Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooooo, how is the year going?
After all the flak this school got, I'm hoping to hear some good things coming from here (with the expected growing pains of being a new school).
Personally I would say things are under control… 3rd floor which is designed for clinical use is under construction, even during exam...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So is it strictly didactic? Any waxing or sim?
T/Th: operative dentistry lecture and lab in the morning(prep&filling); dental anatomy lab in the afternoon(waxing)
MWF are for basic sciences so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So is it strictly didactic? Any waxing or sim?

The preclinic lab is complete and we've been doing crown preps, waxing, cavity preparations, and composite fillings with plastic teeth. The floor below this is under construction still and will contain the actual clinic.

We just made a mannequin challenge video in the preclinic so you can see it. Unfortunately, it was dark out and so the windows just look like mirrors, but we have a great view.

The preclinic lab is complete and we've been doing crown preps, waxing, cavity preparations, and composite fillings with plastic teeth. The floor below this is under construction still and will contain the actual clinic.

We just made a mannequin challenge video in the preclinic so you can see it. Unfortunately, it was dark out and so the windows just look like mirrors, but we have a great view.

Very nice preclinic lab!
Well, I hope the program is going well for everyone and you are all getting some great training.

Good luck!

Does anyone in here mind sharing what made you decide to attend Touro? I have an interview coming up and I want to know the first year students perspective.

Does anyone in here mind sharing what made you decide to attend Touro? I have an interview coming up and I want to know the first year students perspective.
"it was my only acceptance" might be a popular answer

Reactions: 4 users

From my conversations, people liked the area and new facilities they have. They don't offer specialties which was a downside but people i talked to said they wanted to be the "trendsetters" for the school by being the first inaugral class etc

Having had a couple of acceptances I'll copy and paste a post I made on another thread here :) :

Touro's avg gpa for the entering class last year was around 3.4 and dat in the 20s. They were just trying to establish their first class last year, but I'd say those stats are still pretty competitive and similar to those of other schools. Plenty of people at my interview this year had very high gpas and dat scores and were intent on attending the school. It has everything NYU has to offer plus more (at least in my opinion). Short train ride into the city. Cheaper tuition. Cheaper cost of living. Smaller class size. A distinguished faculty. NY Med also has an incredible reputation. Sure it's a new dental school, but the people leading it know what they're doing. If you ever have the luxury of speaking with those people, you'll understand that :)

Their stats are more competitive than plenty of established schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Having had a couple of acceptances I'll copy and paste a post I made on another thread here :) :

Touro's avg gpa for the entering class last year was around 3.4 and dat in the 20s. They were just trying to establish their first class last year, but I'd say those stats are still pretty competitive and similar to those of other schools. Plenty of people at my interview this year had very high gpas and dat scores and were intent on attending the school. It has everything NYU has to offer plus more (at least in my opinion). Short train ride into the city. Cheaper tuition. Cheaper cost of living. Smaller class size. A distinguished faculty. NY Med also has an incredible reputation. Sure it's a new dental school, but the people leading it know what they're doing. If you ever have the luxury of speaking with those people, you'll understand that :)
I agree with you that in many respects. I'm sure it's a fine school and will prepare the students well. I have no doubt the faculty is excellent and the equipment is high quality (not to mention brand new).
I do disagree that it has more to offer than NYU though. NYU'S network is extensive, as well as the fact that it has PG faculty. I think this is big. I also understand this is your opinion.
Not trying to discount Touro in any way at all. If this is where you decide to attend, I have no doubts you will come out an excellent doctor.

Hi, I interviewed at Touro and i'm wondering if by any chance anyone knows based on the first class that just started- after the interview,how common is it to either get flat out rejected or be Waitlisted? For instance, NYU tends to waitlist interviewees rather than flat out reject after interview. Is there any sort of pattern Touro has with this? Do they tend to waitlist many of their interviewees or are straight up rejections after interview just as common?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I interviewed at Touro and i'm wondering if by any chance anyone knows based on the first class that just started- after the interview,how common is it to either get flat out rejected or be Waitlisted? For instance, NYU tends to waitlist interviewees rather than flat out reject after interview. Is there any sort of pattern Touro has with this? Do they tend to waitlist many of their interviewees or are straight up rejections after interview just as common?
I don't believe Touro flat out reject after interviews because it is an extremely new dental school. I would assume some applicants, if not MOST, would rather go to other dental schools. I haven't heard of any of my friends getting flat out rejected. If you recently interviewed this January, then it is going to take about 4-6 weeks to get back to you. Interviewees in November and December got back a lot sooner.

I've heard of both, but it seems like getting waitlisted is more common.

Does anyone know if touro ranks their waitlist or have any system or any basis by which they offer acceptances to those who are Waitlisted?

Does anyone know if touro ranks their waitlist or have any system or any basis by which they offer acceptances to those who are Waitlisted?
I know you're worried but honestly you're just making yourself too anxious. Like I've mentioned it took me a month to hear from them. Until you're waitlisted, there's no use wondering how they rank it. Just wait to get a decision and once you know you can contact the admissions to ask. They're always really nice.

I just got waitlisted at touro but I am really interested in the school. Does anyone know anything about how their waitlist process works? Is it ranked on any basis? They say they re-review applicants continuously until the start of classes, but i'm wondering if the movement can start any time or is it more common around April or so? If there's anyone who has experience with touro's waitlist could let me know about this that would be very helpful!

How Far Away Touro from Manhattan? can I go there using the subway!

How Far Away Touro from Manhattan? can I go there using the subway!

You have to take the metronorth. To white plains and then you have to cab/uber/train to the school. A total of an hour and 30 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you that in many respects. I'm sure it's a fine school and will prepare the students well. I have no doubt the faculty is excellent and the equipment is high quality (not to mention brand new).
I do disagree that it has more to offer than NYU though. NYU'S network is extensive, as well as the fact that it has PG faculty. I think this is big. I also understand this is your opinion.
Not trying to discount Touro in any way at all. If this is where you decide to attend, I have no doubts you will come out an excellent doctor.

TCDM has extensive networking opportunities..especially for residencies and specialties. You get strong and well developed relationships with your faculty who are more than happy to write letters of recommendations in the future. The pre-clinic faculty as well as the deans all have connections.

TCDM has extensive networking opportunities..especially for residencies and specialties. You get strong and well developed relationships with your faculty who are more than happy to write letters of recommendations in the future. The pre-clinic faculty as well as the deans all have connections.
I do not disagree.