The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Skyrim. Oh my. Everyone's obsessed with it... My friend barely getsnto see her bf lately because of that game.

I too have a Skyrim boyfriend. I think this thread has turned from a support group for anxious pre-vetters to a support group for those affected by the tight grasp of Skyrim.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LOL count me as another one who has 'lost' my boyfriend to Skyrim. I have the stupid songs stuck in my head when I'm studying....

The ex claims that he never studies because he knows all of the material. I have no choice but to believe him because he got a scholarship the last two years in a row. His laziness hurt him. I asked him if he was going to look into the computer science co-op program when he transferred schools. He did not bother looking into it. I asked him to look for jobs related to his field or to talk to profs about employment. He did not even look at the job bank. His parents are pressuring him to get a job because they know his savings are going to be depleted after living with me. He will not even consider looking for a job. It is just video games. He has no idea what he is going to when he graduates.

I busted my butt trying to find a job and veterinary experience. I spend a lot of hours a week volunteering. I spend a lot of time with friends. When I am not doing that, I am in my room studying or working on a few hobbies. I know what I want to do with my life. Heck, I know what I want to do with my life if I cannot do what I want to do in life. It is just strange for me, Ms. Motivated-Determined to be dating Mr. Lazy-Don'tCare. It was not making me happy!

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL count me as another one who has 'lost' my boyfriend to Skyrim. I have the stupid songs stuck in my head when I'm studying....

Not only have I lost my boyfriend to skyrim, I have also lost my brother and all of my friends :(

In addition I have lost all meaningful conversation because now the only thing I hear is "SKYRIM IS SOOOOO AWESOME"

Is it weird that I just hear of Skyrim two weeks ago?

Is it weird that I just hear of Skyrim two weeks ago?

I didn't hear about it until everyone I know with a Y chromosome was standing in line at walmart and/or target for 10 hours waiting for it to go on sale :rolleyes:

I busted my butt trying to find a job and veterinary experience. I spend a lot of hours a week volunteering. I spend a lot of time with friends. When I am not doing that, I am in my room studying or working on a few hobbies. I know what I want to do with my life. Heck, I know what I want to do with my life if I cannot do what I want to do in life. It is just strange for me, Ms. Motivated-Determined to be dating Mr. Lazy-Don'tCare. It was not making me happy!

At least you figured it out before it got too serious ;) I married mine (similar circumstances that grew rapidly worse in many ways)... I'm now divorced and pushing through... weird who we find attractive at one time, and then wonder, "what was I thinking?" some time later... lol

If I had a machine that could run Skyrim with me in Finland, I would be a non-Y-chromosome-wielding member of the hoard. :C Probably best for my productivity that I don't...

At least you figured it out before it got too serious ;) I married mine (similar circumstances that grew rapidly worse in many ways)... I'm now divorced and pushing through... weird who we find attractive at one time, and then wonder, "what was I thinking?" some time later... lol

Yikes.
I thought I was shocked that I would be thinking "what was I thinking?" after 3.5 years. I guess I lucked out by figuring that out.
I shall stop hijacking the thread now. Carry on!

My bf is a civil engineer. I just want to say that I'm not against video games. Playing them for a few hours a week or 1-2 hours a day is fine. I have a problem when it becomes playing them 4+ hours a day, buying a big screen TV with money you don't have just to see the game better, and not finishing your Masters thesis on time because video games got in the way. End rant.

Back to admissions woes.

I feel you on that one!!! Been there done that... done it again.. and again and again... then Mr. Lazy-Don'tCare Esquire cheated on me!!!

Finally I have a fantastic boyfriend (minus the skyrim) who is currently applying to law school :D proud girlfriend!

Finally I have a fantastic boyfriend (minus the skyrim) who is currently applying to law school :D proud girlfriend!

The one good thing for you posters that are competing with skyrim for attention, is that it's not a multiplayer game and DOES have a finish line!

Members don't see this ad :)
The one good thing for you posters that are competing with skyrim for attention, is that it's not a multiplayer game and DOES have a finish line!

...sort of, haha. It is an insanely complex game, and you can play it in dozens of different ways. So even if you play the game through the main storyline in 30 or so hours, there is still hundreds (literally) of side quests, guild things to do, leveling, etc. You can also restart with a different character with different strengths (stealth, magic, fighting, etc). There's also bound to be extension packs, mods if you play on PC, and other DLC, haha.

I have a 200ish hour Morrowind file, the game two back in the series (from before I started university). I have friends who have logged over 500 hours on Oblivion, the last one. Skyrim is even bigger. I wouldn't count on an "end" soon, but perhaps they'll get bored. ;p These games are really hardcore worlds, not just conventional games.

...sort of, haha. It is an insanely complex game, and you can play it in dozens of different ways. So even if you play the game through the main storyline in 30 or so hours, there is still hundreds (literally) of side quests, guild things to do, leveling, etc. You can also restart with a different character with different strengths (stealth, magic, fighting, etc). There's also bound to be extension packs, mods if you play on PC, and other DLC, haha.

I have a 200ish hour Morrowind file, the game two back in the series (from before I started university). I have friends who have logged over 500 hours on Oblivion, the last one. Skyrim is even bigger. I wouldn't count on an "end" soon, but perhaps they'll get bored. ;p These games are really hardcore worlds, not just conventional games.

God.. Oblivion. That was bad enough.

My boyfriend has a habit of giggling like a school girl when he gets excited.. it goes something like this "I just don't know what kind of MAGIC I want to use HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE"

Skyrim sounds amazing. I'd be happy to waste time watching someone else play just for graphics purposes. They look awesome!!!

Though I do think Davis waits till Feb on purpose, they have the staff equivalent to other schools that notify more than a month earlier. I think they would prefer to interview after their applicants have heard from most other schools. But that's all speculation.
Don't even get me started on my experience last year with UPenn. Or my lack of experience....sighhhh
IMO, it's nice to know if you are in the lower GPA/GRE crowd that at least you're looked at more than once. I dunno, it's a school that relies heavily on academic factors when it comes to admissions.
:thumbup:
Are we living the same life? Except in my case it is PlayStation and football pools :rolleyes:
I abandoned plan A, moved onto plan B (and had plans C-Z lined up). And I'm back to plan A. And I couldn't be more elated :D

The ex claims that he never studies because he knows all of the material. I have no choice but to believe him because he got a scholarship the last two years in a row. His laziness hurt him. It is just strange for me, Ms. Motivated-Determined to be dating Mr. Lazy-Don'tCare. It was not making me happy!
Trema....for future reference: Run fast, run far and don't look back. Just my opinion but only cause I dated several of those lazy bums, almost got involved with another motivated but immature boy - but ran like a cheetah once I got over being a deer in the headlights......:laugh:

I am another Skyrim girlfriend victim. Although recently, he's been into Doda 2 since he got invited to beta test. GRRRR!

So in an admissions related ranted, I emailed CSU the other day to let them know that I'm gaining some experience in an area that I hadn't really had much of at the time of application. I woke up this morning to an email saying that they thanked me for the update but the information wouldn't be passed on to those reviewing my application. I was a little caught off guard. All the schools I applied to last year wanted to know stuff like that...oh well, most likely won't be getting in there anyways.

This is a great thread topic since the regular "rant" thread seems to be more about other things besides applications and admissions. I have applied to three schools myself, and hope to hear from them in January. So, I'm keeping busy with other things (holidays, family, dogs) in the meanwhile. I am not allowing myself yet to think of backup plans too much (a DO program is in the back of my mind, though). I'm still hoping for the best for vet school. It's still early in the admission cycle, so we should all just chill for a while. Time flies and we'll know our fates soon enough. In a way, it's nice to have hope at this point and not be rejected or wait-listed or anything (yet).

Sorry to contribute to the thread jacking, but my boyfriend of six years was a CS major and hated it. He likes doing the techy stuff and hated all of the math work they had to do. So he switched majors to Health and Exercise. Now I have a boy that does the all night computer gameing sagas and triathalons. I get the benefits of him fixing my computers and the nice bod of a triathelete. Buuuuttt I have the same issues with sleeping arrangements I wake up at 6:15 every morning and he plays games til 4 in the morning sometimes. And now almost all of his time is dedicated to gaming or training so far less dateing time. We also blissfully tune out the obsessions of the other; he pretends that I am not going to have a ton of pets and I pretend that he wont spend all of his money on tech stuff or Tri bikes.

Well to tie this reply back into the theme of this thread (and to the Holiday spirit:)) all of us c/o 2016 hopefuls should focus on the good things in our lives and should put off the anxiety of hearing from our shools (at least til January:D).

My intent was not to highjack. ;).
My intent was to say that despite the bs going on in my life, I am doing alright and hope that others are well too.
I cannot wait for the break.

Oh, and on a positive note, one of my "easy" professors this term is teaching my Environmental Microbiology class next term. I am 99% sure I can boost the mark this course is replacing and I really enjoy her as a lecturer. So I am pretty excited. There were only 6 of us in the class I had with her this term, so she has gotten to know me quite well.

Well to tie this reply back into the theme of this thread (and to the Holiday spirit:)) all of us c/o 2016 hopefuls should focus on the good things in our lives and should put off the anxiety of hearing from our shools (at least til January:D).

Agh I think I refreshed my email like 40 times already today... to make it worse I'm having a horrible day and having trouble focusing on the positive :(

So I am getting the impression I should not buy my husband skyrim for Christmas?! :)

Right now he is over his obsession with angry birds and is trying out other games on the ipad, but I don't see it lasting. I am not one to talk since I can spend both weekend days at the barn (if I have time, which is mostly lacking in life these days) and never a swing a leg over the horse!

You have no idea how glad I am that my bf hasn't found Skyrim. He is finally over his World of Warcraft obsession (which almost literally consumed his undergraduate years). Now it is just Modern Warfare 3 (which he can atleast turn off and go to sleep at night), and he asked for pull up bars for Christmas. Hooray for beefy arms!

Stay positive everybody! Think of all the things you are lucky to have!

The same thing happened to me with Illinois! I sent them an email updating them on the hours I had gotten over the past month. When I didn't hear anything back I gave them a call and they said the email would be added to my file but no one would be reading it. Oh well. At least the other schools I applied to accepted the information.

The same thing happened to me with Illinois! I sent them an email updating them on the hours I had gotten over the past month. When I didn't hear anything back I gave them a call and they said the email would be added to my file but no one would be reading it. Oh well. At least the other schools I applied to accepted the information.

That's harsh of them to say. Boo Illinois! :mad:

Hmm, great. I applied to them as well.... I only did CSU now because they send out OOS offers/rejections sometime next month, so I hoped that maybe it would help me out since they don't do interviews. Guess not.

I applied there last year and made a HUGE mistate on my VMCAS. I e-mailed them to tell them about it and they said the same thing. I gues the thing to remember is that they get the highest number of applicants of any school, so attaching info to files would just add to the time it takes to go through the files (and we all would probably rather hear decisions in December than March).

Yeah I haven't gotten a very good response from contact with Illinois either. I asked them prior to submitting my supplemental if the grad course request form was only for research or theory - because I'm in grad classes - they said it was only if they were research or theory - so I didn't fill the form out.

Well then they didn't count 2 of my biology grad classes (6 credit hours) in my science GPA because they are titled Special Topics. But they did include my 10 year old Algebra classes - when I emailed about it I recieved a some what curt response.

They also have my classes for this semester wrong (they are missing one) I emailed about it because its correct on my transcript and on my VMCAS but no response - I have already written them off because with the way they calculated my science GPA I don't stand a chance of getting an interview

Point of post - you're not alone in Illinois not being super helpful post application submission

Yeah I haven't gotten a very good response from contact with Illinois either. I asked them prior to submitting my supplemental if the grad course request form was only for research or theory - because I'm in grad classes - they said it was only if they were research or theory - so I didn't fill the form out.

Well then they didn't count 2 of my biology grad classes (6 credit hours) in my science GPA because they are titled Special Topics. But they did include my 10 year old Algebra classes - when I emailed about it I recieved a some what curt response.

They also have my classes for this semester wrong (they are missing one) I emailed about it because its correct on my transcript and on my VMCAS but no response - I have already written them off because with the way they calculated my science GPA I don't stand a chance of getting an interview

Point of post - you're not alone in Illinois not being super helpful post application submission

Yikes! Glad I didn't apply there!!! That sucks :(

Is anyone else sick of people telling you, "you're going to get in, don't even worry about it?" I appreciate the support, but it just puts more pressure on me, like if I don't get in I blew what everyone seems to think is a sure thing.

Also, I hate how so many schools start getting back to you around finals and the holidays. I haven't heard anything yet, but talk about horrible timing, especially when I already have senioritis and the classes I'm taking this semester suck so my motivation is really taking a nose dive as it is. A rejection, or even an interview invite, would not help matters. I'd almost rather they just wait until after the new year

Is anyone else sick of people telling you, "you're going to get in, don't even worry about it?" I appreciate the support, but it just puts more pressure on me, like if I don't get in I blew what everyone seems to think is a sure thing.

Also, I hate how so many schools start getting back to you around finals and the holidays. I haven't heard anything yet, but talk about horrible timing, especially when I already have senioritis and the classes I'm taking this semester suck so my motivation is really taking a nose dive as it is. A rejection, or even an interview invite, would not help matters. I'd almost rather they just wait until after the new year

LMAO! I couldn't have said it better myself (on both accounts)! lol... I love my family and friends, and especially super supportive boyfriend, but they all totally believe that I'm going to get in, even with my not so great GPA... I don't think they understand how competitive it is :( Oh well, hopefully they know something I don't and they are right ;) hahaha

My classes this quarter are horrible as well :( I'm struggling big time, and it breaks my heart because I've brought my GPA up sooo much over the last 2 years, and I'm afraid these classes are going to make it plummet again :(

Good luck with your classes and finals! Enjoy your holidays! Try not to let the tribulations of vet school apps ruin them :)

So I am getting the impression I should not buy my husband skyrim for Christmas?! :)

Right now he is over his obsession with angry birds and is trying out other games on the ipad, but I don't see it lasting. I am not one to talk since I can spend both weekend days at the barn (if I have time, which is mostly lacking in life these days) and never a swing a leg over the horse!

Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja are pretty awesome little games, if he doesn't have them yet. Omnom is ridiculously cute:

omnom_sad_by_earnurm-d36bfs6.png

LMAO! I couldn't have said it better myself (on both accounts)! lol... I love my family and friends, and especially super supportive boyfriend, but they all totally believe that I'm going to get in, even with my not so great GPA... I don't think they understand how competitive it is :( Oh well, hopefully they know something I don't and they are right ;) hahaha

My classes this quarter are horrible as well :( I'm struggling big time, and it breaks my heart because I've brought my GPA up sooo much over the last 2 years, and I'm afraid these classes are going to make it plummet again :(

Good luck with your classes and finals! Enjoy your holidays! Try not to let the tribulations of vet school apps ruin them :)

Haha, thanks, you too. Luckily I've been able to beat into my boyfriend's skull that it's not a sure thing (thanks to the successful applicant stats threads), so he's helped me formulate all of my back up plans, but everyone else, including some of my friends who are also applying, seem to think it's a sure thing and it drives me crazy!

One of my classes in particular this semester is the worst I've taken (it's a botany class, I have to look at plant fossils, I now hate plants) and I've strongly considered letting my gpa plummet for the class, which I know is a horrible idea, so instead I'm just complaining about it and eating disgusting amounts of ice cream while studying so I don't go completely insane...

YES
A thousand times YES. They did this to me last year and when I didn't get in they all took on the attitude of "well, the schools are idiots/don't deserve you." I was crushed. I felt like I'd let EVERYONE down.
Every time I try to explain that it's really competitive and I'm a mediocre candidate at best, my boyfriend starts up with "I'm proud of you for just completing the application the rest of it doesn't matter to me one bit!" I'm certain the rest of you can guess how that goes over with me. They had so much faith last year, and I blew it at interview. How can I take advantage of their faith again?

I'd rather they all would just say, "I'm crossing my fingers for you this year!" than try to make me feel like I shouldn't worry about a thing, as if I'm practically in already. It makes me feel like I should have gotten in and there fore I must have messed it up instead.

YES
A thousand times YES. They did this to me last year and when I didn't get in they all took on the attitude of "well, the schools are idiots/don't deserve you." I was crushed. I felt like I'd let EVERYONE down.
Every time I try to explain that it's really competitive and I'm a mediocre candidate at best, my boyfriend starts up with "I'm proud of you for just completing the application the rest of it doesn't matter to me one bit!" I'm certain the rest of you can guess how that goes over with me. They had so much faith last year, and I blew it at interview. How can I take advantage of their faith again?

I'd rather they all would just say, "I'm crossing my fingers for you this year!" than try to make me feel like I shouldn't worry about a thing, as if I'm practically in already. It makes me feel like I should have gotten in and there fore I must have messed it up instead.

This is my third year applying and my family/friends STILL do this!! It drives me nuts!! I think they have finally started to realize that it is much more competitive than they thought. They aren't quite as bad this year but when I start to worry about not being accepted then they act as if there is no way they can reject me three years in a row and that I am definitely going to get in this time. YES, they CAN reject me three years in a row, there are NO guarantees. It drives me nuts, but I do realize they are trying to make me feel better; it just doesn't help.

Every time I try to explain that it's really competitive and I'm a mediocre candidate at best, my boyfriend starts up with "I'm proud of you for just completing the application the rest of it doesn't matter to me one bit!" I'm certain the rest of you can guess how that goes over with me.

I completely understand your frustration....once you are in vet school, if you are like me, you will have to deal with everyone saying "of course you will do great" not understanding, that "no I am not doing GREAT".

Having said that, I like what your boyfriend is saying. He isn't saying it isn't difficult, he is saying he unconditionally loves you regardless of the outcome. You really need someone like that who is detached from the outcome, and isn't being unrealistic about his expectations for you like the others around you are.

Sounds like you need someone to keep you grounded, whilst you (understandably) do the worrying!

This is my third year applying and my family/friends STILL do this!! It drives me nuts!! I think they have finally started to realize that it is much more competitive than they thought. They aren't quite as bad this year but when I start to worry about not being accepted then they act as if there is no way they can reject me three years in a row and that I am definitely going to get in this time. YES, they CAN reject me three years in a row, there are NO guarantees. It drives me nuts, but I do realize they are trying to make me feel better; it just doesn't help.

After my first year being rejected I had one of those awful conversations with a family member that actually told me that maybe being rejected meant this wasn't the right path for me and maybe I should do something else - ugh! They really don't get it - being rejected is actually normal the first go round for many applicants - I've said that so many times "the average vet take 2-3 times to get into vet school....blah blah blah".

Holidays are the worst - I have to say over and over and over - still applying - waiting to hear back.....

I often wish I could have done this process in private - never told anyone what I was doing - that way I can handle whatever happens on my own and not in the lime light of my entire family. I applied last minute last year and didn't tell many people - so that made it a little easier when I didn't get in - I knew I wouldn't get in last year but I was hoping for a little more productive feedback from my application - didn't really work out that way - but oh well - hindsight is after all 20/20

I completely agree. I can only take so many "Oh but we were all so sure you would get in" and "What exactly were those comitees looking for". I don't think that people that have no clue about admissions statistics should comment on their certainty of me getting in. My boyfriend always tells me to stop worrying because he is sure that I will get in, but I obviously didn't last year, so what makes you so sure.
One of the worst ones was my former PI who was head of the department that I got my degree in telling the dean of the college that something was wrong with their aceptance guidlines (during my graduation) because I didn't get in. I would rather that they not think I am trying to use connections to get in.

After my first year being rejected I had one of those awful conversations with a family member that actually told me that maybe being rejected meant this wasn't the right path for me and maybe I should do something else - ugh!

I had a family member who is a Vet tell me this BEFORE I applied the first time. I haven't seen her since getting rejected but I can only assume she is feeling vindicated in telling me and my mother in a "serious moment" that I should go find something else to do with my life. Makes me want to get in so much more to prove her wrong.

StartingoverVet -I completely understand your frustration....once you are in vet school, if you are like me, you will have to deal with everyone saying "of course you will do great" not understanding, that "no I am not doing GREAT".

Having said that, I like what your boyfriend is saying. He isn't saying it isn't difficult, he is saying he unconditionally loves you regardless of the outcome. You really need someone like that who is detached from the outcome, and isn't being unrealistic about his expectations for you like the others around you are.

Sounds like you need someone to keep you grounded, whilst you (understandably) do the worrying!
I get that it means he cares, and it makes me very conflicted over wanting to tell him to shut up and keeping my mouth shut cause he just means he loves me unconditionally.

Someone telling you they will love you, regardless of the outcome to me means "I'll still love you when you fail at achieving your dream." I know that's biased by my negative feelings but I really also can't feel like filling out the application is a big thing on it's own. I went through a lot of emotional hell about re-applying after the waves of "You'll totally get in!" gave way to "We still love you now what else are you going to do with your life since Vet Med obviously didn't work out." So, buckling down and filling out the app was big, but now it feels like it was step one, and if I'm not good enough to make it past step one, that's not enough for me, even if it is for my boyfriend. He's an amazing guy, and I'm glad to have him with me but I'm just about done with the encouragement from all corners.

I completely agree. I can only take so many "Oh but we were all so sure you would get in" and "What exactly were those comitees looking for". I don't think that people that have no clue about admissions statistics should comment on their certainty of me getting in. My boyfriend always tells me to stop worrying because he is sure that I will get in, but I obviously didn't last year, so what makes you so sure.
This. If they can't give a reason why I'll get in, other than "because you're you" then why are they saying it? Vet school admin committees will never know me the way you all do, due to the way I appear on paper vs personal, non-school related experience.

One of the worst ones was my former PI who was head of the department that I got my degree in telling the dean of the college that something was wrong with their aceptance guidlines (during my graduation) because I didn't get in. I would rather that they not think I am trying to use connections to get in.
This warms my heart that he cared so much, but I can also see the implications of "connections" that you might. To me, I would assume the PI giving the dean a piece of his mind would show the dean his frustration about you as an awesome person not getting in, rather than him trying to influence your app status. Did this PI write you a LOR? if not, you should totally tap him in the future for such (after we all get in this year, darn it!!)

Only my husband and my LOR writers know that I've applied to vet school. The LOR writers (especially the vets) know how hard it is, so they wish me luck and cross their fingers and all of that. They never say that they're sure I'll get in. The academic LOR writers also seem to know how hard this is. My husband says nice things like, "You should get in with your grades, etc." I didn't even tell my mother or my children that I've applied because I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me when/if it doesn't happen. I'm a very private person and haven't told any friends either. If I do get in, though, people will sure be surprised!

I had a family member who is a Vet tell me this BEFORE I applied the first time. I haven't seen her since getting rejected but I can only assume she is feeling vindicated in telling me and my mother in a "serious moment" that I should go find something else to do with my life. Makes me want to get in so much more to prove her wrong.

God, prove her wrong. I guess it's kind of horrible motivation, but I'm the same way - a couple months before heading to college, I overheard my parents arguing about tuition. (I eventually ended up with enough scholarships that they haven't had to pay any). I think I'll have the quote from my father: "She has all these big dreams, but you know she's going to fail out the first semester" burned into my memory for the rest of my life. Since then it has been a "well, f*ck you." as I most definitely did not fail out and while my GPA is not a 4.0, it's close enough for me to be happy.

Only my husband and my LOR writers know that I've applied to vet school. The LOR writers (especially the vets) know how hard it is, so they wish me luck and cross their fingers and all of that. They never say that they're sure I'll get in. The academic LOR writers also seem to know how hard this is. My husband says nice things like, "You should get in with your grades, etc." I didn't even tell my mother or my children that I've applied because I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me when/if it doesn't happen. I'm a very private person and haven't told any friends either. If I do get in, though, people will sure be surprised!

Not quite as private as that, but I've only told a couple close friends, my family and SO - many others assume it because of where I am in my undergrad career, though. My mother has been the only one who's super gung-ho about it, saying she "feels like it's my year" and such. I just try and tell her that it definitely isn't a sure thing and to not expect too much out of this year. She says I'm being pessimistic, and I agree. :laugh:

I certainly didn't advertise what I was doing outside of those I was taking all the pre-reqs with. I got a lot of shocked "you're doing that? " comments when I finally informed friends and not-as close family after I got in.

When I talk to mother she still asks me things like, "why don't you go 'into business' with this or that ex-colleague". Really, do you get the fact that I am in vet school and I am NOT planning on returning to my old field? Mothers. **SMH***

Yes...mothers! (Though I have to be careful here because I'm a mother myself...but I'm different, really!) Anyway, my mother is so into her own little world of lunches with her friends and helping out at church that she doesn't even remember if I graduated from college yet or where I went to school or anything. Even if I told her I applied to vet school (or that I got in) she would not pay close attention to what I've said and would forget. She has six adult children and is absent-minded about who is doing what. This is part of why I've kept her out of the picture. I only want support and don't need any downers at this point in my life.

This is my first year applying, and all my LOR writers and other vets told me I'd get in my first time applying...and that only made it all worse!!! I've only heard back from one school (UGA), and they said that they didn't receive a transcript on time (it was mailed mid-Sept...apparently they got it oct 5-ish) so I wouldn't be considered for admissions :(

Along with everything else that's sucky in my life right now, this makes me feel like I don't have a chance and should start making some serious back-up plans. I really don't like rejection, haha!

Gina-That is awful about the transcript. I hope your other schools got the transcript on time. It would be terrible not to get in on such a technicality!

I often wish I could have done this process in private - never told anyone what I was doing...

:thumbup: You already know it, but, let me tell ya, it's SOOO much easier this way. As a 4th time applicant (well, 3rd time given that the first time was eons ago) I opted to keep my mouth firmly shut this go round. The only people outside of SDN that know are my LORs, my proctor for my animal nutrition course, and two VERY good friends who kind of figured it out on their own. They've both been told that if they share they will need to be 'dealt' with.

Really, it's made this go round so much smoother... Nobody badgering about 'Have you heard anything?', and there will be no need for a pity party should it not work out in the end. Really, nothing is like having your friends and coworkers feel that they have to walk around you like someone died; and then have your family feel that an intervention is needed since your life is now 'over' even though your in your mid 30s with a job! I know they all mean well, but oi! :smack:

I haven't told many people that I applied this year, but I seem to have the opposite problem as the rest of you. People keep telling me I'm NOT going to get in. Worst of all, they are strangers!

I was at the doctor's office and mentioned it, and the doc actually said that I wouldn't get in unless I knew a senator or donated money. In the Rant thread I posted about a stranger who overheard my husband and I talking about it last night and interrupted our conversation to tell me that I wouldn't get in. I met my mom's boss over the holidays (he's a radiologist), and he said there's no way I'd get in because - wait for it - I'm TOO OLD.

I'm not a vindictive person, so it will be really hard not to be a total jerk to them if I do get in.

On an unrelated note, I really wish I would have applied to more schools, particularly those that are sending interview invites, like, now. I just want to know something, anything!

:thumbup: You already know it, but, let me tell ya, it's SOOO much easier this way. As a 4th time applicant (well, 3rd time given that the first time was eons ago) I opted to keep my mouth firmly shut this go round. The only people outside of SDN that know are my LORs, my proctor for my animal nutrition course, and two VERY good friends who kind of figured it out on their own. They've both been told that if they share they will need to be 'dealt' with.

Really, it's made this go round so much smoother... Nobody badgering about 'Have you heard anything?', and there will be no need for a pity party should it not work out in the end. Really, nothing is like having your friends and coworkers feel that they have to walk around you like someone died; and then have your family feel that an intervention is needed since your life is now 'over' even though your in your mid 30s with a job! I know they all mean well, but oi! :smack:
I actually am realizing the opposite. I didn't tell anyone last year- not my parents, friends, NO ONE. I wish I had someone to talk to about getting through the whole application process and writing essays and everything. I didn't know about SDN then, so that may be the difference. This year has been so much more tolerable because I can actually RANT about it to people, and of course all of you wonderful SDNers. I don't know how I survived through the application process last year without you! :love: