To Work or Not to Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right, so I have a CPR/AED class tomorrow (Sunday) from 8AM-2PM that I have been registered for the last 3 weeks.

2 of the interns/techs that usually work Sundays can't work. Thus, my boss put me on the schedule for Sunday 930AM-6PM, without asking me if I could work. Normally, I don't work Sundays.

We have been looking for coverage non-stop and it seems that no one wants to work that shift (WTF happened to everyone looking for hours and complaining of their hours being cut?).

So, what should I do, just not show up to work and go to my CPR/AED class(paid in full/non-refundable), because usually I don't work Sundays, and Sunday is not one of my "available" days.

Members don't see this ad.

Just go and use the lack of coverage as an opportunity to covertly counsel more patients inappropriately.

Jk.

I'd make a very simple, matter of fact statement that "I'm sorry but I have prior commitments which I've agreed to weeks ago". Don't go ummm and ahhhing cause you'll get suckered in.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long ago did your manager put you on the schedule? I'd say that how you handle this is dependent on how long you've known about the conflict and whether or not your manager knew about your AED class when he made the schedule.

+1

IMO you could go to the class and probably get out a little early, at least that has been my experience with the BLS classes.

How long ago did your manager put you on the schedule? I'd say that how you handle this is dependent on how long you've known about the conflict and whether or not your manager knew about your AED class when he made the schedule.

My manager put up the schedule last Friday, Feb 6th. I worked on the 7th and found out about it. He did not know about my CPR/AED class being tomorrow.

Regardless of whether I have a class or not, my manager knows that I told him in Fall 2007 that I do not want to work on Sundays. I used to work Fridays 3PM-9PM, Saturdays 10AM-6PM, and Sundays 10AM-6PM). Now I only work Saturdays 10AM-6PM, and Sundays 7PM-1030PM in another store.

What happened today was, I found someone who can work the 1st half of the shift, and I will try and speed back around 2PM to work the second half. If not, my manager might be alone for an hour.

My plans for tomorrow were to go to the CPR/AED class then hang out after the class with some of my classmates, but this screws up those plans. Seriously, I will never work a Sunday again, gonna make that clear tomorrow when I talk to him.

My manager put up the schedule last Friday, Feb 6th. I worked on the 7th and found out about it. He did not know about my CPR/AED class being tomorrow.

Regardless of whether I have a class or not, my manager knows that I told him in Fall 2007 that I do not want to work on Sundays. I used to work Fridays 3PM-9PM, Saturdays 10AM-6PM, and Sundays 10AM-6PM). Now I only work Saturdays 10AM-6PM, and Sundays 7PM-1030PM in another store.

What happened today was, I found someone who can work the 1st half of the shift, and I will try and speed back around 2PM to work the second half. If not, my manager might be alone for an hour.

My plans for tomorrow were to go to the CPR/AED class then hang out after the class with some of my classmates, but this screws up those plans. Seriously, I will never work a Sunday again, gonna make that clear tomorrow when I talk to him.

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time...we aren't always able to get the exact hours that we want. Part of retail pharmacy is having to be flexible with scheduling.
I'm glad this situation worked out for you though.

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time...we aren't always able to get the exact hours that we want. Part of retail pharmacy is having to be flexible with scheduling.
I'm glad this situation worked out for you though.

I mean, I already have the exact hours I want. 10AM-6PM Saturdays, 7PM-1030PM Sundays. I do not want to work any more hours than what I already am. If Sundays were the only days he had hours available, I'd take Saturday off and work on Sunday. Bottom line is, I do not want to work on both days of the weekend.

You guys are so lucky you get an intern license and can make a decent wage when you want. We don't get anything. +pity+

yeah my friends who are in law and med school say they are told they cannot work. I feel like I learned so much more interning than I did from the classroom.

Top law students can get big law internships during the summer and pull in $30k.

I have to apply as a pharmacy tech to get anything more than $6/hr. I'mma keep my license active until I graduate.

Sad.

So yeah, nothing bad happened, I went to the CPR class, got out a little later than planned. Personally, I wouldn't have scheduled a lunch break(giving out free food) and just gone straight through, then offer lunch at the end.

Ended up at work about 245PM, pharmacist was alone for a little bit, but the Assistant Manager came back there to ring up transactions.

Top law students can get big law internships during the summer and pull in $30k.

I have to apply as a pharmacy tech to get anything more than $6/hr. I'mma keep my license active until I graduate.

Sad.
med school is harder then pharmacy school, I don't even know how you could possibly work. there is essentially no free time, besides don't you have histology or something to study? :)

Eh picking up a weekend shift every now and then is no biggie, at least so far. I won't work third or fourth year, obviously, and probably not even next year.

Anyway yes I do have a test tomorrow and no I'm not studying right now. :p

Ok back to studying, I'm logging out for a while.