***TMDSAS 2016***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe Baylor is known to have one of the best clinical programs in the nation. While Houston has a nicer facility, Houston may still have a bad stigma to it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I have never heard this before.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay sorry. I guess that's just what the students and faculty tell me when I interviewed there but I guess anyone can say that about their school. But based on all oos and Texas schools I interviewed at this does seem to be the better program since they really go out of their way to "over prepare" you in clinical aspects compared to anywhere else I've been, but then again the program is one thing and what you make of it is another. All the Texas schools are pretty good so can't go too wrong, good luck if you're still deciding!

Okay sorry. I guess that's just what the students and faculty tell me when I interviewed there but I guess anyone can say that about their school. But based on all oos and Texas schools I interviewed at this does seem to be the better program since they really go out of their way to "over prepare" you in clinical aspects compared to anywhere else I've been, but then again the program is one thing and what you make of it is another. All the Texas schools are pretty good so can't go too wrong, good luck if you're still deciding!

Yeah faculty members tend to oversell their school. Baylor does have higher clinical requirements than the other Texas schools though. I know that as a fact.
It is odd though. On all of my OOS interviews when I mentioned I got an interview at Baylor they just all assumed that if I got accepted to Baylor I would attend.
Applicants would say things like "Oh well you don't turn down Baylor if they offer you admissions". I was kinda like uhhh why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from Baylor graduates as well as faculty/graduates at UT Houston that say San Antonio is the best program.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard from Baylor graduates as well as faculty/graduates at UT Houston that say San Antonio is the best program.
I wonder why. Maybe because they used to be ranked higher than UTSD and Baylor in the past?

I wonder why. Maybe because they used to be ranked higher than UTSD and Baylor in the past?

Yeah I'm not sure? I think SA offers the students a lot of clinical experience (the selectives) and they have well known faculty. But I think a lot of OOS people associate Baylor dental school with the Medical school. The medical school is extremely famous(best in Texas) so I think people get the impression the dental school is the best as well. Nevertheless, they are all great programs. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I'm not sure? I think SA offers the students a lot of clinical experience (the selectives) and they have well known faculty. But I think a lot of OOS people associate Baylor dental school with the Medical school. The medical school is extremely famous(best in Texas) so I think people get the impression the dental school is the best as well. Nevertheless, they are all great programs. Just my 2 cents.
SA also has really cool programs. If I did go to SA I would totally take advantage of the Japanese exchange program. Sounded awesome.
This. I think people don't realize that it's actually Texas A&M not Baylor. They should really rename the school to Texas A&M University school of dentistry.

Ugh! I'm at a point that I don't care anymore ! It's just getting depressing !

I feel your pain. I'm still waiting and have to start thinking about reapplying.

What are the clinical requirements for Baylor? How many crown prep do you have to do before you graduate?

To those re-applicants, it has also been a long journey for me and I finally got into Houston so keep your head up. God's plan are better than ours!

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't heard "in the nation", but it seems (at least from word of mouth) that Baylor has the more rigorous clinical experience.

What are the clinical requirements for Baylor? How many crown prep do you have to do before you graduate?
I don't know the exact number of procedures. The D4's that gave us the tour told us that.

I haven't heard "in the nation", but it seems (at least from word of mouth) that Baylor has the more rigorous clinical experience.
I've heard that too. I've also heard SA has the most challenging didactics.

i think OU has the most challenging clinical reqs... They said most school requires around x amount, they requires 3x. It was ridiculous they said, sometime you had to do a procedures 24 times compare to 8. They start you off in the clinic right away dealing with real patient with a D2,D3, unlike SA until third year. They also said they have a 7 months wait period to get on the patient pool for their clinic..overflowing patients so practice all you want they said

Members don't see this ad :)
My gf, who works at UTSD, said she saw a big meeting this afternoon with all the admissions committee people. Not sure what it could mean but maybe a round of acceptance meeting?

My gf, who works at UTSD, said she saw a big meeting this afternoon with all the admissions committee people. Not sure what it could mean but maybe a round of acceptance meeting?
"you guys see that girl who's spying on us?"
"yeah"
"we need to get rid off her"

Reactions: 4 users
I remember my tour guy said 8 and used it as an example on how the program at Baylor is better than SA and Houston . But honestly , it shouldn't be that different. Minus the building,, the baylor building was old and somewhat like a prison. SA was very nice !!

I also heard that Baylor has their students do their own lab work. Both dentists I shadowed mentioned how critical it is to be able to tell good lab work from bad. I think this also gives Baylor a plus.

SA also has really cool programs. If I did go to SA I would totally take advantage of the Japanese exchange program. Sounded awesome.
This. I think people don't realize that it's actually Texas A&M not Baylor. They should really rename the school to Texas A&M University school of dentistry.

I agree, man! That sounded like such a cool opportunity. SA has some awesome selectives too. This was one thing that I felt was emphasized more at SA that the other schools didn't talk about too much.

I believe Baylor is known to have one of the best clinical programs in the nation. While Houston has a nicer facility, Houston may still have a bad stigma to it.

I wonder why there is a stigma against UTSD. The Texas Medical center is uncomparable to any other place and from what it seemed like at the interview, the dental students are always involved and rotating throughout hospitals and clinics in the center. That was a big selling point for me, actually. Can anyone shed some light on what the stigma against UTSD was in the past?

I wonder why there is a stigma against UTSD. The Texas Medical center is uncomparable to any other place and from what it seemed like at the interview, the dental students are always involved and rotating throughout hospitals and clinics in the center. That was a big selling point for me, actually. Can anyone shed some light on what the stigma against UTSD was in the past?
I'm also curious about this. I didn't think there was a stigma. Or at least I've never heard anything negative about it.

I have a question for people choosing Baylor for its extensive clinical training over the other two schools. If people want a lot of clinical practice, can't they just see more patients and do more than just the requirements at the other two schools? If anything, wouldn't more requirements make your schedule inflexible and add more stress when other exams rolls around.

I have a question for people choosing Baylor for its extensive clinical training over the other two schools. If people want a lot of clinical practice, can't they just see more patients and do more than just the requirements at the other two schools? If anything, wouldn't more requirements make your schedule inflexible and add more stress when other exams rolls around.
That's why Baylor has a reputation of having a more rigorous clinical years. The D4s didn't seem to have an issue meeting their requirements though.

I'm not exactly sure how the patients are distributed among the students and if there are "extra" patients for students to treat.

No, I asked this exact question during interview season. The problem is not the requirement. The problem is the inability to get patients. I was talking to some students at San Antonio and of course everyone wants to do more. They just couldn't get their hands on patients. Baylor for whatever reason seems to have a reputation in the Dallas community built up so they get a surplus of patients.
At Houston I asked this question again and the students response was that it was expected that you give up your patients if you have fulfilled whatever requirement

Reactions: 3 users
No, I asked this exact question during interview season. The problem is not the requirement. The problem is the inability to get patients. I was talking to some students at San Antonio and of course everyone wants to do more. They just couldn't get their hands on patients. Baylor for whatever reason seems to have a reputation in the Dallas community built up so they get a surplus of patients.
At Houston I asked this question again and the students response was that it was expected that you give up your patients if you have fulfilled whatever requirement
Interesting...
I wonder how UTSD is about getting patients. Every time I walk into the school the waiting room is always full of people lol.
EDIT:nvm

Interesting...
I wonder how UTSD is about getting patients. Every time I walk into the school the waiting room is always full of people lol.

Yeah it was interesting. At Houston I asked this exact question: "so if I wanted to do like 50 crowns could I do it if I wanted to get more experience?"

The Houston students kind of laughed and said that was not possible because everyone was just trying to get their requirements in and you were supposed to help your classmates.
I totally agreed with them but yeah. It seems that they don't have a huge surplus of patients, which was very surprising to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it was interesting. At Houston I asked this exact question: "so if I wanted to do like 50 crowns could I do it if I wanted to get more experience?"

The Houston students kind of laughed and said that was not possible because everyone was just trying to get their requirements in and you were supposed to help your classmates.
I totally agreed with them but yeah. It seems that they don't have a huge surplus of patients, which was very surprising to me.
A UTSD D4 told me that the current D4 class is the first class to move in the new building and to have 100 students. That could be why there was the patient issue. Dr. Galindo said they had to turn away patients so I guess it will no longer be an issue once they are used to 100 students.

Thanks for the responds

A UTSD D4 told me that the current D4 class is the first class to move in the new building and to have 100 students. That could be why there was the patient issue. Dr. Galindo said they had to turn away patients so I guess it will no longer be an issue once they are used to 100 students.

Thanks for the responds
She told this to us as well.
She said there's always a line outside the door of patients every day but they can only treat a certain number of walk-in Urgent care patients a day (because of some policy). After they reach that limit they have to turn the rest away.

Got an email today from Dr. Galindo who said hellllllllllll no to my app.
Oh well. I like the school. And Dr. Pierpont. And the price.
Looks like I'll be paying a lot of money somewhere else....
Better than no acceptance at all.

Oh, and I was driving errands and saw SA's new clinic building. It's gorgeous! Totally jealous of those who got in.

Oh, and I was driving errands and saw SA's new clinic building. It's gorgeous! Totally jealous of those who got in.
Did you email her or how did you find out?

Yeah, lets not talk about where the D1's will be spending most of their time though. :rolleyes:

Sorry about UTSD :[

I got the email today.

Meh, it's no worries brotha. I was not a strong applicant. I can be pissed of about not getting into a cheap Texas school, or I can be grateful for the offer of admission I received somewhere else. Everything happens for a reason. Either way, in 2020, we will be Doctors. Even if there is an extra zero in my student loan statement balance....

Reactions: 4 users

If you don't mind me asking, did you just e-mail Dr. Galindo in regards to your application/status and she informed you that you would not be accepted this cycle? Just curious, wondering if I should do the same so I can plan for my alternative.

If you don't mind me asking, did you just e-mail Dr. Galindo in regards to your application/status and she informed you that you would not be accepted this cycle? Just curious, wondering if I should do the same so I can plan for my alternative.
Nope, just turned up in my inbox.
Good luck.

Wife got an acceptance to San Antonio! Email was sent at 12am today and she has until the 11th to respond.

Probably still sticking to Baylor.

Reactions: 7 users
Wife got an acceptance to San Antonio! Email was sent at 12am today and she has until the 11th to respond.

Probably still sticking to Baylor.
Congrats!
So if yall get a UTSD acceptance within the next few months are yall still going to baylor?

Congrats!
So if yall get a UTSD acceptance within the next few months are yall still going to baylor?
We honestly don't know at this point. We're looking at buying a place to live so getting a Houston acceptance at the last minute would complicate things... we'll have the ball rolling soon on places in Dallas.

Actually, it is both. A&M did not have a dental school until they bought Baylor in 1996.

It may have more to do with the surrounding area than with the "reputation in the Dallas community".
Thanks for the responds
The first class to graduate from the new facility was in 2013.

Last edited:
Actually, it is both. A&M did not have a dental school until they bought Baylor in 1996.

Actually, it is both. A&M h

It may have more to do with the surrounding area than with the "reputation in the Dallas community".

It's apart of the TAMU Health science center. Which is owned by Texas A&M. It's located in the Baylor medical center though.

I think he meant the first class at UTSD to stay in the building all 4 years are D4s now.

I was referring to the first group of D1 that started at the new facility. The class you are talking about spent D1 - D3 in the old building, which could not support 100 students.

D1: 2012-13 <- building opened Fall 2012 I believe
D2: 2013-14
D3: 2014-15
D4: 2015-16 <- this year.

I was referring to the first group of D1 that started at the new facility. The class you are talking about spent D1 - D3 in the old building, which could not support 100 students.

D1: 2012-13 <- building opened Fall 2012 I believe
D2: 2013-14
D3: 2014-15
D4: 2015-16 <- this year.

Eh, correct me if I am wrong, but the Center for Oral Health Care and Research opened July 2015. Idk where you are getting this 2013 date from.

It was a tight squeeze, but the old building did manage to
The old building must have undergone considerable shrinking since the '80s, when there were well in excess of 100/class.

It was a tight squeeze, but the old building did manage to

The old building must have undergone considerable shrinking since the '80s, when there were well in excess of 100/class.

"University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston Dean John A. Valenza, DDS, has confirmed that the school will increase DDS class enrollment from the current 84 to 100 beginning with the August 2012 incoming class."

link: https://dentistry.uth.edu/about/e-f...d2-eed5-434e-b54c-a8ac9c9df23a&issue=20120127"