Trauma Labs/Universities/Mentors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUPsychStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm in the beginning phases of applying for clinical Ph.D. programs this fall and was hoping to gain some advice and recommendations on possible mentors and labs.

My interest lies in the trauma and I would like to specialize with human trafficking victims, victims of rape/assault, and PTSD. Furthermore, I'm also interested in emotion displays, psychophysiology measures, emotion regulation, and anxiety that results from trauma.

Given the specificity of human trafficking, I've received some comments in a previous post recommending that I expand the net to PTSD/sexual assault & trauma programs. I believe this is a GREAT idea and wanted to get advice on some great mentors/labs for these interests.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I'm in the beginning phases of applying for clinical Ph.D. programs this fall and was hoping to gain some advice and recommendations on possible mentors and labs.

My interest lies in the trauma and I would like to specialize with human trafficking victims, victims of rape/assault, and PTSD. Furthermore, I'm also interested in emotion displays, psychophysiology measures, emotion regulation, and anxiety that results from trauma.

Given the specificity of human trafficking, I've received some comments in a previous post recommending that I expand the net to PTSD/sexual assault & trauma programs. I believe this is a GREAT idea and wanted to get advice on some great mentors/labs for these interests.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

You might want to check out George Bonnano from Teachers College, Columbia University. I'm not sure if he studies human trafficking specficially, but he does all of his work on trauma, loss and PTSD (ex. PTSD in 9/11 survivors etc.)He is a GREAT guy (a little corky at times ;) haha). If youre trying to get in touch with him before you apply though be patient, he just got promoted to head of the department this past year and is a very busy man (even as a TC student it was always a little difficult to find him unless it was before/after class).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said on your other post, Craske at UCLA

PsychAndMusic-
Bonnano is actually my #1! Have you worked with him?

JEXA-
That post is actually how I found this network. Thank you for the recommendations