The Republic of Texas XXXV: Breakfast Tacos All Day Everyday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gummychocos

Keeping the tradition alive on SDN! Use this for discussion of everything and anything related to the Texas medical schools.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

There is probably a thread on this, but how hard is it for a OOS to get accepted into baylor?

I was wondering where this thread was! I'm IS applying to all schools on TMDSAS plus Baylor. Thank god Texas makes applying cheap

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is probably a thread on this, but how hard is it for a OOS to get accepted into baylor?
Baylor doesn't have to abide by the instate rule. That said 70-80% of the students are from Texas. This however is some self-selection since its one of the 9/10 schools in the state with a large pre med population.

10/10 thread title :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Resent my transcript yesterday then found out the first one was received an hour later :oops: ah well. It took a lot longer than I thought it would--requested 5/19, received 6/7

I know it's super early right now, but I can't help but check my email every 15 minutes

Buckle down, because it's going to be a long, loooooong journey :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else not realize breakfast tacos weren't a thing everywhere until they left TX?

Reactions: 2 users
How are you guys interpreting the prompts for the two essays that aren't the personal statement? I wrote an essay about diversity (I immigrated to the US as a kid) and I originally was going to use it for the optional essay, but now I'm not sure if a diversity essay is meant for the second or third prompt. Thoughts?

How are you guys interpreting the prompts for the two essays that aren't the personal statement? I wrote an essay about diversity (I immigrated to the US as a kid) and I originally was going to use it for the optional essay, but now I'm not sure if a diversity essay is meant for the second or third prompt. Thoughts?

I think it all just depends on how you spin it. If you can write how your diversity can contribute to others, then the 2nd essay. If you write about how you overcame some challenge immigrating to the U.S., then the 3rd essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone this cycle! Hope to submit soon.

Any updates, anyone? So far it seems only TCOM has sent out invites

I got an II from A&M last week! Haven't heard back from anywhere else.

It's the end of the month! How many interview invites does everyone have? I only have 1 and I transmitted 6/7. LizzyM 69

I have 5, but I'm hoping for the other five to come in soon. I finished the secondaries for them at the beginning of July.

Because I feel like every TX school thread is some iteration of "this year is so slow!" Let's rant in a centralized location. :p

Reactions: 3 users
I saw "XXX" and got happy for a second.

Because I feel like every TX school thread is some iteration of "this year is so slow!" Let's rant in a centralized location. :p

Seriously! Had one invite in July and one in August and now silence :(

Reactions: 1 users
What happened to Lost in Translation? He/she was around for a while and now they're banned?

Tfw you realize post-debate that you'll know the outcome of the presidential election before you know if you got into med school... why does prematch start so late :(

Tfw you realize post-debate that you'll know the outcome of the presidential election before you know if you got into med school... why does prematch start so late :(
I feel that.. I need to know... I feel like I'm just wandering aimlessly through life... by the way thread should have definitely been called the honey butter chicken biscuit for lyfe Texas thread

Reactions: 1 users
I feel that.. I need to know... I feel like I'm just wandering aimlessly through life... by the way thread should have definitely been called the honey butter chicken biscuit for lyfe Texas thread

I've never even had a breakfast taco (I know I'm the worst Texan ever) but HBCB is life :love:

Which schools serve breakfast tacos? Also, what are the interviews like at different schools?

Dell and UTRGV are tiny schools. Combined they only matriculate ~100 Texans. Their impact on matriculation rate should not be very significant IMO.

This is true, I didn't realize that the increase in students matriculating was only about 10%. The one point drop in MCAT score is still a bit odd though.

This is true, I didn't realize that the increase in students matriculating was only about 10%. The one point drop in MCAT score is still a bit odd though.
I would expect average scores to decrease with more slots open...

I would expect average scores to decrease with more slots open...

...as would I, except the average matriculated GPA actually increased. Why would the average matriculant GPA rise but average MCAT decrease? Who knows. I'm just a neurotic premed that looks at statistics far too often.

...as would I, except the average matriculated GPA actually increased. Why would the average matriculant GPA rise but average MCAT decrease? Who knows. I'm just a neurotic premed that looks at statistics far too often.

Because TX is obsessed with GPA. In my opinion, no other state puts as much emphasis on it as TX. My friend interviewed at UTMB and their average gpa was a 3.9 (which is on a Harvard like level) and their MCAT is a 506! Which is a 28-29. The disparity is rather insane, and it makes people who are MCAT heavy very nervous.

Because TX is obsessed with GPA. In my opinion, no other state puts as much emphasis on it as TX. My friend interviewed at UTMB and their average gpa was a 3.9 (which is on a Harvard like level) and their MCAT is a 506! Which is a 28-29. The disparity is rather insane, and it makes people who are MCAT heavy very nervous.

I couldn't agree more!! I just find it unusual that the most standardized metric between applicants (MCAT) isn't weighted very highly.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more!! I just find it unusual that the most standardized metric between applicants (MCAT) isn't weighted very highly. To add to your point about Harvard and the like, the OOS schools with GPA averages similar to Texas schools such as UTMB all have MCAT's that are at least +7 points higher. It is truly absurd.

My gpa is average, but I also go to an Ivy that does practice grade deflation. And yes, I chose to go there, but it highlights how grading from school to school is not standardized. I have a high MCAT, but for some reason TX doesn't like that as much as gpa. Oh well!

My gpa is average, but I also go to an Ivy that does practice grade deflation. And yes, I chose to go there, but it highlights how grading from school to school is not standardized. I have a high MCAT, but for some reason TX doesn't like that as much as gpa. Oh well!

Illustrating the point perfectly!! I think you'll get love from TX schools tbh. It would be pretty ironic if you got love from WashU but not UTSW or Baylor ;). I just want an interview somewhere.

Illustrating the point perfectly!! I think you'll get love from TX schools tbh. It would be pretty ironic if you got love from WashU but not UTSW or Baylor ;). I just want an interview somewhere.

Lol I already interviewed at WashU...... :arghh:

Has anyone who has been complete for a while logged into their TMDSAS? I had a rank list pop up

Has anyone who has been complete for a while logged into their TMDSAS? I had a rank list pop up

Yep! After you interview at each school they will pop up on the rank list. I'm not sure if you have heard about it enough yet (every school I have interviewed at has made it a big part of the interview day, making sure that you know that it has to be done). Just make sure that no matter how many pre-match offers you get that you rank your schools.

Any JAMP people on here? I think they got their decisions already (super jealous!)

Do tx schools email or call for prematch? Which use prematch heavily/lightly?

The wait for Texas pre-match day is soooooo soooooo tiresome!! I should have applied for 1 out of state school just to have something to hold in my hands for a month.

Do tx schools email or call for prematch? Which use prematch heavily/lightly?

Dell will call to schedule interview or at least they did last year. I heard UNT does the same. Everyone else will email you. I think most are prematch heavy, but I hear conflicting stories regarding this.

Is the turkey rule in effect for TMDSAS schools or is it earlier? (like around now?)
I'm lucky enough to have a single II from a TX school, but I'm hoping to get a few more to up my chances of staying in state.

Is the turkey rule in effect for TMDSAS schools or is it earlier? (like around now?)
I'm lucky enough to have a single II from a TX school, but I'm hoping to get a few more to up my chances of staying in state.
I'm almost done with my interview season :shrug:

This waiting is making me anxious. I need a breakfast taco or 6

T-minus 13 days.... Things that you can do to pass the time while you wait: Power watch two Seasons of Rick and Morty

I've only got 1 II so far from UTRGV, all the other schools have been DEAD SILENT! Thank goodness I applied to several OOS schools because I think I've been shut out from the Lone Star State this cycle