Touro-CA MSMHS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this might be a stupid ? but I am still not clear on the LOW waiting list thing.

so does being on a low waiting list means a good thing?

thanks for your help =)

Members don't see this ad.

So for those of us on the waitlist, do you think we would know in 2-3 weeks if we are in or not? I'd be nice to know soon.

Edit:
Based on a former thread, I think they are only offering 15 seats....? I hope they increase that.
Depends where you are on the wait list. I think someone heard within three weeks that they were accepted off the wait list last year but someone else didn't hear until well into July. And who knows if that person was next on the list or if people ahead of him/her declined to attend. Like the email said, there are too many variables to account for so it doesn't do us any good to stress about it.

Also, it was 15 people in the past and this last email said 15 as well so it would be highly unorthodox for them to increase the class size. I think one reason is because they can only hold so many COM seats for MSMHS students.

Last edited:
Also on the wait list

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
this might be a stupid ? but I am still not clear on the LOW waiting list thing.

so does being on a low waiting list means a good thing?

thanks for your help =)

It means that those on the "low waitlist" will only be invited only after those on the "high waitlist" get in. So if there is space they will first fill in people on the "high waitlist." After all the people from "high waitlist" has been accepted, then they will look into accepting those in the "low waitlist"

Accepted
Stats:
UC Berkeley Class of 2013
3.4 cGPA
3.2 sGPA
28 MCAT

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I'm a graduate of the 2014 MSMHS and just got accepted to the DO program.

These are perfect stats for the program. The MCAT is high enough for the MSMHS program but may not be high enough to get you directly into the DO program. You won't need to retake it. Your science GPA is good but on the lower end of good. I had similar stats as you, 29MCAT, poorer science GPA. If you kick ass in the program and get good grades, you'll get in.

Last edited:
How many students do they accept in the program total? I don't see that kind of stats on their website.

So for those of us on the waitlist, do you think we would know in 2-3 weeks if we are in or not? I'd be nice to know soon.

Edit:
Based on a former thread, I think they are only offering 15 seats....? I hope they increase that.

Yes you're right, 15. Might increase it, probably won't decrease it.

I got low wait list with 3.5cgpa 3.4sgpa and MCAT score..I love this part that they put in

"I know this will come as cold comfort to you if you ultimately are not offered a seat, but it was quite an accomplishment on your part to be wait-listed as not all applicants are placed on the waitlist. I am still very hopeful that you are going to get a seat, but with only 15 available I feel obliged to recommend that you now start to at least consider what other options may be available to you in this next academic year so that you have a better chance of getting accepted to medical school for the fall 2015 start."

:p gets your hopes up, then you remember you were on the LOW WAIT LIST! darn!

Both you and Expressions sound overqualified for these program. Both of your stats sound competitive enough for allopathic medical schools. IMHO I think you guys should save yourselves 18k and sign up for an MCAT prep class.

For anyone who likes reading into meaningless numbers (anyone hoping to get off the wait list won't like these stats): Three people have been accepted for a 15-person class. Assuming TUCA doesn't admit more than 15 people at a time, 80% of those accepted are not on SDN. So, for no rhyme or reason, we can guess that 80% of the wait list is also not on SDN. Right now, I think there's 22 people total on the wait list, which would mean the wait list is about 88 people. Seem like extraordinary numbers? Well, those numbers are about as believable as it is unbelievable to wait list 22 people for 15 spots, unless there was some sort of precedent which makes such a long wait list reasonable (highly doubt there is). I would bet the regular wait list is at least 15 people and the low wait list is also at least 15 people, so we're dealing with a minimum 30-person wait list for 15 spots. That's like an entire starting line-up for a team getting wiped out, then the entire second team getting wiped out before going to the third team. Moral of the story: better have some back up plans because, without knowing our positions, the wait list is just a lottery at this point. But hey, even Tom Brady was a third string QB.

For anyone who likes reading into meaningless numbers (anyone hoping to get off the wait list won't like these stats): Three people have been accepted for a 15-person class. Assuming TUCA doesn't admit more than 15 people at a time, 80% of those accepted are not on SDN. So, for no rhyme or reason, we can guess that 80% of the wait list is also not on SDN. Right now, I think there's 22 people total on the wait list, which would mean the wait list is about 88 people. Seem like extraordinary numbers? Well, those numbers are about as believable as it is unbelievable to wait list 22 people for 15 spots, unless there was some sort of precedent which makes such a long wait list reasonable (highly doubt there is). I would bet the regular wait list is at least 15 people and the low wait list is also at least 15 people, so we're dealing with a minimum 30-person wait list for 15 spots. That's like an entire starting line-up for a team getting wiped out, then the entire second team getting wiped out before going to the third team. Moral of the story: better have some back up plans because, without knowing our positions, the wait list is just a lottery at this point. But hey, even Tom Brady was a third string QB.
lol tom brady reference

Accepted Stats:
2010 Loyola Marymount University
2012 Touro Universtiy, CA MPH program
Waitlisted to TUCOM Last year and this year
3.3 cGPA (I think)
3.1 sGPA (I think)
25 MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
If interested, my accepted stats were:

3.6 cGPA
3.5 sGPA
30 MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply directly to the COM first? Seems like you wouldn't need the MSMHS with those stats.

I've applied to the COM for the 14-15 application cycle, but I did not for the 13-14 cycle (for reasons related to some of the admissions requirements, like the LOR). I'm doing the program because i'm hoping it'll help me in this current cycle, or at least help me out next year if I need to reapply again.

Well finally heard back and I'm on the waitlist too. Mine had a 2 on the subject line.

Last edited:
They have too many people on the waitlist :( It's ridiculous. I think realistically it's best not to get my hopes up. Most likely the folks that got accepted had Touro as their first option. I'm trying not to be frustrated but it's what it's. Oh well, struggles of premed students!

Reactions: 1 users
So far, three students have GPAs of 3.3, 3.4 and 3.6. If previous classes are any indication and they're not going for a better statistical class, people on the wait list with a sub-3.0 GPA may have the best chance.

So far, three students have GPAs of 3.3, 3.4 and 3.6. If previous classes are any indication and they're not going for a better statistical class, people on the wait list with a sub-3.0 GPA may have the best chance.
What's your logic as to why people on the wait list with a sub-3 GPA would get in if the 3 people accepted on sdn have a 3.3, 3.4 and 3.6? Wouldn't this indicate that the adcom is accepting individuals with a 3+ GPA??

Of those three acceptances, the class average is 3.43. The average GPAs of the '11 and '12 classes were 3.13 and 3.04, so in order to have an average class GPA in that range, they will need to load the rest of the class with students who have sub-3.0 GPAs. Who knows, maybe they're going for a different class profile this year and this isn't indicative of a trend.

Does anyone know how many members are in the Facebook group for the 2015 class? I don't have a Facebook, so I can't log in to see. I would assume these people accepted the offer and will be attending.

I believe there are 8. (But it has to be taken into account that not everyone who accepted necessarily joined the FB group.)

I keep checking back here hoping they take some people off the wait list but as of now no movement...Well so much for that program. What a bummer.

I keep checking back here hoping they take some people off the wait list but as of now no movement...Well so much for that program. What a bummer.
Yeah, I'm on the wait list as well and am planning on going with plan b at the moment bc this doesn't seem like it's going to work out. I mean, there's 15 spots and probably over 30 people on the wait list. Definitely in the best interest of wait listed people to start accepting offers from other programs.

Does anyone know how many members are in the Facebook group for the 2015 class? I don't have a Facebook, so I can't log in to see. I would assume these people accepted the offer and will be attending.

4 people on the FB group are new students, MSMHS 2015. The rest are previous year grads.

Did anyone else have a (2) in the subject line of their email??

Just got off the waitlist with a phone call this morning while watching the soccer game

Congrats ryanc6060!
Crossing my fingers that I'll be another "Berkeley person" to be admitted!
...though I'm not taking the MCAT until August so that might not work in my favor if they're looking for people who already have a score to provide...
Does anyone know whether this makes a significant difference in the admissions process?

Last edited:
Did anyone else have a (2) in the subject line of their email??
I did. I think it means we're second on the priority list of non-low waitlisted students (i.e. there is a "first string" and "second string" of non-low waitlisted students, we're the second string)
This is just an assumption on my part.

I did not have a "2" in my email that they sent, hope this helps

I did. I think it means we're second on the priority list of non-low waitlisted students (i.e. there is a "first string" and "second string" of non-low waitlisted students, we're the second string)
This is just an assumption on my part.
I don't disagree but the low wait listed also had 2 in the e-mail, which should then technically be 3. I wouldn't have read much into the number until...

I did not have a "2" in my email that they sent, hope this helps
...this lead me to wonder: I guess the bigger question is, who was wait listed and didn't have a number in their e-mail?

Well finally heard back and I'm on the waitlist too. Mine had a 2 on the subject line.

Have you taken the MCAT? I'm thinking the (2) might be correlated to people who do not have an MCAT score to provide (giving them a lower position on the admissions priority totem pole).

Have you taken the MCAT? I'm thinking the (2) might be correlated to people who do not have an MCAT score to provide (giving them a lower position on the admissions priority totem pole).
Definitely not it. Ilustrisimo08 took the MCAT and was wait listed with a 2 in the e-mail subject.

I've taken the mcat. Inside the email it said "wait list" in red.

Has anyone heard anything from admissions since Ryanc6060 was accepted from the wait list (or do alumni have any insight as to the likelihood of being accepted off the wait list at this point)??
I have been accepted to 2 other grad programs but am pushing acceptance/deposit deadlines as much as possible in an effort to give myself more time to hear back from this program (as it is my first preference)...

Has anyone heard anything from admissions since Ryanc6060 was accepted from the wait list (or do alumni have any insight as to the likelihood of being accepted off the wait list at this point)??
I have been accepted to 2 other grad programs but am pushing acceptance/deposit deadlines as much as possible in an effort to give myself more time to hear back from this program (as it is my first preference)...

Email Dr. Miller. You can ask him how many students have been accepted and of those, how many responded positively to their invitation.
[email protected]

I got an email with an update on the waitlist today. Did anyone else? Mine had a #1 on it.

I got an email with an update on the waitlist today. Did anyone else? Mine had a #1 on it.
I received the same email-also with a #1 in the subject line. I believe the #1 is just in reference to the second to last line of the email which states, "you should receive my final update around the first week of August if you are not offered a seat before then."

Mine had a #1 also, but I attributed it to being the response to my first waitlist inquiry.

#1 corresponds to the number of updates. This was his first of two updates. I just hope they hurry the hell up.

#1 corresponds to the number of updates. This was his first of two updates. I just hope they hurry the hell up.
I notice you just joined today so you haven't been accounted in the "SDN wait list count" so far. Are you on the "low" wait list or the regular one? If you're on the regular one, then there are over ten people on the regular wait list out of SDN members alone.
This is ridiculous of the program to do considering there are only 15 seats. They're giving too many people false hope.

I notice you just joined today so you haven't been accounted in the "SDN wait list count" so far. Are you on the "low" wait list or the regular one? If you're on the regular one, then there are over ten people on the regular wait list out of SDN members alone.
This is ridiculous of the program to do considering there are only 15 seats. They're giving too many people false hope.
I am on the high list.. I don't know what regular is. There is a high and a low I think, and yes, I agree with you that the program gives too much of a false hope. However, from a business standpoint, it is understandable. They just don't want people to drop, so they make sure every seat in the cohort is completely occupied. It is private school, so these things become more of a concern for them than their counterpart public sectors.

Last edited:
I am on the high list.. I don't know what regular is. There is a high and a low I think, and yes, I agree with you that the program gives too much of a false hope. However, from a business standpoint, it is understandable. They just don't want people to drop, so they make sure every seat in the cohort is completely occupied. It is private school, so these things become more of a concern for them than their counterpart public sectors.
By "regular" I mean that your email doesn't explicitly state "high" before the word waitlist whereas the low waitlist explicitly states "low." True, makes sense from a business standpoint, but they could provide your position on the waitlist so that someone who is number 25 could come up with a different plan and someone who is 2 could look into living arrangements near the school. But alas, nothing we can do about it. It is what it is.

I disagree. They're not giving anyone false hope. All they're telling you is that you're on a wait list and you have a chance. It's the prospects who give themselves false hopes. You're essentially in a lottery now. So, if you buy a lotto ticket, you obviously have a chance to win, but it's not like the lottery commission is giving you this "false hope." People imagine their lives with all this money and what they would do with it if they won, and when they (almost) inevitably don't win, they feel like a dream has been taken away from them or something. It's crazy. All they can tell is you have a chance because you have a ticket. Likewise, all Touro can tell you is you have a chance to get in because you're on the wait list. For all we know, they don't even assign numbers to the prospects and it's a fluid wait list where they consider the people who have accepted seats, reassess the wait list applications and then accept people on the idea of balancing out the class. If you want to roll the dice (especially if you have another offer) and get your hopes up, then it's not really Touro's fault if things don't work out. Personally, I'm moving on with my life and preparing for the 2015 application cycle. If I get in, great. If I don't, then at least I will have taken the steps necessary to strengthen my application for next year rather than just wait with bated breath.

True, makes sense from a business standpoint, but they could provide your position on the waitlist so that someone who is number 25 could come up with a different plan and someone who is 2 could look into living arrangements near the school. But alas, nothing we can do about it. It is what it is.
#2 still doesn't mean anything. If you pulled the trigger on an apartment because they said you're next in line and you didn't get in, that's way worse than not telling you nothing. Then, I would say they're a little more liable for getting your hopes up. To refer back to the lottery analogy, that's like telling a person they have five of six numbers already, then that person quits his/her job because they only need one more number to win it all. You can't count your chickens before they hatch.

I disagree. They're not giving anyone false hope. All they're telling you is that you're on a wait list and you have a chance. It's the prospects who give themselves false hopes. You're essentially in a lottery now. So, if you buy a lotto ticket, you obviously have a chance to win, but it's not like the lottery commission is giving you this "false hope." People imagine their lives with all this money and what they would do with it if they won, and when they (almost) inevitably don't win, they feel like a dream has been taken away from them or something. It's crazy. All they can tell is you have a chance because you have a ticket. Likewise, all Touro can tell you is you have a chance to get in because you're on the wait list. For all we know, they don't even assign numbers to the prospects and it's a fluid wait list where they consider the people who have accepted seats, reassess the wait list applications and then accept people on the idea of balancing out the class. If you want to roll the dice (especially if you have another offer) and get your hopes up, then it's not really Touro's fault if things don't work out. Personally, I'm moving on with my life and preparing for the 2015 application cycle. If I get in, great. If I don't, then at least I will have taken the steps necessary to strengthen my application for next year rather than just wait with bated breath.

#2 still doesn't mean anything. If you pulled the trigger on an apartment because they said you're next in line and you didn't get in, that's way worse than not telling you nothing. Then, I would say they're a little more liable for getting your hopes up. To refer back to the lottery analogy, that's like telling a person they have five of six numbers already, then that person quits his/her job because they only need one more number to win it all. You can't count your chickens before they hatch.
Lottery? How does it resemble lottery in any sense at all? Sorry, but makes no sense. Waitlist is a clear cut process and no, its not fluid. I asked them that. when accepted people deny admission within their 48 hour time span, they start accepting from the person #1 on the list... which they have. It is more like standing in line in disney land waiting for your ride. :). Sarah, believe me, I am in the same situation. Coming from outside of California, it is even more difficult for me bc not only I have to be on top of my preparation, but have to make sure all my priorities are in order ( finances, etc) the moment they let me know. But, don't stress, Im sure if that comes to pass we both will be able to handle it very well. Cheers.

Yeah, it's like standing in line at Disneyland. While blindfolded. When it's closing. And the person in front of you and the person behind you is out of arm's reach. In a lottery, no one has an advantage over anyone else (unless they bought multiple tickets, but that doesn't fit in the analogy) and selection is random. If you read through the thread, for example, there is a person with a 3.1 GPA and a person with the 3.6 GPA. Now, traditionally, you'd think the person with the 3.6 has the advantage, but actually the person with the 3.1 GPA is on the regular wait list and the person with the 3.6 is on the low wait list. We don't know every applicant's story or what the admissions committee is looking for, so to us, the selection process is random. You--or they--say the positions are finalized, but it's still a lottery because you don't know your position. If you're near the front of a line, it's worth waiting because you know it will be your turn soon. If you're in the back, you know that since the park is closing, you're probably not going to get on the ride so you may as well leave and go on another ride, or just do something more worthwhile than wait in a line. But for this wait list, no one knows their position so no one has an advantage (or at least not one they know about).