The SDN flaw parade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the imam usually set people up, or is it like another person in the community? Thanks for explaining to us!
Not normally the imam, usually a pair of agreeing parents ( like a young man telling his parents he's interested in a young woman, parents meet and arrange them to meet up, that sorta thing). There are some imams/muslim orgs that arrange that but I feel like it's normally the parents.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Not normally the imam, usually a pair of agreeing parents ( like a young man telling his parents he's interested in a young woman, parents meet and arrange them to meet up, that sorta thing). There are some imams/muslim orgs that arrange that but I feel like it's normally the parents.
That's awesome. I feel like whether we want to admit it or not, our parents can be very wise (and know what to look for in a future partner).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I met my current partner on Grindr. There's a lot of garbage you have to sift through but there's occasionally a nice human out there.

I wish I could have the confidence and comfort to put myself out there without being able to pre-vet people who message. I already am pretty picky with people I swipe on. I also feel uncomfortable with being reduced to a set of stats/a fake name/one sentence bio. My tinder bio is like three paragraphs.

Now this is a real flaw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could have the confidence and comfort to put myself out there without being able to pre-vet people who message. I already am pretty picky with people I swipe on. I also feel uncomfortable with being reduced to a set of stats/a fake name/one sentence bio. My tinder bio is like three paragraphs.

Now this is a real flaw.
Do a TDLR after the paragraphs. Lol

• Haha
I preferred tinder but the people on there just like to match and then never talk or meet up. At least that was my experience.
Probably true. I’ve found that matches with similar career/academic ambitions were much more likely to meet up, but I also apply the additive increase / multiplicative decrease principle when engaging matches, which works pretty well for separating between duds and buds.

Do a TDLR after the paragraphs. Lol
Too bad nobody would every make it there haha. My cover sentence is just what I study and my school xD

Reactions: 1 users
Here's another flaw of mine: I am extremely blunt. To the point my mom has said I act like my father (who she divorced) who would always say what he thinks :laugh: :laugh:

Don't worry she still loves me tho

Reactions: 3 users
My cover sentence is just what I study and my school
This is your flaw: The best nerd is a closet nerd.

Drop the nerd bomb on the third date with a “well, actually” statement and he will be yours.

Probably true. I’ve found that matches with similar career/academic ambitions were much more likely to meet up, but I also apply the additive increase / multiplicative decrease principle when engaging matches, which works pretty well for separating between duds and buds.

Too bad nobody would every make it there haha. My cover sentence is just what I study and my school xD
Yeah, there are just a lot of duds.

You're allowed to be friendly with the person first, just no real, intimate, physical relationship.

Hey just cause it’s not physical doesn’t mean it’s not real... speaking from someone who practiced abstinence until marriage and has been married happily for 7 years

Oh, I wasn't doing biggest flaws on the social thread I was just doing random things. Don't even get me started on trying to guess other people's BIGGEST flaws....

Sure....a flaw of yours is that you.....Hell, IDK man. You don't visit the social thread enough, that is where all the juice is.

Edit to be inclusive:You seem potentially bad at commitment - what with this 37 secondaries, 19 interviews, flying out to Singapore for NUS and not even attending...seems pretty noncommittal to me.

It looks like someone is gunning to match in psychiatry. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Lack of confidence. I’m too hard on myself, downplay my accomplishments, and focus too much on the negative. This all sometimes negatively impacts my productivity as well. I also get anxious in certain social situations.

You sound a lot like me.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait but would people date a 20+ year old who never dated before or nah?

How would they know unless you told them. I never dated in my teens either.

Last edited:
This is your flaw: The best nerd is a closet nerd.

Drop the nerd bomb on the third date with a “well, actually” statement and he will be yours.
Can confirm. You can like Star Wars, just don’t pose with pics of your dolls and light sabers in your profile pic. A well placed joke about Schrödinger’s cat - I can work with that, throw in some commitment issues and dangle me on your string theory for a few months and I’m going to be planning our future wedding. Actually, Mr. Last Night has made it past the one month mark, so maybe just maybe hopefully one day! He has a book about ICU medicine on his coffee table and ventilators in his truck, yet he leaves the tv on espn. It’s about balance.

Dingy white t shirts do not lead to an affirmative when trying to pick someone up at the bar. I’m gonna see it as a flaw and assume the worst for your tightie not so whities.

If you don’t ask, it’s a 100% no. If you ask, the worst thing that will happen is a “no.” Nobody is going to die and most people are really nice about it if they’re not interested. I’ll tell you I’m flattered and make something up. If I say no, respect my answer and let it go, it’s not going to be pretty if you then insult me and tell me I’m no princess. If I can tell a man is nervous asking me on a date, or nervous on the date, it’s no big deal. Now, if we are on said date and you make a joke about putting me in the trunk of your car later, I’m out. Waaaay too much commitment for me. Seriously, though, it really freaked me out. No serial killer jokes when I’ve just met you, not cool.

Now, if we are on said date and you make a joke about putting me in the trunk of your car later, I’m out. Waaaay too much commitment for me. Seriously, though, it really freaked me out. No serial killer jokes when I’ve just met you, not cool.

wait... did someone do this?

I like this thread. :)

1. I have very low self-esteem.

2. I really struggle in school.

3. I am not as tough as I wish I were. I get so, so mad at myself when I can't make myself power through illness like other people seem to be able to.

4. My grammar, spelling, and vocabulary all leave something to be desired. English is my first and only language.

5. I'm a crier.

ETA: 6. I compare myself to others, which isn't a good habit.
Hi! Are you me? I could have typed the exact same thing about myself.

• Love
I’m really bad at geography. I was unaware of this until this application cycle Lol

• Haha
I’m really bad at geography. I was unaware of this until this application cycle Lol

Traveled to a lot of new places.

Not in the direction I thought I needed to go to get there though/

• Wow
-Habit of assuming the worst case scenario
-If there is a short-sleeper allele, pretty sure I have the opposite. It takes me a while to "wake up" in the morning and I feel more sensitive to sleep deprivation than most people I know.
-Palmoplantar hyperhidrosis... The other day I was watching Lord of the Rings and there is this part where everybody is running away from a monster, and my palms were literally dripping sweat. Adds a little embarrassment when meeting new people (I got an antiperspirant lotion so hopefully it does the job!)

I’m anxious, underconfident, and I’ve got a terrible sense of (locational) direction. Also, I’m scarred by cpm and now think everyone is a troll.
Okay I’m hella late to this party but I have the WORST sense of direction. If I’m in a new place (or even a reasonably familiar one I suppose) I will always, without fail, confidently leave the building and walk 3 blocks in the wrong direction before realizing I’ve done it.

And I’m so confident about it! If I’m in a group, even with people who do know where they’re going, I’ll find my way to the front and start confidently leading everyone the wrong way. People have to be like “tinfoil where are you going?”

-Habit of assuming the worst case scenario
-If there is a short-sleeper allele, pretty sure I have the opposite. It takes me a while to "wake up" in the morning and I feel more sensitive to sleep deprivation than most people I know.
-Palmoplantar hyperhidrosis... The other day I was watching Lord of the Rings and there is this part where everybody is running away from a monster, and my palms were literally dripping sweat. Adds a little embarrassment when meeting new people (I got an antiperspirant lotion so hopefully it does the job!)
If you’re actually wondering, there is a short-sleeper mutation! It’s in a transcriptional repressor called DEC2 (P385R). These people need like 2 hours of sleep a night, and I am very, very jealous of them.

If you’re actually wondering, there is a short-sleeper mutation! It’s in a transcriptional repressor called DEC2 (P385R). These people need like 2 hours of sleep a night, and I am very, very jealous of them.

Pretty sure my wife's family (like her entire extended and immediate family) has that

Pretty sure my wife's family (like her entire extended and immediate family) has that

I'm about to show up to your next family gathering with a cirpsr cas9 set, a loose sense of ethics, no concept of risk, and a dream.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Now this is a real flaw.
Do people actually use fake names? I’m considering setting up an account on any of the various online dating apps and am using this thread as a crash course to datingapps101 :lol:

Do people actually use fake names? I’m considering setting up an account on any of the various online dating apps and am using this thread as a crash course to datingapps101 :lol:
I use at least a nickname (one that I never go by in real life but that is at least a reasonable nickname for someone with my real name)

I use at least a nickname (one that I never go by in real life but that is at least a reasonable nickname for someone with my real name)
Someone on reddit actually recommended that I go for the whitest name possible (I’m middle eastern) because that’ll come off better...

• Wow
  • Haha
Someone on reddit actually recommended that I go for the whitest name possible (I’m middle eastern) because that’ll come off better...
And then you are met with telling the person you met "by the way my name is something completely different than what you've come to know me as"

There is a lot assigned with a name as you get to know a person and flipping that can be jarring.

My flaw is believing that 808's and Heartbreak was a better and more influential album than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

• Wow
And then you are met with telling the person you met "by the way my name is something completely different than what you've come to know me as"

There is a lot assigned with a name as you get to know a person and flipping that can be jarring.
Yeah one of my exes did that to me. Emphasis on the ex part.

I go by a nickname on dating apps but one that is close to my real name.

I use my real name on Tinder, but people on Grindr are just like letters or emojis or whatever.

• Wow
People don't disagree with me on that, its the better part that gets em
I mean im a huge proponent of all kanye is good kanye. In terms of those two albums, there are more songs i actively want to listen to from MBDTF than 808s. In other words there are a couple songs i would skip

I mean im a huge proponent of all kanye is good kanye. In terms of those two albums, there are more songs i actively want to listen to from MBDTF than 808s. In other words there are a couple songs i would skip

Kanye just bought a ranch in my hometown... not sure why

• Haha
Missed the party but here I am.

1) I'm one of the laziest people you'll ever meet. There been many days where I was supposed to work but spent all day playing video games for 6+ hours instead. I feel bad seeing all my friends studying hard for undergrad classes and getting average because I could never put in the same level of work as my peers. I still sleep at 10:30pm each night and can't function without 8 hrs of sleep.

2) I have a tendency to BS everything in my life. Research presentations, midterms, family obligations, I never put in full effort if I don't have to. Leads me to pass by most of the time and on occasion, fail spectacularly.

3) I am overly concerned with my reputation and what others think about me. I hated being considered a nerd in high school and consciously made changes so that I wouldn't be seen the same way in college. I'm planning on making a LinkedIn as soon as I start medical school solely to flex on people from high school and college. Yes, I know, incredibly shallow.

Last thing, LOL about Muslims not dating. The Muslims I met in undergrad went harder at it than anyone else I knew. Years of pent up sexual frustration and newfound freedom will really do it to ya.

Our application cycle is a chance to highlight and present our best aspects. We talk ourselves up for months on end and even in anonymous forums like this we only share the good stuff. So, to change up the pace a bit and show that we aren't all the pre-med perfectionists that we present ourselves as, I would like to know:

What are some of your biggest flaws?

Obviously, keep it appropriate and keep it within the bounds of what you are willing to share. Don't give me any of this "My biggest flaw is that I am too caring" BS that I know we all spew on the interview trail. Genuinely, share your dirt, share the juicy gossip, keep it friendly, keep it clean, and be prepared to both be judged and to judge other people.

To get the creative juices flowing and to gain your trust, here are mine:

1) I tend to be excessively overconfident. This to the point that I tend to assume I am correct if there is not a subject matter expert present or I tend to assume potential positive outcomes for me as certainties.
2) I absolutely CAN NOT cook popcorn on the stove top. I can cook different fish, meats, vegetables, stews etc. a thousand and one ways, but popcorn either turns out burnt, too salty, too buttery, tastes like garlic for some reason.
3) I am the living embodiment of the meme 'Karen.' If I have a problem with something, it will be almost assured that you know that I have a problem with it.
Great post! I tend to be way too critical of how others' use their time when they ask me for advice to the point that they hate even asking me for advice. I also have a bad tendency of buying too many books and not finishing them. Sometimes I answer texts on my apple watch with a TapBack while stopped at a traffic light if it's easy. I also like to intermittently fast too violently so that when after a few days of famine my subsequent feast is so bad that I sometimes throw up like I'm some kind of Roman emperor with a vomitorium or sultan. I also tend to compare myself way too much to my friends' posts on Instagram because they have really incredibly amazing lives apparently but if I step back I'm sure there's a glossy veneer it masks (I hope). I used to take "study buddies" for final exams and used them for the MCAT which really helped but I'm lowkey worried I might need it for Step 1. I sometimes pluck my nose hairs if I get paranoid other people can see it even though the doctor I scribe for tells me all the time not to touch my vibrissae ever. I have a problem when I go to clubs and lit bars and drink too much so I am minimizing that.