The Republic of Texas X: You do NOT have multiple offers from schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
6 days people!

Members don't see this ad.

I stop paying attention for a few days, and there's already a part X? Good work.

Love the name of the thread! Well done phatmonkey!

Members don't see this ad :)
I stop paying attention for a few days, and there's already a part X? Good work.

1000 posts by next Friday without a doubt.

cometakeit.jpg

:thumbup:

WHOOP!

I love the NAME!

I love how the flag is alwys raised. That's so funny.

Man, I'm going nuts. Honestly, I'm not expecting any pre-match love. The less I expect, the less I'll be let down.

Best name ever....:thumbup:

I know this is premature, but as I am already planning for what happens if I dont hear from UTH or UTSW prematch (havent interviewed at the other two yet), I am now wondering about the match process.

Mainly, I am wondering if there are stats for what percentage of applicants do not match to any schools?

I am starting to go with a worst case scenario mindset...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would hit you guys with a little statistical love from 2007 TMDSAS cycle. Compliments of the pre-health comittee at my school.

Here it goes:

2007 cycle
In state + out of state

4,083 applicants
2222 interviewed
1307 offers extended
These numbers are not duplicated, that is after all the sorting, declining, and matching was completed. Still, there are ~1310 spots for medical schools in TX including UNT-TCOM so the numbers did not shift too greatly with waitlists.

Out of state only
840 applicants
284 interviewed
120 offers extended

In state only
3243 applicants
1938 interviews
1187 offers extended

Keep in mind also that a small portion of applicants do not apply to schools like TCOM, A&M, and Tech (oh well! their loss) so this improves your chances if you did apply and subsequently interview there.

I have the average GPAs and MCATs as well but I do not want to post in until I get some feedback from this. If you would like me to post the avg GPA and MCAT for applicants, interviewed, and offered, just say so and I will.

I thought I would hit you guys with a little statistical love from 2007 TMDSAS cycle. Compliments of the pre-health comittee at my school.

Here it goes:

2007 cycle
In state + out of state

4,083 applicants
2222 interviewed
1307 offers extended
These numbers are not duplicated, that is after all the sorting, declining, and matching was completed. Still, there are ~1310 spots for medical schools in TX including UNT-TCOM so the numbers did not shift too greatly with waitlists.

Out of state only
840 applicants
284 interviewed
120 offers extended

In state only
3243 applicants
1938 interviews
1187 offers extended

Keep in mind also that a small portion of applicants do not apply to schools like TCOM, A&M, and Tech (oh well! their loss) so this improves your chances if you did apply and subsequently interview there.

I have the average GPAs and MCATs as well but I do not want to post in until I get some feedback from this. If you would like me to post the avg GPA and MCAT for applicants, interviewed, and offered, just say so and I will.

I think everyone will be interested in seeing the average GPA and MCATs as well.

Eh, why not.

Here they are:

IS + OOS

Applicants GPA - 3.50 MCAT - 27.1

Interviewed GPA - 3.64 MCAT - 29.5

Offer extended GPA - 3.70 MCAT - 30.3

The numbers were only present as total and were not separated based on IS or OOS status. Sorry!

Remember everyone, the law of averages means there must be those above and below the average so don't get discouraged if you are below these numbers.

Yaaaayyyy! I'm totally average and I applied to TCOM and A&M. :D

I'm assuming the relatively high MCAT score is because of UTSW right?

I thought a 30 MCAT wasn't high/was the national average last or a couple of cycles ago?

I think Mass Transport is right. Isnt the Nat'l Avg. for accepted applicants over 31 at this point?

It seemed like the average MCAT for acceptances at A&M, tech, UTMB, UTSA all appeared to be in the 28-29 range with houston around a 30, and UTSW around a 32

It seemed like the average MCAT for acceptances at A&M, tech, UTMB, UTSA all appeared to be in the 28-29 range with houston around a 30, and UTSW around a 32

Also the average TCOM acceptance was 28 last year. I wonder what the SD for these scores is. My intuition tells me around 1.5-1.8 for acceptances.

Yea, I would say even a little more. Prob more like 2 - 2.5. You have to think there are people with 27's that have 3.96's and 34's with 3.30's. These people realy put a spread on the SD.

You expect to see a bell curve with a long tail with most people actually getting slightly above the average.

:laugh: I like how the avg interviewed GPA IS my GPA exactly. :laugh: At least my MCAT hits avg for acceptances...;) Hopefully I can squeak one out this year.

And props on the title, me likey!

"The number of first-year enrollees totals almost 17,800 students, a 2.3 percent increase over 2006...
More than 42,300 individuals applied to enter medical school in 2007, an increase of 8.2 percent over 2006..."

I am not a fan of the 8.2% increase in apps vs. the 2.3% increase in enrollees.

"Overall, the academic credentials of applicants to medical school this year were stronger than ever before, with the highest MCAT® (Medical College Admission Test) scores and cumulative grade point averages on record. In addition, over the past five years there has been an increase in applicants' average amount of experience in premedical activities, including time spent in medical research and community service in clinical and nonclinical settings."
- AAMC

I'm wondering how much higher the 2008 class will be. :-(

Anyone like me who is 99% sure that they won't get a pre-match offer but still can't wait until the 15th? I am trying not to set myself up for dissappointment but it's just so easy!

U.S. Medical School Applicants, 1997-2007 Year Total % change from prior
1997 43,016 -8.4%
1998 40,996 -4.7%
1999 38,443 -6.2%
2000 37,088 -3.5%
2001 34,860 -6.0%
2002 33,625 -3.5%
2003 34,791 +3.5%
2004 35,735 +2.7%
2005 37,373 +4.6%
2006 39,108 +4.6%
2007 42,315 +8.2%

It's kind of odd, there were more apps in 1997 than 2007.

No, UTH has an average mcat similar to the other schools, around 28-29. UTSW has an average MCAT of 34 from last cycle.

. .and that sucks for us to have applicants with the highest gpa/mcat and the highest number of applicants. CRAP.

No, UTH has an average mcat similar to the other schools, around 28-29. UTSW has an average MCAT of 34 from last cycle.

. .and that sucks for us to have applicants with the highest gpa/mcat and the highest number of applicants. CRAP.

According to utsw interview packet, the average for 2007 was a 32. Im just sayin...haha

anyway, how is eevryone's feelings on pre-match offers? I am hopin I get one from UTMB. Good luck

I wanna move back to Dallas. Oh, how I've missed you.

I was wanting to see if anyone could explain this anomaly regarding my application:

Look at my MDApp profile and see if you can explain no interview from TAMU and UTSW. I am beginning to wonder if my undergrad college is being discriminated against because it is not in the same league as UT and A&M.

Anybody got any ideas?

I was wanting to see if anyone could explain this anomaly regarding my application:

Look at my MDApp profile and see if you can explain no interview from TAMU and UTSW. I am beginning to wonder if my undergrad college is being discriminated against because it is not in the same league as UT and A&M.

Anybody got any ideas?

Hm... it's not GPA or MCAT, but then again, they cant interview everyone...

No clue, really.

Anybody got any ideas?

That's really not abnormal for UTSW to not interview, however A&M? Well, I guess it also depends on your secondaries at A&M. Do you believe that you really took the time and turned in a great secondary to A&M?

Anyone like me who is 99% sure that they won't get a pre-match offer but still can't wait until the 15th? I am trying not to set myself up for dissappointment but it's just so easy!

No no, we must remain optimistic!! :luck:

Like I should talk. ;) My post-doc is feeding me insidious amounts of chocolate trying to calm me down...:laugh: Nothing seems to be working!

So I'm preparing for the worst... what kind of job can a biology major get?

I'm assuming the relatively high MCAT score is because of UTSW right?

I think MCATs went up a lot everywhere. I know our average for our class is a 31 (it was a 32 at match and then only went down 1 point after everything was done). I think it was about the same at UTMB (from a video they had reporting after match stuff)

So I'm preparing for the worst... what kind of job can a biology major get?

Dude, you'll be fine. I suppose it's mathematically possible for you not to get in anywhere, but seriously, you'll be just fine. :thumbup:

I am beginning to wonder if my undergrad college is being discriminated against because it is not in the same league as UT and A&M.

I don't see why it would be that. I've seen people from Tech at every interview I've had so far, I know that A&M and Southwestern certainly accept plenty of people from Texas Tech each year. Sure is puzzling though. When did you turn in your secondaries to A&M and Southwestern?

Better keep your fingers crossed for an acceptance guys, because there aint a whole lot else to be done with a BIO degree. I learned that this year as I looked for a job. Without an advanced degree, you are competing with people that have Associate degrees (2yrs of college)... which means the pay is lousy. Everything else requires a masters or PhD.

I ended up finding a full-time administrative job with a test prep company I had already been teaching for, but I definitely didnt get the job because of my BIO degree.

Optimistically, none of us is going to need to look for another job. Realistically, none of us should give up until we get accepted.

Chin up, gentlemen (and ladies), theres a lot of painful waiting left before we get to post on the "Accepted" Thread.

According to utsw interview packet, the average for 2007 was a 32. Im just sayin...haha

anyway, how is eevryone's feelings on pre-match offers? I am hoping I get one from UTMB. Good luck

Oh really? My mistake. I haven't even gone through my interview folder. I know for sure that UTH mcat is between 28-29 because I remember reading it on their website and the woman who answers the phone in the admissions office told me.

Anyone like me who is 99% sure that they won't get a pre-match offer but still can't wait until the 15th? I am trying not to set myself up for disappointment but it's just so easy!

I can't help but do the same! Also as the 15th draws closer, I'm increasingly becoming more obsessed with SDN, which just feeds my paranoia. I constantly scan comments for any news/bit of gossip about UTH, which I am desperate to get into.

yea, i love how nov 15 is such a loaded date for us, whereas all my non-texan premed classmates are like, wtf? who cares?

and then im like, ONLY THE BEST STATE EVER CARES.

Oh really? My mistake. I haven't even gone through my interview folder. I know for sure that UTH mcat is between 28-29 because I remember reading it on their website and the woman who answers the phone in the admissions office told me.
I just copied/pasted this from the UTH website (which they changed since the last I saw it).

Who is the Class of 2011?
127 Men
103 Women
230 Total

MCAT 39-18
Median MCAT 30
Mean 30.1

GPA 4.0 – 2.54 average GPA 3.7
Masters Degrees 4
Doctoral Degrees 2
Mean Age: 23
Range 20 - 44

21% URM Totals
137 White 60%
33 Hispanic 14%
15 Black or AA 6.5%
37 Asian 16%
0 Amer Indian 0%

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how important is race in admissions?

Dude, you'll be fine. I suppose it's mathematically possible for you not to get in anywhere, but seriously, you'll be just fine. :thumbup:

I prepare for the worst and just hope for the best, that's all. Besides I still want to know what a bio degree is good for anyway of you aren't going to research or med school. There really isn't anything in the middle ( or even the low end). It's all advanced degrees!!

Regardless, I dont want to count my chickens berle they hatch. Though I am getting the ethanol ready. :)

I hate thinking about how in a week my life will change forever. I just have a really bad feeling that it won't be the way that I want it to.:(