The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My science GPA is 2.9. Overall is 3.2. DAT scores were 20 lowest and 22 highest. 3 acceptances the first round. U Mich, U Detroit, and Case. Had 5 interviews haven't heard from Nova or U at Buffalo yet. But, I don't care, I'm in at U of Michigan. I had a 1.67 my Freshman year. 2.3 sophmore year. 3.22 junior year. 3.6 Senior year. Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

myameena,
There are plenty of dentsists work on Sat, go ask them. I shadowed for 2yrs on Sat. It's very important to have dental experience. Research they don't care much. Just know what kind of schools you want to be in and check it out. Start studying for the DAT now and you'll thank god that you did after your test. A little studying like 1 hr/day does make the difference.
Best of luck
Tink

Thanks Andy!! You were a good example for many of us. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Help guys.... ! I calculated my gpa wrong and it's much worse than I thought. Cumulative (masters included) is 2.67, science is 2.82. :( I'm so down right now. I feel that no one would ever give me the chance to prove myself now. I got some suggestions from the admissions people here at my univ and they said I couldn't change my graduation gpas so those were in stone, but I could retake classes that I done poorly in so the adcom could see that I had retaken them and done better. That's all I can really do now isn't it?

Dude...I'm so bummed... :( I know I have to totally kick ass on the DAT so I am still studying even though I probably won't take it til at least 6 months from now. And I will still find a dentist that works on saturdays and i will go shadow him.

I feel only half-hearted right now... do i still have a chance? I feel like such a lozer... :(

Myameena:

On my 2002 AADSAS application, my cumulative GPA was like a 2.4, my cumulative Science GPA was like a 2.3. I had about 4 Fs and 12 Ds something like that on my undergraduate transcript. You think any of the "adivsors" told me to continue my dream of getting into any dental schools? HELL NO!!! Every single "advisor" told me to "give it up", "you will not make it", and "you'll have no chance"! Exact words, I'm not even kidding!

But you know what, that just fuel my motivation to prove them wrong. Guess what's the first thing I did when I received acceptances to dental schools, I wrote those S.O.B.s and told them to get a new job, because they sucked at what they did!

Now, getting back to your situation, how many graduate level (Master's Degree) courses have you taken? You see, what helped me was my Post-Bac. course grades and my new DAT scores on my AADSAS application. On the AADSAS application, there are two separate columns for GPAs, Undergraduate and Graduate. I did well in all my graduate level Post-Bac. courses and it reflected my true academic ability. Dental schools saw that graduate GPA and they knew that I've matured and had a little TOO much fun during my undergraduate days.

If your graduate level course GPA is above a 3.2 (not cumulative with your undergraduate GPAs), then you'll be fine. There are a good amount of dental schools in the U.S. that requires a cumulative GPA on the AADSAS for you to even apply to them such as University of Indiana (a 3.0) and Univ. of Minnesota (requires a 2.75 cumulative GPA). On the other side of the token, there are a good amount of dental schools in the U.S. look at trend of academic improvement and maturity such as University of Detroit Mercy, NYU, Tufts, Temple, and Nova.

On top of your great graduate GPA (if you have them), if you do well on the DAT, meaning getting 20s/20s (Perfect Vision Club), that will FURTHER demonstrate that you're academically matured and motivated now!

Don't worry about the cumulative GPA thing, just be sure to do your research on which dental schools emphasize on the trend of improvement when you apply. In that way, you'll have better chances of getting accepted and it will save you A LOT of application money!

Plan of Attack:

If you've already finished your Master's Degree, then instead of retaking your past failed courses, I would register for a FULL-LOAD of upper division graduate level science courses such as: [NOTE: be sure that you take GRADUATE level courses so they reflect on your GRADUATE level GPA]

Histology
Physiology
Immunology
Pharmacology
Neurology/Neuroanatomy
Genetics
Molecular anything
Microbiology
Biochemistry
Anatomy (human preferebly, not animal)

Take a full load of these courses and you must earn "B"s (80%) or higher. Nothing less!! Post-Bac. programs are extremely helpful in your circumstances if you find an effective one. It helped me greatly! I did my Post-Bac. with a Osteopathic Medical (DO) school. If I can earn "B"s and "A"s in a medical school curriculum, then it sure shows that I can earn "B"s and "A"s in a rigorous dental school curriculum, right?! You see, effectiveness of my Post-Bac. program. I only did two quarters worth of Post-Bac. curriculum and I was accepted to dental schools regardless of my 2.4 cumulative GPA on AADSAS application!

Now if you haven't finished your Master's Degree, again be sure to maintain a cumulataive graduate GPA above 3.0!!

Remember, you're goal is now to demonstrate to dental schools that the current you is not the old you! You CAN handle any rigorous curriculum if one was offer to you. There is no better way to show dental schools that than to continue to do well in graduate level courses and ROCK the DAT (20s/20s)!!

Rhea in this forum will be another great resource to you, her story is extremely similar to mine and she received multiple acceptances this application cycle.

Good luck and keep your head high. Screw the cumulative numbers now, concentrate on individual grades!! Little by little, you'll be closer to matriculation.

:cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Yah-E -
Yes I already did my Master's degree. 3.5 in grad courses but then stupid me went and took a couple of undergrad courses during my master's and those brought my masters gpa down - go figure!? WhatEVER! It's still above 3.2 even with those undergrad courses.

I still have yet to take my ochems and my physics. My plan is to ace them. You think I should take a couple more grad courses in with them? I was hoping to retake organic I spring 2003, DAT summer or early fall and same semester physics I and orgoII, spring 2004 physics II (and grad courses?). Then have app in by deadline of that year. All these courses I will be taking will just be as a transient student since I'm not degree-seeking.

*deep sigh* I'm so glad I'm not alone. If you guys can do it then so can I!!!

So what do you think of my plan?

Those courses you've mentioned are very important, although they are daunting to (re)take, but very important since they are pre-requisites for dental school applications. Do take some graduate level courses with them in 2003 Spring semester since you only have one course planned. Dental schools do like to see a heavy load per semester, it shows them that you can "heck" it.

I never really believe in that "heavy load" thing until I found out that we, Nova, have 33 credits next semester!!! :eek:

Good luck and keep us updated!

Dearest Friends,

I've been checking this site for the longest time, but have never thought in posting a message. However, having been reading the posts on this subject, I feel I should share my story. A short version that is, cause I believe it'll give hope to a lot of you.

Here are my stats, I'm graduating next semester with a Biologo degree from a state university, not really a greatly known school..still growing in it's reputation. I have a cumulative gpa of 2.83 and a science gpa of 2.59. Believe me...these stats are straight from the AADSAS papers. My DAT scores were not that great, actually they were horrible when compared to what I needed to get in order to balance with the GPA.

Sci: 18
Bio: 18
GC: 18
OC: 17
PA: 17
Read: 18
QR: 17

I sent out my applications around august 27th, and applied to 12 schools. Among the schools that I applied, I received an interview from University of Florida. Still haven't heard a thing (besides secondaries) from the other schools. I did my interview on October 18th. And with those stats, you can pretty much guess that I felt pretty scared showing up there. However, I have a lot of extra activities, community service, volunteering involvement, dental shadowing, and research experience. Nevertheless, UF was out of my reach. I never even considered it being a possibility. And I was even considering the fact of not applying there, because it would have been a waste of money.

But you know guys, I couldn't have been more wrong in my life. On Monday I got a call from Dr. Sposetti (the assistant dean of admissions) at 8 am, congratulating me on being accepted to the Dental School for the fall of 03. I almost passed out!! I started crying, and couldnt' believe what I was hearing. hehehe...I'm still chocked by the whole thing.

Now..what I'm trying to say to all of you, is that EVERYTHING is possible as long as you GO FOR IT!! Never loose hope or faith in yourself!!! I know, there are times that it does get really tough and you're ready to let it all go...but just stay strong and remember to BREATHE!!!!! Keep your head up, and don't let ANYONE and i mean it, ANYONE tell you that you can't do it. There are schools out there who are looking past the grades and trying to find those individuals that are determined to bring the best into the field. Also..make sure to BE YOURSELF at the interviews...let them see the TRUE YOU!!!

Best luck to all of you!!! and keep fighting on!!
:clap:

holy cows! So they really ARE serious about the full credit thingy. I can't lose my faith and I will just kep working at this!! Keep in touch ok ?:) You are truly my inspiration!

Vooz

CONGRATS!!!! Wow what a story! Thank you so much for sharing. I really needed to hear it. :)

I just wanted to add my little bit.

I am an active member of the under 3.0 club. Currently my cumulative GPA is a 2.95 and my science GPA is somewhere around 2.8. I started off college having no idea what I wanted to do when I grew up, and really didnt work hard at all, as my grades show. Then, I discovered my love for dentistry. I realized I would have to drastically improve my grades if I was to be accepted. I worked extremely hard, and my grades went from a B's and C's to straight A's! I really wanted to show the schools that I could succeed in dental school, so I took the most difficult upperlevel biology courses I could, and received A's in every single one. My GPA still wasnt anything close to excellent though, so I knew the DAT would probably have to be my ticket in. I studied literally at least 8-10 hours a day for about a month for the DAT. I really worked my ass off like nothing in my entire life. I ended up earning a 22 academic and a 23 PAT. I was still incredibly nervous that I wouldn't be accepted. So, in my essay in the AADSAS application I made a special effort to explain my grades, and how I managed to turn around. I also made sure to tell all my professors who wrote me letters of recomendations that I used to be an very poor student, but I grew up alot and worked hard in their classes. I wanted to make sure they mentioned this in their letters to the dental schools.

Well, it all paid off, because today I was accepted into the University of Maryland Dental school (which is my first choice too!) It really is such a relief. My advice to others in my situation: Work hard and improve your grades the best you can. Don't be afraid to explain why you received poor grades and then improved. Do well on the DAT. Get good letters of recomendation. And, above all, do not listen to those who say you have no chance! Stay confident! I now definately believe that the dental schools look at the complete package of who you are, and not just at a couple numbers, before they make their decisions. If you show the schools you are a good person, you too can be accepted!

Another "Under 3.0" club member success story! Thanks for sharing!

My story is very similar to yours and I was also accepted by Maryland! Fortunately, it is also my first choice and I've decided that I will be attending school there next fall!!

Congrats and I look forward to meeting you!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Smile-doctor, maybe you and I can make an "Under 3.0 undergrad, over 3.0 predoctoral club" at maryland! I look forward to meeting you, and congrats to you as well.

Hey clubbers,

I'm starting to lose hope on the TX schools that I applied to. I'm still busy calling and having ppl that I know call them to put in a good word for me, but I have to consider the fact that I may not get an interview invite (I did apply late to these schools - so I learned a lesson there).

I'm thinking about applying to out of state schools, study for a year there, and then try to transfer back into TX. Any suggestions on a good cost/education/friendly to sub-3.0 schools out there that I might have a shot at if I apply now?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks...

It all depends on your DAT score now if you are an active member of this club (just like me:clap: :clap: ) Apply to school that cares only DAT scores or at least the scores mean something to them.
I know that UOP wants 20 across. Every one I know has a DAT score above 20 (with blemish GPA) also got interview at Temple. And NYU, BU...Those are schools that a bit more flexible. Sorry to hear that things don't go well for you with your state schools.
Best of luck.
T

dj-

make sure that you are able to transfer into a texas school after a year. not many schools that i know of take transfer or 'advance standing' students. rather, they have to take the first year over and start again as a D1.

as for out of state suggestions this stage in the process: try nyu or bu. maybe even marquette. i didnt apply there, but they recently sent me a letter asking me to send in my application. i dont know if this is standard practice, or perhaps they havent recieved as many applicants this year as expected. plus they dont require an interview.

To all my fellow under 3.0 clubbers,
Thanks for all the advice - I have really appreciated all the support, info and advice from everyone. The success stories have really been a motivating factor, and it's finally time that I can post my own. I got an acceptance to UTSA last week, and I really couldn't believe that I got in and am now on my way to becoming a dentist!

It?s been a winding path since I started down this road in 2001, but it?s all been worth it. So for those of you who think that your scores are too low, there are a lot of great ppl in this forum that have come back strong. Good luck to everyone out there with sub-par gpa?s. When I?m sitting on the adcom, I?ll be keeping an eye out for ya? Of course, from this day forward, I vow to permanently revoke my membership to this club when I start d-school - hook it up!

?A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.? ? Nixon

wanted to revive this thread. People are making references to it. Very helpfull

You guys sound like you need a lil' bit of "busupshot83-action" up in herre. I'll be glad to join the Under 3.0 Club!

Undergraduate Degree: English
Undergraduate GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 2.5 (thats my under 3.0 action going on)

I've only taken 2 science courses; this Fall Term, I start the long list of prerequiste classes (woot woot!). Pray for me... I'm gonna need it...

Time to get my game face on, I ain't playing around no more: :mad:

I have 2 more years of college, I'll keep this thread alive (if no one else does) by giving updates on my "gaining dental school acceptance" story. Pce out, and good luck to all the dental peeps.

Oh yeah... bigups to Yah-E, he gives the best advice on SDN. He is also the creator of this Under 3.0 Club. :clap: :clap: :clap:

got under a 3.0? we want you! post post post! :eek:

I've had these stats posted before in another thread, but I'll put them in here as well for posterity's sake:

Undergraduate Degree: Engineering Science (Biomedical focus)
Undergraduate GPA: 2.67 (!!! - and at least 90% of this were science/engineering courses)
Graduate Degree: Biotechnology (Bioinformatics focus)
Graduate GPA: 3.4
DAT: Academic - 19
Perceptual - 20

Applied late Oct. 2002 and results as of June 2003:
Accepted: NYU, Tufts
Waitlisted: U. Mich., Temple, BU, Pitt, VCU

Good luck to any current and future under 3.0ers out there.

I have a question for anyone who cares to respond:

I have a pretty good GPA right now--- a 3.8. BUT I still have several prerequisites to go. Im not making it in my summer calc course, adn I think I should retake it in the fall. Anyone have an opinion about whether a W with a retake will hurt more or less than a C or an F??

Janet

Janet, fo' real... are you paying for college yourself? Or are you on a scholarship. I have to pay for myself, so I don't like dropping classes. I did, however, drop a class last Spring Term cause I had a C and was scared for it to wreck my science GPA. Read my other post "Damn The Adviors" and you will see a few "Cs" will not kill you. Don't let it get your head, just studyin hard, and do your best.

I'm in the same boat as you, I kept switching majors; most of my GPA is from business classes. I finally decided to go with English and a try to get into Dental School; this leaves me behind in the sciences. I start this Fall Term with Chem I. Anyway, like you care :laugh:, I wouldn't drop it unless your getting less than a C. But that's also cause I have to pay for it myself. Your decision of course girl, your decision...

Im paying for it mostly with loans... I am a bio major, and the calculus is required for my major but NOT for the dental schools I want to apply to. I am just afraid that the grade I get--- probably lett than a C, will ultimatwly ruin my sci GPA. Right NOW the sci GPA is pretty good but I have Chem II, O chem and physics to still take, which leaves LOTS of room for lowering the GPA.

thanks for the advice.
J

I thought calc was a quantative methods (math)?

And.. some schools would like a clac and or stats class.

I was thinking about withdrawing from the summer class and reataking it in the fall. I plan to apply to UB and there is no specific calc requirement.

J

I find this thread is extremely helpful! Just bring it back.

This thread is dear to me, looking back reading all the posts I posted in the thread, it really brings back great memories.

I recall the application anxieties, the excitement for success after my second DAT, and the crucial pain of the waiting game for interview invitations.

I have to say, with my poor undergraduate start, I'm extremely proud of what I have accomplished. I am a true believer of you will get out what you put into it. If there's a will, then there's a way.

A year-and-a-half later from the date when I started this thread, it seems like again I'm trying to acheive the "unthinkable", taking the NBDE Part I a year earlier than when I'm suppose to take it. Not only I'm taking a year early, but I'm also aiming for at least an 90 average in a week!

I'll tell you one thing for sure, if I get that 90 average when September 2003 comes around and if we would had a yearly The Under 3.0 Club meeting, then I would share a glass of Christol with all of you club members to celebrate!!

In the mean time, I encourage all of the applicants for the current or future cycles that have subpar GPA to share your experiences and post your questions and concerns. There is a lot of brillant Pre-dental and Dental students and their experiences in this forum for you to take advantage of.

Keep posting in the "club" and do not let 3.75s and 23/23s inferior you.

Andy
Club President

I have a lot of anxieties right now so maybe if i share, I'll feel better: I currently have a measly 3.01 sci gpa and 3.4 cumulative. I absolutely sucked at the intro "weeder" courses. I started off as a "premed" and looking back i think my poor performance was due to not really seeing the relevance of the classes to my future and also not making school my #1 priority. While going to school, I worked at a clinic and volunteered at a hospital for a year before realizing it wasn't for me. Around this time I met up with an old friend who is now D2 at my state school and she greatly influenced my decision to be a dentist! I'm now studying for the Dats, and i really want to bring my sci gpa way up. I think this will be the one glaring weakness in my app so I have to buckle down and REALLY do well this school year. Wish me luck! :)

Woohoo:

Good luck studying the DAT, as I'm sure you'll do fine. One thing though, your GPAs are all above a 3.0! So technically, you're not qualified to be a member of this Club! :laugh:

Even if your GPA is 3.006, your qualification is still above our Club membership maximum GPA cutoff which is a 2.994 (anything above this would be a 3.0). I regretfully have to decline your membership application!

:laugh:

(Disclaimer: this is all fun and joke of course!)

Woohoo,

Although you are above the 3.0 mark in both gpa's being declined from the club doesn't mean you're not cool. I too was declined, although not in writing, my stats were immediately tossed into the rejection pile. Don't worry, even though they won't let us in, they let us chill with em, so no discimination.

i feel your pain.

Woohoo,

Although you are above the 3.0 mark in both gpa's being declined from the club doesn't mean you're not cool. I too was declined, although not in writing, my stats were immediately tossed into the rejection pile. Don't worry, even though they won't let us in, they let us chill with em, so no discimination.

i feel your pain.

oh no you didn't just deny my application yah-e!! I only it missed it by 0.01! plus, if you calculate gpa without +/- i have well below 2.9. But oh well, i didn't want to be part of stupid club anywayz so there!!!!!! :laugh:

Newest Member!

Northern Illinois University
Undergrad Ed: Biology Major (B.S.)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 2.4
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.3

Graduate Ed: Master of Public Health
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.8 (15 semester hours so far)
Science Graduate GPA: 4.0

Last 141 semester hours: (out of 215)
Cumulative GPA: 2.9
Science GPA: 2.7

1st DAT: Taking in August

Schools Appling to (I think):
UIC, SIU, NOVA, U of Detroit Mercy, U of Nebraska, NYU, Case Western, BU, UNLV, Tufts, Temple

AADSAS Submitted Date: Waiting for DAT

Welcome...you'll do just fine in the applications process. Just be sure to get those 20/20s!

Undergrad Ed: English Major (B.A.)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.17
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.7

Graduate Ed: Post-Bacc- Second Bachelors Degree (Bio-med)
Midwestern University School of Osteopathic Medicine
will graduate May 2004
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 4.0 (45 quarter hrs/30 sem. hrs so far)

1st DAT: Taking in October (I'm taking it later because I want to ensure that I score at least 20 + academic average.

1. UOP
2. University of Oklahoma
3. Nova
4. Detroit Mercy
5. NYU
6. Boston U
7. Temple
8. Tufts

AADSAS Submitted Date: Will not submit until late September Waiting for DAT

Originally posted by mcataz
Undergrad Ed: English Major (B.A.)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 2.95
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.8

Graduate Ed: Post-Bacc- Second Bachelors Degree (Bio-med)
Midwestern University School of Osteopathic Medicine
will graduate May 2004
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 4.0 (45 quarter hrs/30 sem. hrs so far)

1st DAT: Taking in October (I'm taking it later because I want to ensure that I score at least 20 + academic average.

1. UOP
2. University of Oklahoma
3. Nova
4. Detroit Mercy
5. NYU
6. Boston U
7. Temple
8. Tufts

AADSAS Submitted Date: Will not submit until late September Waiting for DAT

mcataz,

you might want to consider submitting your app. before you take the DAT because it takes FOREVER for AADSAS to get your application processed and sent to schools. if i'm not mistaken, the DAT score go straight to the schools and are not processed by AADSAS. that might give you a chance to be reviewed a little earlier by the admissions committees.

best of luck!

That's a good idea. I will submit it during mid-August. Thanks

Hey guys,
mistakingly posted at the post bacc forum.
I got advised to look into dentistry when I was an undergrad.
An advice that I ignored:oops: Thinking about it maybe I should have
because I might find it interesting.
School: Brandeis University
GPA 2.61
science gpa is probably very low
got b and c in first year chem but then F's in Organic chem (twice!)
and F in biology.
Was asked to take a couple of years of to clear my head(which I did).
Haven't done anything yet about pre dental. First issue would be getting into a post bacc but due to my low gpa and don't have anybody to ask for recom. Just took 3 courses in CS because I was trying to get into programming(current state of the economy is making me rethink this). My gpa for the 3 courses is 3.91 however I have taken some programming courses before.
Issue with repeated courses would pop up with my transcript as well as low gpa. It has been 10 yrs since I've taken the premed/predental courses in chem, biology, and organic.
Is there any way for me? My transcript probably will generate more questions than the Enron scandal?:(

Just recently recommitted and have "grown up".:eek:

Blankguy:

Welcome to the forum. Instead of undertaking a formal postbacc program, you may also want to consider just repeating all of the predental prereqs as a non-degree seeking undergrad. Because your earlier performance in the sciences was weak, you will need to try to make A's in all of your repeated coursework, and no less than a B in any new coursework taken. In addition to the prereqs, most schools would like to see you take 2 or 3 upper division science classes (Biochemistry, Physiology, and Comparative Anatomy are good ones). If you do this, and perform well, the adcoms will see that you've become a mature student. Older students are looked upon favorably by adcoms because they usually have unique work and life experiences that prepare them for the rigors of dental school.

Make sure that you spend as much time as possible shadowing in a dental office. You want to make sure, especially if this is a second career for you, that dentistry is the right decision. Gaining admission to dental school when you have a blemished academic record can be physically, mentally, and emotionally draining. (I know this from my own experience). Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in your personal life in order to devote yourself to making the grade. If a career in dentistry is what you really want, you will need to have your goal to focus on when times are tough.

I wish you the best of luck! You can do it if your heart is in it.

Smile_doc:cool:

My overall gpa and my science gpa will still be low. I read tha some schools will use a cutoff because of the number of applicants. Also if I take predental course without formally being sponsored by the program(like the Harvard Extension), how negatively will this impact. I want to make sure that this is achievable, it's one thing saying that its doable with reasonable chance of getting in and doable but is going to be like winning the lottery. Also how am I suppose to handle courses that I have repeated. Wouldn't they just average that with my previous miserable attempts(making my gpa still low for the sciences)?
In the boston area which schools are good places to take the courses?

Blankguy:

Welcome to SDN and the Under 3.0 Club! You will find many similar stories here from fellow SDNer as yours and many have positive outcomes.

Your situation is this:

1) you have low GPAs (overall and science)
2) you've been out of school for awhile, it may be daunting to want to study Organic and General Chemistry courses again along with the rest of the Pre-dental requirements

Your plan should be this: (if for fact dentistry is now your goal)

1) retake all previous failed courses (all Pre-dental prereqs)
- general chem
- organic chem
- general biology, etc.

2) Only once completed #1 above, then enroll yourself in graduate level science courses by either enroll in an official Post-bac. program or simply take a full load at your local University.
- NO more Computer Science courses (waste of your time, adcoms do not want to see these, they want to see prereqs done and upper division science courses
- take upper division science courses that ends with -ology, such as Microbiology, Immunology, Physiology, Virology, Bacteriology, Histology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Cell Biology, etc.
- additional recommended courses also include Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Genetics, etc

Why are you doing this, simply because if you don't successfully pass the all the prereqs first (courses in #1 above), then you will not be successful at these upper division level courses. These courses are challenging as well as demanding for your study time.

Also, you want to take these courses to establish a GRADUATE level GPA where it will not be buried/averaged into your undergraduate GPA. This new GRADUATE level GPA will stand out in your dental school application (AADSAS application).

Prereq courses (#1 above) will be averaged into your undergraduate GPA, but as I said earlier, it would be wise for you to retake them to get yourself orientated back in the "science mode".

Further, by retaking previously failed prereq courses and all those upper division sciences courses (#2 above), you'll be prepping for the DAT, which leads me to my next suggestion.

3) You must earn 20/20s on your DAT! No and/or/buts! You are at a situation where you need to prove yourself, no one will believe you unless you have proven yourself worthy.

We need to see new grades (no lower than 80/100% or B-). Not only we'll need to see new good grades but those grades better be in upper divisional sciences. FURTHER, we'll need to see new good grades, in upper division science courses, but ALSO all that in a heavy load (>12 semester credits per semester)!

Show us that you can do it!

Now, my favorite way to demonstrate to the admissions committee that a 2.4 is a reflection of my past.....is the DAT....there is no methods available to you that is better and that is more effective than to do well on the DAT to show the dental schools that you're now "mature" and "ready"! There is simply no better way!

In your circumstance, YOU MUST, YOU MUST aim and earn 20/20s!

With a 20/20 DAT score and a new graduate level GPAs that are greater than a 3.0, you'll be in a dental school in no time. Your undergraduate record will be recognized, but it will be your new records that will shine and acknowledged!

You have a long road a head of you, I suggest you pack yourself some lunch and put on your boots! I would start to look for classes to register for this Fall!

Good luck!

I would agree with Yah-E and Smile_doctor. You probably want to re-take the basic science courses and do very well in them. I also changed my career to dentistry. I have 2 degrees, one in Spanish and the other in Human Resources. I worked in the past 7 years for big companies such as Honeywell and Qwest in their HR dept. I took a voluntary separation package and received a very good amount, paid my bills (including undergrad loans) and now I'm taking the basic science pre-reqs. This semester I'm taking Physics, O Chem and Bio 2, and plan to take the DAT sometime in the next couple of months. Like they said, if you can show them that you can do well in those courses (A's, B's) and do well on your DAT you have a very good chance. Also like they said, taking some upper division science courses will strengthen your application. Good luck and feel free to send me a pm if you would like to discuss anything further.

Does that mean that I have to retake the general chem which I did not fail? Also I've had one of my friends tell me that he was taking 2 courses(don't remember which one) with both labs and say that it was a heavy load, felt like a full time student. Also since it seems that I can't get into any programs(post-bacc or certificate) I would have to take the upper level undergrad courses since you mentioned graduate level.

Do you think I should talk to an admission person? Or would they just end up telling me that "it's unlikely or not possible" to recover from this predicament?

Any recommendations as to which school I should take it in Boston?

Don't remember how long you indicated you had taken gen chem. If it's been a long time (5+ yrs) I would reconsider taking both classes for 2 reasons: to improve your GPA (perhaps) and to prepare for the DAT. I just took Gen Chem 1 and 2, and I feel the info is somewhat fresh in my mind since I'll be taking the DAT in a couple of months. Secondly, I would strongly encourage you to read ItsGavin thread on his AZ experience. THERE you're talking about a heavy load. I actually took 2 science courses last Spring because it had been more than 7/8 years since I had taken any science courses w/labs. I did quite well and in a way regret not taking an extra course. I think it is correct to assume that dental school won't be a piece of cake, and if you have doubts on taking more then 2 science courses because of the heavy load, I would seriously reconsider applying to dental school. My two cents!

I took my general chem course about 11 years ago. The thing that worries me is if I repeated the people looking at my transcripts will say "what's this? Why did you repeat this course"
Also the reason why I brought up this 2 course thing was that some people here seem to have something else going on like work so if they tried it they would be overloading, also they come with labs which count as 1/2 courses. The experiences in AZ thread is quite an eyeopener. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is go to an information session and explain my situation, maybe the people there for the post bacc will be in a better position to tell me, not that I doubt any advice people on here have given me is bad or questionable.

Also what I'm not clear on is that since I can't get into any official certificate post bacc program, how will this affect my application. I looked up BU and not being part of the post bacc program meant that I couldn't make use of their premed advising?

Also in BU the metropolitan college doesn't seem to have grad courses, just upper level Biology and clinical courses. Could this be treated as grad do they have to be grad courses or upper level undergrad since they may show up differently in the transcript?

I also want to talk to an admin person from a dental school to see what they say about my situation(besides you can't do it or unlikely:mad: ). Anybody know who I should talk to at BU dental?

HELLO EVERYONE,

WELL I AM VERY GLAD THAT I AM NOT ALONE. I BECAME A MEMBER OF THE SDN TODAY (AFTER A WEEK OF FRUSTRATION).

LIKE MANY OF YOU, HERE ARE MY STATS AND I HOPE I GET SOME INPUT BY YOU GUYS.

GRADUATED FROM CAL STATE U WITH BA/BIO
SCI GPA 2.90
NON-SCI 3.10
CUM GPA 2.97

DAT
AA 19
PAT 18
QR 17
RQ OOOOOUCH 15
BIO 21
GCH 19
OCH 25
TOT SCI 21

MY AADSAS # IS IN 100-150 RANGE AND HAVE SUBMITTED ABOUT 10 SECONDARIES AND HAVE MY 1ST INTERVIEW AT INDIANA NEXT MONTH. THIS INTERVIEW CAME TOTALLY UNEXPECTED AND COINCIDENTAL BECAUSE INDIANA WAS ONE OF MY TOP CHOICES. SO I GUESS WOOOHOOOOO. I HAVE APPLIED TO 32 SCHOOLS AND HAVE GOTTEN REJECTED BY MARYLAND, OHIO STATE, AND IOWA ALREADY. OHIO STATE REJECTED ME ABOUT A WEEK AFTER THEY GOT MY AADSAS AND WITHOUT MY DAT SCORES. I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY NEVER EVEN GAVE ME A CHANCE TO SEE HOW I'D DO ON MY DAT'S, BUT OH WELL.

I HAVE HAD A LOT OF ADVERSITIES TO GO THROUGH, COME FROM A FOREIGN AND VERY UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRY, LOTS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE, VOLUNTEER WORK AT A DENTAL OFFICE, AND GOT HIRED AT THAT OFFICE AND HAVE BEEN WORKING THERE AS A DENTAL ASSISTANT FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS NOW.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR IN PUT AS FAR WETHER I SHOULD ALREADY BE THINKING ABOUT TAKING THE DAT AGAIN AND WETHER I HAVE A CHANCE AT ANY OF THE SCHOOLS.

THANKS AND I AM VERY GLAD TO FINALLY BE ABLE TO JOIN YOU ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.