***TMDSAS 2016***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea when financial aid "awards" start coming in? From filling out the FAFSA and all that fun stuff.

If you mean when they send the award packages, if it's like undergrad, it usually comes in about June-ish. If you mean disbursed, then yeah around when school starts

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Where are you guys getting this information? It doesn't make any sense. They can't expect you to live on nothing for 2 weeks as a full time student.

UTHSCSA's website says that they disburse financial aid appox 10 days prior to the first day of class.

Last year:
UTHSCSA's disbursement date was July 17th and classes started July 27th.
Baylor's disbursement date was August 7th and classes started August 17th.
UTSD's disbursement date was August 3rd and classes started August 10th. (Prpbably because Aug 1st was a Saturday, it was pushed to Monday Aug 3rd.)

Anyway, I believe EasTexan was referring to the finaid award info, not the actual funds. You find out your financial aid package before disbursement. You have to approve loan amounts and sign MPNs and all that.

I still don't have an answer though, wish I did.
I was told this at all of my interviews, you don't get your loan disbursed until after classes start, so you'll have to put down for an apartment and everything else out of pocket. Tuition can be left alone if you have pending financial aid.

This was also how undergrad worked.... at least at my institution... Maybe y'all had it differently.

I was told this at all of my interviews, you don't get your loan disbursed until after classes start, so you'll have to put down for an apartment and everything else out of pocket. Tuition can be left alone if you have pending financial aid.

This was also how undergrad worked.... at least at my institution... Maybe y'all had it differently.
Yeah my undergrad was like that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, just meant when do awards go out, not disbursement. Couldn't remember from mine or her undergrad. We've slept since then!

Gracias.

Reactions: 1 users
For all those who are still hoping for Houston... An email was sent out to The entering class but only 98 recipients were on the email. So there is probably 2 seats left to be filled. I suggest emailing an update to Dr. Galindo or someone about your status and application. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
For all those who are still hoping for Houston... An email was sent out to The entering class but only 98 recipients were on the email. So there is probably 2 seats left to be filled. I suggest emailing an update to Dr. Galindo or someone about your status and application. Good luck!

Props to the person on our mailing list who managed to get in with the email username "Dirty" LOL

Reactions: 6 users

I emailed Dr. Galindo about my status on March 29th. She said an alternate list will be created after May 1st. Congrats to everyone that already heard back and got accepted!!

So uh. Anyone living in the Houston area.... Wanna go swimming?:D

Reactions: 5 users
So uh. Anyone living in the Houston area.... Wanna go swimming?:D
As far as this thread goes. Looks like I ma swim out of state for dental school...

Reactions: 3 users
Those who were accepted late, when y'all went and got your immunizations, what did y'all do for the hep B shot series? The one insurance covers takes 6 months and the Twinrix combo series cost $206 per injection (x3!!). Any one run into this problem yet?

Those who were accepted late, when y'all went and got your immunizations, what did y'all do for the hep B shot series? The one insurance covers takes 6 months and the Twinrix combo series cost $206 per injection (x3!!). Any one run into this problem yet?
I went to get my hep B titer and apparently I don't have immunity to hep B (even though I had the series before). I was going to go get the first injection this week. 206$?....EACH? you aren't serious right?

EDIT: Apparently you can get the series at walgreens for 90$ per dose.

I'm serious.. For the TWINRIX one, which only takes about 5 weeks for all three, cost $206 each. She said insurance very rarely covers that one. The normal hep b series takes 6 months and is usually covered by insurance.

I went to just a immunization clinic so cost may differ but I was shocked and told her I will call the school first.

I'm serious.. For the TWINRIX one, which only takes about 5 weeks for all three, cost $206 each. She said insurance very rarely covers that one. The normal hep b series takes 6 months and is usually covered by insurance.

I went to just a immunization clinic so cost may differ but I was shocked and told her I will call the school first.
Oh just get the 6 month one. You're going to UTHSCSA right? At Baylor we can register and attend classes if we've gotten the 2nd dose. I'm not sure if UTSD and UTHSCSA has this policy.
The 2nd dose is administered 30 days after the first one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh just get the 6 month one. You're going to UTHSCSA right? At Baylor we can register and attend classes if we've gotten the 2nd dose. I'm not sure if UTSD and UTHSCSA has this policy.
The 2nd dose is administered 30 days after the first one.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks

I talked to UTHSCSA and they said if you have documentation about your childhood hep B vacc, you only need to have started the new hep B series and you are good.

I talked to UTHSCSA and they said if you have documentation about your childhood hep B vacc, you only need to have started the new hep B series and you are good.
Did you do the 3 injection series or the 6 mo series?

Is there any movement for any of the schools? And is likely to be picked up from a waitlist?

Is there any movement for any of the schools? And is likely to be picked up from a waitlist?
According to the official UTSD 2020 thread they're done and currently making a waitlist. Not sure about UTHSCSA and Baylor.

Hey y'all I have a question.

I will be reapplying this cycle but the last time I applied was in 2013. Will my old TMDSAS account still be there? Or will I have to refill out the entire thing?

Hey y'all I have a question.

I will be reapplying this cycle but the last time I applied was in 2013. Will my old TMDSAS account still be there? Or will I have to refill out the entire thing?
Your old account and old application will be there.:thumbup:

Question again:
What is the latest I can take the DAT and still be considered early? I plan on having my app done and sent in by mid May so the only thing missing would be my DAT

Question again:
What is the latest I can take the DAT and still be considered early? I plan on having my app done and sent in by mid May so the only thing missing would be my DAT
They don't start looking at applications until mid july. So around that time should be good.

I just got a letter in the mail for baylors alternate list. Does anyone know how many people are usually on it and how many people receive acceptances from the list?

Reactions: 5 users
Bad sign if we didn't get one?

Rejection coming soon brother. I'm in the same boat with them.

What I'm most surprised about with Baylor is did they ever send out a second round? Besides the few OOS ones.

Reactions: 2 users

What I'm most surprised about with Baylor is did they ever send out a second round? Besides the few OOS ones.
I emailed them a while back and they said they have a high first round acceptance rate this year and almost fill their class, so the second round was never determined.

It was sad on my end tho. But, eh. I cant do anything about it.

I feel ya, I interviewed there after dec 1st. I literally had zero chance.

Still amazing, what other school in the nation could say they did that? What's funny to me is they have the oldest clinic in Texas now and still pull that off.

I feel ya, I interviewed there after dec 1st. I literally had zero chance.

Still amazing, what other school in the nation could say they did that? What's funny to me is they have the oldest clinic in Texas now and still pull that off.
I interviewed in Nov and I felt pretty good.
Guess I was wrong.
Or maybe I'm just too ugly. My RBF is too much for a dentist...

I'm pretty sure they had a small second round because I know someone who was accepted in April. I hope theres some movement for baylor or SA

Do the TX schools accept unofficial DAT scores? Like the paper you get after you finish your exam? I was wondering if you could email them those scores while you wait for TMDSAS to send it.

Yeah, Baylor had a small second round acceptance in mid April. To answer the question above, I know when you apply Baylor requires you to email your unofficial score report to them so I'm pretty sure the other two schools won't mind getting it either :)

Yeah, Baylor had a small second round acceptance in mid April. To answer the question above, I know when you apply Baylor requires you to email your unofficial score report to them so I'm pretty sure the other two schools won't mind getting it either :)

Thank you my friend!

Would you guys suggest submitting my app the second week of May or increasing my stats and submitting the last weekend of May?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would you guys suggest submitting my app the second week of May or increasing my stats and submitting the last weekend of May?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think most if not all TX universities don't release their finalized transcripts til middle of may right? That's usually when the semester ends.

I received the alternate list email today around noon

Just curious do u guys know of any OOS applicant who was accepted in any Texas DS this cycle?

Just curious do u guys know of any OOS applicant who was accepted in any Texas DS this cycle?

Yep we got two OOS in Houston. One kinda has a tie to Texas but one doesn't at all