PhD/PsyD Things to "play up" in a letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychra22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two of my letter writers have agreed to write a letter but have added something along the lines of "tell me if you want me to play up anything in particular in your letter. Some information is better delivered in a rec letter than a personal statement."

It is unclear to me what exactly this information to "play up" would be. Anyone have examples of things a letter writer should highlight that might not come across in personal statement/CV? Do they mean things I'm particularly proud of? Like awards? Or do they mean specific things that would hint to a reader that I'm a good match for a particular faculty mentor? Or something else? I'd love to "coach" them, but am not sure what kind of direction they are looking for.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like they are writing for grad school application. They are asking if there are things about your training/experiences that would accentuate your fit to a specific program, or program type. Like research experience, writing ability, etc. Think about fit and how they can make that come across.

...For example, when I applied to doctoral programs, I had one recommender discuss my research skills and productivity with her grants and clinical research projects, another recommeder emphasized my clinical skills (interactions with patients, professionalism, his solid belief in me as a future clinician), and my third writer discussed how I was in graduate school, my academic work, and conference presentations (I had a masters going in). Also, all of my recommenders were clinical or experimental psychologists. And just in case one letter did not arrive on time, I had a 4th who was a surgeon (who I was a clinical research coordinator for and saw patients with as a medical assistant) but he was icing on the cake (and his letter was so thoughtful and flattering that I could not leave it out). :smuggrin: Never underestimate the power of professional relationships you make along the way...they can lead you exactly where you need to be.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CheetahGirl nailed it. Those things dont show up on a CV, and you cant tell as well during an interview because everyone has their best foot forward.

Sometimes it is also appropriate for letter writers to say things that are awkward for applicants to say. For example, a letter writer could potentially help explain (or put into context) a low GRE score, or noting how a person perservered on tasks despite family troubles, etc. Stuff that *if* someone knows you well, can sound better coming from a letter writer than the applicant.

In general, letter writers can talk about your qualities, we can use personality characteristics. Applicants should generally follow the "show, don't tell" philosophy. Letter writers can "tell." So think about what messages you want to get across, and get your letter writers to emphasize those messages. :)

Letter writers may also discuss aspects of your life/background that may not come up in a personal statement. First generation college student, if you've experienced some major life event and/or perhaps overcome adversity in an especially noteworthy fashion-things like that. Also some letter writers can convey things about you that if you brought up might raise red flags (eg think about the guy/girl who was raised by a great aunt on food stamps in a neighborhood where the applicant would have been more likely to to end up dead or in jail than graduating high school, let alone graduating from college and applying to grad school; an applicant that lost both parents to an accident while the student was in high school, college, or working in the lab; LGBT applicant that was homeless after coming out).