UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey - be happy you get to put a deposit down. Some people don't get that chance. :D

Yup I am extremely happy. And I sincerely wish the best for everyone else. It's just that UMDNJ is my absolute #1 choice, and I was just being a little sad haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup I am extremely happy. And I sincerely wish the best for everyone else. It's just that UMDNJ is my absolute #1 choice, and I was just being a little sad haha.

Where are you from in Jersey? North/Middle/South?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive their admissions packet yet? When are they sending them out?

i emailed them and i got a reply back saying that they are shipping them out today via UPS

For those of you with interview invites, would you mind sharing your stats? Also, did you guys get an email saying you were complete before getting an interview invite? I sent in my stuff via mail on 8/25, but haven't heard from them since then.

i emailed them and i got a reply back saying that they are shipping them out today via UPS

Hah, I was going to give them a call today about it but thought I'd check in here first. Thanks for calling & posting about it!

when you receive your packets, dont delay on turning them in. some of the paperwork can take a while, particular the health packets. get all your shots up to date and physical good to go.

when you receive your packets, dont delay on turning them in. some of the paperwork can take a while, particular the health packets. get all your shots up to date and physical good to go.

Ditto. Some kid lost his seat in the class because he didn't get his health paper work in on time.No lie

To anyone that knows -

How often does the admissions committee convene about decisions? How soon after an interview should a phone call/decision be expected? Thanks

I think its the third Friday of every month that they meet.

Just got my MCAT score: 24O (10 PS, 9 VR, 5 BS...I absolutely bombed the BS :( )

Should I even bother submitting my secondary (primary already verified and secondary prompt received).

sGPA: 3.20
cGPA: 3.35
Bio Major from NJ

LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's, 1 DO, 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing tomorrow. Anyone have any helpful description of how the interview process goes here? I'm so nervous. :(

I'm interviewing tomorrow. Anyone have any helpful description of how the interview process goes here? I'm so nervous. :(

The interview day is essentially just the interview. There is a tour done by some of the MS-1s and an MS-2, but if you've gone to the open house, you'll have already seen everything. I hope your interview is early - in the group I interviewed with, this one girl had to wait until 3:30 to interview! And she arrived at 11! :scared:

For me, the interview was a kind of high-stress compared to my other experiences elsewhere. But that's because they were focusing on weaknesses in my application. But there are many different types of interviewing tactics - it's important to remain calm, composed, and smiling. You're there for a reason - they like you!

Good luck.

The interview day is essentially just the interview. There is a tour done by some of the MS-1s and an MS-2, but if you've gone to the open house, you'll have already seen everything. I hope your interview is early - in the group I interviewed with, this one girl had to wait until 3:30 to interview! And she arrived at 11! :scared:

For me, the interview was a kind of high-stress compared to my other experiences elsewhere. But that's because they were focusing on weaknesses in my application. But there are many different types of interviewing tactics - it's important to remain calm, composed, and smiling. You're there for a reason - they like you!

Good luck.

Thank you! My friend just got back to me and told me that the interview was pretty relaxed for him, but he's a pretty laid back guy, haha. And geeze! 3:30? My interview is supposed to be at 11, too. Hope it doesn't end up taking that long...

Thanks again!

Just got my MCAT score: 24O (10 PS, 9 VR, 5 BS...I absolutely bombed the BS :( )

Should I even bother submitting my secondary (primary already verified and secondary prompt received).

sGPA: 3.20
cGPA: 3.35
Bio Major from NJ

LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's, 1 DO, 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about the BS section. I think it would be wise to hold off on applying this cycle. Most schools have a cut-off of anything under 7 on the MCAT so i think you should re-test and apply as a stronger candidate next year. Good luck!

Withdrawing my invite this week. Good luck everyone! Hope someone gets it!

This Friday's going to be a big day...Who's expecting a phone call Friday/Monday?

i was wondering if i had a semi-decent chance or no chance at all for getting an interview/potential acceptance here. its my first choice for medical school. I already submitted my secondary but havent heard anything as yet .. i actually applied last year and did not get in (I was really late in the application cycle and unfortunately my mcat was pretty terrible.. not that its that great now)

i think i have okay extra curriculars, but im worried about my gpa and mcat score

cumm GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.37
MCAT: 26P (7V 10B 9P)

i volunteer at an osteopathic hospital.. currently im working on my masters and also working in a lab. i also have a primary authorship publication that was published in 2010

i would really appreciate any advice from anyone about this.. and also am i late in the application process for umdnj?

i was wondering if i had a semi-decent chance or no chance at all for getting an interview/potential acceptance here. its my first choice for medical school. I already submitted my secondary but havent heard anything as yet .. i actually applied last year and did not get in (I was really late in the application cycle and unfortunately my mcat was pretty terrible.. not that its that great now)

i think i have okay extra curriculars, but im worried about my gpa and mcat score

cumm GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.37
MCAT: 26P (7V 10B 9P)

i volunteer at an osteopathic hospital.. currently im working on my masters and also working in a lab. i also have a primary authorship publication that was published in 2010

i would really appreciate any advice from anyone about this.. and also am i late in the application process for umdnj?

I would say if you are a NJ resident, definitely apply, but apply now. It is getting to be pretty late in the cycle, but it's not terribly late as of yet. If you are out of state, it's more questionable.

This Friday's going to be a big day...Who's expecting a phone call Friday/Monday?

I am! I'm so nervous/excited. I really do hope I get accepted, because UMDNJ is my number one pick.

I'm going to be bouncing around and jittery all day (or even through the weekend if I don't get the call until Monday).

Got the call around 3:30pm. First acceptance -- feels awesome! :love:

Got the call around 3:30pm. First acceptance -- feels awesome! :love:
Congrats! Ahhh still no call yet...I'm getting really nervous...And it's getting really close to 5pm (which is when, I'm assuming, they stop calling)

Anybody else get a call? I didn't, and it's 10 minutes to 5. :(

I just got my call about twenty minutes ago. I'm in! :D I'm so excited!

It's nice to know it all pays off.

If everyone doesn't mind answering, how long was your interview for? Mine only lasted 10 minutes, with the last couple of minutes consisting of me asking questions. I think the lady who was interviewing me might have been in a rush, because I saw her leave right after my interview. I hope that this didn't play a part in me not getting a call today. :(

I called the office today and Marisol told me they will also be giving out calls on Monday.

I called the office today and Marisol told me they will also be giving out calls on Monday.

That's good news...but I'm going to be nervous all weekend now haha.

Does anyone know if they go in alphabetical order?

If everyone doesn't mind answering, how long was your interview for? Mine only lasted 10 minutes, with the last couple of minutes consisting of me asking questions. I think the lady who was interviewing me might have been in a rush, because I saw her leave right after my interview. I hope that this didn't play a part in me not getting a call today. :(

Mine was shorter than other people's too, but I think they were running behind schedule. But it could have been that my interviewer was hungry and wanted to eat lunch ..

Does anyone know if there will be a lot of movement on the waitlist?

That's good news...but I'm going to be nervous all weekend now haha.

Does anyone know if they go in alphabetical order?

Not sure.. I got the call today and my last name is toward the end of the alphabet. Keep the hope up for this Monday, though! Congrats to everyone who got the call today!!! :) And :xf: to the rest of you who are waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
Accepted! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Got my call around 3:30 today as well.

Congrats to everyone who's been accepting thus far. I look forward to seeing you next year :) feel free to ask me any questions you have.

As for everyone else, good luck! If you've been waitlisted, don't be too discouraged. there is still hope!

I just called the office and apparently someone was supposed to call me on Friday but didn't by accident (or maybe they called my home phone number)...so I was freaking out all weekend.. but I'm in!! Class of 2016?! yess!!

Last edited:
Accepted.

Got the call today at 1:15 PM.
29P
NJ resident

Good luck to everyone else still waiting for the call.

Edit: Just wanted to mention that I don't think they are going by alphabetical ordering of last names when it comes to giving out acceptance calls.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who's been accepting thus far. I look forward to seeing you next year :) feel free to ask me any questions you have.

As for everyone else, good luck! If you've been waitlisted, don't be too discouraged. there is still hope!

You think so? Would you know what % of waitlisted students end up making it in?

I just called the office and apparently someone was supposed to call me on Friday but didn't by accident (or maybe they called my home phone number)...so I was freaking out all weekend.. but I'm in!! Class of 2016?! yess!!

Congrats!

You said your interview was short also right? If you don't mind sharing, what questions were you asked? I can't help thinking that my 10 minute interview played a factor in me getting waitlisted, and I feel helpless.

I was hoping to get a phone call on Fri/Mon but never received one. Should I have gotten an e-mail saying that I am on the wait list/rejected? Because I haven't heard anything and am a little confused of my status right now. Thanks!

I was hoping to get a phone call on Fri/Mon but never received one. Should I have gotten an e-mail saying that I am on the wait list/rejected? Because I haven't heard anything and am a little confused of my status right now. Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing. Do I need to wait on USPS mail at this point or should our decision come via email?

I am wondering the same thing. Do I need to wait on USPS mail at this point or should our decision come via email?

Last application cycle I was waitlisted. I got a letter in the mail

Last application cycle I was waitlisted. I got a letter in the mail

This. I also didn't get a call, so I called them at 4:00 pm Monday. The decision, whether it's a waitlist or a rejection, will come in the mail.