The SDN flaw parade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Our application cycle is a chance to highlight and present our best aspects. We talk ourselves up for months on end and even in anonymous forums like this we only share the good stuff. So, to change up the pace a bit and show that we aren't all the pre-med perfectionists that we present ourselves as, I would like to know:

What are some of your biggest flaws?

Obviously, keep it appropriate and keep it within the bounds of what you are willing to share. Don't give me any of this "My biggest flaw is that I am too caring" BS that I know we all spew on the interview trail. Genuinely, share your dirt, share the juicy gossip, keep it friendly, keep it clean, and be prepared to both be judged and to judge other people.

To get the creative juices flowing and to gain your trust, here are mine:

1) I tend to be excessively overconfident. This to the point that I tend to assume I am correct if there is not a subject matter expert present or I tend to assume potential positive outcomes for me as certainties.
2) I absolutely CAN NOT cook popcorn on the stove top. I can cook different fish, meats, vegetables, stews etc. a thousand and one ways, but popcorn either turns out burnt, too salty, too buttery, tastes like garlic for some reason.
3) I am the living embodiment of the meme 'Karen.' If I have a problem with something, it will be almost assured that you know that I have a problem with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
Lack of confidence. I’m too hard on myself, downplay my accomplishments, and focus too much on the negative. This all sometimes negatively impacts my productivity as well. I also get anxious in certain social situations.

• Sad
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I notice you didn’t include any of your flaws in the OP. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Also, I hope you don’t use this line during interviews!
Oh no, I absolutely do not hahaha but I know a LOT of folks who think you are supposed to 'give a negative that is really a positive' and I have heard this more than a few times.

Also, updated with my flaws.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I'm overly critical of myself and think that I don't deserve what I get/where I am. It's hard to see your worth when you compare yourself to others (so I'm trying to do less of that lol)

Reactions: 7 users
My biggest flaw is that I am too caring

On a serious note: I am nervous to take the first step but am very happy after doing so. But this problem seems to have gotten worse over the years lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
1)I am so underconfident it will probably cost my bank account at least 2k on superfluous apps
2) I am EXTREMELY stubborn

Reactions: 6 users
I take public transportation everywhere I go and I’m always late

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SURE you are:

*cough*

for those that interviewed -> Pros/Cons list + Interview Feedback here..
check info about schools (pros/cons/interview questions) here.

POST II A rate HERE.

for MD IIs:
add your interview data here.
check your school's data here.

for DO IIs:
add your interview data here.
check your school's data ..
here..

*cough*
oof. calling me out like that :shrug: I try not to look at those anymore but think they're useful for a lot of other people

Reactions: 4 users
  • Haha
LOL but for real, it is awesome to compile the data. It helps the next cycle (or at least can help them feel lilke it isn't 100% random)

"be prepared to both be judged and to judge other people."
ooh, another flaw of mine - I never read things thoroughly and skim. Hence, I never saw that you wrote that originally lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
"be prepared to both be judged and to judge other people."
ooh, another flaw of mine - I never read things thoroughly and skim. Hence, I never saw that you wrote that originally lmao
Should I remove that? Should we be non-judgemental?

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
I missed out on the call-out train in the social thread so I wanna hear what @Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick has to say about me before I post my real response.

• Haha
I’m actually still putting off some secondaries so... (But seriously Nova what the hell are those prompts)

• Haha
I missed out on the call-out train in the social thread so I wanna hear what @Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick has to say about me before I post my real response.
Oh, I wasn't doing biggest flaws on the social thread I was just doing random things. Don't even get me started on trying to guess other people's BIGGEST flaws....

Sure....a flaw of yours is that you.....Hell, IDK man. You don't visit the social thread enough, that is where all the juice is.

Edit to be inclusive:You seem potentially bad at commitment - what with this 37 secondaries, 19 interviews, flying out to Singapore for NUS and not even attending...seems pretty noncommittal to me.

• Sad
Oh, I wasn't doing biggest flaws on the social thread I was just doing random things. Don't even get me started on trying to guess other people's BIGGEST flaws....

Sure....a flaw of yours is that you.....Hell, IDK man. You don't visit the social thread enough, that is where all the juice is.

:( I’m trying to go there more now :)

Okay my real flaw. I am in the lowest of keys a control freak.

Also, I’m from the land of blue and white bowls, yet I’ve never cooked rice myself.

• Haha
I feel that I am pretty smart, but my laziness drags me down.

I’m anxious, underconfident, and I’ve got a terrible sense of (locational) direction. Also, I’m scarred by cpm and now think everyone is a troll.

Reactions: 9 users
One of my many flaws is that I’m too concerned about rankings, prestige, and outward appearance. I’d go to a T20 even if I hated it, and if I don’t get into a prestigious program I know I’m going to be upset about it for the rest of the cycle.

It bothers me that I think this way, so I’m really trying to focus on students’ enthusiasm about their schools at interviews, whether the schools are “prestigious” or not. It’s slowly helping me put things into context and helping me realize that getting into medical itself is already prestigious. Hoping it positively influences my decision next year if I get any acceptances.
Keep in mind, just by getting a single medical school interview, let alone 5, you are in the top 5% of every person who has ever gone to college ever. You are already prestigious.

• Love
1) I’ve been told I have no poker face. Not quite RBF - strangers love to stop me for directions because apparently I look sweet and friendly (which is true). But, if I think you’re saying something stupid, my face says “you’re a dumb ***” even though *I* think I’m just giving you a blank stare. Depending on the circumstance, that could be considered a strength.

2) I have this thing for men with commitment issues. It’s why I’m “still single.” There’s a whole bonding theory on it, knowledge is power blah blah, at least I recognize the problem...but somehow those are always the men on my radar.

3)I’m not a duck. When someone is a condescending jerk, it eats me up inside and I have trouble letting it go - I allow it to ruin my mood. I will hold it against you, possibly for years, and will do as little to help you in the future until you make a peace offering (after which we’re cool and it’s as if it never happened). Not proud of it. I’m working on it.

4)I have used, “I have trouble leaving work at work. I second guess my decisions, worry about what I missed, and I’ll agonize over it if my patient has a poor outcome.” When it seems like half your patient population dies (statistics say 20%) that’s a lot of work not left at work. Not a problem anymore. Probably thanks to burnout and a healthy dose of cynicism. And wine. I do still care, but now if it affects me I allow myself to cry in the moment so I can go home and get on with my life. Sooooo I used to care too much, but not anymore!

Reactions: 5 users
1. Easily distracted, hopefully getting that chemically fixed soon!
2. External locus of control where I blame other **** for my own failures.

Like two years ago my dentist told me I needed to get a fancy electric toothbrush because the force with which I mechanically brushed my teeth was causing my gums to recede. Last time I went I found out that these fancy toothbrushes actually vibrate every thirty seconds to let you know to switch which part of your teeth you're brushing, and vibrate repeatedly after two minutes to let you know that you're done. After discovering this I started paying attention to how long I was brushing my teeth, but there was a problem. I felt like the toothbrush was wrong, and was either buzzing too quickly and I wasn't brushing for long enough, or it buzzed far too infrequently and caused me to brush for 3+ minutes, but never actually gave me the correct amount of time. Then like a week ago I realized that I'm a scientist, and it would take literally 2 minutes twice a day to figure out if there was something wrong with the toothbrush's internal timer. After a week of data collection, I can confirm that I was wrong, and the toothbrush is right. From this I am forced to conclude that I am literally less intelligent than my own toothbrush.

...I'm sorry, what was the question?

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
I take public transportation everywhere I go and I’m always late

I loathe public transportation and will do anything in my power to avoid it...including walking up to 5 miles, taking an Uber, Lyme scooter, bike, renting a car, etc etc

• Haha
I like this thread. :)

1. I have very low self-esteem.

2. I really struggle in school.

3. I am not as tough as I wish I were. I get so, so mad at myself when I can't make myself power through illness like other people seem to be able to.

4. My grammar, spelling, and vocabulary all leave something to be desired. English is my first and only language.

5. I'm a crier.

ETA: 6. I compare myself to others, which isn't a good habit.

I love petty revenge.

I am also all about drama. The more the better, so long as I’m not directly involved.

Reactions: 7 users
My biggest flaw is sometimes being too dry and people dont pick up on my sarcasm. Which is really a shame, honestly my sense of humor combined with the rest of me is a pretty solid medical package (especially for interviews). I actually brought this up at a recent interview. The interviewer and me spoke about it and agreed that you need a dry dark sense of humor at times and he told me a joke about pediatric oncology patients that had me rolling. So I know it's a good trait.

That and I didnt go to the gym this morning.

pediatric oncology patients that had me rolling
I can already tell this is a fantastic joke. Most people will hate the pun involving dead children, I am guessing. It is a shame how under appreciated dark humor is.

I got one:

How did little jimmy drop his ice cream cone?
He got hit by a bus.
How did little jimmy fall off the swing?
He couldn’t hold on, lost his arms in the accident.
*Knock Knock*
Who’s there?
Not little Jimmy.

• Wow
I can already tell this is a fantastic joke. Most people will hate the pun involving dead children, I am guessing. It is a shame how under appreciated dark humor is.

I got one:

He got hit by a bus.
*Knock Knock*
Who’s there?
Not little Jimmy.

You know the difference between an Iraqi orphanage and a terrorist training compound?

I dont. I just fly the drone.

I'll take that probationary status now.

• Haha
You know the difference between an Iraqi orphanage and a terrorist training compound?

*thousands of Army jokes run through my head.*

*I have made it to almost 9,000 posts without probation*

*Must. Not. Give in.*

• Haha

I got one:

He got hit by a bus.
*Knock Knock*
Who’s there?
Not little Jimmy.

*thousands of Army joke run through my head.*

*I have made it to almost 9,000 posts without probation*

*Must. Not. Give in.*

Dark jokes are hilarious and I have several in mind. The problem lies with harsh and negative social reactions to dark jokes. That's why I just keep them to myself usually unless someone has similar interests.

Dark jokes are hilarious and I have several in mind. The problem lies with harsh and negative social reactions to dark jokes. That's why I just keep them to myself usually unless someone has similar interests.
Mine was relatively tame. Fisty went all out (not really, actually. There are far FAR worse.) What was the other thread I posted this in?

From the perspective of civilians, one of the biggest flaws of dark humor acquired in the military is this:

Edit: Word choice - vets aren’t the problem, lacking contextual awareness is, thanks for the correction @FISTMCLARGEHUGE

Ooh, I've got hella flaws. I'm a very anxious human and sometimes when I'm worried about things I fixate on them and ask literally everyone around me their opinion on the same dumb issue. Then I worry about whose advice to take because I'm bad at just being assertive and making a decision. Also, I can be a bit tone deaf at times, not understanding sarcasm or accidentally coming across as too blunt due to saying things at the wrong time. And finally, when someone gives me instructions I often need them to be really detailed/specific otherwise I get hung up on "do I do it this way or that other way?"

Mine was relatively tame. Fisty went all out (not really, actually. There are far FAR worse.) What was the other thread I posted this in?

From the perspective of civilians, one of the biggest flaws of vets is this:

It's not a veteran flaw it's a personal flaw. The vets who talk the most are the ones who shouldn't. They lack the social awareness to understand your audience. It's like saying college kids have a problem with partying, it only focuses on the obvious and loud example. Tons of professions and people have dark humor and it's all relative to their own lives.

Tons of professions and people have dark humor and it's all relative to their own lives.
I 100% agree with this.the down side with military Dark Humor front the outside, however, is its extreme focus on death and dying. It makes sense in the context of the culture. But you are right, the vets who people look at as “the disgruntled veteran” probably just failed to thrive upon reintegration.