Two internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear of people doing an osteopathic internship and then doing an allopathic PGYI? I know this sounds insane, but it's crossed my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I've run across a few people who have done it. I'm sure it's no fun being intern 2 times, but the interns I encountered who had done osteo first were fantastic - they came across so much more competant and bright than their peers.

kcrd said:
I've run across a few people who have done it. I'm sure it's no fun being intern 2 times, but the interns I encountered who had done osteo first were fantastic - they came across so much more competant and bright than their peers.

That's what I figured. I would assume that would make you stand out more when you entered the allopathic program, which would lead to other opportunities. Yeah, it's a year and yeah that sucks, but it kinda makes sense...since I have NO IDEA what I wanna do when I grow up!

Members don't see this ad :)
kcrd said:

I'd hope that some douche that has already done 1 residency would come across as competent

Chris's patient said:
I'd hope that some douche that has already done 1 residency would come across as competent

That's one way of looking at it! :laugh:

Chris's patient said:

LMAO

Folks I've met have done the osteo year (for various reasons) and then applied to categorical allo programs. Reasoning: More spots available vs advanced positions.

We've had a couple here do just that. One was a great intern, the other I frankly was suprised when I realized he'd already done his rotating internship and had a year experience under his belt.

I've seen this a lot, having done all my med school rotations in PA (one of the "five states"). In some specialties the osteopathic internship does not count as the PGY-1 year (I have mostly seen this in surgery residencies) so the DO surgery residents I met were interns twice. At least internship would be easier the second time around! :)

Chris's patient said:

LOL!!!!!

DOtobe said:
I've seen this a lot, having done all my med school rotations in PA (one of the "five states"). In some specialties the osteopathic internship does not count as the PGY-1 year (I have mostly seen this in surgery residencies) so the DO surgery residents I met were interns twice. At least internship would be easier the second time around! :)

What are the "five states" and what rules of internship/residency does this issue refer to?

Let's see if I can remember the five...
Pennsylvania, Florida...and 3 more.

In these 5 states you have to do an AOA approved internship to be licensed as a DO.

Edit: the other three are Michigan, Oklahoma, and West Virginia.