Two job offers, need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adviceplease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've just received two verbal job offers from two different inpatient pharmacies and am absolutely TORN.

One is a small city hospital, mostly psych and ED The pharmacy is small and the staff seems SO nice. Everyone was so sweet and really friendly and I feel like I would be really happy. The director of pharmacy verbally offered me a job, but HR still hasn't sent me a letter.

The other is a larger private hospital, I would travel between two locations and there are surgical, cardio, and oncology units. These two hospitals need a lot of help since they are so much bigger so I would get A LOT of hours. HR offered me the job and gave me a salary.

I asked for more time to think since the city hospital is my dream job, but the private hospital won't hold the job for me for long.

Is a verbal offer legit? Can I depend on the city hospital even without a letter or salary?

I'm new to SDN, but any advice would be good.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want the hospital in the big city, then tell them that you are very interested and ask what the next step is. The verbal offer from DOP is very good, but they can always come back and tell you that they didn't get the budget approved for the position or whatever. I would let them know that you have another offer, but would rather work for them instead. .

Members don't see this ad :)
There is insufficient info:

(1) You need salary/benefits package info from both for comparison.
(2) what's your area of interest? Which job suits you better.
(3) how to the the job description and probability of upward movement compare?
(4) location, location, location. Which one's better for you?
(5) security/safety. Which job is more secure? Which area has other places you can apply for job if you get laid off. If you are married, which are is easier for your spouse to get a job...
(6) other things that matters to you

Rank the importance of each, assign a point scale, get the needed info, to an objective analysis and there should be your answer.

So I've just received two verbal job offers from two different inpatient pharmacies and am absolutely TORN.

One is a small city hospital, mostly psych and ED The pharmacy is small and the staff seems SO nice. Everyone was so sweet and really friendly and I feel like I would be really happy. The director of pharmacy verbally offered me a job, but HR still hasn't sent me a letter.

The other is a larger private hospital, I would travel between two locations and there are surgical, cardio, and oncology units. These two hospitals need a lot of help since they are so much bigger so I would get A LOT of hours. HR offered me the job and gave me a salary.

I asked for more time to think since the city hospital is my dream job, but the private hospital won't hold the job for me for long.

Is a verbal offer legit? Can I depend on the city hospital even without a letter or salary?

I'm new to SDN, but any advice would be good.

Verbal job offers?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: My previous director was funny. Everytime we had a student coming in for rotation, he promised them a verbal job offer, too. Well, you know, none of them worked out....unfortunately.:thumbdown:

Verbal job offers?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: My previous director was funny. Everytime we had a student coming in for rotation, he promised them a verbal job offer, too. Well, you know, none of them worked out....unfortunately.:thumbdown:

What pisses me off about hospitals and politics regarding hiring is how they have to open up hiring to the entire hospital and put out listings for it, conducting interviews, etc.

What pisses me off about hospitals and politics regarding hiring is how they have to open up hiring to the entire hospital and put out listings for it, conducting interviews, etc.

That's not politics, that's the opposite of politics. The point is that if someone wants to hire their nephew or friend with government money, they at least have to post the position to ensure there isn't someone supremely more competent available.

It does suck if that means it takes 6 months to hire someone you are ready for right away (like a VA research job I once applied for...) but it seems hard to argue against something when the purpose is to hire based on merit over nepotism.

But back to the OP, as others said you need to get the numbers and list your pros and cons, as with any big decision.

This is my biggest fear! The DOP made it seem like I would be starting soon, but HR says I won't receive a letter until Monday. The HR woman from the private hospital says she can't hold the job for me after Monday.

Thanks for the input, moissanite69.

I've made so many pro/con lists and I'm still 50/50. What is really getting me is that all the employees at the private hospital seem so unhappy. Whenever I'm in ED or X-Ray or even getting blood drawn, all their employees are arguing and upset. The employees at the city hospital seem much happier and more willing to help. The private hospital will most likely offer me more hours and better job security (they're really short help, are open 24/7 etc), but I'm not sure I'll even want to be there long-term with such a hostile work environment.

I would talk to HR at the city hospital and see what they have to say.

I would choose the better working environment every time. The pay would have to be much better to consider a place that even from your first impression is unappealing. That is what made me hate where I was an intern (huge hospital, everyone gave the impression that they hated their job, crabby constantly) and sold me on where I work now. I agree with calling HR.