UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VVSHT, Congrats, when did you have your interview? I did my interview on Dec 23 but still no phone calls. :/

i interviewed on jan 4th.

Members don't see this ad.

Becoming part of Rowan University:
Rutgers University‐Camden
Rutgers University School of Law – Camden
Rutgers University School of Business – Camden
Becoming part of Rutgers University:
The Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (RWJMS)
The School of Public Health (SPH)
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey (CINJ)
UMDNJ is being renamed the New Jersey Health Sciences University (NJHSU) and will include the rest as follows:
The New Jersey Medical School (NJMS)
The New Jersey Dental School (NJDS)
The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS)
The School of Nursing (SN)
The School of Health Related Professions (SHRP)
University Behavioral Health Care (UBHC)
The School of Osteopathic Medicine (SOM)
The Public Health Research Institute (PHRI)
http://www.umdnj.edu/presweb/president/UMDNJ_Advisory_Committee_Final_Report.pdf

Wow... wouldn't it have made more sense to merge each Rutgers campus with then nearest UMDNJ institutions? It's unfair that RWJ gets all the benefits from a merge while SOM and NJMS are left out of the loop.

Theres no mention of Rutgers Newark.....are they just on their own completely?

Members don't see this ad :)
so um....any ideas of the impact on SOM other than the name change?

does anyone know the turn around (days/ weeks) for acceptance packets after you've received a call?

does anyone know the turn around (days/ weeks) for acceptance packets after you've received a call?

i was wondering that myself. Also i noticed that we only have 14 days to fill out everything and return it to them. I hope they dont' mean 14 days since receiving the call...that just makes me nervous

I spoke with April in person and she said after you get your acceptance call, it takes roughly two weeks for an acceptance packet to come in the mail. Once that packet is delivered, you have two weeks to put in the deposit

Prior to becoming Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, it was known as the Rutgers Medical School. NJMS was Seton Hall University College of Medicine.

SOM is the only UMDNJ medical school that was not taken from another school. So basically RWJ is going back from whence it came.

wait...so are they going to move som to newark? or isit going to stay in stratford?

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding UMDNJ. I sumitted by primary app and was reviewed on the 12th. I elected to choose NYCOM,UMDNJ, Lake erie and Touro based on their deadlines. I know its quite late in the cycle and oh, I took the mcat yesterday. Do I have a decent shot at any schools at this point.
Undergrad gpa- 3.7, grad-3.3, Mcat awaiting...
based on the MCAT yesterday, I think my physical sciences score wont reach 10, but others were better. regardless, what do you guys think? is it possible to get an interview and perhaps an acceptance?
Thanks for the input

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding UMDNJ. I sumitted by primary app and was reviewed on the 12th. I elected to choose NYCOM,UMDNJ, Lake erie and Touro based on their deadlines. I know its quite late in the cycle and oh, I took the mcat yesterday. Do I have a decent shot at any schools at this point.
Undergrad gpa- 3.7, grad-3.3, Mcat awaiting...
based on the MCAT yesterday, I think my physical sciences score wont reach 10, but others were better. regardless, what do you guys think? is it possible to get an interview and perhaps an acceptance?
Thanks for the input

There are still spots available. Acceptance is not impossible, depending on your MCATs, science GPA and the rest of your application. Yeah you're applying late , but there's still a chance.

There are about 30 seats still available so you've still got a shot. And then there's always the waitlist as people withdraw.

30 out of 150 right? That seems like a lot of spots at this stage of the application process? Is the school being pickier this year and putting more people on waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the accepted students day e-mail! :) Is anyone going to bring a guest (ie. spouse, other family member, etc)??

i haven't received an accepted students day e-mail?

Hmm.. Don't know why you wouldn't have received it. I got it around noon today -- I'm sure you'll get soon (if not maybe you should call?).

Accepted students' day is on March 23rd, we need to RSVP by March 9th.

Do you know if theres a dress code for this?

It doesn't mention anything about a dress code, but you could call and ask. I'd assume it would be something along the lines of business casual.

From part of the letter:
"If you have any questions regarding the Reception for Accepted Students Day/Housing Day Event, please feel free to contact the Admissions Office at 856-566-7050. We look forward to seeing you and your family!"

I just got the acceptance packet today. The deposit is very low as others have said. It's a $100 deposit + $85 criminal background check fee. However it's non-refundable. You have to return the check with the $185 and the crminal background check forms within two weeks of the receipt of the letter. I probably won't be able to make it to Accepted Students Day because of class but good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

Hi everyone, how often are interview invites made? Is it on a rolling daily basis, or is there a set day of the week/time of the month (i.e. acceptances on third fridays)?

I ask because I have just submitted late in the cycle and am anxiously waiting for interview.

Hi everyone, how often are interview invites made? Is it on a rolling daily basis, or is there a set day of the week/time of the month (i.e. acceptances on third fridays)?

I ask because I have just submitted late in the cycle and am anxiously waiting for interview.

It's on a rolling basis. Acceptances, however, are made via phone calls every third Friday of the month. Hope this helps!

Thanks. Also, does anyone know how late into cycle interviews are still conducted? March... April?

Thanks. Also, does anyone know how late into cycle interviews are still conducted? March... April?

I believe the latest is April. However I interviewed at the school last cycle at the end of March and there were only about 4 spots left. So you really do want to interview as early as possible.

anybody know anything about the waitlist and when we get our "rank"??

Hey guys, I've got a question that I hope you all can answer because I find this extremely important. To my understanding, UMDNJ-SOM increased its class size from 100 to 150 over the past two years. (http://som.umdnj.edu/about/index.html) However as any school tries to expand its class size, it should be accomodated with an equal expansion of residency programs. Does anybody know if UMDNJ-SOM will be expanding its own residency programs?

Thanks elftown. According to opportunities.osteopathic.org, it looks like the South Jersey Healthcare programs open up 18 more spots per year. We definitely still need more residency programs though, and I hope UMDNJ-SOM can push for more of them.

Nevermind! Marisol sent it to me today.

I posted this in another thread earlier today and thought you all might be interested.

My stats are slightly above those listed, just submitted but still waiting for interview invite.
Has anyone received a call for interview recently????
It would be nice to know whether not they are still inviting prospective students...

My stats are slightly above those listed, just submitted but still waiting for interview invite.
Has anyone received a call for interview recently????
It would be nice to know whether not they are still inviting prospective students...

from what I can tell, I still see interviewes at the office, so yes I believe they are.

does anyone know if there is a way to find out who you are interviewing with prior to the interview? Or do you not know until the day of?

does anyone know if there is a way to find out who you are interviewing with prior to the interview? Or do you not know until the day of?

You won't know until the day of. They'll give you a paper with name and contact information.

can someone tell me what building I need to go to for my interview? they called me this past friday to schedule an interview for tomorrow and never sent me an email with any details... lol

can someone tell me what building I need to go to for my interview? they called me this past friday to schedule an interview for tomorrow and never sent me an email with any details... lol

You'll be going to the Academic Center
Interviews are upstairs on the second floor( once entering the second floor through the main stair case, bear right). Feel free to ask any students around for directions if you are unsure of where you are going.

You should call them and tell them to resend the e-mail. The e-mail has a parking voucher and it also has a form that you need to sign and bring on the day of your interview.

You should call them and tell them to resend the e-mail. The e-mail has a parking voucher and it also has a form that you need to sign and bring on the day of your interview.

OH yeah. Totally forgot about that parking voucher for visitors. You should totally call them.

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee will start pulling from the waitlist?

maybe sometime after April, since they are holding interviews until then...

Anyone know when the next (larger) deposit is due? I believe it's the first tuition deposit.

Edit: Good luck to those waiting to hear decisions today!!! :)

Anyone know when the next (larger) deposit is due? I believe it's the first tuition deposit.

Edit: Good luck to those waiting to hear decisions today!!! :)

There isn't another deposit, at least I haven't been notified or seen paperwork stating there is one. Just the $185 which includes the background check fee

There isn't another deposit, at least I haven't been notified or seen paperwork stating there is one. Just the $185 which includes the background check fee

I know that some DO schools have two. PCOM's second deposit is due April 15th, as per their website: "All accepted candidates are required to remit a $2000 non-refundable deposit by April 15th."

Hence why I was asking when UMDNJ asks for another deposit. But then I went ahead and contacted them and they said they don't have a second one. Yippie!

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :thumbup: