Touro College of Dental Medicine - New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interview yet?
I'm interviewing Monday, pretty nervous. :eek:
Dont be! How do you know if you got interviewed by which means of communication?

Members don't see this ad.

This school will just increase the saturation in cities such as New York. If new schools really want to increase the accessibility to dental care, they should put schools in states where there aren't any yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
This school will just increase the saturation in cities such as New York. If new schools really want to increase the accessibility to dental care, they should put schools in states where there aren't any yet.
It's all about the $$$

Applicants, are you worried about not receiving grad+ loans? From what I understand your first year you wont qualify for grad+ loans since it is not accredited

i think because there wouldn't be much patient for clinical experiences???

Applicants, are you worried about not receiving grad+ loans? From what I understand your first year you wont qualify for grad+ loans since it is not accredited

i think they do have loans. otherwise nobody can attend.

Academic update sent out on 1/23 application complete on 1/13. I haven't heard anything yet does anyone know if that's good or bad?

Academic update sent out on 1/23 application complete on 1/13. I haven't heard anything yet does anyone know if that's good or bad?
Same, mine has been complete since the 18th and nothing yet... maybe they didn't like me haha

i think because there wouldn't be much patient for clinical experiences???

i think they do have loans. otherwise nobody can attend.

Dont think that addresses my point. I didnt say you wouldnt get any loans, just that you wouldnt get grad+ loans (federal). If im correct this is a reasonable concern

Dont think that addresses my point. I didnt say you wouldnt get any loans, just that you wouldnt get grad+ loans (federal). If im correct this is a reasonable concern

wouldn't school with initial accreditation get federal loan. i know lecom did. anyone know?

I will be interviewing February 24th. Anyone else going to be there?

Reactions: 1 users
I recently applied. Curriculum looks good and seems like clinic will be good too. hoping for good news. anyone have more info on this school?

anyone who recently interviewed would like to share their impressions?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have been interviewed at the school already, I would like to know what the school was like. I read all of the posts on this thread with popcorns and coke in my lap, and now I am curious...

Hi guys,
I received an email for an invitation to interview at the school. They gave me a number to call to schedule the date but I can never seem to reach the person in charge. It's been about a week and I've called pretty much everyday. I left messages and I also called the school's main desk for help. They said that they'll notify the person in charge and will get back to me within one day. Still nothing..... Has anyone else ran into this problem?:(:(

How was your interview? Did you like the school? I have an interview on the 24th.
It went well, very relaxed interview although I have no reference since it was my first interview. Location is nice, plenty of mountain views total opposite of city life. I'm from NY so i'd love to stay away from the city as much as possible. If you want a city life experience you definitely want to choose NYU.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah interview here was pretty cool. The clinic isn't built yet but we were given a tour around the couple different buildings. A lot of the faculty are OMFS and alot seem like they've been around the block and have loads of experience. They all seem like they are very enthusiastic about the school. My one on one interview was a joy tbh. The guy was super down to earth and realistic about dentistry and its future. In a few years I can see this becoming a great school

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah interview here was pretty cool. The clinic isn't built yet but we were given a tour around the couple different buildings. A lot of the faculty are OMFS and alot seem like they've been around the block and have loads of experience. They all seem like they are very enthusiastic about the school. My one on one interview was a joy tbh. The guy was super down to earth and realistic about dentistry and its future. In a few years I can see this becoming a great school
That's cool a lot of the faculty are omfs. I'm sure they have some gnarly stories if they are attendings at westchester medical center (level 1 trauma).

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the application to be reviewed by the committee after the status change in the portal to application complete/received?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
I received an email for an invitation to interview at the school. They gave me a number to call to schedule the date but I can never seem to reach the person in charge. It's been about a week and I've called pretty much everyday. I left messages and I also called the school's main desk for help. They said that they'll notify the person in charge and will get back to me within one day. Still nothing..... Has anyone else ran into this problem?:(:(
I did yesterday and I left a voicemail too. Today someone finally picked up when I called in and I have an interview pretty late on March 23rd.

It went well, very relaxed interview although I have no reference since it was my first interview. Location is nice, plenty of mountain views total opposite of city life. I'm from NY so i'd love to stay away from the city as much as possible. If you want a city life experience you definitely want to choose NYU.

Mountain views you say? That's very appealing to me...

Can you tell me more about your experience at the school itself? What did they tell you about the program? Anything about graduation requirements?

How long did it take for them to contact you about an interview after your application said "completed"?

Can you tell me more about your experience at the school itself? What did they tell you about the program? Anything about graduation requirements?
My experience on interview day was exactly as described by Pocketrocket. Faculty seems so enthusiastic about starting their positions at the school. You can view their curriculum on their site. I'm not sure about specific graduation requirements, I'm assuming everything is standard in that regards.

I did yesterday and I left a voicemail too. Today someone finally picked up when I called in and I have an interview pretty late on March 23rd.

Me too. Finally was able to schedule my interview on March 23. Good luck to you!

People who got an interview can you please tell us your stats? Also what is the admissions office number for Touro?

Last edited:
Tooth knockn, you're one of the characters on SDN I appreciate more than others, but sometimes you make me to believe you went to college online in your pajamas...

omg
super lol

I actually see what you mean !!! . . . But no !!!!

;-)

So do you think that they should get accreditiion by the state soon?
After speaking with the doctors after my interview which was like a month ago. I believe they were aiming to get accreditiion by beginning of March and then send letter of acceptances and rejections after that.

After speaking with the doctors after my interview which was like a month ago. I believe they were aiming to get accreditiion by beginning of March and then send letter of acceptances and rejections after that.
Are they still interviewing? I just applied in January, so I don't know how long it takes for them to get back.

Hey everyone. I schegeduled interview this week for March 25. Super nervous. Any advice for the interview date? Should I expect an open file interview. I applied very late this cycle and this is my only chance. If anyone can be helpful, I ll appreciate it. Thanx

there are no mountain views from Valhalla

The surrounding towns are cute though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
End federal student loans. That is the root cause of saturation.

Money is supposed to function as a limiting factor. When fedgov provides unlimited, non-secured, non-underwritten loan money to anyone seeking a dental education, however, that limiting factor is removed. It's essentially what would happen if there were an unlimited supply of pigeon feed in Central Park. The pigeons aren't the students, however, they are the schools.

The availability of unlimited loan money creates an irresistible temptation on institutions of higher ed to grow--whether it's existing dental schools expanding or new dental schools opening up...as long as there is no limit to the amount of money pushed out by the federal government in the form of guaranteed loans, dentistry will continue to grow. It will never, ever stop, until another limiting factor is encountered.

Another potential limiting factor is the talent pool--the number of people in the population capable of mastering the sciences to the degree required for success in dentistry. With the temptation of unlimited money at stake, however, it is inevitable that you will see that limiting factor tampered with by schools as well, in the form of lowered admissions standards, with endless rationalizations, justifications, and outright apathy towards the long-term effects on the profession offered up. The talent pool for traditional dentistry is already tapped...this is why new schools always have lower GPA and DAT medians than established schools. They are digging deeper into the murk at the bottom of the barrel.

You can see that at the root of it all is federal student loans. They must be done away with or we are doomed. (If you want to get really philosophical you could say that fiat money is the real root cause--but that's a much wider discussion)

In my mind, the problem is not just the availability of loans, but the willingness of people, who want to become dentists so badly because they "can't imagine doing anything else", trying to try and get accepted somewhere that will put them $400K in debt. Yes, federal loans enable these people to attend school, and schools are just going to rack up tuition because they know they can get away with it, but until people stop lining up in droves to take seats at expensive schools it's not going to stop. I could maybe advocate for the dismantling of GRAD PLUS, but that's about it, and it still would have some detrimental effects.

You're not wrong, but I think you're underestimating the consequences of removing all federal loans

A good response.

ALSO, guys, take it further than just dental- what about the countless other students pursuing programs in medicine, optometry, or just college...MANY of them need federal student loans.

If you kill federal student loans, you are really disrupting our national economy since we won't be able to produce a skilled workforce of the size needed to keep our country moving forward.

I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying, but what I'm telling you is that taking away all federal loans significantly limits the number of people able to attend dental school, which hurts the talent pool more than new schools that lower the admissions standard (I agree this is a problem that can somewhat be attributed to the availability of loans).

I got a 25 AA. I graduated Cum Laude from a pretty decent school's Honors Program (UConn) in three years. I feel like I'm a decent dental school applicant. I sure as hell would not be pursuing dentistry if not for the un-subsisized Stafford. My parents and I don't have $180K lying around to drop on my education. There are thousands of people just like me, who will be entering dental school next year, who would not be able to if not for the un-subsidized Stafford loans. I'm not disadvantaged by any means, but paying out of pocket just isn't an option. You don't have to be from a poor family to not be able to afford to do so. If you took them away, not enough qualified applicants would be able to attend school, and all the people from wealthy families who otherwise would not have gotten in anywhere would be the only ones left who apply.

The military and NHSC can only give away so many scholarships. No federal loans would weaken the talent pool by a much greater magnitude than pretty much anything else.

Is the availability of loans driving up tuition costs? Yes. Private schools can get away with murder because they know people are going to get Grad PLUS and go there anyway. Does this contribute to saturation? Yes. Private school debt burden also fuels corporate and the distribution of dentists away from populations that need them most.

In my mind, the problem is not just the availability of loans, but the willingness of people, who want to become dentists so badly because they "can't imagine doing anything else", trying to try and get accepted somewhere that will put them $400K in debt. Yes, federal loans enable these people to attend school, and schools are just going to rack up tuition because they know they can get away with it, but until people stop lining up in droves to take seats at expensive schools it's not going to stop. I could maybe advocate for the dismantling of GRAD PLUS, but that's about it, and it still would have some detrimental effects.

I'm not arguing that the current system of federal loans is okay; I'm just saying it's better than the alternative. We do away with it next cycle, and what do we get? We get 300 (maybe? Just a rough estimate) people attending dental school on a military scholarship, and 11,700 rich kids who can pay out of pocket. Some will be qualified by this cycle's standards, most will be not. The quality of the applicant pool suffers and is dictated by who can afford to go to school, and bad, bad things will happen.

You're not wrong, but I think you're underestimating the consequences of removing all federal loans

I'd be happy with eliminating the grad plus loan as a start. Whatever is done, the business model for loans of "pick a dental school, find out how much it costs, and then that's how much you get to borrow" has to end; because as you noted this causes tuition to go up without limit, and people don't care beacuse they can just borrow more, perpetuating an endless cycle. Perhaps maximum loan amounts should be a function of median starting salary. As the market becomes saturated and median starting salaries decline, so too does the maximum loan approval.

I'd be happy with eliminating the grad plus loan as a start. Whatever is done, the business model for loans of "pick a dental school, find out how much it costs, and then that's how much you get to borrow" has to end; because as you noted this causes tuition to go up without limit, and people don't care beacuse they can just borrow more, perpetuating an endless cycle. Perhaps maximum loan amounts should be a function of median starting salary. As the market becomes saturated and median starting salaries decline, so too does the maximum loan approval.
Federal loans aren't going away. End of story.