The specialty mean yearly income from device and pharma industry for spine surgeons is $41,000 per year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is the mean.

Payments from medical device companies and pharma.

That means the average spine surgeon makes more in industry bribe money than the average american makes per year from their legitimate job.

The mean for pain doctors is :
$4650.00 per year.

Look it up here, see how corrupt your favorite doctors are:

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

$714 in 2018. Prolia ($239) beat out Nevro ($193) and Repatha ($178) for my top 3 lunchers.

Those linkedin and instagram physician endorsements of device manufacturers makes so much sense. These are paid endorsements being monetized on social media.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus...No wonder one of our spine guys drives a Maclaren.

$714 in 2018. Prolia ($239) beat out Nevro ($193) and Repatha ($178) for my top 3 lunchers.

You beat me. $O$...

I'm at like 550, I guess bc of the DRG course?

$718 for me

Very interesting to search some of the LinkedIn frequent posters.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Mine shows a little over 2k. Majority is for trip to cadaver lab in Pittsburgh paid by Abbott. Some other stuff I don’t recognize. Money from StimWave???
Most enlightening is the link to the individual manufacturers. Lots of the same people appear near the top of each list. All young private practice docs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine shows a little over 2k. Majority is for trip to cadaver lab in Pittsburgh paid by Abbott. Some other stuff I don’t recognize. Money from StimWave???
Most enlightening is the link to the individual manufacturers. Lots of the same people appear near the top of each list. All young private practice docs.

can you share that link for the individual manufacturers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got there from the profile for individual docs. Search Tim Deer. A list of manufacturers who gave him money will come up. If you click on the manufacturer it will link to their profile and a list of doctors and institutions they paid.

Reactions: 1 users
I got there from the profile for individual docs. Search Tim Deer. A list of manufacturers who gave him money will come up. If you click on the manufacturer it will link to their profile and a list of doctors and institutions they paid.

Do you think this raises concerns about ASPN or other groups?

Do you think this raises concerns about ASPN or other groups?

Just like any “industry”, a few people broker the power. You get taped on the shoulder by the right individual and you’re a “made man/gal”. I know nothing about ASPN except that it appears to be a run by a diverse group of very carefully selected young docs who really know how to use social media.

Holy smokes
Annotation 2020-01-19 205520.jpg

I apparently got paid $1000 in 2018 for travel and lodging... don't remember going to any cadaver courses that year but I guess I must've.... hmmm, wonder if they make this stuff up

Isn't the way it works for the spine surgeons is they are contracted to "help design" a new screw. They come out, play around with it at a cadaver lab, make suggestions and then they are a designer and the stark laws etc are skirted?

what do you mean? Diversity seems like a good thing...
Sure it is. It shouldn't be the focus of a society dedicated to pain and neuroscience though. I shouldn't matter what the color of your skin is, what religion you are, or however else you identify yourself. A society dedicated to pain and neuroscience should focus on pain and neuroscience, not what the membership looks like.

I apparently got paid $1000 in 2018 for travel and lodging... don't remember going to any cadaver courses that year but I guess I must've.... hmmm, wonder if they make this stuff up

I have like $17 on me for a time when I was in Italy on my own dime. . . So yeah, there is inaccuracies.

The better question is. . . who cares?

An ortho here gets like $0.8M-$1M per year from Striker. Still works like a dog. I suspect there are big outliers that drive up the mean.
I have better things to do than question the ethics of the people who work around me.

the ethics of these same people who work around you influence the treatment that patients get. there is a clear correlation between the gifts and money that are paid to these people with the treatments they will push onto their patients and convince other doctors to use.

that ethically doesn't bother you?