UMDNJ and Out of State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was reading some stats for the entering class of 03-04 that UMDNJ only accepted 2 out of staters. I am from NY and was thinking of applying there for the 2007 cycle, does anyone know how much truth there is to this and what my chances would be of getting in being from NY??? Like if they are more favorable to slightly out of staters. I don't want to waste my time and money if I dont have a shot in hell.
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Indie said:
Hey everyone, I was reading some stats for the entering class of 03-04 that UMDNJ only accepted 2 out of staters. I am from NY and was thinking of applying there for the 2007 cycle, does anyone know how much truth there is to this and what my chances would be of getting in being from NY??? Like if they are more favorable to slightly out of staters. I don't want to waste my time and money if I dont have a shot in hell.
Thanks...

Not much truth to it. I am a California resident. UMDNJ accepted me on Dec 1st. You should definitely apply to UMDNJ since you're from NY. It's a good school.

There are only two out of state students because most of them became in-state students for tuition purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to UMDNJ, and I'm from Florida. I decided it wasn't reasonable to go there after all, due to tuition purposes.

dexadental said:
I was accepted to UMDNJ, and I'm from Florida. I decided it wasn't reasonable to go there after all, due to tuition purposes.

huh?? but you're going to Nova (a private school).. which is much more $$$.

AS FAR AS OUT OF STATERS GOES.. They definitely do accept out of staters.. At my interview, there were probably 3 new jerseyans there counting me. The other 15 were out of states (lotta californians for some reason).

Well I didn't really feel like living in Newark and paying all that money to be honest...you just can't beat Ft.Lauderdale, if its going to be the same price as UMDNJ, now can you?

dexadental said:
.. if its going to be the same price as UMDNJ,..

wrong assumption. UMDNJ is public; Nova is private. There is a big difference in tuition.

You should definitely apply, UMDNJ 2005-06 incoming class had 32 of 88 slots filled by out-state students.

Right assumption, I am from Florida...I am out of state, UMDNJ is basically private with regard to tuition and travel to and from home on breaks from school. Hence, I didn't want to go there.

Specifically, UMDNJ for me woul have cost $47,341.00 according to their estimate on the website. Now keep in mind I would be living in Newark for the next four years of my life. To me, that was not an attractive option. The school is great however, I would not of applied there if it didn't interest me (I have some remotely distant family living in New Jersey). Not bashing the school, just the out of state tuition.

The rule is as long as you move to NJ right before school starts you'll be considered a NJ resident. Thats why like all the students are. I am from NY and still live there, but I'm going to get in-state tuition for NJ since I'm moving to Newark in August right before I start UMDNJ...

rocco said:
The rule is as long as you move to NJ right before school starts you'll be considered a NJ resident. Thats why like all the students are. I am from NY and still live there, but I'm going to get in-state tuition for NJ since I'm moving to Newark in August right before I start UMDNJ...

I thought you had to live there for a year before being eligible to switch your residency to NJ...

dexadental said:
Specifically, UMDNJ for me woul have cost $47,341.00 according to their estimate on the website. Now keep in mind I would be living in Newark for the next four years of my life. To me, that was not an attractive option. The school is great however, I would not of applied there if it didn't interest me (I have some remotely distant family living in New Jersey). Not bashing the school, just the out of state tuition.

sucks for you, if you would have looked into it you could have moved to NJ early summer and est. residency and saved yourself 80+K instead of going to Nova

I don't think I'll be paying for Nova, I may do the navy route.

dexadental said:
I don't think I'll be paying for Nova, I may do the navy route.

Dude, I hate to be the one to break it to you like this, but UMDNJ would NOT cost you that much! I don't know if they explained it to you during the interview, but practically EVERYONE gets in-state status by first year. They were explaining to us during the tour how every student is in-state (even if they're from ca, fl, etc) becuase its VERY EASY to establish residency.

Coulda saved yourself a whole lot of $$$.

But you know what, theres no price tag on your happiness. And if FT. LAUTERDALE makes you happy, then good luck and have fun!

LOL, its Ft.Lauderdale, and yes, it does make me happier than Newark.