To retake the mcat or not to retake the mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manie123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I just wanted to know if I should retake the mcat, and by doing so delay applications because of financial reasons, or if I should just "let it ride" work a bunch and apply to as many medical schools as I can. Here are my stats:

African American non-traditional student
B.S Neuroscience and Physiology
Overall GPA 3.34 :(
Science GPA 2.99.... only because of two F's I got in Algebra Ten years ago :(
MCAT 21... yes I know horrible
10 years of EMT experience on city ambulance responding to 911 medical calls
4 years as Emergency Trauma Tech in Downtown Emergency room
8 months Research at Ludwig institute of Cancer research.

I am scheduled to take the mcat Sept 11 but the way things are looking I can not afford to take the time from work. During the previous mcat I only was able to take a month off.

Members don't see this ad.

The only place that MCAT will let you ride to is some weird Carribean school that doesn't require MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its too late because I submitted my application before I got my scores.

Absolutely do NOT take the MCAT unless you are fully ready to do so. We're talking about a high stakes, career-deciding exam here, and you can't take it lightly.

Hello I just wanted to know if I should retake the mcat, and by doing so delay applications because of financial reasons, or if I should just "let it ride" work a bunch and apply to as many medical schools as I can. Here are my stats:

African American non-traditional student
B.S Neuroscience and Physiology
Overall GPA 3.34 :(
Science GPA 2.99.... only because of two F's I got in Algebra Ten years ago :(
MCAT 21... yes I know horrible
10 years of EMT experience on city ambulance responding to 911 medical calls
4 years as Emergency Trauma Tech in Downtown Emergency room
8 months Research at Ludwig institute of Cancer research.

I am scheduled to take the mcat Sept 11 but the way things are looking I can not afford to take the time from work. During the previous mcat I only was able to take a month off.

seriously hoepfully you didnt already add all the schools and pay, because that would just be wasted money. even if you did, you should save yourself the secondary fees because...well chances are slim to none, heavy emphasis on none

even with a (what sounds like ill prepared for) retake in sept, your app will be late, low GPAs, most likely another low MCAT due to inability to prepare

your best bet is to study a lot for the MCAT (for a alter date, maybe january) and apply next year early