UNECOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[QUOTE

Sensei, sorry, it wasnt meant critically...I was watchless so I was just guessing, I didnt think my $15 dollar adidas watch went well with the suit. You handled yourself well coming in late...I wouldve been freaking out as the 1st interview almost right after I arrived.
Do you remember what day they said they were meeting? I know they said they were meeting later that week but it was too soon to discuss our files. Was it every two weeks?
I am also coming from an unrelated undergrad degree...Dr. Cao questioned me about it but Dr. Vanderburgh thought it was great and there were a lot of parallels with education.
Anyway...goodluck to those waiting[/QUOTE]
No worries. I think they said that they meet every two weeks. I bet they will meet about us by the end of this week and then we should get the news two weeks later by snail mail. Yea i think majoring in an unrealted degree can really bring a different view within an academic setting. Good luck and ill keep my fingers crossed for the both of us.

Members don't see this ad.

complete 09/29, interview invite 09/29, interview date 10/15

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I just got my letter today saying that I am on the alternate list :(. I interviewed on 9/17 and I thought it went very well... but i guess I thought wrong. UNE is my top choice so its kind of a bummer. If anyone could explain extactly what this means and what my chances are of getting in, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Charles - also would you post turn around time and state of residency?

I sent in my secondary on Sept 16 and got an interview invite on Sept 18. Not sure if that is a good sign or random.

I'm in the Oct 15th 8:15am interview group. For some reason they changed the time? I'm traveling ALL the way from San Diego for this one and it is my first interview. Still waiting to hear back from a bunch of others about interviews.

Anyways, I'm trying to prepare myself for my interview. Any advice on things to check out in Biddeford/Saco to get a feel for the area? This will probably be my only chance to see UNE and Maine if accepted before making a decision so I want to make a good decision!

Thanks!

on the secondary, Would it be alright to put down N/A where they are asking whether I have been in contact with UNECOM students or alumni and what effect that had on me?

I sent in my secondary on Sept 16 and got an interview invite on Sept 18. Not sure if that is a good sign or random.

I'm in the Oct 15th 8:15am interview group. For some reason they changed the time? I'm traveling ALL the way from San Diego for this one and it is my first interview. Still waiting to hear back from a bunch of others about interviews.

Anyways, I'm trying to prepare myself for my interview. Any advice on things to check out in Biddeford/Saco to get a feel for the area? This will probably be my only chance to see UNE and Maine if accepted before making a decision so I want to make a good decision!

Thanks!

How long are you going to be there for? Biddeford/Saco isn't necessarily a real exciting place, in and of itself, but there are places nearby that you may enjoy. Specifically Portland. I can provide more details if you're there longer.

Hey guys,

I'm a current MS1 at unecom and I am avoiding histology right now so thought I would post on here. I was looking for questions I might be able to answer but there aren't very many...

I think writing N/A on your app might be okay, but personally I would try to put in more effort. I think if I truly had not had any interaction with any students at unecom I would use that space to write about talking with students on sdn and positive things I had heard about the school through outsiders and fellow applicants.

I'm sorry you're on the alternate list charles but a good percentage of our class came off of the list so I would not by any means count yourself out. They are probably trying to be careful right now bc its so early and they haven't seen the applicant pool. They really do reject people outright, so the fact that they did not reject you is hopeful. :)

Its hard to say how you should get a feel for Biddeford in a short amount of time. The area is what you might expect, there are beautiful ocean roads and lots of beach access, but the downtown of Biddeford itself is working class and run down. The social scene doesn't matter much bc your friends will be your classmates and thats all you need. There are a couple okay restaraunts downtown (run of the mill is good) but if you want to go out for a nice evening most people go to Portland.

The first year students just survived our first set of block exams and we have our white coat ceremony this week on thursday. So far med school has been a great experience and even though I am totally overwhelmed, never have time to do anything fun and am constantly worried that I'm going to flunk out, I am still really happy that I made this choice. I know this whole interview application process sucks, but its going to be worth it.

If people have other questions about interviewing/apps or the curriculum please post and I'll try to check back here now and again. Good luck, and try to enjoy this year no matter what happens. Its all part of the ride, lifes a journey etc etc. :D

thank you, your procrastination is quite beneficial to others. :D

Oh boy. I got the news yesterday. What a surprise... actually it is not.
They took an OK school and drove down (many many notches).

Unfortunately the students will suffer. Not because of rotations.. but more for bad press to them in the community.

Is it really that hard to find a OK leader for UNECOM.

I am glad I got out and took my losses.

So I just have to comment on this now that I read all these posts about a topic that irritates me. The UNE pres decided to close the UHC earlier this year, which to most of you applying to unecom and reading this post, and to all of the first years, means absolutely nothing. A lot of people decided to freak out over this and decided that the whole school was going to crash and burn, no one would be able to graduate with degrees, and all the faculty and fellows/residents would lose their jobs. None of those things happened, not even close. In fact, absolutely nothing happened, at all. As a student of UNECOM I didn't see one single change in my curriculum or preceptorships, and none of the patients I've interacted with during preceptorships have said anything about the situation. Not one person I asked, including the dean, professors and community doctors, could think of one way that it would negatively affect the med students education. I think thats important to note given that this is a pre-med students forum, and that most of the applicants reading these posts don't know what you're talking about at all.

So I just have to comment on this now that I read all these posts about a topic that irritates me. The UNE pres decided to close the UHC earlier this year, which to most of you applying to unecom and reading this post, and to all of the first years, means absolutely nothing. A lot of people decided to freak out over this and decided that the whole school was going to crash and burn, no one would be able to graduate with degrees, and all the faculty and fellows/residents would lose their jobs. None of those things happened, not even close. In fact, absolutely nothing happened, at all. As a student of UNECOM I didn't see one single change in my curriculum or preceptorships, and none of the patients I've interacted with during preceptorships have said anything about the situation. Not one person I asked, including the dean, professors and community doctors, could think of one way that it would negatively affect the med students education. I think thats important to note given that this is a pre-med students forum, and that most of the applicants reading these posts don't know what you're talking about at all.

As a Maine resident and all the bias that entails aside, I'm inclined to disagree. The two physician-graduates of UNECOM that I have been personally conversing with are both concerned over the damage done to schools's reputation as of late. As a student-applicant applying to a broad spectrum of schools and admittedly hopeful to return to Maine, I must pointedly admit that I'm nervous about the current state of affairs. I ensure you that I am not the only one...

Of course, it's important to acknowledge the surging rate of tuition as an additional burden of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a fourth year student at UNE, I can assure you the complete debacle that Ripich has made of UHC clinics is a big deal. It's a big deal in terms of education, accreditation, clinical opportunity, and Maine DOs (and, BTW, the "freak out" regarding faculty losing their jobs --- I personally saw the termination letter. It was quite real, and as of a week and a half ago faculty did not have another letter rescinding that termination). I am not surprised that as a first year student you don't have a feel for that. Let me be clear that more than a few fourth year students are completely appalled and have been following closely (and some have taken some time from rotations to get first hand information regarding) this situation. We are relieved that Dr. Hahn is the new Dean (he was the students' and many staffs' first choice), and are very pleased that the closure of UHC has been halted. It has been... interesting... talking informally and completely off-the-record to administration of SMMC, trustees of UNE, and AOA members regarding Ripich's actions about UHC during this time, and there is much relief on all sides that the closure has been placed on hold indefinitely.

As for applicants to UNE, I have hope that Dean Hahn will do great things for UNE. Change means turmoil, but it is hoped that change is positive. Dean Hahn has a history of much positive change.

Good luck to everyone applying.

So I sent my secondary in at like the end of July, received a complete email a few days later, then silence. The weird part is that one of my LOR writers received some sort of postcard from them, I don't know what it says, but he said he'd mail it to me. I thought that was strange. Has anyone else heard about this from their letter writers?

So I sent my secondary in at like the end of July, received a complete email a few days later, then silence. The weird part is that one of my LOR writers received some sort of postcard from them, I don't know what it says, but he said he'd mail it to me. I thought that was strange. Has anyone else heard about this from their letter writers?

It cant hurt to call them and ask...

As a fourth year student at UNE, I can assure you the complete debacle that Ripich has made of UHC clinics is a big deal. It's a big deal in terms of education, accreditation, clinical opportunity, and Maine DOs (and, BTW, the "freak out" regarding faculty losing their jobs --- I personally saw the termination letter. It was quite real, and as of a week and a half ago faculty did not have another letter rescinding that termination). I am not surprised that as a first year student you don't have a feel for that. Let me be clear that more than a few fourth year students are completely appalled and have been following closely (and some have taken some time from rotations to get first hand information regarding) this situation. We are relieved that Dr. Hahn is the new Dean (he was the students' and many staffs' first choice), and are very pleased that the closure of UHC has been halted. It has been... interesting... talking informally and completely off-the-record to administration of SMMC, trustees of UNE, and AOA members regarding Ripich's actions about UHC during this time, and there is much relief on all sides that the closure has been placed on hold indefinitely.

As for applicants to UNE, I have hope that Dean Hahn will do great things for UNE. Change means turmoil, but it is hoped that change is positive. Dean Hahn has a history of much positive change.

Good luck to everyone applying.

So the new dean decided not to close the UHC clinics?? I've been on the fence about UNECOM due to the tuition and the turmoil surrounding these clinics. It seems now though that they are not going to close??

Hi! I am interviewing on 10/15 and was curious how the interview is set up. Are we interviewed individually or in groups and for how long? Is there any opportunity to speak with faculty besides Dr. Cao and Dr. VanDerburgh? Also, I am arriving on Wednesday and am wondering... what is the best way to spend my time in order to get to know the area a little better?

Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to meeting the other interviewees next week!

So the new dean decided not to close the UHC clinics?? I've been on the fence about UNECOM due to the tuition and the turmoil surrounding these clinics. It seems now though that they are not going to close??
The new dean has put everything with UHC on hold until he can adequately look at the situation. So at this point, UHC is open and nothing is going to change - no closings, no talks right now with potential buyers, etc. It is totally possible they will stay open since with the new UHC administration the clinics have turned a profit beginning in June.

Jagger, if that's what is stopping you from applying, don't let it anymore. We truly have high hopes for the new dean. If you didn't know, Dr. Hahn was high ranking at TCOM for 8 or 9 years during their growth phase and helped shape TCOM into what it is today.

Now tuition, OTOH, is a significant concern. It rises every single year at least 6%. This past year it was $43K for tuition alone.

Hi! I am interviewing on 10/15 and was curious how the interview is set up. Are we interviewed individually or in groups and for how long? Is there any opportunity to speak with faculty besides Dr. Cao and Dr. VanDerburgh? Also, I am arriving on Wednesday and am wondering... what is the best way to spend my time in order to get to know the area a little better?

Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to meeting the other interviewees next week!

You are interviewed individually by two faculty members, on the 22nd it was Drs. Cao and Vanderburgh.

James Gaffney, the head of recruiting and student/alumni services, was with us all day and very cordial. On the 22nd Dr. Bates, Chair of Geriatrics and if I heard correctly the heard of the admissions committee, came and introduced himself to us and sat around chatting while we waited to interview. While he chatted with us a bit, he mostly discussed issues with Mr. Gaffney.

As for what to do in the area, as another poster said above, I would spend some time in Portland. Its a fun little city...Old Port is a good time on weekends, I doubt there is much going on a Wed night. Drive down Rt. 1, see the coast, see the excitement that is Biddeford...ha. Kennebunkport is right down the road or OOB to the north. As a returning native my must-do list was to enjoy the cool weather, eat the seafood (which I miss so much, sorry but the gulf coast just cant compare), and of course the fall foliage.

As for what to do in the area, as another poster said above, I would spend some time in Portland. Its a fun little city...Old Port is a good time on weekends, I doubt there is much going on a Wed night. Drive down Rt. 1, see the coast, see the excitement that is Biddeford...ha. Kennebunkport is right down the road or OOB to the north. As a returning native my must-do list was to enjoy the cool weather, eat the seafood (which I miss so much, sorry but the gulf coast just cant compare), and of course the fall foliage.

Route 1 is a good suggestion. You might find some seasonal/touristy locations that still have not closed for the winter. If you do - eat/shop there!

Now tuition, OTOH, is a significant concern. It rises every single year at least 6%. This past year it was $43K for tuition alone.

This will be my biggest and most pressing issue when I interview. Have you caught wind of any plan(s) to mitigate this absurd growth pattern?

This will be my biggest and most pressing issue when I interview. Have you caught wind of any plan(s) to mitigate this absurd growth pattern?

I will say that it is no longer the elephant in the room. It is out in the open and people are talking about it. I will say that 6% is higher than we have heard, there is a graph up in the first year class room that shows UNECOMs tuition increases as compared to other COMs (that graph had our tuition increases at around 4% a year; I can't say that is true, merely reporting what we have been told). If you compare that number with some others (such as Pacific Northwest University with a last year tuition increase of 33%--> also according to this graph), 4-6% is not that bad.
Tuition is still high, there is no doubting that. Realistically, it is going to be difficult for them to lower tuition at this point in this economy. However, we all have high hopes of seeing a much smaller increase this next year.

Good luck to all applying!:D

Well one of the DO's that wrote me a letter graduated from UNECOM in 2000 and I believe he quoted 28k/year at graduation and a measly 22k/year in 1996. I may be misremembering, but a 15k (43-28) increase over 10 years is absolutely incredulous. Doing the math real quick that's a growth average of 4.4% per year.

I don't think it's unilaterally the soaring tuition that is going to hurt recruitment; I think that in conjunction with a fair amount of negative press in the last few months. Here's to hoping I'm wrong :xf:.

I will say that it is no longer the elephant in the room. It is out in the open and people are talking about it. I will say that 6% is higher than we have heard, there is a graph up in the first year class room that shows UNECOMs tuition increases as compared to other COMs (that graph had our tuition increases at around 4% a year; I can't say that is true, merely reporting what we have been told). If you compare that number with some others (such as Pacific Northwest University with a last year tuition increase of 33%--> also according to this graph), 4-6% is not that bad.
Tuition is still high, there is no doubting that. Realistically, it is going to be difficult for them to lower tuition at this point in this economy. However, we all have high hopes of seeing a much smaller increase this next year.

Good luck to all applying!:D

So...completely unrelated...do you ski Tuckerman's? In all my years living in New England that is one thing I always wanted to do but my plans always fell apart (usually friends backed out for various reasons).

The new dean has put everything with UHC on hold until he can adequately look at the situation. So at this point, UHC is open and nothing is going to change - no closings, no talks right now with potential buyers, etc. It is totally possible they will stay open since with the new UHC administration the clinics have turned a profit beginning in June.

Jagger, if that's what is stopping you from applying, don't let it anymore. We truly have high hopes for the new dean. If you didn't know, Dr. Hahn was high ranking at TCOM for 8 or 9 years during their growth phase and helped shape TCOM into what it is today.

Hey Shy ... thanks for replying, your input means a lot to me personally. The UHC situation wasn't the only reason I was on the fence about the University. To be honest, I never knew a great deal about it and I am really concerned about debt post graduation, so the really high tuition didn't help at all. Add that to the fact that I kept putting off filling out the secondary and now I'm really burned out on them, and I'm just unsure. I think if I will probably fill it out and send it with a few more secondaries that rolled in late or I was putting off for various reasons. Any further input would be appreciated!!

I think the tuition is a major issue. My tuition has increased over 17% since I've been here. Considering it has been three increases, that's about 6% a year. There are no plans that I know of to curb the increases... all we get is "education is expensive" while they build more buildings, fail to give faculty raises, withhold the RVU bonuses for clinical faculty, and pay our rotation sites the lowest of any med school in the area. (BTW: when the plans were still to close UHC, a student bravely asked about a refund since our tuition was supporting UHC. The administration appeared absolutely appalled at such a request.)

Seeing as you could potentially be looking at $300,000 in debt just from med school (or more if you start next year), you would be wise to consider tuition and COA heavily in your decisions of where you want to go.

I would, however, caution you about going to a school you hate for cheap tuition. I would also caution you about going to a dream school that is known for its students to have the highest debt load of any med school in the country. I think it was worth $32K/year. If I were starting out and my tuition was $43K/yr, I would have not withdrawn from consideration at other schools that were significantly cheaper.

What do most people think of Touro California vs. UNECOM? I know the Bay Area easily beats out the cold wilderness of Maine. But how do the two schools compare with residency matching? I heard a large percent of Touro graduates stay in the West.

I know the Bay Area easily beats out the cold wilderness of Maine.

No way...Maine is beautiful and I don't think I could think of anyplace I would rather not live than the Bay Area...maybe LA.

I dont know what Touro's match list looks like but in looking at UNE's for the past 4 years, the majority of people stay on the east coast unless they are military.

I would imagine if you want to end up in the West and enjoy California and its insane cost of living and outrageous debt then Touro would be a good idea...if you prefer ending up living the Eastcoast and dont mind living in a small costal town...then youll probably be better off at UNE.

I dont see how picking one coast or another would restrict you in anyway though.

And are you asking with someone with an acceptance at both or just speculating?

So...completely unrelated...do you ski Tuckerman's? In all my years living in New England that is one thing I always wanted to do but my plans always fell apart (usually friends backed out for various reasons).

Former New England resident here. Not to derail the thread, but I can relate to the above. I did undergrad in Vermont and lived in the valley just outside the Killington mountains. I could see the slopes from my apartment and believe it or not, I never made time to go skiing. I was always too busy. Now that I'm out of the area, I regret it tremendously.

I'm hoping to move back to New England for residency (I'm an MS1) and skiing will be one of the first things I do!

No way...Maine is beautiful and I don't think I could think of anyplace I would rather not live than the Bay Area...maybe LA.

I dont know what Touro's match list looks like but in looking at UNE's for the past 4 years, the majority of people stay on the east coast unless they are military.

I would imagine if you want to end up in the West and enjoy California and its insane cost of living and outrageous debt then Touro would be a good idea...if you prefer ending up living the Eastcoast and dont mind living in a small costal town...then youll probably be better off at UNE.

I dont see how picking one coast or another would restrict you in anyway though.

And are you asking with someone with an acceptance at both or just speculating?

Actually I was looking at rents in Portland and they looked steep. Touro is in a fairly inexpensive section of the Bay Area in the East Bay region. I lived on the East Coast for a spell, did not like driving in snow or shoveling it. As far as debt UNECOM actually graduates the most indebted students. Anyway there are many programs that can help you pay loans like HPSP and the Health Corps.

The Bay Area was beautiful. I was riding the ferry and the views were unbelievable, people who live in San Francisco do not know how lucky they are. I am from Los Angeles, LA sucks.

I got accepted at Touro Ca, AZCOM, and got invited for an interview with UNE but thinking of canceling because of the expense of travel and I just don't have the funds right now.

See, that tuition thing for me just does not add up. I see that UNE students are the most indebted in the country, but I don't really understand why. See the following,

UNECOM Tuition (2008-2009)= 41,260$
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-unecom.pdf

AZCOM Tuition (2008-2009)= 43,304$
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-azcom-mwu.pdf

CCOM Tuition (2008-2009)= Non resident 44,643$
Resident 40,122$
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-ccom-mwu.pdf

Touro Nevada (2008-2009)= 40,941$
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-tuncom.pdf

The only reason that I do this is to say that yes, our tuition is high. Is it the highest? No, it is not. However, we do graduate with the most debt. Having lived in both New England and other parts of the country, I feel fairly confident in saying that it is not because our cost of living is huge compared to others. It is cheaper to live in Maine than say New York City. I would say that the average rent in my class is around 600 a month, not extreme. So where is this huge amount of debt (as compared to other schools) coming from? I bring this up only to point out that this is a complicated situation that does not have an easy answer. We do need cheaper tuition (or at least tuition that is not climbing as quickly), but the amount of debt that we are in when we graduate has to have another factor contributing to it. I do not have an answer (a couple of theories but no serious hypothesis) to what that other factor is.

UNECOM is a beautiful school with some great people and faculty. I have only been here for 2 months, but so far I can say that the experience has been positive. I would encourage you if you are interested to come take a look, the students tend to be a very approachable bunch.

And, I do love to ski. Skiing Tuckermans Ravine was a terrifying but thankfully short experience:D.

Tuckerman, I think how high COA is depends on where you come from. It was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to live in Colorado than in Maine. It was, and continues to be, quite a shock how expensive Maine living is and I am certainly not extravagant by any means.

As for debt load, I have heard other schools give more scholarships, grants, etc. UNE has very little of these debtload reducing opportunities available (although I just read of a new $25K/yr scholarship for Maine students? AWESOME. But not administered/given out by UNE). What scholarships there are come from outside UNE.

As for debt load, I have heard other schools give more scholarships, grants, etc. UNE has very little of these debtload reducing opportunities available (although I just read of a new $25K/yr scholarship for Maine students? AWESOME. But not administered/given out by UNE). What scholarships there are come from outside UNE.

Shyrem, while premature I suppose, do you have any more information on this program? Is it through FAME?

This is all i know about it. It was in an email update from the dean's office:

This year the Finance Authority of Maine, in association with the Maine Legislature, established the
Doctors for Maine's Future Scholarship Program. The program is a tuition subsidy of up to a maximum of
$25,000 annually, for eligible students who enter qualifying Maine-based medical school programs. This is
the first year for this new scholarship program, and for UNECOM's participation in it.

After filling in the secondary, I clicked "submit answers" and it showed me a "thank you" page, but when I logged in again, it showed me the blank form.

After filling in the secondary, I clicked "submit answers" and it showed me a "thank you" page, but when I logged in again, it showed me the blank form.

I'm sure you are fine, but to be safe, call tomorrow morning and follow up.

Letters were signed by the dean and mailed yesterday or today for the 9/22 group per James Gaffney. He was kind enough to let me know its an acceptance letter! First one!

Congratulations, that's great! Are you thinking of attending or considering other schools?

As a Maine resident and all the bias that entails aside, I'm inclined to disagree. The two physician-graduates of UNECOM that I have been personally conversing with are both concerned over the damage done to schools's reputation as of late. As a student-applicant applying to a broad spectrum of schools and admittedly hopeful to return to Maine, I must pointedly admit that I'm nervous about the current state of affairs. I ensure you that I am not the only one.

Okay. I guess my point is that there is nothing to be nervous about. The UHC did not close, everything is back to status quo. We all agree it was a silly decision that should never have been made, but I maintain wholeheartedly that no, it was NOT a big deal. I don't believe that my feelings that this is a non issue are because I'm an ignorant 1st year. I don't believe for one second that patients will judge my worth as a graduate based on a silly administrative decision made while I was a student.

UNECOM offers a quality medical education in a beautiful setting. Our faculty are amazing and will bend over backwards to help us. The student community as a whole is very warm and friendly and everyone helps eachother out. The anatomy program is fantastic, and our physio prof makes class really interactive and fun. All of the classes are integrated so that you are learning the same things with a different spin for every class. For example, as we dissect through skin and muscle in anatomy lab we are learning about the physiology of muscle in physio, what muscle and skin look like under a microscope in histo, and the development of it in Embryo. In OPP and Doctoring we are learning how to do skin and musculoskelatal physical exams.

Its not all good though. UNECOM is too expensive. I weighed location over expense and came here, but if I was a different person who didn't care about living near my family I would be somewhere else. Biochem is a joke, and in a really annoying time consuming way. Rotations are all over the place, and there is a small chance you may not get to go where you want. Maine is cold. Med school, no matter where you go, makes you wonder if this doctor thing is really worth it.

The letter was waiting for me at home today...anyone else?

Interviewed on the 15th. Per James I should know on Monday the 26th. I interviewed with Dr. Baker and Dr. Ferrill and it could not have possibly gone any smoother.

Tuckerman, I think how high COA is depends on where you come from. It was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to live in Colorado than in Maine. It was, and continues to be, quite a shock how expensive Maine living is and I am certainly not extravagant by any means.

I was looking into this, Maine is pretty expensive as far as living is concerned. I thought Touro CA was going to be super expensive since they are in the Bay Area, and rents around Touro CA are actually reasonable.

I was looking into this, Maine is pretty expensive as far as living is concerned. I thought Touro CA was going to be super expensive since they are in the Bay Area, and rents around Touro CA are actually reasonable.

Have you been to Vallejo or are you basing this on what you find online?
You may be able to find reasonable housing but there are a lot of crappy neighborhoods in Vallejo and surrounding cities. From what I have seen of both places $900/month puts you in a much nicer place in Maine.

A good comparison for me is looking at the income of comparable jobs...my brother is a Solano County Deputy looking to move back east and his income would decrease by about 50% depending on whether he decides to work in Maine or NH. Maine isnt the cheapest place to live but you cant say its cheaper to live in Cali than southern Maine.

Yeah, Maine is my homestate...the only school that would trump UNE at this point is probably USUHS. I hope the rest of you waiting get some good news too.

You military currently, or looking at doing the military thing? Don't know if they still have the military board on this forum, but you may want to scope it out.

Wook

You military currently, or looking at doing the military thing? Don't know if they still have the military board on this forum, but you may want to scope it out.

Wook

Both my wife and I are from AF families and I am all set to do AF HPSP

The military forums are still quite active. It is heavily skewed toward those who are embittered with milmed, however it is still an invaluable component of researching a milmed career (an equally if not more important component is people actively in practice in a variety of specialties, locations, and branch-which is obviously hard to do). There are some people who are positive (on the military forum) about there experience and some who are more ambivalent (some good and some bad).
If you and your wife are choosing AF HPSP based on coming from AF families (non-medical or medical from years past) then you are potentially making a big mistake. Your family's experience in the AF will have little to no resemblance to that of your practice in AF medicine. I was familiar with the AF through the Reserves and some voluntary active duty, but this has had little similarity to my medical career thus far. I'll be the first to admit that I have benefitted from some aspects of this course, but some by dumb luck and if I had it to do over, while I'd still lean toward taking the scholarship, I would more heavily favor Army or Navy (BTW I trained in two different service's hospitals, so I have some base of comparison). Please research beyond your family connections. You won't regret that decision.

Have you been to Vallejo or are you basing this on what you find online?
You may be able to find reasonable housing but there are a lot of crappy neighborhoods in Vallejo and surrounding cities. From what I have seen of both places $900/month puts you in a much nicer place in Maine.

A good comparison for me is looking at the income of comparable jobs...my brother is a Solano County Deputy looking to move back east and his income would decrease by about 50% depending on whether he decides to work in Maine or NH. Maine isnt the cheapest place to live but you cant say its cheaper to live in Cali than southern Maine.

I have seen Vallejo, it has some tough areas but I looked at some apartments there, its not really that bad. I lived in LA for a while, and LA has far worse areas. The thing about UNECOM is that I have heard that they send a lot of students to New York for clinicals, that would not be ideal for me, New York is super expensive plus the quality of life is terrible. New York sucks. UNECOM looks like a nice place but the chances of spending all four years in picturesque Maine doesn't seem like a guarantee. I am a Floridian, snow is nice and pretty but I don't want to drive in it. SF Bay Area winters are mild compared to New England, just some extra rain. Also the fact that nearly half the class does residency in California is a big plus which will increase the chances of working out West.

Shyrem mentioned the issue of "malignant" residencies, it was interesting how most of those residencies were in the Northeast.