To take more than prereqs or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gramnegative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, this forum has been hugely informative and inspiring.

I only need a few more prereqs to apply for most schools (org II, physics 1/2), but my prereqs thus far have been completed at a community college, all 4.0. I might have an opportunity in the future through work to have up to 16 credits paid for completely at any in state network school. I wouldn't be applying for med school for a few more years, so I am wondering how useful taking additional upper division bio and chem courses would be for my application in general, as a non-trad student (I originally went to college for literature). Getting good grades would not be an issue, and I am genuinely interested in chem and bio, but I wonder how if upper-division courses in the sciences at a university will offset the earlier community college prereqs. I ask this mainly because my top choice school does state that it prefers students to complete prereqs at a four year university. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, this forum has been hugely informative and inspiring.

I only need a few more prereqs to apply for most schools (org II, physics 1/2), but my prereqs thus far have been completed at a community college, all 4.0. I might have an opportunity in the future through work to have up to 16 credits paid for completely at any in state network school. I wouldn't be applying for med school for a few more years, so I am wondering how useful taking additional upper division bio and chem courses would be for my application in general, as a non-trad student (I originally went to college for literature). Getting good grades would not be an issue, and I am genuinely interested in chem and bio, but I wonder how if upper-division courses in the sciences at a university will offset the earlier community college prereqs. I ask this mainly because my top choice school does state that it prefers students to complete prereqs at a four year university. Any advice would be appreciated!

If you're willing, can get good grades, have the time to fit it in, and won'thave to pay for it then it's only going to help.

Reactions: 1 users
Only taking minimum prereqs is something Goro brings up in much of her advice to students who were not admitted in a given cycle.

So I infer that its preferable if you take a few

Only taking minimum prereqs is something Goro brings up in much of her advice to students who were not admitted in a given cycle.

So I infer that its preferable if you take a few

I do believe Goro is a man. Or possibly a cat.

Reactions: 2 users