**TMDSAS 2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I went 3/3 for in-state acceptances with 2 scholarship offers, but I also had excellent stats and what I felt was a very strong application. I don't think July/August is late per se, but anything after that is pushing it for pre-December interviews. My interviews started in October IIRC, when I think Baylor started interviewing in late August/early September.

Hey,

If I submitted my applications around mid-June along with letter of recommendations and transcripts, would the payment received and transmission would be done by July?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

If I submitted my applications around mid-June along with letter of recommendations and transcripts, would the payment received and transmission would be done by July?

Thanks!
I think it takes a bit longer for processing early in the cycle. That's the one good thing about being later. I think my app was processed in 5 days, but earlier it probably would've taken 2-3 weeks due to the higher volume.

I just wanted to post to alleviate stress that some people may feel from a belief that they must be in super early. I recently spoke to a board of admissions director at UT Houston who said that no one is reviewed prior to July 1st. I specifically asked if early applicants had an advantage, and the answer was a categorical no. Each school has a date like this. Some do have early admission, so you should be diligent and research, but in general a May 1st or June 14th application doesn't make a bit of difference. Good luck guys. As a side note for those applying from out of state, Texas public universities are required to accept 90% Texas residents per class. In practice, this is closer to 99%. If you aren't ranked in the top of the nation, you should probably spend your funds elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Submission deadline for application to the following programs:
1. AAMC Early Decision Program - Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine
2. Early Decision Program - UNT HSC - Texas College of Osteopathic
3. Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine - Partnership for Primary Care Program

I just wanted to post to alleviate stress that some people may feel from a belief that they must be in super early. I recently spoke to a board of admissions director at UT Houston who said that no one is reviewed prior to July 1st. I specifically asked if early applicants had an advantage, and the answer was a categorical no. Each school has a date like this. Some do have early admission, so you should be diligent and research, but in general a May 1st or June 14th application doesn't make a bit of difference. Good luck guys. As a side note for those applying from out of state, Texas public universities are required to accept 90% Texas residents per class. In practice, this is closer to 99%. If you aren't ranked in the top of the nation, you should probably spend your funds elsewhere.
Well, folks applying before 7/1 would get reviewed and potentially interview before those after, so in reality they do have an advantage over late (September-October) applicants who don't interview until after December.

Submission deadline for application to the following programs:
1. AAMC Early Decision Program - Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine
2. Early Decision Program - UNT HSC - Texas College of Osteopathic
3. Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine - Partnership for Primary Care Program

This is the predental forum.

I submitted my app today. It instantly has your GPA calculations, but it still needs to be verified by TMDSAS. I'll let you know how long it takes.

I am still waiting for my committee packet/rec letters to be submitted. Do schools look at apps missing rec letters? Thanks.

I submitted my app today. It instantly has your GPA calculations, but it still needs to be verified by TMDSAS. I'll let you know how long it takes.

I am still waiting for my committee packet/rec letters to be submitted. Do schools look at apps missing rec letters? Thanks.

I don't think they look at the applications until it is completed. Which essentially makes sense because some people finish their applications, but probably will never send in their letter of recommendations because they can't find three people to write them one.

Does anyone know if the average GPA acceptances are based on the TMDSAS GPA calculation or the one you get from school? I made a lot of B+ grades in my science courses, and the TMDSAS calculation brought them all down to B's, effectively lowering my science GPA by a couple tenths. Just want to get a better idea of where I stand in the application pool!

Does anyone know if the average GPA acceptances are based on the TMDSAS GPA calculation or the one you get from school? I made a lot of B+ grades in my science courses, and the TMDSAS calculation brought them all down to B's, effectively lowering my science GPA by a couple tenths. Just want to get a better idea of where I stand in the application pool!

Tmdsas GPA score. My GPA also took a good hit once I took away my +s.

Hi guys, so my application only shows the date I took my DAT and that it was received but not the scores. How do I know that the schools received the correct scores?
Keep in mind that when I signed up for the DAT, I sent my scores to all 3 Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, so my application only shows the date I took my DAT and that it was received but not the scores. How do I know that the schools received the correct scores?
Keep in mind that when I signed up for the DAT, I sent my scores to all 3 Texas schools.

it doesnt show the score, just if they were received.

Average GPA's are around a 3.6 for overall and science:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-guide-mini-guide-to-dental-school-admission.942453/

They are based on the TMDSAS averages. Average GPA at Houston for last class, as stated to me in person by a board of admissions member, was a 3.64GPA. I saw a PowerPoint a year earlier from Houston that claimed a 3.77, 3.6-3.7ish is the average. People do get in with 3.0's, but they are exceptional people and definitely not the standard. Houston accepts applicants very holistically. If your GPA is weak, you need to pull out a very good DAT and be an admirable person. Good luck.

Well, folks applying before 7/1 would get reviewed and potentially interview before those after, so in reality they do have an advantage over late (September-October) applicants who don't interview until after December.

This is the predental forum.

Correct.

How long does it take for TMDSAS to receive your undergraduate transcript? My transcript still has a status of not received yet. It was sent out last Thursday.

I had three transcripts send to TMDSAS. One took 3 work days, another 5 work days, and the last was 8 work days.

I think it depends on how fast your school processed your request. BTW it doesn't matter what form you use as long as you include your TMDSAS ID # on it...

I had three transcripts send to TMDSAS. One took 3 work days, another 5 work days, and the last was 8 work days.

I think it depends on how fast your school processed your request. BTW it doesn't matter what form you use as long as you include your TMDSAS ID # on it...

For the last one that took 8 days, was it the one that had the most credit? When did you sent out the last one?

Yes, my undergrad was the slowest and had the most credits. All of these requests were sent to my schools on May 1 when TMDSAS opened up.

Update: my app was turned in last Weekend and it got processed/submitted to schools yesterday, so 4 work days total.

Anyone know for sure when first interviews are requested/conducted? I think it's August/September respectively but I am not sure of this.

Update: my app was turned in last Weekend and it got processed/submitted to schools yesterday, so 4 work days total.

Anyone know for sure when first interviews are requested/conducted? I think it's August/September respectively but I am not sure of this.
It starts in mid-August.

Also, Baylor A&M and UT Houston has recieved my application but not UTSA. Do you guys know if UTSA just takes longer to process the information or what?

My Transcripts took about a week, I sent them on 5/6 and 5/7 respectively and it was marked as received on 5/14 and 5/15. I would give at least a week to updating before you start making calls.

Which Texas schools have secondary apps? I just completed Baylors after I got an email from them reminding me of it. Does San Antonio or Houston have one?

Which Texas schools have secondary apps? I just completed Baylors after I got an email from them reminding me of it. Does San Antonio or Houston have one?
Just Baylor, and theirs is pretty much just demographics.

Submitted my app today but I don't like this new bcpm stuff..numbers don't look as nice as they did last cycle :/

Submitted my app today but I don't like this new bcpm stuff..numbers don't look as nice as they did last cycle :/
It might change once you get your transcript approved, both my GPAs went up a bit after ti was all said and done.

How did it went up? Is it because you had a statistics class or something? I thought it was strictly BCPM for science gpa.

How did it went up? Is it because you had a statistics class or something? I thought it was strictly BCPM for science gpa.
I have no idea why it went up. And yes I did take statistics but I'm not sure if one class would make a huge change in my gpa.

I have no idea why it went up. And yes I did take statistics but I'm not sure if one class would make a huge change in my gpa.

Was it your science GPA that went up? How many "Other Science courses" did you have? Because I know if it wasn't the BCPM system, I would probably have my science GPA up by .05.

Was it your science GPA that went up? How many "Other Science courses" did you have? Because I know if it wasn't the BCPM system, I would probably have my science GPA up by .05.
My BCMP gpa and overall gpa went up, my non-bcmp gpa went down. My guess, they considered some of my "other sciences" as chemistry courses. Maybe P-chem, I took 2 semesters of pchem and got 2 A-'. Also, I got an A- in Statistics.

My BCMP gpa and overall gpa went up, my non-bcmp gpa went down. My guess, they considered some of my "other sciences" as chemistry courses. Maybe P-chem, I took 2 semesters of pchem and got 2 A-'. Also, I got an A- in Statistics.

Wow ! You made A-'s on pchem! Congrats! I heard physical chemistry is one of the harder courses in undergraduate. Okay, I haven't submit my applications yet but will do it soon. I think yours went up because you submit your application and they haven't gotten your transcript yet. As for the people who submitted their transcripts early, their GPA probably would not change!

Wow ! You made A-'s on pchem! Congrats! I heard physical chemistry is one of the harder courses in undergraduate. Okay, I haven't submit my applications yet but will do it soon. I think yours went up because you submit your application and they haven't gotten your transcript yet. As for the people who submitted their transcripts early, their GPA probably would not change!
Thanks for the complement babyshades. But honestly, I took the biology/biochem version which was much easier (Biochem major here). Not the ChemE/Chem version which was much harder ie needing differential equations.

It starts in mid-August.

Also, Baylor A&M and UT Houston has recieved my application but not UTSA. Do you guys know if UTSA just takes longer to process the information or what?

Small correction bud.
It's UTHSCSA. Not UTSA. Completely separate institutions. One of my friends called it UTSA and they got somewhat offended. lol

Small correction bud.
It's UTHSCSA. Not UTSA. Completely separate institutions. One of my friends called it UTSA and they got somewhat offended. lol
Kind of like referring to you as the DentalAggie.

Reactions: 1 users
It starts in mid-August.

Got this question answered. Called Uthscsa and they told me that it takes at least a month for them to go through their own process before they send out a "application complete/received" confirmation email.

I just submitted my application :) Finally!! How do I fill out the secondary app?

Now it's time to play the waiting game

Did you guys write anything for Baylor's secondary app questions on overcoming extreme hardship and other adverse situations? They seem more like short answers than essays, and am wondering if they are also 'required' optional prompts.

As far as I remember, the names of the three Texas dental schools are as follows:

Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry (TAMBCD)
University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston (UTSD)
The Dental School at the University of Texas Health Science Center - San Antonio (UTHSCSA)

Maybe learn these before you interview?

I know San Antonio is a closed file during interviews, what about the other two schools? Also, for San Antonio do they only have your personal statement or do they also have your optional essays? Does anyone know?

I know San Antonio is a closed file during interviews, what about the other two schools? Also, for San Antonio do they only have your personal statement or do they also have your optional essays? Does anyone know?
SA only has the PS IIRC.
Baylor and UTSD are open file. My Baylor interviewers had a printout of my entire TMDSAS application.

SA only has the PS IIRC.
Baylor and UTSD are open file. My Baylor interviewers had a printout of my entire TMDSAS application.

Oh, so none of your optional essays were brought up by SA? And thanks for the response by the way!

Oh, so none of your optional essays were brought up by SA? And thanks for the response by the way!
Nope, just the personal statement. It was pretty easy. They asked me about my background because I'm a career-changer, and the student interviewer didn't even interview me...I interviewed them/asked about the school.

Nope, just the personal statement. It was pretty easy. They asked me about my background because I'm a career-changer, and the student interviewer didn't even interview me...I interviewed them/asked about the school.
So I'm guessing you got accepted by SA?

So I submitted my app on 5/31, which was a Saturday and it shows that my DAT scores were received on 5/31 as well. Does the date shown as "received" indicate the day they received it, or the day they entered it into the system because I doubt they'd update my file on a Saturday…
Seems like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure because one of my professors who hasn't submitted my LOE yet said it's because he's waiting for my DAT scores before he finishes the final draft of my letter and submits it. I'm not sure what he meant by "waiting for my DAT scores."