*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) so for 'grad school' or 'undergrad' research in general this is easy, but how would you do that for publications? how do you guesstimate when work for the pub began (since you're working on various things at once), or should i likely just use again all of grad school or all of my undergrad research time?

2) i listed the ones i attended and presented/had a poster under 'conf attended' and put the ones i had pubs/posters for but DIDNT attend under presentations/posters... so i guess i should put everything under the pres/posters umbrella then?
1) Just put the date the publication was accepted, and leave the date span empty for Publications. In the narrative after the citation, you can refer to the Research activity you listed for details. You would never want to double list hours.

2) Yes.

Members don't see this ad.

So I did some research over the summer that I got paid for. But I continued working in the lab during the semester that I got credit for. How do I enter this in AMCAS?

1) Just put the date the publication was accepted, and leave the date span empty for Publications. In the narrative after the citation, you can refer to the Research activity you listed for details. You would never want to double list hours.

2) Yes.

so for all publications/conference presentation work (no date span), as well as research (with date span), if i just put 40hours/week (while i was doing it, it was full time?) that's not misleading, i assume, is it? (or rather i would use 33hrs/week, my full grad school averaged time)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I did some research over the summer that I got paid for. But I continued working in the lab during the semester that I got credit for. How do I enter this in AMCAS?
Enter it as volunteer research, but note in the description that you got paid for your work over the summer.

Well, there is technically only a 'research' category which doesn't specify paid vs unpaid. So I would enter it as research/lab. Then in the description, as rhino said, specify that you were paid in the summer and received credit during the year.

Enter it as volunteer research, but note in the description that you got paid for your work over the summer.

Well, there is technically only a 'research' category which doesn't specify paid vs unpaid. So I would enter it as research/lab. Then in the description, as rhino said, specify that you were paid in the summer and received credit during the year.

Merging related threads

ahhh, forgot what the categories were. Thanks for the correction :thumbup:

List it under Research, giving the full date span, and in the narrative give the dates of employment and the second date span where the work was class related.

so for all publications/conference presentation work (no date span), as well as research (with date span), if i just put 40hours/week (while i was doing it, it was full time?) that's not misleading, i assume, is it? (or rather i would use 33hrs/week, my full grad school averaged time)
I would not put hours per week for either Publication or Posters/Presentations. Rather, include all research related hours/week in the Research listing alone. Sure you could break it down into separate hours for each activity, but you'd be guessing. I think it's easier to appreciate the time involved when all the time accounting is kept together.

If you have the space, put them into two separate spots. If you don't, list the date span for just one, then mention the other with it's own information in the narrative.

Thanks cat!

One other question:
I have another 10 week research internship coming up this summer at a top 5 research med school. My application is nice and strong in research, but it has to be because I'm applying for MD/PhD.
I would like to have this upcoming research listed on my application, but I dont want to wait until later in the summer to put the application in. Is it appropriate to include an EC for work that will be done but has not been done yet? Would it be better to just leave it off for now and mention it in secondaries?

I appreciate the help!

Similar question...what if you've tutored for a couple years as a volunteer, but for the last 6 months have tutored at the academic enrichment center at your school for pay. I'm guessing I would put my supervisor as the contact, but what would I put for the dates? I don't want to just put the last 6 months because I have been doing it for years, but I also don't want to be misleading and suggest that I've been working at the academic enrichment center for longer than I have.

I'd list one of the most recent tutees (or a parent, if you've tutored younger persons).

i'm sure i have seen this answered in another thread, but i can't find it with the search, and if it was answered in here, i apologize. i really did just go through it all :oops:

i have tutored on and off for a couple of years, never under anyone's supervision, and never for money. i would like to write about the experience. who should i put as the contact? myself? thanks!

So question...I participated in a research fellowship that PAID me during two summers, but gave me academic CREDIT during two semesters. I'm thinking I should put it under research experience, but would it be bad to duplicate it under Work Experience - Nonmilitary? I want them to realize both the academic and professional components of the experience.:confused:

If you are asked on the AMCAS application to put references for extracurriculars, do you really need to include one for say, a dance class? I personally dont even know whether to give the instructor's cell phone no., or the gym's no. Do they really call these? I would imagine they'd call more important references if any, like your PI?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are asked on the AMCAS application to put references for extracurriculars, do you really need to include one for say, a dance class? I personally dont even know whether to give the instructor's cell phone no., or the gym's no. Do they really call these? I would imagine they'd call more important references if any, like your PI?
Thanks
Give either number, though the teacher would be the better choice. They are unlikely to call, but some schools do check these things out, so best to be thorough.

Thanks

Give either number, though the teacher would be the better choice. They are unlikely to call, but some schools do check these things out, so best to be thorough.

Merging with work/activities thread

if you have an accepted publication, but no date of publication is known yet, what do you fill out for "pub date"? (its a required field!)

I would not put hours per week for either Publication or Posters/Presentations. Rather, include all research related hours/week in the Research listing alone. Sure you could break it down into separate hours for each activity, but you'd be guessing. I think it's easier to appreciate the time involved when all the time accounting is kept together.

well that makes sense. i have the "must fill out every blank" problem i guess.. didn't occur to me that i could do that.

thank you!

I have another 10 week research internship coming up this summer at a top 5 research med school. My application is nice and strong in research, but it has to be because I'm applying for MD/PhD.
I would like to have this upcoming research listed on my application, but I dont want to wait until later in the summer to put the application in. Is it appropriate to include an EC for work that will be done but has not been done yet? Would it be better to just leave it off for now and mention it in secondaries?
It would not be appropriate to include an activity in the Experiences section that has not yet begun, as the system won't accept a future date beyond the current month. However, you could mention that you have been accepted to an internship for that purpose (since it's a done deal) at the end of the PS or in a Secondary essay that asks about future plans. Future update letters can advise schools of the progress of that activity.

Similar question...what if you've tutored for a couple years as a volunteer, but for the last 6 months have tutored at the academic enrichment center at your school for pay. I'm guessing I would put my supervisor as the contact, but what would I put for the dates? I don't want to just put the last 6 months because I have been doing it for years, but I also don't want to be misleading and suggest that I've been working at the academic enrichment center for longer than I have.
List it under Teaching/Tutoring, name it Tutor in XXXXX (subjects), put the university as the location (rather than the enrichment center, since it covers both positions), put the full date span encompassing both activities and average hours/week over the entire span. I'd assume that your supervisor knows of the previous activity and can vouch for both, so it's OK to use her as a contact. Make it clear in the narrative that it was a volunteer position until x/xx/xxxx and then became paid employment.

So question...I participated in a research fellowship that PAID me during two summers, but gave me academic CREDIT during two semesters. I'm thinking I should put it under research experience, but would it be bad to duplicate it under Work Experience - Nonmilitary? I want them to realize both the academic and professional components of the experience.:confused:
Yes, it would be incorrect to duplicate the same activity. List everything under Research and make the two components clear in the narrative (which will work best if the time was all contiguous). Or, split it into two activities, one under Research and one under Employment, with their different date spans and hours/week listed as appropriate in each space.

if you have an accepted publication, but no date of publication is known yet, what do you fill out for "pub date"? (its a required field!)
An SDNer called AMCAS about this last year and was told it is acceptable to put the date of acceptance in the space rather than the date of publication. In the space you would then give the full citation, but if the exact issue or page numbers aren't known, say "in press." This would not apply, BTW, to an article that was accepted provisionally, pending revisions.

Ahh...you are the best Catalystik!:)

One more question...would I list it under volunteer or paid employment?

List it under Teaching/Tutoring, name it Tutor in XXXXX (subjects), put the university as the location (rather than the enrichment center, since it covers both positions), put the full date span encompassing both activities and average hours/week over the entire span. I'd assume that your supervisor knows of the previous activity and can vouch for both, so it's OK to use her as a contact. Make it clear in the narrative that it was a volunteer position until x/xx/xxxx and then became paid employment.

Last edited:
Tremendously helpful thread! I have a few more questions...

1. For certain hobbies/extracurricular activities (ex. yoga, homebrewing, photography) would it be okay to list yourself as the contact? It seems like there are activities where you aren't really working with an organization, supervisor, or even other people and a contact beyond yourself doesn't make sense.

2. For an activity that you have done for a long time, like stamp collecting since you were 12, would you go that far back in the date range? Or is it best to just start with when you entered college.

3. Is it necessary to give full citations for abstracts and scientific posters? This seems very character heavy, any ideas for condensing?

Tremendously helpful thread! I have a few more questions...

1. For certain hobbies/extracurricular activities (ex. yoga, homebrewing, photography) would it be okay to list yourself as the contact? It seems like there are activities where you aren't really working with an organization, supervisor, or even other people and a contact beyond yourself doesn't make sense.

2. For an activity that you have done for a long time, like stamp collecting since you were 12, would you go that far back in the date range? Or is it best to just start with when you entered college.

3. Is it necessary to give full citations for abstracts and scientific posters? This seems very character heavy, any ideas for condensing?

1) Yes

2) I would put the original start date as long as you continued to do the activity significantly through college. In other words, I wouldn't list something that you stopped doing after freshman/sophomore year.

3) I would use full citations. I know it sucks up the characters, but try and make it work.

AMCAS asks for the state and city in which your activity was held - what if your activity (ie. doing relay for life in high school, and continuing it in college) is in two different cities/states? Go with the first city? Go with the city in which you did the most work with the organization? Go with the city in which the national office/headquarters of the group is held?

Is it acceptable/worth anything to put down publications that have been submitted but not yet accepted on AMCAS? Of course, it would be clearly labeled as submitted, not yet accepted, so as to not appear dishonest.

1) AMCAS asks for the state and city in which your activity was held - what if your activity (ie. doing relay for life in high school, and continuing it in college) is in two different cities/states? Go with the first city? Go with the city in which you did the most work with the organization? Go with the city in which the national office/headquarters of the group is held?

2) Is it acceptable/worth anything to put down publications that have been submitted but not yet accepted on AMCAS? Of course, it would be clearly labeled as submitted, not yet accepted, so as to not appear dishonest.
1) The last option covers the territory nicely, but I'd probably put in the most recent city anyway. You'll be relating the HS involvement in the narrative anyway.

2) It's pretty worthless to mention a submitted manuscript, but tell about it at the end of the Research narrative if you like. Don't try to put it under the Publications listing. Better to send in an update when it gets accepted.

1) The last option covers the territory nicely, but I'd probably put in the most recent city anyway. You'll be relating the HS involvement in the narrative anyway.

2) It's pretty worthless to mention a submitted manuscript, but tell about it at the end of the Research narrative if you like. Don't try to put it under the Publications listing. Better to send in an update when it gets accepted.

Good morning (and thank you) Catalystik. I'm thinking of doing the following:

Instead of listing all the posters I've been a non-first author on, and making a listing for un-published future pubs, I will group them into one category (Additional Poster Presentations and Submitted Papers).

Which of the following categories would you list this under?
1) Research/Lab (the most general, works great because this is a broad activity)
2) Publications (possible to use because I am talking about different types of publications - posters and papers. would have to doubly stress lack of publishing of the submitted papers)
3)Presentations/Posters (possible because I'm witing the citation for two posters here, and then the papers)

I'm leaning toward "research" since it's the most general

side note: While writing this post I realized how much you've helped me as I have continued to update my WAMC, change plans, etc. I will be sure to thank you and the other couple SDN members who have helped me immensely, in addition to the 'real life' advisors in my life, if/when I am accepted this cycle. Thanks!

A further question:

I took a two credit course in grad school aptly titled "Research Rotation".

Even thought it was for a class, research experience is research experience, so I wrote down my duties, etc. on my CV under the research heading.

But what about for AMCAS? I've reported the grade for the class, so perhaps it would be double dipping to count it as a work/activity as well? Or should I write it down to describe the research I performed and not just have it as a 2-credit bullet out of 150 school credits

Instead of listing all the posters I've been a non-first author on, and making a listing for un-published future pubs, I will group them into one category (Additional Poster Presentations and Submitted Papers).

Which of the following categories would you list this under?
1) Research/Lab (the most general, works great because this is a broad activity)
2) Publications (possible to use because I am talking about different types of publications - posters and papers. would have to doubly stress lack of publishing of the submitted papers)
3)Presentations/Posters (possible because I'm witing the citation for two posters here, and then the papers)

I'm leaning toward "research" since it's the most general
I would list additional posters and presentations under Poster/Presentation. You could mention after each of the above a related paper that was submitted (if you feel compelled to mention it at all). If it was not related, don't put it there.

I took a two credit course in grad school aptly titled "Research Rotation".

Even thought it was for a class, research experience is research experience, so I wrote down my duties, etc. on my CV under the research heading.

But what about for AMCAS? I've reported the grade for the class, so perhaps it would be double dipping to count it as a work/activity as well? Or should I write it down to describe the research I performed and not just have it as a 2-credit bullet out of 150 school credits
It would be fine to list it as Research even though you received class credit.

What is the consensus on listing contacts for hobbies? Listing yourself doesn't seem like the best option. I guess I could list a contact from a very long time ago, and hope that no one will call to check, and if they did that the person would remember me, but this doesn't seem like the best option either.

What is the consensus on listing contacts for hobbies? Listing yourself doesn't seem like the best option. I guess I could list a contact from a very long time ago, and hope that no one will call to check, and if they did that the person would remember me, but this doesn't seem like the best option either.

I think Catalystik's response below is probably the best response you'll get in terms of better options.

If the new AMCAS application requires a contact for Hobbies, list a peer. Or pick one hobby or sport that does have an organizer or organization sponsoring it, listing that one first, with others less documented in the same space.

I'm applying this cycle, but I haven't shadowed yet. However, I will begin shadowing this summer (starting June) at a medical school nearby. Should I put this on the Work/Activities or on an update letter ?

i'm not quite sure i understand how to go about grouping similar activities together.

for example, i have had multiple different health-related volunteer experiences. i could group them all under volunteer. however, you only get one data field to enter supervisor/contact info etc. etc. where would you enter the required information for the other volunteer activities?

I've heard more than one adcom recommend grouping similar activities. Keep in mind that this year the character limit is lower for each activity than it was last year. You can read a little more about the specifics here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620

http://depts.washington.edu/prehlth/?p=118

I'm applying this cycle, but I haven't shadowed yet. However, I will begin shadowing this summer (starting June) at a medical school nearby. Should I put this on the Work/Activities or on an update letter ?

Since you haven't started yet, you would not be able to speak meaningfully about it in the work/activities section. Further, I don't believe the system allows you to enter future dates for the start of the activity. I would recommend including it as an update, as you suggested.

i'm not quite sure i understand how to go about grouping similar activities together.

for example, i have had multiple different health-related volunteer experiences. i could group them all under volunteer. however, you only get one data field to enter supervisor/contact info etc. etc. where would you enter the required information for the other volunteer activities?

You would enter the information in the description block for the activity.

I was self empoyed for 2 summers washing peoples windows and I'm wondering if I should put myself as the contact for this achtivity or whether I should put a friend or customer who can vouch for me. What is the best option?

I was self empoyed for 2 summers washing peoples windows and I'm wondering if I should put myself as the contact for this achtivity or whether I should put a friend or customer who can vouch for me. What is the best option?

For any activity, prefer others before yourself.

wow, if you put more than 1 item in a slot and list the activity, date range, and contact for each, anyone else finding there's almost no room to say anything? i watched some video someone here posted from a dean of admissions talking about how we shouldnt just put what we did, but say something deep about what we learned or why it's important... but man.. anyone else finding this for slots that aren't designated 'most important'? are these other slots supposed to just be more listy?

1.) I don't know if this has been addressed already but do we have to list 3 significant experiences or can we just select 1 or 2?

2.) I have been published in a searchable journal, and I'm wondering if I should use 2 entries: one for describing my research in the lab in general and one for the publication and my role with that...or should I just lump both of them into one activity under publications?

3) I'm worried that the longer "significant experience" essays will overlap a little with some of what I'm writing in my PS. Is this taboo? If there is something that I'm basing a lot of my PS on (one of my shadowing experiences), should I just skip marking it as a significant experience?

4) i know this has been discussed a little, but for the shadowing experiences--should i just list the the hours, name, date etc. of the docs shadowed, and leave it at that? or do i need to describe the experiences?

5) Should I list awards such as academic scholarships received/dean's list/poetry awards?

1.) I don't know if this has been addressed already but do we have to list 3 significant experiences or can we just select 1 or 2?

2.) I have been published in a searchable journal, and I'm wondering if I should use 2 entries: one for describing my research in the lab in general and one for the publication and my role with that...or should I just lump both of them into one activity under publications?

3) I'm worried that the longer "significant experience" essays will overlap a little with some of what I'm writing in my PS. Is this taboo? If there is something that I'm basing a lot of my PS on (one of my shadowing experiences), should I just skip marking it as a significant experience?

4) i know this has been discussed a little, but for the shadowing experiences--should i just list the the hours, name, date etc. of the docs shadowed, and leave it at that? or do i need to describe the experiences?

5) Should I list awards such as academic scholarships received/dean's list/poetry awards?
1) You are obliged to list at least one.

2) You should use two spaces: Research and Publications.

3) Ideally there would little overlap between the PS and an activity description as you don't want to waste space duplicating information. If the PS depends on a lot of narrative about a given shadowing experience, I'd say it's reasonable not to mark it as "significant" in the Experiences section unless you have a great deal more info you want to include.

4) Adcomms know what shadowing experience with each specialty entail. There is no need to describe it in detail.

5) I suggest putting all awards, honors, and scholarships in a single space. If you need to prune to make it fit, only list the most interesting. For example: Everyone is on the deans list, and your academic excellence is already clear from your transcript, so it isn't necessary to include this. But not many applicants get an award for their poetry.

1) You are obliged to list at least one.

5) I suggest putting all awards, honors, and scholarships in a single space. If you need to prune to make it fit, only list the most interesting. For example: Everyone is on the deans list, and your academic excellence is already clear from your transcript, so it isn't necessary to include this. But not many applicants get an award for their poetry.

So should I explain what the poetry award is, or just write the name of the award--I mean it seems pretty self-explanatory from the name. Also I have received a few endowed scholarships which are merit-based, but not anything I applied for, I was just randomly selected. Should I list those?

So should I explain what the poetry award is, or just write the name of the award--I mean it seems pretty self-explanatory from the name.

Also I have received a few endowed scholarships which are merit-based, but not anything I applied for, I was just randomly selected. Should I list those?
You might mention the size of the pool of competitors to put things in perspective for adcomms.

Small scholarships are not worth mentioning. $3000+ might be worth specifying.

is there an order i need to enter in the activities, or will amcas up it in chronological order for me?

is there an order i need to enter in the activities, or will amcas up it in chronological order for me?
A question easily answered from the AMCAS instruction manual. It's even printed in red to make it stand out in the instruction manual.
Work and activities will appear on your application in chronological order and cannot be rearranged. Medical schools will be able to sort your activities in any order they choose to view them.

A question easily answered from the AMCAS instruction manual. It's even printed in red to make it stand out in the instruction manual.

thanks. cant believe i missed that haha

i did web site design for a LONG time, and have a portfolio and all online. would it be ok to just refer to this?

Since you haven't started yet, you would not be able to speak meaningfully about it in the work/activities section. Further, I don't believe the system allows you to enter future dates for the start of the activity. I would recommend including it as an update, as you suggested.

You would enter the information in the description block for the activity.

Yeah, I wanted to make a separate entry for my fitness/WL stuff on AMCAS like NickNaylor did, but it does seem weird putting a contact down for it (even though my Tough Mudder teammate LOLd he totally agreed to it).

I should just attach before/after pics. Not even photochop could save my before pics. :laugh:

:oops:

Do you include the year of initiation when listing PBK honor?

Status
Not open for further replies.