Time off employment options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lals

Loner/Rebel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a post-bacc. student until this past summer, which I spent studying for the August MCAT. Currently, I am teaching English & Writing as an adjunct Professor at a local college, but could use a second source of income. Naturally, I am interested in something in the health care industry but can't seem to find anything that doesn't require some form of certification or experience that I would be unable to acquire before next fall (when I hope to be matriculating). Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should look in to volunteering or Shadowing.......Finding a paid experience will be difficult and the pay would be miniscule. Also, being in a paid position will have you dealing with the minor details of your job and not actually receiving the experience you desire. Your educated and don't want to attenuate your skills or education. Volunteering at a hospital in the Emergency Room, with Oncology, Cardiac, or pediatric patients for 4-6 hours per week for one year will show a commitment as well as provide you with a wealth of experience. I am also from NY and moved to NC one year ago to pursue med school........Hope I was helpful.

Maybe you should look in to volunteering or Shadowing.......Finding a paid experience will be difficult and the pay would be miniscule. Also, being in a paid position will have you dealing with the minor details of your job and not actually receiving the experience you desire. Your educated and don't want to attenuate your skills or education. Volunteering at a hospital in the Emergency Room, with Oncology, Cardiac, or pediatric patients for 4-6 hours per week for one year will show a commitment as well as provide you with a wealth of experience. I am also from NY and moved to NC one year ago to pursue med school........Hope I was helpful.

Thing is, I'm not really looking for experience, merely a source of income with the added bonus of perhaps cementing my commitment to the health care/science field. I have volunteered and shadowed in the past, but I'd like to actually make some money to help ease the pain of paying for med. school in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that being said, and perhaps with your background you are qualified for many positions.........You can teach at a school for disabled children or teach at any adult or adolescent psychiatric program. (Long Island Jewish Hospital has a huge program for high functioning psychiatric adults/children), inpatient and outpatient. You can work in any hospital rehabilitation department(Occupational/Physical Therapy Dept) as a rehabilitative aide. Administrative assistant in a nursing home or a hospital. Head unit coordinator at any hospital, (24 hour necessity). These are to name a few...There are lots of opportunities out there for you. I currently work as an Occupational Therapist in an Acute care here in NC. Working in the hospital setting has allowed me to observe and interact with MD's who I would normally have never come across. Any one of the mentioned positions would be great for you, however if you can ease your way into a hospital, (acute, pediatrics, psych, etc); your foundation will build at an enormous rate..............Keep me posted :)

If you just need money I was looking at a job for unit secretary or somthing of the like. Its not medical experience but I've found quite a few of the hospitals had openings in my area (and various shifts). Unfortunately I don't have the time to work at the moment. Lashaeot had some great ideas.

With that being said, and perhaps with your background you are qualified for many positions.........You can teach at a school for disabled children or teach at any adult or adolescent psychiatric program. (Long Island Jewish Hospital has a huge program for high functioning psychiatric adults/children), inpatient and outpatient. You can work in any hospital rehabilitation department(Occupational/Physical Therapy Dept) as a rehabilitative aide. Administrative assistant in a nursing home or a hospital. Head unit coordinator at any hospital, (24 hour necessity). These are to name a few...There are lots of opportunities out there for you. I currently work as an Occupational Therapist in an Acute care here in NC. Working in the hospital setting has allowed me to observe and interact with MD's who I would normally have never come across. Any one of the mentioned positions would be great for you, however if you can ease your way into a hospital, (acute, pediatrics, psych, etc); your foundation will build at an enormous rate..............Keep me posted :)

Sounds promising. I'll be looking into those programs, thanks.

I was a post-bacc. student until this past summer, which I spent studying for the August MCAT. Currently, I am teaching English & Writing as an adjunct Professor at a local college, but could use a second source of income. Naturally, I am interested in something in the health care industry but can't seem to find anything that doesn't require some form of certification or experience that I would be unable to acquire before next fall (when I hope to be matriculating). Any ideas?
Become a lab monkey. No thinking involved, and if you've done a post-bacc or some science degree you're qualified. Better than minimum wage and it's a simple 9 to 5.

Lab monkey = lab tech or assistant

I tried to apply all sorts of basic level jobs at hospital, but I've never got any reply from them. Do they consider me as too qualified? or not be able to commit for long run? I don't know. I am still hanging on there, not get anything. The only thing I have not yet tried is the home aide, many places offer free training, I am not sure if they will take me though:-(

YOu just got to hound those employers (call two weeks after you turn in your app if you don't hear anything) and try all of your contacs. Maybe something at your alma mater. Do any of your old profs know anyone who needs a tech?

i've sent in COUNTLESS applicatins to the human resource dept.

human resource=black hole.
online job postings (like careerbuilder)=black hole

from my own experience. maybe i'm just not qualified? i applied for some jobs i'm overly qualified for (ie. those requiring just high school GED) and still no response.

i've sent in COUNTLESS applicatins to the human resource dept.

human resource=black hole.
online job postings (like careerbuilder)=black hole

from my own experience. maybe i'm just not qualified? i applied for some jobs i'm overly qualified for (ie. those requiring just high school GED) and still no response.

I am 200% with you!