believe I have a GREAT foundation).......I have $50,000+ less DEBT than you :p......Oh, and I'll be sitting right beside some of you in pod. class as the guy that has 100+ credits with NO B.S degree...

The arrogance of some of you guys is definitely :laugh:......In August, noone gives a crap where u got your undergrad education from....Point is, the committee thinks u should be there, & you're QUALIFIED to be there...The slate will be clean & you're ALL equal.......Where u end up after 1st semester due to preparedness, procrastination, etc.. is up to you----not by whether you did pre-reqs @ a CC or 4 yr.

It has less to deal with arrogance but the fact that people like you come in saying you took equal classes and courses and got into your graduate school. First of all, you made a smart decision no doubt and in retrospect I probably would have taken a different path myself to save money as well. But, getting into pod school is relatively easy, and when CC is compared up in more competetive fields (ex: MD) it can make an indirect difference (not a huge make or break decision, but they will take it into account).

I know for my interviews at schools (and even on job interviews) the quality of my education and schools was brought up EVERYTIME. This was at the same time my ex gf couldn't pass Organic Chem so she switched to a CC and aced it. Ofcourse she is an example but we see this ALL the time and I want to stress the fact that GENERALLY speaking what has been said on these posts is true. There's always going to be exceptions. Some guy is going to post "Well my best friend went to the "Southeastern West Northside Miami Shores Baptist North Heights College of Fine Southwestern Studies of Oils and Venetian Jellies Community College of Eel Farts and Bear Taints" and he got A's in all his science classes and did awesome on the MCAT and is in medical school!" Yeah. Generalities here.

I'm not knacking CC, but you can't come in here saying that the education, quality, grade earned, etc is equal and that admission committees or employers could care less where you went...

Some guy is going to post "Well my best friend went to the "Southeastern West Northside Miami Shores Baptist North Heights College of Fine Southwestern Studies of Oils and Venetian Jellies Community College of Eel Farts and Bear Taints" and he got A's in all his science classes and did awesome on the MCAT and is in medical school!" Yeah. ..

I heard they have a great quantum physics program there. One prof used to be the department head at both MIT and Oxford, but he left to got to SWNMSBNHCFSSOVJCCEFBT.

sp01 said it perfectly. As I had stated in my post, there will ALWAYS be some minor exceptions, but as a general rule, please don't insult me and tell me that a cc education is on par with most well established reputable major universities.

Yes, it's an economical alternative for those in need. If you're smart, you will do well on ANY standardized test and will excel in any venue of higher education. But don't fool yourself into thinking that a cc is on par with major universities.

And also understand that the admission requirements for podiatric medical school are presently not up to par with that of medical or dental schools due to the number of applicants vs. positions available.

So take my challenge, and look on the websites of any hospital and look on the staff directory and find a doctor that went to a community college and then report back to me.

people like you come in saying you took equal classes and courses and got into your graduate school. But, getting into pod school is relatively easy, and when CC is compared up in more competetive fields (ex: MD) it can make an indirect difference (not a huge make or break decision, but they will take it into account).

I'm not knacking CC, but you can't come in here saying that the education, quality, grade earned, etc is equal and that admission committees or employers could care less where you went...

Competitiveness?
I'm not sure about med. but I do know about dental...From what I've seen & experienced, it seems that even the IVY's don't look too negatively on C.C credits. I know quite a few accept a max. of 60....HOWEVER, it's the lower-tier dent. schools that look negatively on them (ex. Howard or Meharry) b/c of their lower admission requirements--they absolutely prefer 4 yrs..NO C.C credits....For the Ivy's, it's more of a matter of talent, maturity, natural ability, DAT (>23TS) etc....I'm not saying they're better or the fact that c.c bias doesn't occur---but I think it has more than to do with just where u went....I'm also not saying that a person who's only been to a C.C will get accepted aswell...No---I'm all for going to 4-yr univ's & taking upper-level classes...This is what I've done, so I'm not limited to just taking 100 & 200 level classes or anything..

sp01 said it perfectly. please don't insult me and tell me that a cc education is on par with most well established reputable major universities.

But don't fool yourself into thinking that a cc is on par with major universities.

And also understand that the admission requirements for podiatric medical school are presently not up to par with that of medical or dental schools due to the number of applicants vs. positions available.

So take my challenge, and look on the websites of any hospital and look on the staff directory and find a doctor that went to a community college and then report back to me.

1)I dont remember saying CC are on par with "most well established reputable major universities"---that's an assumption.....I said in an earlier post, "what are we comparing, podunkU vs. well-est. C.C or vise versa?....Hands down, (ex:) Princeton > C.C....I know that...

2) I aware of that....I am a former pre-dent that applied to BCD (Baylor College of Dentistry) as an instate resident...(I'm military & also a legal resident of TX)..interviewed & late accepted..(in which I kindly declined b/c of my new found interest in podiatry)..I just never updated my status on my predents file.....They didn't have an issue with my C.C background...**my personal experience**---but it could've been somewhere else, who knows?

3) Respectfully, I don't need to do such challenge. Just because a doctor doesn't list that they've been to a C.C doesn't mean that they've never attended one......You don't see it mainly b/c a lot of C.C guys transfer to 4 yrs & complete the BS/BA degree....Do you honestly believe that they don't exist? If you do, then...well, shame on you, b/c they do...

Finally, I think this thread has ran it's course.......Lot's of debatable opinions in which nothing is actually proven, since there are ALWAYS exceptions.....But in the end of the day, a C.C educated person CAN receive an excellent foundation, attain great LOR's, transfer to a 4 yr, do well, rock the DAT/MCAT, apply to professional school....................................& become doctors...

Believe what you want........

I'm done with this thread, it's ridiculous. Yes, a Timex is just as good as a Rolex, after all they both tell time don't they? And a Kia is just as good as a BMW right????? They both get you to the same place, right?

Isn't that the logic you're attempting to use? Community Colleges are not the same quality as major universities. They provide a unique purpose and can be a stepping stone or fill a void.

But once again, believe what you want, I really don't care what you think.

I have to develop the PADPM attitude, especially with the argumentation and logic people tend to use around here. :cool: Right on!

By the way, I tend to like Rado and Omega watches and once when I finish school, I'm getting a Baume and Mercier. (Sarcasm intended-I'm not being serious. )

I hope you're being sarcastic, because no one that understands or knows anything about watches can possibly really want a RADO:laugh:

I just named the first Swiss watches that came to my mind. In the end, aren't they all owned by Swatch? :)

Rado and Omega are part of the Swatch group but not all Swiss watches are part of that group. There are several other large "groups" and some independents still remain such as Patek Philipe, Rolex, etc.

Jesus, PADPM can Patek Philippe is out of my league. I've never even heard of it :eek:. Rolex isn't that popular among the youth.

I'll just stick with my humble Tissot. :)

(I just noticed my name now says senior member. Now, I have to customize my profile.)

Do people even wear watches any more??? The last time I wore one was 2006.

I had a GMT Master II but lost it or got it stolen or something. I don't really miss it other than knowing it would be worth a lot if I still had it. I'm hoping it just magically shows up.

Do people even wear watches any more??? The last time I wore one was 2006.

I had a GMT Master II but lost it or got it stolen or something. I don't really miss it other than knowing it would be worth a lot if I still had it. I'm hoping it just magically shows up.
I still do and a lot of my friends do too. I think it depends on individual preferences. I often took mine off while conducting research or while working on some lab stuff. I feel a part of me is missing when I'm not wearing one, especially when I'm dressed for a formal or working out.

I'm reliant on my watch when taking tests and working out. It's a digital one so when taking a test I can always check my pace and whether I'm going to slow or fast. Also when working out I time my rests between sets.

Yes, I'm "old school" and still wear a watch. I'm a watch fanatic and admire the amazing engineering and mechanical genius that goes into all the intricacy of an automatic watch, with the interaction of all the moving parts, gears, etc. I find it amazing that the thing can run for days with a simple twist of the wrist and no other source of energy such as a battery.

I know that a $10 digital watch may be more accurate than an extremely high end automatic watch, but those watches have no "soul", no craftsmanship, etc., and that's what I personally appreciate.

So yes, I do wear a high end watch. I don't flash it around, and I wear it for ME, not for others to see. I personally appreciate what's inside the watch and the skill and work that went into it's manufacture.

But for those of you that think I'm REALLY "old school", you'll be happy to know that I recently gave up my "beeper". Our answering service/computerized system now has the ability to simply contact our doctors on our cell phones directly, then we retrieve our messages and call our patients back without them seeing our cell phone numbers.

I wear a watch because I'm not a slave to my phone and don't use my phone as my "watch" which seems to be the trend.

Now.....if they could just make a Rolex that made phonecalls I may be interested:laugh:

Yes, I'm "old school" and still wear a watch. I'm a watch fanatic and admire the amazing engineering and mechanical genius that goes into all the intricacy of an automatic watch, with the interaction of all the moving parts, gears, etc. I find it amazing that the thing can run for days with a simple twist of the wrist and no other source of energy such as a battery.

I know that a $10 digital watch may be more accurate than an extremely high end automatic watch, but those watches have no "soul", no craftsmanship, etc., and that's what I personally appreciate.

So yes, I do wear a high end watch. I don't flash it around, and I wear it for ME, not for others to see. I personally appreciate what's inside the watch and the skill and work that went into it's manufacture.

But for those of you that think I'm REALLY "old school", you'll be happy to know that I recently gave up my "beeper". Our answering service/computerized system now has the ability to simply contact our doctors on our cell phones directly, then we retrieve our messages and call our patients back without them seeing our cell phone numbers.

I wear a watch because I'm not a slave to my phone and don't use my phone as my "watch" which seems to be the trend.

Now.....if they could just make a Rolex that made phonecalls I may be interested:laugh:

That self-winding mechanism is quite a feat of engineering isn't it? As I was being put to sleep by The Curious Case of Benjamin Button the other night, I was contemplating that clockmaking is a dying (or dead?) art as almost everything is digital now. I'm blown away that a mechanical watch can keep nearly perfect time without any computer chip. I would synch my Rolex against the atomic clock at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and it would only gain an extra 1 second every month. Amazing!

What I want is an all-in-one phone/car key/timepiece/ID/credit card device so I don't have to fill my pockets with 8 pounds of stuff when I leave home. I'd probably send it through the wash though and cease to exist.

I would want in on that Rolex IMMEDIATELY:D

study with faculty that can't get jobs at a real university, etc.

I have to disagree with this remark. Its not like they have any less of an education (unless they are only teaching with a masters degree). My cousin for example has a ph.d but he teaches at community college becuase he just doesn't enjoy doing research (which is expected of most profs at major universities). They might be paid less then top tier uni profs, but it doesn't make them less of a teacher.

one of my friends went to a local CC, scored a 34 on the mcat and now attends med school at USF.

Sure maybe someone who went to an ivy league earned a 3.6 gpa, while he had near a 4.0, but if his mcat was better, Its hard to argue that he isn't a better applicant.

Id worry about my mcat and gpa more than "where i went to school". id even consider volunteer work, shadowing, and clinical xp more important than your school.

. My cousin for example has a ph.d but he teaches at community college becuase he just doesn't enjoy doing research (which is expected of most profs at major universities). They might be paid less then top tier uni profs, but it doesn't make them less of a teacher.

You can teach at a university and not do research, such positions are called lecturers.

sabin,

I think that pre-medical students that use the word "cuz" instead of because, and "r" instead of "are" and spell the word "accurately" inaccurately (accuratly is the way you spelled the word) are "weird" and really should be worrying about academics.

If you are the product of a community college, it certainly doesn't say much!! And apparently your reading comprehension isn't great either, because if you read my prior post I stated that the beauty and value in an automatic watch is not simply based on it's accuracy. I conceded that a $10 digital watch may be more accurate, however there is considerable craftsmanship and engineering that goes into a mechanical/automatic watch that apparently you simply don't or can't appreciate.

That's also why some people can appreciate a fine aged wine and some people like a six pack of wine coolers. It's all a matter of taste.

But regardless of taste, the use of the term "weird" simply is inappropriate.

Hopefully as you mature you will find that people have different likes and dislikes and different "tastes", and if their taste differs from yours or thought process differs from yours, it certainly doesn't make them "weird".

I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to someone with your thought process joining my profession.

sabin,

I think that pre-medical students that use the word "cuz" instead of because, and "r" instead of "are" and spell the word "accurately" inaccurately (accuratly is the way you spelled the word) are "weird" and really should be worrying about academics.

If you are the product of a community college, it certainly doesn't say much!! And apparently your reading comprehension isn't great either, because if you read my prior post I stated that the beauty and value in an automatic watch is not simply based on it's accuracy. I conceded that a $10 digital watch may be more accurate, however there is considerable craftsmanship and engineering that goes into a mechanical/automatic watch that apparently you simply don't or can't appreciate.

That's also why some people can appreciate a fine aged wine and some people like a six pack of wine coolers. It's all a matter of taste.

But regardless of taste, the use of the term "weird" simply is inappropriate.

Hopefully as you mature you will find that people have different likes and dislikes and different "tastes", and if their taste differs from yours or thought process differs from yours, it certainly doesn't make them "weird".

I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to someone with your thought process joining my profession.

geez. its an online forum -_-.
i feel that being able to communicate with all types of people, whether its slang, high middle english, spanish, or w.e (stands for "whatever":laugh:) is important for anyone aspiring to be involved medicine.

let us not be elitist :p (means im sticking my tongue out to you)

You can teach at a university and not do research, such positions are called lecturers.

i was just pointing out that CCs also had quality profs. I attend a State University- it may cost more, but the experience is priceless.

Last edited: