*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am applying for the 2012 cycle but I was wondering if it would be okay to put my planned activities. For example, I will be going to Spain March 2012 to teach english. I know we have a limit of 15 but I have space so I was wondering if it would be okay to add it with a note saying that I will be doing it in the future.

Or should I just save it for (hopefully) interviews?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying for the 2012 cycle but I was wondering if it would be okay to put my planned activities. For example, I will be going to Spain March 2012 to teach english. I know we have a limit of 15 but I have space so I was wondering if it would be okay to add it with a note saying that I will be doing it in the future.

Or should I just save it for (hopefully) interviews?
The Experiences section won't allow you to enter a future date. However, some Secondary essays do ask about future plans, and interview conversations may cover that territory as well.

Yes, and if you have the space include the criteria which vary from chapter to chapter, and depending on whether you're nominated as a junior or senior.
Hmm, I was actually nominated as a sophomore by meeting all the selection criteria. How rare is my case and should I worry about it because some adcoms may think it was an obvious error that I failed to correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I was actually nominated as a sophomore by meeting all the selection criteria. How rare is my case and should I worry about it because some adcoms may think it was an obvious error that I failed to correct?

I have the same issue. I actually thought it was a mistake because I was the only sophomore in the ceremony, but it happened because my credits made me look like a junior/senior. How should I list it?

I have multiple experiences for each EC category and I am not sure how to "combine" them (I.E. different time frames) or if I should list them at all?

Do I just put the beginning start date from research #1 and ending date of research #2 and try to explain they were separate in the description?

Do I just list one contact person, or multiple? Same goes for places and titles.

The following is what I have:

Research
-Weill Cornell Medical College Traveler's program (Summer)

-Another Research Institution (Summer)

Total: 6 months

Job Shadowing
-Dr. K (~300 hrs)

-Dr. T (~10 hrs or two surgery's while I was home on break)

-LP Clinic (~75 hrs: urgent care and IM)

-Hospital Peds ER (~350 hrs multiple MD's, surgeons, residents, and P.A.'s)

-Hospital Surgery (~100 hrs in: neuro, cardio, general, general peds, and ortho)

-Hospital Med/Surg (~700 night care taker for a family member -- would this count?)

-TCH (~9 hrs in congenital heart surgery, traveled to Texas to watch since I have a strong interest)

-NYPH (cardiac rounds ~20 hrs)

-Physical Therapy (~300 hrs with a PTA with sports related and an additional ~200 hrs in cardiac PT due to my mother participating after cardiac surgery)

Total: ~2,064 ALSO: I have a LOR coming from a MD (FP) that I job shadow randomly when I'm home. Should I include these hours? There are completely random trips to the hospital or if I'm at his clinic when a patient is there, I will go in and shadow.

Leadership
-ACS (Publicity Chair - one year)

-Medical Donations Coord (For multiple free clinics for multiple times, wouldn't consider an accurate time frame)

-Coord for multiple health fairs (5-6 health fairs, one health fair served 3,000, another ~300, another ~12 kids, two more ~200 people)

-Mentor (10 yrs and ~2,500 hrs)

Total: over 3,000 hours

Volunteering
-RockThe River (One day HIV/AIDS and Heart surgery fundraiser -- I'm thinking this isn't worth listing)

-HIV/AIDS Counselor and Outreach Coord (Served for one year in AmeriCorps)

-McKinney-Vento Act (Served as a Liaison between university/state/national level for homeless children receiving independent status for financial aid in college for two years. hrs???)

Total: over 2,500 hours

Teaching/Tutoring
-Teacher (Volunteered for one academic school year)

-Tutor (paid, since November 2010 to current)

Total: ~90 hours

Awards
-Dean’s List

-United States Student Ambassador (Served in Australia and New Zealand for a summer)

-Beta Sigma Mu: Pre-med honor society

I wasn't planning on the listing the activities that follow. Unless I should?

Presentations
-New York Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical College: I gave three presentations. Two presentations were for journal club for the endocrinology department and one was for the Traveler's participants, PI's, etc.
-Biochemistry presentation at my college's annual conference

Other
IRB trained
HIPPA trained (assuming everyone has that job shadows)
FEMA Emergency Preparedness Trained

Club Sports
Club Volleyball
Club Softball

I appreciate any and all advice!! :D:D

I have the same issue. I actually thought it was a mistake because I was the only sophomore in the ceremony, but it happened because my credits made me look like a junior/senior. How should I list it?
If you were in your second year of college, but had a lot of transfer/AP/CLEP/ACT-SAT score-related credits/etc on your transcript, then you possibly had "junior" standing in the eyes of the selection committee. Or maybe your chapter has different rules. As it is more unusual to be nominated early, if you were within this smaller pool, it's worth mentioning. But list the criteria.

Comments below are in red. For further questions, see the Tips for filling out AMCAS Experiences thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591
I have multiple experiences for each EC category and I am not sure how to "combine" them (I.E. different time frames) or if I should list them at all? You have 15 spaces, so pick the most important. Some can be grouped.

Do I just put the beginning start date from research #1 and ending date of research #2 and try to explain they were separate in the description? I would list them separately.

Do I just list one contact person, or multiple? Same goes for places and titles. If more than one experience is in a space, each needs its own contact person and info in the narrative.

Research

Job Shadowing All shadowing should be listed in one space under "Other."
-Dr. K (~300 hrs)

-Hospital Surgery (~100 hrs in: neuro, cardio, general, general peds, and ortho)

-Hospital Med/Surg (~700 night care taker for a family member -- would this count?) No. If it's so significant you must include it, work it into the PS, or list it under "Other" in its own space.

-TCH (~9 hrs in congenital heart surgery, traveled to Texas to watch since I have a strong interest)

-Physical Therapy (~300 hrs with a PTA with sports related and an additional ~200 hrs in cardiac PT due to my mother participating after cardiac surgery)

Total: ~2,064 ALSO: I have a LOR coming from a MD (FP) that I job shadow randomly when I'm home. Should I include these hours? You may. There are completely random trips to the hospital or if I'm at his clinic when a patient is there, I will go in and shadow.

Leadership

-Medical Donations Coord (For multiple free clinics for multiple times, wouldn't consider an accurate time frame)

-Coord for multiple health fairs (5-6 health fairs, one health fair served 3,000, another ~300, another ~12 kids, two more ~200 people)

Volunteering
-RockThe River (One day HIV/AIDS and Heart surgery fundraiser -- I'm thinking this isn't worth listing) I agree.

-HIV/AIDS Counselor and Outreach Coord (Served for one year in AmeriCorps) If you got a stipend, this should be under Employment-nonmilitary.

-McKinney-Vento Act (Served as a Liaison between university/state/national level for homeless children receiving independent status for financial aid in college for two years. hrs???)

Teaching/Tutoring

Awards If you need to save space, you can omit this. If you list any, they should all be grouped into one space.
-Dean's List

-United States Student Ambassador (Served in Australia and New Zealand for a summer)

Presentations
-New York Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical College: I gave three presentations. Two presentations were for journal club for the endocrinology department and one was for the Traveler's participants, PI's, etc. No.
-Biochemistry presentation at my college's annual conference mention it a the end of the Research entry that describes the project.

Other No.
IRB trained

Club Sports - hobbies, sports can be listed together under Hobbies.
Club Volleyball
Club Softball

What I did to combine experience is to put the longest/most hours in the title and describe it. Then at the end of the description, I would also include similar experiences by length and title.

Eg. Retail Job at XYZ Clothing store 20 hours per week from 1/09 - 1/10

-describe expeience and what you learned from it. Blah blah blah. Also worked at ABC Gas sttation on 2/10 to 5/10 for 40 hours per week with similar experience.

I have multiple experiences for each EC category and I am not sure how to "combine" them (I.E. different time frames) or if I should list them at all?

Do I just put the beginning start date from research #1 and ending date of research #2 and try to explain they were separate in the description?

Do I just list one contact person, or multiple? Same goes for places and titles.

Research

Job Shadowing
-Dr. K (~300 hrs)

-Hospital Med/Surg (~700 night care taker for a family member -- would this count?)

Total: ~2,064 ALSO: I have a LOR coming from a MD (FP) that I job shadow randomly when I'm home. Should I include these hours? There are completely random trips to the hospital or if I'm at his clinic when a patient is there, I will go in and shadow.

Leadership

Volunteering
-RockThe River (One day HIV/AIDS and Heart surgery fundraiser -- I'm thinking this isn't worth listing)

-HIV/AIDS Counselor and Outreach Coord (Served for one year in AmeriCorps)

Teaching/Tutoring

Awards
-Dean’s List

Presentations
-New York Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical College: I gave three presentations. Two presentations were for journal club for the endocrinology department and one was for the Traveler's participants, PI's, etc.
-Biochemistry presentation at my college's annual conference

Other
IRB trained

Club Sports
Club Volleyball
Club Softball

I appreciate any and all advice!! :D:D

Comments below are in red. For further questions, see the Tips for filling out AMCAS Experiences thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591

What I did to combine experience is to put the longest/most hours in the title and describe it. Then at the end of the description, I would also include similar experiences by length and title.

Eg. Retail Job at XYZ Clothing store 20 hours per week from 1/09 - 1/10

-describe expeience and what you learned from it. Blah blah blah. Also worked at ABC Gas sttation on 2/10 to 5/10 for 40 hours per week with similar experience.

Merging related threads

1) If I was a summer intern at the same company for two consecutive summers (e.g. Summer 2009, Summer 2010), how should I list the start and end date? Should it be "May 2009 - August 2010?" I worked ~40 hours / week as a summer intern. Should I list my average hours per week as 40? Or should the hours be 'diluted' over the whole May 09 - Aug 10 period (making it about ~16 hours per week)?

2) For Job Shadowing, I shadowed two doctors, one for about 6 hours every week for 2-3 months (3 years ago) and another doctor for three days (these 3 days were spread over 2 summers). How should I list the start and end dates for this? Should I list the physicians separately? If so, how should I list the second doctor? Most importantly, how do I list the 'average hours per week" for the second physician I shadowed (about 10-13 hours total)?

3) If my hobbies are exercising, cooking, violin playing and drawing. Should these four activities all be grouped together under "Hobbies?" I noticed that there is an 'artistic endeavors' section.. Should Exercising and Cooking go into the 'Hobbies' section and Violin playing and drawing go into the 'Art. End." section?

4) How do I list average hours for Dean's List? Should I list it as 0 and simply write the academic years for which it was rewarded?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
1) Either "dilute the hours" over the whole time span, or enter sparate info in two spaces, or list the most recent but include the info for the second time span in the same narrative.

2) Put all shadowing in the same space under "Other". Use the more substantive experience for the header info. Don't fill in the hours per week in the header if it would be < 1, instead put total hours during the given date span in the narrative. Then for the second shadowing experience, just say, also shadowed Dr XXX, neurologist, for 13 hours, and the contact info. Give the grand total hours at the end of the narrative.

3) All hobbies should be grouped. An experience is an Artistic Endeavor if you performed for others.

4) Don't list the hours/week.

okay what do you guys think about this (i know its fairly controversial):

I have 2-3 pubs that are in final stages of prep. and will be submitted later in 2011.
On AMCAS, I put a field of "Publications" put "May 2011" as pub. date and then in description put:

"Following are list of manuscripts in final stages of preparation to be submitted late 2011:"........then i put all the citations of the papers with the intended journal of submission...

thoughts? (i know this is controversial but this is very important for me!)

okay what do you guys think about this (i know its fairly controversial):

I have 2-3 pubs that are in final stages of prep. and will be submitted later in 2011.
On AMCAS, I put a field of "Publications" put "May 2011" as pub. date and then in description put:

"Following are list of manuscripts in final stages of preparation to be submitted late 2011:"........then i put all the citations of the papers with the intended journal of submission...

thoughts? (i know this is controversial but this is very important for me!)

I'd probably include the fact that you're submitting manuscripts in with the associated research activities, but not call them out as separate publications since acceptance for publishing isn't guaranteed.

Members don't see this ad :)
An experience is an Artistic Endeavor if you performed for others.

So wait... writing a book (and working on future novels wouldn't fall under artistic endeavor?)
My response referred specifically to the OP's violin playing. For you, writing a book, would be a hobby. Reading chapters on open-mike night, publishing the first novel, even on-line, etc., would make it an artistic endeavor, as you made your work generally available for others to enjoy. JMO.

Thanks Catalystik!

One more thing, as one of my three most influential experiances I want to include a medical mission I did to Peru and was wondering if it would be too much detail to talk about "removing diseased flesh" or "removing ingrown toenails".

I would like to talk about these experiances and how by talking with and listening to the patient that I was able to know when to be more gentle ect. But I don't want to gross out my audiance.

One more thing, as one of my three most influential experiances I want to include a medical mission I did to Peru and was wondering if it would be too much detail to talk about "removing diseased flesh" or "removing ingrown toenails".

I would like to talk about these experiances and how by talking with and listening to the patient that I was able to know when to be more gentle ect. But I don't want to gross out my audiance.
I think these references are vague enough to be acceptable. When in doubt, run it by a family member who is not in a medical profession.

So I'm participating in this Pre-Med Program at a pretty well known hospital this summer. It doesn't start until June 6th, and I would obviously like to submit my application ASAP. However, this would clearly be the biggest activity on my application, but I do not know what it will exactly be like. There will be shadowing, research, patient contact, etc. How should I report this? Should I make it one of my three most meaningful activities? I want the schools to see this, because without this program I would only have about 80 volunteering hours, but with the completion of this program I would probably be close to 400.

P.S. The program is not over until August.

So I'm participating in this Pre-Med Program at a pretty well known hospital this summer. It doesn't start until June 6th, and I would obviously like to submit my application ASAP. However, this would clearly be the biggest activity on my application, but I do not know what it will exactly be like. There will be shadowing, research, patient contact, etc. How should I report this? Should I make it one of my three most meaningful activities? I want the schools to see this, because without this program I would only have about 80 volunteering hours, but with the completion of this program I would probably be close to 400.

P.S. The program is not over until August.

How would you be able to speak meaningfully about something that hasn't happened yet?

I could wait to submit AMCAS like a week after the program starts, talk about my experience thus far, and then explain what I hope to get out of it in the future. One week after the program starts brings me to June 13th.

for describing research experience, how detailed should we make it??

basically, i have to described two different independent projects i was part of over a span of four years at the same lab, and i am thinking of doing each in 350 characters--just the title of the project, brief description, and methods used (so no results etc)

for describing research experience, how detailed should we make it??

basically, i have to described two different independent projects i was part of over a span of four years at the same lab, and i am thinking of doing each in 350 characters--just the title of the project, brief description, and methods used (so no results etc)
Those applying to research-strong institutions should probably write a lot of details, after a more generic introductory paragraph that a nonscience person could understand. Are you not going to mark research as a most important activity to get the additional narrative space?

Those applying to research-strong institutions should probably write a lot of details, after a more generic introductory paragraph that a nonscience person could understand. Are you not going to mark research as a most important activity to get the additional narrative space?

i will mark it as such, but then can i use that space to add more details about the research itself or on what i learnt/reflection etc??

i will mark it as such, but then can i use that space to add more details about the research itself or on what i learnt/reflection etc??
Since the "Most Meaningful" section hasn't been available before this application season, I can't tell you how applicants have stretched it to suit their needs. It's probably best to use it as AMCAS instructs, which is:
When writing your response, you might want to consider the transformative nature of the experience, the impact you made while engaging in the activity, and the personal growth you experienced as a result of your participation.

I've played music since 3rd grade, but I haven't been in a formal band since 6th grade.
Violin 3rd-6th
Bass Guitar 7th-12th (Took lessons for a few months)
Guitar - Freshman to current (1st year graduate school)

I've only ever played with my friends since I stopped playing the Violin. I played a couple open mic nights, but I really don't have a contact other than friends I've played with.

Is there a way I can include this?

As a MS-to-MD (hopeful) nontrad, do you think it would look "bad" if I didn't list any of my research experiences as one of my "more meaningful" ones, especially since my verbal score is deterring me from even applying to a research-heavy institution?

I just typed that and realized how picky that question sounds. :p

Also, is this the type of response desired, or should I fluff it up more? Sounds like short and sweet is the general consensus.

As an interior firefighter and rescuer, I have numerous involvements with structure, brush, and automotive fires. I am also experienced with high-angle, water, and medical rescues, as well as automotive extrications. XX Company has allowed me to help people during their most trying times.

I am also a head of the department's fire prevention committee. I serve this committee by planning and organizing educational events for NFPA's national Fire Prevention Week. This requires coordinating with committee members to provide entertaining and educational demonstrations during our Fire Prevention Open House. Our goal is to educate children and adults about fire prevention and safety -- a firefighting tool more effective than water.

I am also a Director on the Board of Directors, which is responsible for all administrative and budget operations of the fire company. Recently we settled on a massive renovation project, which will expand the apparatus capacity of our current garage. This expansion gives XX a permanent residence in our station, providing the area with an Advanced Life Support unit.

X Fire Company has given me countless opportunities to serve my community. The position allows me to help people when they need help the most. It has also shown me the power of a community that works together.

Define "help people when they need help the most," despite how obvious it may seem.

Hey guys,

So I did a 4th year research project (September - April) and it's now being presented in a poster format by my professor at a conference. On AMCAS, do I list this as Research/Lab or Poster/Presentation. I'll also be continuing this project through the summer to finish it up

Thanks!

I've played music since 3rd grade, but I haven't been in a formal band since 6th grade.
Violin 3rd-6th
Bass Guitar 7th-12th (Took lessons for a few months)
Guitar - Freshman to current (1st year graduate school)

I've only ever played with my friends since I stopped playing the Violin. I played a couple open mic nights, but I really don't have a contact other than friends I've played with.

Is there a way I can include this?
Since you've shared your music with others (open mic night), it could go under Artistic Endeavors, rather than Hobbies. Focus on the guitar playing since it's current, then put the other background you mentioned in the narrative. It's fine to list a friend you played with.

As a MS-to-MD (hopeful) nontrad, do you think it would look "bad" if I didn't list any of my research experiences as one of my "more meaningful" ones, especially since my verbal score is deterring me from even applying to a research-heavy institution?

I just typed that and realized how picky that question sounds. :p
It's fine. :)

So I did a 4th year research project (September - April) and it's now being presented in a poster format by my professor at a conference. On AMCAS, do I list this as Research/Lab or Poster/Presentation. I'll also be continuing this project through the summer to finish it up
For sure discuss the research and your contributions under Research. If you have the space and were an author on the poster, even though you won't present personally, provided you give credit to the presenter, you can list it under Poster/Presentation, giving the author list (if it happened). If it has yet to happen, mention the poster's acceptance at the end of the Research section. If you are short on space, you could still list it along with the rest of the Research description and not use a second space.

For sure discuss the research and your contributions under Research. If you have the space and were an author on the poster, even though you won't present personally, provided you give credit to the presenter, you can list it under Poster/Presentation, giving the author list (if it happened). If it has yet to happen, mention the poster's acceptance at the end of the Research section. If you are short on space, you could still list it along with the rest of the Research description and not use a second space.

Sorry, got a little bit confused here :p

- So, list the research work I did under research/lab heading as one activity
- List the poster itself on a separate activity (it's already been presented with me as 2nd author)

Is this about right?

- So, list the research work I did under research/lab heading as one activity
- List the poster itself on a separate activity (it's already been presented with me as 2nd author)

Is this about right?
Yes, you would ideally use two separate categories to list both activities, assuming the "conference" was not a campus research symposium, or equivalent. The conference should have been regional or national.

Yes, you would ideally use two separate categories to list both activities, assuming the "conference" was not a campus research symposium, or equivalent. The conference should have been regional or national.

Yup it was national, thanks a lot :)

I have a question about how I should split these up.

1. I have worked as an IT tech in a teleradiology office for a few years now and have been able to "shadow" the physician for many hours as well. (Called this Medical IT Consulatation and Implementation last year)

2. I am about to start volunteering full time (I need to rack up some hours before June) at an internist's office (GI specialty) and will be collecting patient histories and doing the beginning of the interviews.

3. 10 hours of Orthopedist shadowing

How should I list these?

Also, would it be ok to consider all of the years I spent in Rabbinic seminary as an experience and write about it?

Thanks!

Part A) I have a question about how I should split these up.

1. I have worked as an IT tech in a teleradiology office for a few years now and have been able to "shadow" the physician for many hours as well. (Called this Medical IT Consulatation and Implementation last year)

2. I am about to start volunteering full time (I need to rack up some hours before June) at an internist's office (GI specialty) and will be collecting patient histories and doing the beginning of the interviews.

3. 10 hours of Orthopedist shadowing

How should I list these?

Part B) Also, would it be ok to consider all of the years I spent in Rabbinic seminary as an experience and write about it?
Part A) List the IT Tech under Employment-not Military. Personally, I'd split out the shadowing hours and list them separately under Other with the additional shadowing (taking care not to double list any hours under two different listings), but alternatively, you could mention the shadowing time with a (presumably) radiologist in the same listing, making the shadowing component clear. (I would hope this involved some pohysician-patient interaction, but if it was image reading only, make that clear.)

Listing only ten hours of ortho shadowing on its own is gong to look pretty weak. Regardless, could you get in some primary care shadowing before you submit?

Item #2 would be Volunteer-Medical/Clinical (though not a community service) and would be clinical experience with some embedded shadowing. Unfortunately, I gather you would not get much in before submission time, but you can let schools know through update letters about the additional hours from the rest of the summer later.

Part B) Even though your time in the seminary is presumably included on your transcript, it would be fine to further discuss the activity, listing it under the Other category.

Part A) List the IT Tech under Employment-not Military. Personally, I'd split out the shadowing hours and list them separately under Other with the additional shadowing (taking care not to double list any hours under two different listings), but alternatively, you could mention the shadowing time with a (presumably) radiologist in the same listing, making the shadowing component clear. (I would hope this involved some pohysician-patient interaction, but if it was image reading only, make that clear.)

Listing only ten hours of ortho shadowing on its own is gong to look pretty weak. Regardless, could you get in some primary care shadowing before you submit?

Item #2 would be Volunteer-Medical/Clinical (though not a community service) and would be clinical experience with some embedded shadowing. Unfortunately, I gather you would not get much in before submission time, but you can let schools know through update letters about the additional hours from the rest of the summer later.

Part B) Even though your time in the seminary is presumably included on your transcript, it would be fine to further discuss the activity, listing it under the Other category.

Thank you. So I will do:
1. Medical IT (payed employment)
2. Other: Shadowing.Radiologist 100+ hours, 10 hours orthopedist and hopefully watch 20+ hours of GI surgeries (shadowing)
3. Volunteer-Medical/Clinical. I will describe my job working for the intern and the patient interaction part of the experience.
4. I will discuss the impact seminary has had on my life

Thanks!

Here's another question... I built ultra low temperature refrigeration systems for use in computer technology. This was done in my garage and a lot of experimentation with new methods and techniques was done. Should I list this as Research/Lab or Paid Employment (I sold a few units) and which would look better?

Thanks again!

Here's another question... I built ultra low temperature refrigeration systems for use in computer technology. This was done in my garage and a lot of experimentation with new methods and techniques was done. Should I list this as Research/Lab or Paid Employment (I sold a few units) and which would look better?

Thanks again!

Between this and your spearfishing, you are: the most interesting man in the world.

I would call it paid employment but really stress the research nature in the description -- best of both worlds.

Thanks again!

Between this and your spearfishing, you are: the most interesting man in the world.

I would call it paid employment but really stress the research nature in the description -- best of both worlds.
As another opinion, I would put the garage gig under Other and describe it as a special project.

Just a comment, JSU: In regards to your previous post, item #2. Did/will you observe any patient interaction with your shadowing, or is it all watching procedures, image interpretation (which is not the main purpose)? You really, really need some office-based primary care shadowing.

Here's what I've got right now, just in general outline. Some questions below.

1) All-State Jazz Musician 1998 awards/honors
2) Summer Research Internship 1999 research/lab
3) Chemistry Award 1999 awards/honors
4) Summer Research Fellowship 2000 research/lab
5) Singing/Theater Activities 2000-2002 extracurricular
6) Research Publication 2001 (related to #2 above) publication
7) Private Tutor 2002 - 2008 teaching/tutoring
8) Human Resources Manager (2003-2007) paid employment
9) Student Union Leadership during Grad School 2006-2007 other-leadership
10) Counseling Intern 2007-2008 not sure what category (this was the last year of my master's program)
11) Mental Health Case Manager 2008-Present paid employment
12) Hospital Volunteering 2009-Present community service - clinical
13) Research-related volunteering 2010-Present research/lab
14) Physician Shadowing (44 hours) 2010 other

a) Looking for some feedback on how this stuff could be entered. Do you think it would be fine to have all of these entered separately as they are above, or would be it be better to group some of these into one thing?

b) As far as what to put as "most meaningful", I know that I'll put #11 and probably #12 (even though hospital volunteering might be a trite thing to talk about), but I'm not sure what else to put, given that a lot of the other stuff that relates to medicine is quite a number of years ago. #13 wasn't really anything glamorous, and while it's enhanced things, I can't say it led me to want to pursue medicine. Is there a presumption that the "most meaningful" things need to have been meaningful in the sense that they directly influenced the decision to enter medicine?

c) Also, regarding #7, how do I put down a contact person when it was all private tutoring and I had like a hundred different students over the years. Could I just put down one particular student to meet the contact requirement and then explain things more generally in the description?
a) I'd probably put the two awards together, but since you have the space, it's fine to leave it as it is. OTOH, with an extra space you can list all your hobbies together.

b) This is self determined. As it's the first year they've done it this way, I can't tell you far applicants stretch it. See yesterdays post of 6:24 pm for expected content.

c) Choose a tutee you helped for the longest period of time as a contact.

As another opinion, I would put the garage gig under Other and describe it as a special project.

Just a comment, JSU: In regards to your previous post, item #2. Did/will you observe any patient interaction with your shadowing, or is it all watching procedures, image interpretation (which is not the main purpose)? You really, really need some office-based primary care shadowing.

I went to the imaging centers on occasion so I did observe patient interaction but it was mostly watching the reading and observing the process from image to transcription. (in fact I grew up around it and used to go to imaging centers after school as a child. Though that isn't post secondary).

The Intern/GI job that I have is pretty much whatever I want it to be as the doc is really flexible. Right now, it looks like I will be taking patient histories and then staying in the room during the his examinations so it would be half primary care shadowing and half experience with actual patient interaction and interviewing (which do you think is more important?).

Haha. I think Dos Equis man is competing for the title but ill take :D . Which do you think catches adcom attention more, paid employment or other?

Next question, I have mentioned my two week assignment at a state penitentiary in my PS. Is it necessary to elaborate more under experiences (it will be listed under my rabbinical seminary stuff)? I really don't have any room for anything else...

When I was in HS, and for my Freshman year in college, my family was involved in raising puppies for Guiding Eyes for the Blind. If you are unfamiliar with the program, you receive a puppy to give basic training to and get them accustomed to being in public...general civilized working dog skills. After about a year and a half they go off for formal training. There were classes every month with groups of puppies to help teach new training techniques and evaluate progress.

My role was at home with the training and taking the puppies out in public, and I went to classes about every 2nd or 3rd time. In our time, we raised 3 puppies--1 made it as a seeing-eye dog, one was "too active" and was trained as a bomb-sniffer and deployed to Bahrain, and the third was released due to health concerns.

Basically, is this something that I could put in this section, even though it was most in high school?

When I was in HS, and for my Freshman year in college, my family was involved in raising puppies for Guiding Eyes for the Blind. If you are unfamiliar with the program, you receive a puppy to give basic training to and get them accustomed to being in public...general civilized working dog skills. After about a year and a half they go off for formal training. There were classes every month with groups of puppies to help teach new training techniques and evaluate progress.

My role was at home with the training and taking the puppies out in public, and I went to classes about every 2nd or 3rd time. In our time, we raised 3 puppies--1 made it as a seeing-eye dog, one was "too active" and was trained as a bomb-sniffer and deployed to Bahrain, and the third was released due to health concerns.

Basically, is this something that I could put in this section, even though it was most in high school?
I think the general consensus is that anything that continues into college time is fair gain.

I am familiar with this program and how much time it can take up, and I think it would be a super cool thing to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.