Top tier MD/PhD chances? 3.9/35 but late application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1bigcatfish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application an hour ago, What are my chances of getting into a top tier MD/PhD program? (like UCSF or Stanford).
Credentials:
Dual chemistry-psychology major
My gpa is a 3.97, and my mcat score is a 35.
I don't have a clinical experience, but I have two different 1+ years of research experiences (one in spectroscopy lab (2.5 years) and the other in a neuro-histology lab (1 year)) and one summer research program at UC irvine in a computational biochemistry lab.
I also was a senator in student government for two years, was on the division III Track & field team for two seasons and a division III swiming & diving for one season.
I go to a no-name public liberal-arts college.
Most people are telling me I wont get an interview because my application is late, and that I have a better shot next year. but what if I submit my secondaries really early, would I still have a shot?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how many publications do you have? how many poster presentations?

if you just submitted your amcas now, you are definitely late.

I suggest you do one more year of research, try to put your name in some publications and re-submit your amcas in early june 2015.

Now that you've already submitted, you might as well complete the secondaries and finish up your application. You're going to be considered a reapplicant next year regardless, and school's will already see your GPA/MCAT/ECs, so there's no sense in not following through at the schools you already sent the primary to. If you don't mind waiting a year, stick with the schools you've already added and if there are additional ones you were thinking of applying to, hold off on applying to those until next cycle in case this cycle is unsuccessful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently working on a first author publication to be submitted within the next month or so. I have three poster presentations all at conferences

Knowing that my chances are beyond slim to even get an interview what should be my next step? in terms of research I will continue working in my lab and apply to a couple nih post-bacc programs (PREP). I'll also plan to volunteer in a hospital or shadow a doctor possibly both. what else can i do to improve my chances? should I retake the mcat?

Clinical experience. Show that you know what you are getting into.

Knowing that my chances are beyond slim to even get an interview what should be my next step? in terms of research I will continue working in my lab and apply to a couple nih post-bacc programs (PREP). I'll also plan to volunteer in a hospital or shadow a doctor possibly both. what else can i do to improve my chances? should I retake the mcat?
Your MCAT is the strongest part of your application! Repeating what you did well and avoiding what you haven't done makes you a weaker, not a stronger candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to demonstrate that you really want to be around sick people for the enxt 30-40 years, and that you know what you're getting into.

I've seen tons of posts from hyperachieiving individuals like yourself who get rejected because they never set foot in a hospital.

And shadowing doesn't count as patient contact experience.

I just submitted my application an hour ago, What are my chances of getting into a top tier MD/PhD program? (like UCSF or Stanford).
Credentials:
Dual chemistry-psychology major
My gpa is a 3.97, and my mcat score is a 35.
I don't have a clinical experience, but I have two different 1+ years of research experiences (one in spectroscopy lab (2.5 years) and the other in a neuro-histology lab (1 year)) and one summer research program at UC irvine in a computational biochemistry lab.
I also was a senator in student government for two years, was on the division III Track & field team for two seasons and a division III swiming & diving for one season.
I go to a no-name public liberal-arts college.
Most people are telling me I wont get an interview because my application is late, and that I have a better shot next year. but what if I submit my secondaries really early, would I still have a shot?