Tips on getting into UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbhasdance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a freshman at Louisiana State University, currently with a 3.277 GPA (for the fall semester), and hoping to get a 3.8-4.0 this semester.

That being said, I will be applying to the medical school at UCLA in a couple of years. I know this is very premature, but are there any tips/tricks that would help me when it's time, and would my GPA of 3.277 affect my chances strongly? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

lol

A 3.27 GPA would not get you into UCLA, especially as an Out of stater .

No but you need to make 4.0 from now on and have other stuff going your way. Btw OOS is super hard for cali school...so..

I hate to tell people with low gpa to make 4.0 from now on because usually they are unable to do so and that is why their gpa sucks in the first place x.x...

Members don't see this ad :)
No but you need to make 4.0 from now on and have other stuff going your way. Btw OOS is super hard for cali school...so..

I hate to tell people with low gpa to make 4.0 from now on because usually they are unable to do so and that is why their gpa sucks in the first place x.x...

I'm very capable of getting a 4.0, but last semester was just a very trying time for me (family, etc.). It seems I will have either a 3.8 or 4.0 this semester, though. If I get a 3.8 and continue to get 4.0's for the rest of my time in college, would my chances be high, or should I look at other schools in California with lower standards?

I'm very capable of getting a 4.0, but last semester was just a very trying time for me (family, etc.). It seems I will have either a 3.8 or 4.0 this semester, though. If I get a 3.8 and continue to get 4.0's for the rest of my time in college, would my chances be high, or should I look at other schools in California with lower standards?
Even witha 3.9 and 39 MCAT, applying to only Cali schools is very risky.

Even witha 3.9 and 39 MCAT, applying to only Cali schools is very risky.

Well, I'm definitely going to apply to my in-state medical school here (requirements are generally 3.5ish, low 30's MCAT) and a few other backup schools. My dream school is UCLA, but as it stands, I'm starting to be a bit more realistic of my chances.

Well, I'm definitely going to apply to my in-state medical school here (requirements are generally 3.5ish, low 30's MCAT) and a few other backup schools. My dream school is UCLA, but as it stands, I'm starting to be a bit more realistic of my chances.
Well just do the best you can, pray, and see what happens.

Why are you so set on UCLA?

I ask this b/c UCLA was my top choice school last cycle initially, I ended up getting in and going somewhere else because I didn't like it as much as I thought I would and liked other schools more.

Why are you so set on UCLA?

I ask this b/c UCLA was my top choice school last cycle initially, I ended up getting in and going somewhere else because I didn't like it as much as I thought I would and liked other schools more.

Well UCLA has always been the school I've wanted to go to, I even applied for my undergrad but didn't get in :(

But I would be perfectly happy with any CA school. The next choices would most likely be:
USC
UC-Irvine
UCSD

I know CA schools are tough as nails to get into, especially for an out-of-stater. My cum. GPA, if I get 4.0's from here on out, would be somewhere between 3.8-3.93, so hopefully that'll do some good. I plan to do research all 4 years and do some clinical volunteer work for about 2-3, I think.

I still have a long way to go before I finish college, so it's nothing to worry about too much right now, but I just wanted to see what my chances were.

I am leaving cali to go to NYC, with a 10%ish unempolyement, my state isn't doing so hot.

Well UCLA has always been the school I've wanted to go to, I even applied for my undergrad but didn't get in :(

But I would be perfectly happy with any CA school. The next choices would most likely be:
USC
UC-Irvine
UCSD

I know CA schools are tough as nails to get into, especially for an out-of-stater. My cum. GPA, if I get 4.0's from here on out, would be somewhere between 3.8-3.93, so hopefully that'll do some good. I plan to do research all 4 years and do some clinical volunteer work for about 2-3, I think.

I still have a long way to go before I finish college, so it's nothing to worry about too much right now, but I just wanted to see what my chances were.

My advice for you would be to transfer to a UC if you wanna go to med school in cali... This way you can become a resident of the state of CA, which will give you a better chance at UCI/ UCSD which accept very few OOSers... USC is nicer in that regard, but it is extremely expensive...It is EXTREMELY difficult to get into a UC school even as a Californian...

Plus, it is very difficult to get a 4.0 every quarter...

From my understanding you cant transfer residence status while in college?

Also, I just wanted to add that sometimes its simply a matter of the stars aligning.

I think someone mentioned in the UCLA secondary app thread that if you happen to interview with the head of the subcommittee reviewing your file, your chances of acceptance are very good. (given that the interview goes well)

but WHY? Have you ever spent any amount of time there?

Yes, I spent a summer in Los Angeles and completely fell in love with the city. I visited UCLA and USC a number of times and spoke with people there about the campus life, academics, etc. Those are my main reasons, really.

I would transfer to a UC school, but I've got a 4-year, $4000 a semester scholarship and others tied to LSU. :( And I know UC schools are highly expensive. Would it be particularly hard to get enough scholarships to transfer to a UC school?

If so, I'll just have to take my chances and hope that luck is on my side.

Yes, I spent a summer in Los Angeles and completely fell in love with the city. I visited UCLA and USC a number of times and spoke with people there about the campus life, academics, etc. Those are my main reasons, really.

I would transfer to a UC school, but I've got a 4-year, $4000 a semester scholarship and others tied to LSU. :( And I know UC schools are highly expensive. Would it be particularly hard to get enough scholarships to transfer to a UC school?

If so, I'll just have to take my chances and hope that luck is on my side.

It would be prohibitively expensive to attend UCs out of state. UCLA med was a nice school, although I wasn't particularly in love with the culture there. It's extremely hard to get into being OOS, though.

It would be prohibitively expensive to attend UCs out of state. UCLA med was a nice school, although I wasn't particularly in love with the culture there. It's extremely hard to get into being OOS, though.

Yeah... *sigh* I'll just have to hope that I get lucky.

Hi!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to hear me out.

I was wondering if anybody had advice or information of an out of state applicant. I know UCLA is notorious for only accepting in-state applicants but I'm applying anyways.

I'm currently completing a Master of Public Health degree. I have extensive experience with public health research, I have a publication in "predictors of engagement in family-based interventions". I did HIV counseling for 6 months. I have good physician rec letters and a great one from my PI. I did 2 medical mission trips. I taught under privileged kids advanced summer courses. 3.4 undergrad gpa. 3.4 grad gpa. 29 mcat.

I was thinking of taking a trip out there and meeting with some members on the admission committee. Thoughts?

Anything I should highlight on application that UCLA esteems?

Your input would be highly appreciated!
Thank you!

Hi!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to hear me out.

I was wondering if anybody had advice or information of an out of state applicant. I know UCLA is notorious for only accepting in-state applicants but I'm applying anyways.

I'm currently completing a Master of Public Health degree. I have extensive experience with public health research, I have a publication in "predictors of engagement in family-based interventions". I did HIV counseling for 6 months. I have good physician rec letters and a great one from my PI. I did 2 medical mission trips. I taught under privileged kids advanced summer courses. 3.4 undergrad gpa. 3.4 grad gpa. 29 mcat.

I was thinking of taking a trip out there and meeting with some members on the admission committee. Thoughts?

Anything I should highlight on application that UCLA esteems?

Your input would be highly appreciated!
Thank you!

With a 3.4 and a 29, your chances at UCLA specifically are pretty low unfortunately. Medical school is certainly within your reach, but you are going to have to apply to schools more within your reach.

UCLA is not notorious for only taking in state kids, relative to many other state schools. That said your stats make acceptance very unlikely.