Tufts vs BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docMaine

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone do a comparison of these two Boston Schools for me? I know that BU is rated higher than Tufts but both seem comparable other than that. Does anyone have strong opinions on one over the other or insight on major differences?

Members don't see this ad.

If CoA comes out similar between the two I'd go with BU. In terms of research BU definitely has much more opportunities than Tufts. Also BMC being basically attached to BU is a plus as well. Aside from that though I'd agree they're pretty similar.

Reactions: 1 user
I will start by saying I'm biased as I got the A from Tufts and R from BU; however, I don't think there's really a tangible difference here. I'd say big picture, these schools are interchangeable, though BU might have the edge in terms of research. Also, Tufts incorporates into its mission a focus on serving underserved populations. I do not believe BU does, which makes sense since I feel a focus on research vs public health tends to have an inverse relationship. I think you should absolutely take the cheaper option. If cost isn't the deciding factor, then perhaps you get more nuanced and compare which curriculum u like more, what you thought of the student body (personally, I've consistently heard Tufts is very laid back and the students there are happy) etc. Big picture-wise I give BU a slight edge due to more ongoing research, but go Tufts if you want a focus on public health integrated into your training. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider the cost and proximity to friends and family, among other factors. It's hard to help without more information.

I will start by saying I'm biased as I got the A from Tufts and R from BU; however, I don't think there's really a tangible difference here. I'd say big picture, these schools are interchangeable, though BU might have the edge in terms of research. Also, Tufts incorporates into its mission a focus on serving underserved populations. I do not believe BU does, which makes sense since I feel a focus on research vs public health tends to have an inverse relationship. I think you should absolutely take the cheaper option. If cost isn't the deciding factor, then perhaps you get more nuanced and compare which curriculum u like more, what you thought of the student body (personally, I've consistently heard Tufts is very laid back and the students there are happy) etc. Big picture-wise I give BU a slight edge due to more ongoing research, but go Tufts if you want a focus on public health integrated into your training. Best of luck!
BU has a huge emphasis on working with the underserved. BMC is the biggest safety net hospital in the area.

I'd personally go BU if all else was equal since I think they have a slight name recognition / clout edge and research opps, but I doubt it would make a big difference either way.

Reactions: 1 users
BU's mission is super focused on serving the local community and underserved populations. It's in their mission statement and emphasized during their information sessions. Not sure if that helps at all - just some clarifying info :)