THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My other sciences are:

bio I lab: B-
chem I lab: A-
calculus I: B (this was 4 credit hours)
bio lab II: B
chem lab II: B+
physics I: A-
organic chem I lab: A
statistics :A

will this help? my 2 c's were freshman year I don't plan on getting any more and I'm going to try and do well in orgo 2 and anatomy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I need your advice
my overall GPA is 3.1
1 years of general chem: 2 As
1 years of OChem: B and C
1 year of physics: 2 Cs
1 Years of English: A and C
Calculus I, II, III: 3 As
Statistics: B+
Physiology w/o lab: B+
Microbio: w/o lab: B+
1 Year of general bio: A and B.
Immunology: C
Cell bio: B
Genetics: B
biochem : A-
molecular bio: B
I checked out statistical mean GPA for pharm schools, and my GPA is below it. I'm thinking about retake Ochem II and physics classes, but my school (UC Irvine) wont let me repeat it. when i started college, my GPA was 3.5 high, but before i transferred to UCI, i got C in Ochem II and Physics classes. Because i worked 30 hrs a week.
then my 1st year at uci, i felt like totally lost in school, didnt know what classes to take. and this it my last year at uci, i'm trying to bring my GPA up, it's getting a lil bit better. Since this is my last year, all classes are really hard, so it's hard to bring GPA up like 3.4 or 3.5. It is seemed like impossible even i have like all As in the rest of my classes (5 mores)
I'll graduate this Fall 09. my undergraduate gpa is 2.99
Can you tell me what should i do to enhance my application.
does the schools look at the trend like my GPA was high went down and up a liltle bit?
thank you for putting your times look at my situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
pdng, Seeing that you go to one of the top schools in the country and are almost finished with your degree, I would leave the few C's alone and enhance your application in other ways. Become a CPhT if you're not already and do some exceptional extrcurrular stuff. Also, you should take the pcat and apply out of state. With a 2.9 or 3.0 you might have a harder time scoring an interview in Cali. Plus Cali schools charge too much $$$ for tuition don't you think? 30 to 50k a year for a PharmD! Is an apartment on the beach and a new BMW included with that?

thanks atticus27,
I'm thinking about pharm tech too.
what are other things beside pharm tech to enhance my application, could you tell me please?
btw, i didnt know UCI is one of top schools 'cause i'm new to this country. I've been living here just for 6 years. i go to UCI because it is close to my house

thanks atticus27,
what are other things beside pharm tech to enhance my application, could you tell me please?
btw, i didnt know UCI is one of top schools 'cause i'm new to this country. I've been living here just for 6 years. i go to UCI because it is close to my house

To dramatically increase your chances, you must retake all the science classes you got a C in. For pharmacy school application, it doesn't matter if your 3.1 GPA is from UCI or Stanford or from a Community College. It's all the same thing.

Keep in mind, the majority of accepted pharmacy students had little or no pharmacy experience at all. This means the world of academia still favors an applicant with a high GPA and no pharmacy experience over one with low/average GPA and with lots of pharmacy experience. (Trust me, I speak with lots of experience)

You should definitely work on your GPA FIRST. And if time allows, pass the PTCE and look for a pharmacy tech job.

For a real chance at any California Pharmacy schools: Retake your science classes and pull your overall GPA to a 3.3 or higher.

For non-California Schools: Retake your science classes and score at least 80+ composite on PCAT

how do i repeat my classes since I've known that schools in my area such as community college won't let me repeat the course w/ C, and how is my GPA calculated after i repeat classes.
thank you

how do i repeat my classes since I've known that schools in my area such as community college won't let me repeat the course w/ C, and how is my GPA calculated after i repeat classes.
thank you

You can just take the same course and put it twice on when you apply. I am sure the schools will average the GPA out. That's what i did for one of my classes and i went to Irvine also. And do not be discouraged with a low GPA. remember GPA is not everything. My GPA is around 3.25 right now after fall quarter but when i applied i had a 3.1 or so in all the pre - reqs and i landed an interview. So remember pharmacy school is looking for an all around candidate that will enhance the profession not just any individual. Make yourself look good, do some research, do some volunteer work, get published, volunteer some more, make your self different from all the others!

thanks atticus27,

Volunteer work and extracurricular activities can help on an application. And I think it's silly that schools "won't" let you redo courses. As long as you pay tuition, you should be able to take what you want to take.

thank you

I've never heard of a college not willing to let you repeat a course. As long as you are paying tuition, why shouldn't you be allowed to take the class?

Are you saying the college is not willing to let you repeat a course to replace a letter grade? (If you apply through pharmCAS, ALL your college level grades are averaged in calculating your GPA)

If you've graduated from UCI, you can still retake UC classes through concurrent enrollment (see your UC extension Center)

You can definitely repeat your classes at a CC (show them your transcript, and CC will bypass all the prereqs for you to retake the class of interest)

I've never heard of a college not willing to let you repeat a course. As long as you are paying tuition, why shouldn't you be allowed to take the class?

Are you saying the college is not willing to let you repeat a course to replace a letter grade? (If you apply through pharmCAS, ALL your college level grades are averaged in calculating your GPA)

My university (GVSU) only allows 1 retake of any course for any reason, unless you get permission from the Dean. It is done because students abuse it - they try to get into a program that is highly exclusive (such as nursing) and will retake and retake and retake in order to get an A. This means they have to hire more profs and open more sections for students who are either not doing the work the first time or simply not smart enough to pass the course (and yes, there are those people).

Makes sense to me.

My university (GVSU) only allows 1 retake of any course for any reason, unless you get permission from the Dean. It is done because students abuse it - they try to get into a program that is highly exclusive (such as nursing) and will retake and retake and retake in order to get an A. This means they have to hire more profs and open more sections for students who are either not doing the work the first time or simply not smart enough to pass the course (and yes, there are those people).

Makes sense to me.

I see what you are saying.

The answer behind why some students perform poorly could be more complex than we previously believed. For whatever reason, sometimes life happens and students retake once or even twice. I don't believe a retake should be automatically generalized as an act of abusing the academic system.

Every student's situation is unique and should be considered on a case by case basis (hence, permission to retake a class is the dean's decision. It is usually approved under certain circumstances)

If it's not approved by the dean, one can always take the class at another school.

With the exception of the disabled (physical or mental), majority of the time, people quit and tell themselves they are simply not smart enough to pass the course.

If there is a will, (most of the time) there is a way.
:)

I'm very interested in UOP so please advise. WAMC: I have a BA in political science from UCLA (I liked the subject plus when I decided I wanted a career as a pharmacist it was too late to change major). My undergrad GPA there was 3.0.

I've been completing my pharm pre-reqs at city college and I have a 3.4 cum and 3.2 science gpa. I still have 3 more science classes left. I've been working part-time at a local retail pharmacy for over a year now. I have a newborn (7 months old) so that has limited my extracurricular involvement since undergrad. I plan on getting into some clubs this semester (SPRING '09) at the city college for volunteer work. How many hours are realistic with school, work, baby and the gym (I like to workout)? Should I even bother?

I will be applying as early as June this year for fall 2010 admission since UOP has rolling admissions. I believe I will be getting at least 2 strong letters of rec (pharmacist and professor). And I will be definitely aiming for A's this semester to boost my GPA.

What I should do from now until application time to enhance my application? Anyone accepted there please give me stats so I have an idea...Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY all! =) Just the normal.. wamc thread =) Any advice is appreciated.

-Cumulative GPA: 3.70-3.75,
-M/S of ~3.5.
-PCAT Comp: 70

~150-200 hours of volunteer work in the community, such as meals on wheels, tutoring, and hospice work.

-30 hours of job shadowing in a hospital pharmacy, and at least 70-100 hours of volunteering in a pharmacy (local, independent)

I have ~110 credits, most of which are from a community college in the area. I will have 2 associates when I apply, at least one of them in science, if not both.

-REALLY good LOR's (manager, orgo prof, gen chem prof, math prof, maybe pharmacist after done w/ volunteering)

-deans list every semester of college (~10), transfer scholarship to wayne, 2 other scholarships also (total amount = $5700)

In explanation of so many courses at a CC--

A year or two ago, I talked to a lady from one of my instates pharmacy schools (Ferris), and she told me it would be better for me to just complete classes at my CC, and save money, even if I had over 100 credits, bc I had a competitive edge gpa-wise. Wingate also said to just take them at a CC..?

OH! Schools applying to:
-wayne state
-ferris
-lipscomb
-belmont
-wingate
-sullivan
-hawaii
-shenandoah

So i'm just trying to get a feel for things.. thanks again.

I'm very interested in UOP so please advise. WAMC: I have a BA in political science from UCLA (I liked the subject plus when I decided I wanted a career as a pharmacist it was too late to change major). My undergrad GPA there was 3.0.

I've been completing my pharm pre-reqs at city college and I have a 3.4 cum and 3.2 science gpa. I still have 3 more science classes left. I've been working part-time at a local retail pharmacy for over a year now. I have a newborn (7 months old) so that has limited my extracurricular involvement since undergrad. I plan on getting into some clubs this semester (SPRING '09) at the city college for volunteer work. How many hours are realistic with school, work, baby and the gym (I like to workout)? Should I even bother?

I will be applying as early as June this year for fall 2010 admission since UOP has rolling admissions. I believe I will be getting at least 2 strong letters of rec (pharmacist and professor). And I will be definitely aiming for A's this semester to boost my GPA.

What I should do from now until application time to enhance my application? Anyone accepted there please give me stats so I have an idea...Thanks all!

I definitely recommend having your UOP application in during the first tier! (Last year I was third tier and got a "no thanks" letter.. this year, first tier got me an interview in November!) You already know the PharmCAS prompt and I think you can look at last year's UOP supplemental to see their prompts, too.

I think the "hours" you spend volunteering or in clubs aren't as important as what you take away from it - and really that means, what you can communicate in your essays and interviews about it. I volunteered with a clinic for less than 10 hours a month (basically one or two days a month) for about 6 months.. I didn't feel very strongly about putting it on my application because it felt like so little time.. but I had some great stories to tell about what I learned interacting with patients/med students/other volunteers, and I think that made all the difference in my interview. So if you pick your clubs wisely I think you'll be okay without as many hours of involvement.

I spent 9 years in the Navy nuclear power program as an aircraft carrier mechanic. Instead of working in a power plant I'm looking to go to pharmacy school in a couple of years. Here's my info:

Navy Stuff: Navy Nuke for 9 years as already stated
Was E-6 for 3 years prior to separation
Attended Navy leadership training
Held several quality assurance qualifications
Member of the propulsion plant drill team onboard the ship
(chosen by higher level officers to help run drills on watch
teams in the reactor plant)

School Stuff: 3.14 overall GPA which includes 9 sem. units of F's received
prior to the Navy due to giving up on school after joining.
Also received 1 Incomplete in same semester.

Currently attending CC since Spring of '07. I have been
taking 13-14 units each semester since the first in which I
took 9 units, while working AT LEAST 40 hrs/wk in the Navy

My GPA since then is 3.56 with similar science and pre-req
GPA's. About half of my GE courses were online due to
working so many hours.

I will be attending UCSD beginning Fall of '09 and majoring in
pharmaceutical chemistry.

I have 2 W's during this last summer semester due to having
to work 12-hour shifts for several weeks straight with only a
few days prior notice.

Other: None of the schools I will be applying to require the PCAT

My EC/volunteer experience so far is limited to beach
cleanups and coaching an amateur baseball team on spare
weekends. I plan on beginning to work in a pharmacy part
time and doing more volunteer work starting next fall, after
I take this summer off of work after getting out of the Navy
in March.

I would also like some input as to whether or not I have a chance of getting in prior to receiving a BS. I'm 27 and would like to expidite the process as much as possible. All of the schools I will be applying to do not require a Bachelor's, but state that only candidates that show extremely high academic performance and superior leadership skills will be considered without one. I know I have the superior leadership skills part from the Navy, but I'm not sure if my grades are that great, even though they were earned while taking more than full course loads while working more than full-time.

Thank You!!

a. Schools you are applying to--KU and UMKC

b. Overall GPA--3.92

c. Math/Science GPA--4.00

d. GPA in last one or two school years--3.92

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)--

Aug 08
Verbal 406 58%
Bio 405 56%
RC 394 35%
Quant 403 47%
Chemistry 414 67%
Composite 404 51%

Oct 08
Verbal- 393 35%
Bio- 435 91%
Reading- 384 21%
Quant- 413 64%
Chemistry- 425 80%
Composite 410 64%

3 and 3 on essays
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Shadowing at nuclear pharmacy and volunteering at hospital last 6months...probably 70hrs

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs--average LOR's...one from director of pharmacy at hospital, microbio professor, and someone who really knows me that lead all of the volunteering i did the last couple of years
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience--about 200hrs through knights of columbus last couple years, in clubs and doing research for organic professor
j. Self-perception of interview skills--average but dont know
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality--pretty good writer

Im trying to figure out how i look because my app is good except for my verbal and RC on pcat...I dont know though. I am taking it again in january and will actually study so hopefully I can increase my scores even more but no guarantee with how many scores drop even if you study sometimes. Just wondering how I look to others because to me I dont look all that good with such a low pcat score. All my life I have struggled with RC and verbal.

I am wondering my chances on getting into pharmacy school. I have a B.S in microbiology with a minor in chemistry. My overall gpa was a 2.52 and a math and science gpa of 2.8.

PCAT
Composite 51%
Verbal 29%
Reading 21%
Quant 39%
Chem 80%
Bio 84%
*I am going to take it again on jan 24

I am currently about to graduate with my masters degree in Biotechnology with around a 3.8 or higher gpa.

I have good letters of recommendation along plenty of pharmacy hours. I volunteer as a biology tutor and am members of several clubs. I am also a graduate teaching assistant. I have alot of research experience and my thesis should be published when i am completed with it.

I am applying to UIW, Regis, Texas A&M, U of houston, Texas Southern

Does any one know what my chances look like.

I am wondering my chances on getting into pharmacy school. I have a B.S in microbiology with a minor in chemistry. My overall gpa was a 2.52 and a math and science gpa of 2.8.

PCAT
Composite 51%
Verbal 29%
Reading 21%
Quant 39%
Chem 80%
Bio 84%
*I am going to take it again on jan 24

I am currently about to graduate with my masters degree in Biotechnology with around a 3.8 or higher gpa.

I have good letters of recommendation along plenty of pharmacy hours. I volunteer as a biology tutor and am members of several clubs. I am also a graduate teaching assistant. I have alot of research experience and my thesis should be published when i am completed with it.

I am applying to UIW, Regis, Texas A&M, U of houston, Texas Southern

Does any one know what my chances look like.

Your overall GPA is rather low. Your chances are slim with numbers like that and do not meet minimum requirements in some cases, depending on the school.

As like everyone else, I am getting nervous about my admissions process. I am afraid that the out-of-state schools will be very difficult to get in to.

I am going to have a BS in Biology by May from the University of Michigan

I am from Indiana, so Purdue is in-state.

Please give me your feedback

a. Schools you are applying to
University of Michigan, Purdue University, University of Washington, University of Utah, University of Colorado

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
97th composite

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
Worked one summer in a retail pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
November 25th for all but UW, UW supplemental was on Jan 5th (the deadline...)

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
One From Intro Bio/Microbio lab professor
One From head pharmacist at KMart
One from current employer at catering service (was a great letter)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Volunteer one year at the University of Michigan Hospital
Volunteered at a reuse center-people bring "trash", we re-sell and give money to charities
Worked as Organic Chem Study Group Leader
Worked Roofing two summers
Work at a catering service right now

j. Self-perception of interview skills
pretty confident, but need to look up what to expect question-wise

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
I am confident the statement is error-free and has some flow to it; I consulted many people before submitting it

Thanks everyone; this post has been very helpful

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=215550cschellh, your PCAT score might be a bit on the low side. Your GPA is pretty strong and the rest of your app sounds good so I think you could get in. You didn't include anything about your PS or interview skills so those could also help.

RWC08, I definitely agree your Navy experience will help your application out as well as getting some pharm experience. I'm a little confused, is your current GPA 3.56 or 3.14? Like you said schools that don't use the PCAT are typically less forgiving about a lower GPA and those Fs, I, and Ws don't help. I say you should try applying and see what happens while working towards your degree. You could also talk with the schools you are thinking about applying to. Some will tell you if they think you would be competitive or not and maybe give you some tips about what they are looking for. You might also want to consider taking the PCAT if you find yourself having a hard time getting in.

nas2011, obviously a superb GPA. The rest of your app sounds decent and like you did all the right things. You might want to practice your interview skills just to help you out. As you said, that PCAT score isn't good so hopefully your next score will be better. People do get in with lower PCAT scores than that, so I wouldn't count yourself out because of your good GPA. You can always work towards a degree or apply to non-PCAT schools if you don't get in this round.

TSU07, I agree both your GPA and PCAT are way low and not competitive IMO. Getting a very strong PCAT helps when you have a low GPA, so hopefully the January PCAT is good to you. Having degrees also helps a bit, but schools typically place more emphasis on pre-req grades over a good graduate GPA. Your ECs sound good. A strong PS and interview will also help if you have those. My suggestion is to really get a killer score on the PCAT and consider retaking pre-reqs you did bad in. Like I said above, contact the schools you are applying to because each school considers different aspects and can give you tips.

Road, I don't think you should have a problem getting in somewhere. You PCAT is awesome, your GPA is strong, and the rest of your app sounds great.

RWC08, a 3.14 including 3 F's is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty impressive in fact. For you to get in without a degree, I would say you need a minimum 3.5 in all your pre-reqs and other courses, and ideally 3.7+. Since you aren't taking the PCAT, you will be measured by grades first and everything second. The fact that you're in the Navy should really help your application. Best of luck.

nas2011, your only flaw is your PCAT scores other than Bio & Chem. Your composite is average, but your GPA should be enough to compensate. You shouldn't have a problem getting an interview.

TSU07, you have a very difficult path ahead of you. With a 2.52cum GPA, a 2.8 math/sci GPA and those PCAT scores, your chances are low, especially considering you've applied to mainly schools in Texas. The fact that you're graduating with a masters (& 3.8 GPA) should help you, as well as your intangibles (pharmacy experience, volunteer work, etc), but I would be prepared for a few rejections at least. I'm not trying to put you down, but you have an uphill battle. If you don't get in this year, I would look at schools that cater to your strengths and don't focus on your weaknesses. While your cum GPA is hard to improve on, if you smoke the PCAT, you'll have a much better chance. Good luck. I was in a similar situation gradewise and I know how hard I had to work to get accepted.

RoadLeadsWest, you're a solid candidate and should hear from several of those schools (at least).

Thank you for the suggestions. My GPA is 3.14 assuming that the 3 F's I have from Fall of '99 count towards my Pharmcas GPA. I've repeated all 3 F's with the equivelent classes at my local community college (a different school than in '99), but from what I've read on the Pharmcas website they count all grades regardless of whether they were repeated with a higher grade or not.

I went to school during Fall of '99 and took 4 classes for a total of 12 units. I joined the Navy halfway through the semester and for some reason didn't think it was important enough to formally drop the classes. Luckily one professor gave me an 'I' or my GPA would be even lower. I'm going to try to write the school and tell them my situation and that I was an idiot when I was 17 for not dropping the classes and hope that they can change all the grades to I's. I'm not holding my breath though!

I was just saying that my GPA since returning to school is 3.56. I'm hoping that the admissions committee will only look at my grades and GPA after that semester almost ten years ago. Hopefully they will be rational enough to realize that the 17 year old idiot that didn't drop those classes was a totally different person than I am now after being in the Navy for almost a decade.

thanks for the advice kismet. how did the interview go if you don't mind me asking? and no i'm not sure how to access the sup application even though i swear i've been on their website a million times in the last few months. what did you do differently between the first and second time you applied to improve your chances? any hints greatly appreciated. do you mind sharing your stats btw? thanks in advance!

thanks for the advice kismet. how did the interview go if you don't mind me asking? and no i'm not sure how to access the sup application even though i swear i've been on their website a million times in the last few months. what did you do differently between the first and second time you applied to improve your chances? any hints greatly appreciated. do you mind sharing your stats btw? thanks in advance!

I thought I'd accessed the UOP supplemental outside of the application period before but I must have been wrong, sorry. PM'd you about your questions though!

I am only applying to one school, Creighton University - Distance Pathway as I have a family that consists of three kids that I can't even imagine how hard it would be if we relocated since we have such a strong support system here that we will definitely need once I am in a program so vigorous as the Pharm. D program.

My overall GPA at the school that I go to right now lists my GPA as a 3.26 with credits transferred from the community college that I attended a while back. However, my pharmcas overall GPA is a bit different...2.89 (yuck!) because they include everything that you have ever taken even if it doesn't apply to the program.

My GPA for that last 3 years has averaged 3.5+..

I am gonna be taking the January 24th exam. I was scheduled to take the October exam but when I got my admission ticket they put me in a location that was 600 miles away and at the time I was 1 week from my due date to deliver my third child so I could not take it. I have taken the PCAT before, a long long time ago, and I didn't do very well plus it was before 2005 so it wouldn't of counted anyways so that is why I am retaking it.
I am praying everyday that the scores, whether I do okay or not, arrive in tome for them to consider my application.

I submitted my pharmcas application in October and I am currently working on my supplemental to hopefully have it done this week.

I have 3 strong LOR's 2 from previous professors and 1 from a DOP that I used to work for. I could get more but I picked the three strongest due to the limit.

I haven't had as much time as I wanted to volunteer as I have been super busy with my full-time IT position (to help save for when I do, if I do, get accepted to Pharmacy school so I can quit my job completely to focus), my very PT tech position (used to be FT lead tech but quit for a higher paying job but stayed on as a regular tech to keep up with experience), school, and the kids and their extra-curricular activities. Every summer I try to put in at least 5-8 hours per week in the PT department and help out at the hospital that I work for. It's not a lot of hours but I try.

I have been a technician for 5 years now. I have worked as a technician at a pharmaceutical company, retail, and hospital pharmacy. I was the lead technician at the hospital that I worked for until I left there full-time to work for another company (mostly IT stuff) due to an offer in pay I could not decline but stayed on PT for the experience.

I think I have written a pretty good personal statement. I have definitely had flaws in my academics as I have been challenged at times with unfortunate situations so I made sure that I included that to try to make the adcom really look past the academics (more so the older ones) as I have since made good choices and come backs in life as I show with my more recent school work and I have never been more determined than I am now to be a pharmacist.

Ok...with that being said...what do you think my chances are?!!?

I'm planning to apply for 2010 when PharmCAS opens this summer. Just a few prereqs left to take/retake.

My GPA is probably my weakest part, going to hover around 3.0, maybe slightly less.

I'll have a BS in Biology with a minor in History by the time I would matriculate.

PCAT composite of 96. :thumbup:

Three LORs:
One from my boss, a pharmacist, pharmacy manager at Walgreens
One from a History professor, head of the History department
One from a science professor, whom I have taken 3 classes with.

ECs
Certified Pharm Tech working for Walgreens for ~9 months
Volunteer at Hospital pharmacy ~18 months, ~200+ hours
Volunteer at clothing exchange/soup kitchen 24+ months, ~300+ hours

Going to apply to University of Minnesota, Nova, LECOM, Mercer, UH Hilo, and basically anywhere else my PCAT will be looked at.

I'm planning to apply for 2010 when PharmCAS opens this summer. Just a few prereqs left to take/retake.

My GPA is probably my weakest part, going to hover around 3.0, maybe slightly less.

I'll have a BS in Biology with a minor in History by the time I would matriculate.

PCAT composite of 96. :thumbup:

Three LORs:
One from my boss, a pharmacist, pharmacy manager at Walgreens
One from a History professor, head of the History department
One from a science professor, whom I have taken 3 classes with.

ECs
Certified Pharm Tech working for Walgreens for ~9 months
Volunteer at Hospital pharmacy ~18 months, ~200+ hours
Volunteer at clothing exchange/soup kitchen 24+ months, ~300+ hours

Going to apply to University of Minnesota, Nova, LECOM, Mercer, UH Hilo, and basically anywhere else my PCAT will be looked at.

You have a very well rounded application and thats good. Apply to schools that focus less on GPA and more on the overall package (the University of MN is one of them). 2nd with all the other good stuff I'd focus on raising your GPA even if it means getting rid of the volunteering and cutting back at your job. IMO you really need that above 3.0 and most schools require it. Your PCAT is amazing. As for your letters of reference I'd cut out the history prof and use a volunteer coordinator from one of the places you volunteered - you want 3 letters from different areas of your life. Many school require an LOR from a science prof so I'd keep him and your PM at walgreens is good too. Another thing you could do if your looking for a boost is get involved in school activities and show leadership. Overall you'll very likely get in to school if you keep that GPA above 3.0. Hope that helps.

I am only applying to one school, Creighton University - Distance Pathway as I have a family that consists of three kids that I can't even imagine how hard it would be if we relocated since we have such a strong support system here that we will definitely need once I am in a program so vigorous as the Pharm. D program.

My overall GPA at the school that I go to right now lists my GPA as a 3.26 with credits transferred from the community college that I attended a while back. However, my pharmcas overall GPA is a bit different...2.89 (yuck!) because they include everything that you have ever taken even if it doesn't apply to the program.

My GPA for that last 3 years has averaged 3.5+..

I am gonna be taking the January 24th exam. I was scheduled to take the October exam but when I got my admission ticket they put me in a location that was 600 miles away and at the time I was 1 week from my due date to deliver my third child so I could not take it. I have taken the PCAT before, a long long time ago, and I didn't do very well plus it was before 2005 so it wouldn't of counted anyways so that is why I am retaking it.
I am praying everyday that the scores, whether I do okay or not, arrive in tome for them to consider my application.

I submitted my pharmcas application in October and I am currently working on my supplemental to hopefully have it done this week.

I have 3 strong LOR's 2 from previous professors and 1 from a DOP that I used to work for. I could get more but I picked the three strongest due to the limit.

I haven't had as much time as I wanted to volunteer as I have been super busy with my full-time IT position (to help save for when I do, if I do, get accepted to Pharmacy school so I can quit my job completely to focus), my very PT tech position (used to be FT lead tech but quit for a higher paying job but stayed on as a regular tech to keep up with experience), school, and the kids and their extra-curricular activities. Every summer I try to put in at least 5-8 hours per week in the PT department and help out at the hospital that I work for. It's not a lot of hours but I try.

I have been a technician for 5 years now. I have worked as a technician at a pharmaceutical company, retail, and hospital pharmacy. I was the lead technician at the hospital that I worked for until I left there full-time to work for another company (mostly IT stuff) due to an offer in pay I could not decline but stayed on PT for the experience.

I think I have written a pretty good personal statement. I have definitely had flaws in my academics as I have been challenged at times with unfortunate situations so I made sure that I included that to try to make the adcom really look past the academics (more so the older ones) as I have since made good choices and come backs in life as I show with my more recent school work and I have never been more determined than I am now to be a pharmacist.

Ok...with that being said...what do you think my chances are?!!?

Kind of hard to tell without a pcat score. If your gpa over the last 3 years has averaged 3.5 I'm struggling to see how your pharmcas gpa would be a 2.8 unless you took 3 years at a community college with a C average(wait I re-read it now and kinda get it). Also if your applying this year many schools don't except the january pcat so you should figure that out. The schools also won't get your pcat scores until early/mid march which puts your completed app in pretty late. I know you don't want to hear this but it doesn't do you any good to lie to you. I don't think it looks great for you this year but all that means is you'll have to wait a year to strengthen your application and apply again(don't worry I had to do the same thing). I'd still try but don't feel bad if you have to wait a year. So hears what I'd do if you don't get in this year.

-Keep trying to improve your GPA (biggest restricting factor for you)
-Apply to forgiving schools (many schools let you apply if you have a gpa over 3.0 or a gpa OVER 3.2 OVER THE LAST 60 CREDITS - which you have)
-make time to volunteer (with your tech experience it doesn't need to be pharmacy related - find something your passionate about - disabled kids/blood bank/hospital etc.
-if you do bad on the Jan pcat study hard and take the june or august pcat (I got a 59 on my first try so keep trying). I studied for 3 months to do well on the August and drove 200 miles to a testing center.
-have your pharmcas app completed and submitted by Sept 2009 at the latest

your pharmacy experience is great you just need to work on volunteering, GPA, and make sure you do well on the PCAT to ofset the GPA. Hope I didn't discourage you... Work on developing a complete app and KEEP TRYING! Its all about how bad you want it. Any more questions PM me cus I doubt I'll be back on this board.

-M/S of ~3.5.

~150-200 hours of volunteer work in the community, such as meals on wheels, tutoring, and hospice work.

-30 hours of job shadowing in a hospital pharmacy, and at least 70-100 hours of volunteering in a pharmacy (local, independent)

I have ~110 credits, most of which are from a community college in the area. I will have 2 associates when I apply, at least one of them in science, if not both.

-REALLY good LOR's (manager, orgo prof, gen chem prof, math prof, maybe pharmacist after done w/ volunteering)

-deans list every semester of college (~10), transfer scholarship to wayne, 2 other scholarships also (total amount = $5700)

A year or two ago, I talked to a lady from one of my instates pharmacy schools (Ferris), and she told me it would be better for me to just complete classes at my CC, and save money, even if I had over 100 credits, bc I had a competitive edge gpa-wise. Wingate also said to just take them at a CC..?

OH! Schools applying to:
-wayne state
-ferris
-lipscomb
-belmont
-wingate
-sullivan
-hawaii
-shenandoah

--As for my interview skills, I am not too worried about this, I am a pretty good interviewer thus far in life, and I plan on being very prepared. Also, my PS should be very good.

-M/S of ~3.5.

OH! Schools applying to:
-wayne state
-ferris
-lipscomb
-belmont
-wingate
-sullivan
-hawaii
-shenandoah

--As for my interview skills, I am not too worried about this, I am a pretty good interviewer thus far in life, and I plan on being very prepared. Also, my PS should be very good.

we have pretty much the same stats...so i hope you get in somewhere=) i hope i get in somewhere too! best of luck!!:)

Hi guys...

this is a great thread. help me out a little bit... i got an interview to CA northstate, but waiting on the rest.

Western (CA), University of Southern CA, Touro (CA), Loma Linda, UOPacific (CA), California Northstate

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

Haven’t taken it

Volunteer work at a hospital pharmacy ~ 100 hours

August-ish

One from Microbiology Professor (weak)
One from pharmaceutical company manager (weak)
One from head pharmacist at a hospital (very strong)

Several humanitarian trips around the world.
Lots of leadership positions in on-campus clubs

Thanks in advance!

I hope so too! Keep me posted. Where are yo u applying?

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for your time. I'm a little nervous about posting up my stats, but I am ready and grateful for some honest critique. I found this site and thought this is such a great resource, exactly what I've been looking for in terms of advice about what my chances are and what I can possibly do to improve them.

I will be applying this summer (09) for fall 2010 acceptance. These are the schools I'm looking into. I'm certain I will apply to all the universities listed for in-state, but I'm not sure about applying to all the out of state schools listed.

IN-STATE (CA)
UCSF
UOP
Western, Ca
Touro, Ca
Cal Northstate

OUT of STATE
Howard University
University of Arizona
Mercer University
Thomas Jefferson
University of Colorado
University of North Carolina
Touro University New York
Shenodoah University
Wingate University

b. Overall GPA
2.94 Biochemistry B.S.

c. Math/Science GPA
3.1 - 3.2 (I am not sure)

I screwed up my last year as an undergrad (due to personal reasons), so my GPA from those two years is something like 2.7.

I took anatomy and physiology labs my final year, and got Fs in them. I plan on retaking anatomy lab this summer, and physiology next fall or next spring.

I am currently in a Chemistry MS program and my current GPA is a 4.0. I hope/plan to maintain this and graduate with Honors.

I plan on taking the PCATs in May. I'm aware that I'll need a really good PCAT composite score to compensate for my low GPA. I'm prepared to study really hard for it to score a 90, hopefully no lower than an 80.

-3 months volunteering at RiteAid retail pharmacy
-6 months volunterring as a PAP (patient assistance program) patient liaison, helping low income patients afford prescription drugs
-shadowed a local pharmacist for 1 month

I just moved to the new town I'm at for my graduate studies. I hope to find a pharmacist to shadow. If in the end he/she can write me a LOR, great, but I'm just looking for more experience and seeing more of the profession I hope to get into.

pending summer (June) 2009

5 total
-one from my former employer, a research PI (principal investigator) at my undergratuate univeristy

I've worked for him for about 2 years as an undergrad, then one year after I graduated. We have a good relationship and I'm pretty confident he'll write me a great LOR

-one from my current research advisor, also a reserach PI and professor in chemistry

She's a wonderful person. I will be working with her for my thesis. As long as I show her my dedication, I'm sure she will write me a great LOR.

-one from my graduate advisor for my program, also a professor of chemistry

He has been a huge help to me so far in my graduate school career. I think he would be happy to write me a great LOR.

-one from my undergraduate advisor

She has written me wonderful LOR in the past.

-one from a professor whom I took an undergraduate biochemistry lab course in

She has also written a great LOR for me in the past.

-3 years as a research assistant in a plant pathology lab
-have leadership experience through clubs as an undergrad with 100+ hours of community service
-currently working as a TA to fund part of my graduate school - I find this is a great experience in building up leadership skills
-also currently volunteering at the local library tutoring students in various subjects, and helping illiterate adults learn to read

Pretty good. As long as I'm prepared and remember to be myself, I think I will be OK.

In terms of grammar and such, as long as I start early, I should be OK. As long as I stay genuine, and find a topic that I am really passionate about, the rest usually flows naturally.

I am planning to visit a lot of the in-state universities in hopes of meeting and talking to admissions advisors. I will be visiting Touro, Western, and UOP sometime this spring.

I will be attending a pharmacy info day workshop put on by UCSF. I know that UCSF is one of the most competitive, but I'm willing to try.

UCSF is where I wish to go, because of their emphasis on research and progressive approach towards the study of pharmacy. If I could only afford to apply to one school, I would apply to UCSF knowing full well my chances of getting in are slim. Ultimately, I just want to study pharmacy and hope that some place will accept me.

Thank you once again for your help.

sopairkmingul, you have a decent chance, especially by applying early. Your GPA isn't low, just average, but you do need to improve on the F's with at least C's (and ideally A's). Do well on the PCAT (as you said, 80th percentile or better), show improvement with your grades, apply early, and I'm confident you'll hear from a few of those schools.

Thank you Storm90 for your response and advice, it is certainly encouraging to hear from someone who has been through it all.

I know everything I've set out to do is easier said than done. It will mean a lot of hard work and may take a couple of tries, but I'm prepared for all that thanks to SDN (the resources and members) giving me a better perspective of/on everything.

I'm done with applications I really just wanted to find a rough feeling about how I stack up to the schools I'm applying to in other prepharm students eyes... thanks ahead of time for any input.

a. Schools you are applying to: Texas, Txtech, TamuK
b. Overall GPA: 3.4 - 3.5
c. Math/Science GPA: most likely 3.4 ish
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.57
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 88 comp
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: working at least 24 hr/wk for the last 15 months (still working)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): well they're all done but feb 1st for UT and TamuK, and mar 1st for TTU (i think, but like i said, I'm done)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3, direct supervisor at hospital, 2 pharmacists that I work closely with on a regular basis
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: manager at mcdonalds (32-40 hr/wk) for a little over a year
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I feel like I'm pretty good at interviewing once I get passed the initial nervousness, but I feel like I need to brush up on the questions that would likely be asked.

University of Southern Nevada (I'm only applying here based on the fact that relocation is nigh impossible for me.)

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
3.91 (I got a B+ in Orgo I!! SOOO CLOSE!! part of me wishes I had gotten a solid B since maybe then I wouldn't be kicking myself repeatedly over what must be a 15-20 point difference..It's motivation for the future though!)

I am taking Orgo II this semester and Calculus during the Summer. The odds of me getting A's in these 2 classes are pretty good (scarred for life from that B+..hehehe)

I've maintained the 3.45 for the past few years. It's not higher due to some bad decision making earlier on in my academic career, so it's basically a reflection of my academic tenacity (Er, if they choose to view it in that light).

I will be doing the 5 year academic forgiveness since I have some DEMONS in my closet from before 2003. Like, demons that start with the letters D and F and a few I's. Eeeeep!! Scary!!

Haven't taken these yet, but I plan to prepare by getting some of the PCAT study guide practice test booklet situations.

*sigh* No pharmacy experience. I have and am continuing to search for shadowing opportunities, etc. This, plus the fact that I do NOT have a bachelors degree, is the main reason I've been lacking confidence in my chances of being accepted.

I will be submitting app in Sept. when the admissions process opens up again.

USN doesn't require, nor appear to accept, LOR.

I've been a corporate level/regional trainer for going on 6 years now at my job, I've been a tutor for 3 years at CSN, I've been involved in various volunteering projects, participated in CSNs honor program-have the honors notation on my transcripts for Chemistry (general). So to sum it up, I have a decent amount of leadership experience, but by golly, none of it is pharmacy related. At all. Argh!~

I interview well (in general). I have an awesome personality and am aware of how to showcase the positive aspects of myself. If I get an interview-IT'S ON!! I'm just concerned about GETTING the darn interview..heh..

I can express myself pretty well and feel confident I can write an appealing PS.

Thank you in advance to any who comment on this. I KNOW I am completely capable of excelling in the darn program, but I am so overly worried that I won't even have the opportunity to TRY that it's becoming a battle of will to STICK with this and not split off onto a different path! Something tells me that not an uncommon sentiment here though..hehe

I'm done with applications I really just wanted to find a rough feeling about how I stack up to the schools I'm applying to in other prepharm students eyes... thanks ahead of time for any input.

a. Schools you are applying to: Texas, Txtech, TamuK
b. Overall GPA: 3.4 - 3.5
c. Math/Science GPA: most likely 3.4 ish
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.57
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 88 comp
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: working at least 24 hr/wk for the last 15 months (still working)
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): well they're all done but feb 1st for UT and TamuK, and mar 1st for TTU (i think, but like i said, I'm done)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3, direct supervisor at hospital, 2 pharmacists that I work closely with on a regular basis
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: manager at mcdonalds (32-40 hr/wk) for a little over a year
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I feel like I'm pretty good at interviewing once I get passed the initial nervousness, but I feel like I need to brush up on the questions that would likely be asked.

Very good:love:. You only need to improve on your interivew skill. This can be done by practicing with friends, or anyone who has experience.

hey guys, so i screwed up a lot in college. i got mostly all C's in my math and science courses including the last two years.

touro, northstate, western, uop

b. Overall GPA
i think a 2.6 :(
c. Math/Science GPA
i think its at a 2.3 :(
i took a year off due to personal circumstances between 3rd and 4th years and worked full time while taking courses at a community college

i plan on taking the pcat this summer

ive been interning at an independent retail pharmacy for about 4 years now but I dont have my technician license

i submitted my apps at the end of october. i did it primarily to get a feel for the application process in order to apply for next year

I have one lor from the pharmacist that I have been interning for, a biology professor at school and a doctor/ex professor that i have worked for

I am currently the assistant manager at a restaurant and was a part of four different organizations during my undergrad years

I intend on re-taking math and science courses throughout this year and next and taking my pcat in the summer. i intend on applying to numerous out of state schools for next year after i take my pcat. what are my chances of getting in either now or next fall when i apply? or am i just a lost cause :(

thanks for your help!

hey guys, so i screwed up a lot in college. i got mostly all C's in my math and science courses including the last two years.

b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
i took a year off due to personal circumstances between 3rd and 4th years and worked full time while taking courses at a community college

ive been interning at an independent retail pharmacy for about 4 years now but I dont have my technician license

i submitted my apps at the end of october. i did it primarily to get a feel for the application process in order to apply for next year

I have one lor from the pharmacist that I have been interning for, a biology professor at school and a doctor/ex professor that i have worked for

I am currently the assistant manager at a restaurant and was a part of four different organizations during my undergrad years

I intend on re-taking math and science courses throughout this year and next and taking my pcat in the summer. i intend on applying to numerous out of state schools for next year after i take my pcat. what are my chances of getting in either now or next fall when i apply? or am i just a lost cause :(

thanks for your help!

I will be completely honest with your chances at getting into the schools you are currently applying to this year. Your chances are not good and not worth applying right now.

California pharmacy schools are among the most competitive schools in the nation and a sub 3.0 GPA won't get you an interview at touro, uop, western nor northstate.

Save your money and use it along with your time on retaking all your general science classes (focus on General and Organic Chemistry, Biology, microbiology, and Human Anatomy and Physiology). It is imperative you Ace all these classes because:

1) it shows you can handle pharmacy school curriculum.
2) it will boost your science GPA above a 2.5 (a minimum requirement to apply at most pharmacy schools)
3) It might bring your overall GPA closer to a 3.0
4) The knowledge learned or retained will help you tremendously on your PCAT exam.
5) It shows unbelievable determination that most people consider too great of an obstacle to overcome.

Lastly, you're definitely not a lost cause. Asking for help from others (on this forum) is one of the first steps to getting started on the right path.

:)

Last edited:

b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA

thanks for your help!

Transformer definitely has the right ideas for you: take a full load of classes and do well for at least the next year, to show the schools you can handle it. But since you did apply this year, use your resources - in the spring, after all the admissions craziness is done, a lot of schools will chat with you about your application and what you can do to become more competitive. (I know at least UOP's admissions will talk with applicants.) Take advantage of this - they'll give you the best advice.

dt88, these guys have great advice for you. I was in the same boat as you (2.62 cum GPA, math/sci pre-reqs similar), but I redid some courses and earned solid A's in the advanced science courses. I would say your chances of getting accepted to any of those schools is slim to none because it is such a competitive area. Write the PCAT and do exceptionally well on them (min. 80th percentile in everything), take a few more courses and get at least a B+ in it, if not A, and apply early. Those tips worked for me, and I got in. Also, you will need to consider out-of-state schools simply because even with those improvements, your chances are still slim. Work hard, and you can do it. Good luck!

wow thanks so much transformer, kismet and storm! do you guys recommend me getting my pharm tech license? or would that not help at all? also, to talk to the the admissions office about my application, should i just email them? or how should i go about doing this?

thank you guys so much for all your help. im definately going to work harder than i ever have. thank you!

Hey everyone, im new to this site. i just graduated with a double major in human biology and microbiology with a minor in chemistry. ive been thinking of applying to pharmacy schools, here are my stats.....cum gpa 2.98 sci gpa 3.05 ....havent taken the pcat yet...i year pharmacy shadow exp......and one year undergrad research exp....

intro to chem C-
genchem1 B (retook) C before
genchem2 C (retook) C before
ochem1 B
ochem2 A
biochem B
analytical chem B
advanced organic chem B

biology courses:
genbio1 A (retook) C before
genbio2 B
genetics C
cellbio B
microbio B
histology B
anatomy B
physiology C
molecular bio B
immunology C
foodmicrobiology B

physics courses

physics 1 B (retook) C before
physics 2 C

calculus B

Howard University 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Illinois - Chicago, University of 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Worcester 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Midwestern University - Downers Grove 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Minnesota, University of 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Purdue University 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed
print_bt.gif

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
According to Pharmcas 3.60

last year- 3.79 ... two years 3.72

Verbal Ability- 36%
Biology- 40%
Reading Comp.- 18%
Quant. Ability- 78%
Chemistry- 76
:thumbdown:Composite- 49%:scared:

100 hours pharmacy internship

12/01/08

3 LORs...
1) Biology Professor- Ferris State University
2) Organic Chemistry Professor- Ferris State University
3) Head Pharmacist for Walgreens

worked all throughout Highschool through College Career

Good Speaker, Good interpersonal and Public Speaking abilities

My Personal statement was solid

Someone please tell me what my chances are!:)

wow thanks so much transformer, kismet and storm! do you guys recommend me getting my pharm tech license? or would that not help at all? also, to talk to the the admissions office about my application, should i just email them? or how should i go about doing this?

thank you guys so much for all your help. im definately going to work harder than i ever have. thank you!

You want to make sure you do awesome in all the classes you're retaking, so that's your first priority. If you can work and do that at the same time, then getting any pharmacy experience is a plus, whether it be as a technician, a clerk, or just volunteering/shadowing. In the end, I think it's going to be what you learned during your experiences and how you communicate that in your essays and interview, not if you have a license or not or if you've worked there for 10 years or whatever. But don't do anything at the expense of your grades!

I think you could email or call the admissions office and ask if someone would be able to talk to you about your application and how you can improve and if you can make an appointment or schedule a time. Give it until April or May though, the admissions departments are busy this time of year.

Howard University 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Illinois - Chicago, University of 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Worcester 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Midwestern University - Downers Grove 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Minnesota, University of 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed Purdue University 12/01/2008 12/22/2008 Mailed
print_bt.gif

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
According to Pharmcas 3.60

last year- 3.79 ... two years 3.72

Verbal Ability- 36%
Biology- 40%
Reading Comp.- 18%
Quant. Ability- 78%
Chemistry- 76
:thumbdown:Composite- 49%:scared:

100 hours pharmacy internship

12/01/08

3 LORs...
1) Biology Professor- Ferris State University
2) Organic Chemistry Professor- Ferris State University
3) Head Pharmacist for Walgreens

worked all throughout Highschool through College Career

Good Speaker, Good interpersonal and Public Speaking abilities

My Personal statement was solid

Someone please tell me what my chances are!:)

Good GPA but your PCAT blows. I'm fairly sure it's too low for some colleges. Check your specific schools to find their minimum PCAT consideration. By the way, it looks like you need to learn to read. Practice using a dictionary or thesaurus.

dt88, +1 what kismet said. It doesn't hurt to gain experience/talk with admissions/whatever, but you need good grades first, otherwise everything is for nought.

afroasiatic, your grades are pretty solid across the board, almost straight B's. It really depends on the schools you apply to to determine your chances. I would take the PCAT to help your application (as long as you do well on them).

Just Because, your PCATs are obviously very poor. If you apply to schools that don't consider them, you should be fine, but for the schools that do, you're probably not going to make the cutoff with a 49th percentile in composite, not to mention the sub-40% in other subjects.

Yea i know my PCAT is real poor... but i did apply to Purdue and MCPHS which both dont require the PCAT.... after taking all my courses i thing that i shuold be able to do real well on my pcat this sat. two of my schools allow the Jan. PCAT... but hopefully i give a strong interview at Purdue and MCPHS... if i dont get in this year i plan to concentrate on my PCAT and get a decent score!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.