Tricky LOR situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tunaktunak

Reaction score
[Answered]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just curious -- what made you Google the name now, AFTER working closely with him for presumably many months? If you're worried about other people doing the same, then clearly it's something you'll want to avoid, but I'm not sure how common it is for people to do that with LOR writers. On the other hand, if it's something people know about ... You applied this cycle without it -- do you really think you need it?

Just curious -- what made you Google the name now, AFTER working closely with him for presumably many months? If you're worried about other people doing the same, then clearly it's something you'll want to avoid, but I'm not sure how common it is for people to do that with LOR writers. On the other hand, if it's something people know about ... You applied this cycle without it -- do you really think you need it?
I didn't really think to Google him at first, since I was mainly focused on my clinical job. As the cycle progressed with no acceptances, however, then only did I think of getting new LOR's, since that's one area that I think I can improve (by getting strong letters this time). So I just searched him up recently to see if he had a troubled past just in case AdComs look him up, and looks like he did. :/

I mean I don't absolutely need it, but having a really strong LOR from a physician is something I lacked this cycle (I had a physician letter, but I think it was weak), so I was thinking to improve in that sense in case I need to reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't really think to Google him at first, since I was mainly focused on my clinical job. As the cycle progressed with no acceptances, however, then only did I think of getting new LOR's, since that's one area that I think I can improve (by getting strong letters this time). So I just searched him up recently to see if he had a troubled past just in case AdComs look him up, and looks like he did. :/

I mean I don't absolutely need it, but having a really strong LOR from a physician is something I lacked this cycle (I had a physician letter, but I think it was weak), so I was thinking to improve in that sense in case I need to reapply.
Hopefully people with experience reading LORs as part of the review process will weigh in on whether they do what you did with respect to Google, and then your answer will be obvious. Needless to say, it will suck if you have to lose a great LOR over this. My gut tells me you should be fine, unless it's a Jeffrey Epstein/Harvey Weinstein deal in terms of publicity and notoriety