University of Arizona c/o 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, just joined this thread.
To respond to some things posted above, Tucson is a pretty blue city in a red state. I wouldn’t call the UofA community particularly conservative as far as religion or politics if that’s a decision-making factor for any prospective students.

I know the subject of internships was brought up. Because there is no teaching hospital and clinical are performed in working clinics and such, do you think the idea of interning and networking is being rolled into that? It’s a question I’d love to ask the school. And if that is the thought process, will there be varied opportunities for students to work in those more specialized areas during at least the last rotation, where they would normally try to intern during traditional breaks?

I’ve applied to the program for reasons that probably don’t apply to most students. I know a new program with a non-traditional curriculum is definitely going to go through massive growing pains. It’s inevitable. For me personally, I like the way it’s structured, but I’ve also had to deal with things like mental fatigue and burnout and accelerated programs before, so it’s a structure I know I’m capable of navigating.

It also is financially and mentally/emotionally the smarter choice for me, though I have applied to other programs too this cycle. I moved away from AZ and let me tell you, it has been a struggle being a first-time mom, changing jobs, and not having our support system of friends and family. I’ll go where I get in obviously, but it would be nice to not have a $1200 a month daycare expense and have my village of support!

But I am also very curious if the powers that be have considered burnout and mental fatigue. I hear plenty from friends about how demanding vet school has been and it really is something to consider.

Wishing everyone the best this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
But I am also very curious if the powers that be have considered burnout and mental fatigue. I hear plenty from friends about how demanding vet school has been and it really is something to consider.

Wishing everyone the best this cycle![/QUOTE]

I know Ross is structured similarly but i think i like the fact it’s a year shorter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, just joined this thread.
To respond to some things posted above, Tucson is a pretty blue city in a red state. I wouldn’t call the UofA community particularly conservative as far as religion or politics if that’s a decision-making factor for any prospective students.

I know the subject of internships was brought up. Because there is no teaching hospital and clinical are performed in working clinics and such, do you think the idea of interning and networking is being rolled into that? It’s a question I’d love to ask the school. And if that is the thought process, will there be varied opportunities for students to work in those more specialized areas during at least the last rotation, where they would normally try to intern during traditional breaks?

I’ve applied to the program for reasons that probably don’t apply to most students. I know a new program with a non-traditional curriculum is definitely going to go through massive growing pains. It’s inevitable. For me personally, I like the way it’s structured, but I’ve also had to deal with things like mental fatigue and burnout and accelerated programs before, so it’s a structure I know I’m capable of navigating.

It also is financially and mentally/emotionally the smarter choice for me, though I have applied to other programs too this cycle. I moved away from AZ and let me tell you, it has been a struggle being a first-time mom, changing jobs, and not having our support system of friends and family. I’ll go where I get in obviously, but it would be nice to not have a $1200 a month daycare expense and have my village of support!

I know Ross is structured similarly but i think i like the fact it’s a year shorter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]For those wondering about burn out and mental fatigue please see my previous post about their current game plan for structuring classes. I cant speak for most of the professors that will be teaching you, but I can speak on behalf of one and they are a phenomenal individual who is truly 100% there for us as students. They served on my schools student-faculty committee and they only want what's best for us and recognize mental health is extremely important especially when it comes to burn out. They used to come by in the days before an anatomy exam or if they knew we had any exam and ask how we were doing and listen to our freak out and pep talk us. They're extremely passionate and excited about coming to UofA to shape the program. Very sad we lost them at our school, but ecstatic you all will get to have them as they are someone UofA is lucky to have in these early years to shape this accelerated program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have insight on when they’ll start evaluating applications and even how many they plan to interview?

Anyone have insight on when they’ll start evaluating applications and even how many they plan to interview?

They said on the website interviews will go out mid-December. But they don’t know how many applicants they planned on getting, let alone how many to interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Who else has there heart hit the floor with the email!?!?

Wonder if they changed the date because they got a lot of applications :pompous:

Anytime an email shows up from a school you don’t get a stomach drop effect?

Not really, I just get extremely hyperactive and bouncy :eek:

I have a weird coping mechanism for stressful things :oops:

edit: a sentence lol

I immediately think “This is it, rejection” then I’m all “Oh thank god, just the regular info email”.

I immediately think “This is it, rejection” then I’m all “Oh thank god, just the regular info email”.

Lol the true reactions of those applying several times in and are just used to failure

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The date change is unfortunate. To be interviewing in March is really really late considering final decisions have to be made by April and most other schools will already have decisions out.

The date change is unfortunate. To be interviewing in March is really really late considering final decisions have to be made by April and most other schools will already have decisions out.

I agree. LIU is following the same-ish timeline. They said we’ll know final decisions by March 27th. That’s superrrrrr late lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I like that it’s later weather wise but I’m also worried about the timeline

I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about it. There are several other schools that don’t put decisions out until late March or early April (Mizzou IS and OkSU IS are just two examples off of the top of my head), so there’s definitely precedent for it. It’s likely that U of A realized that their admissions timeline simply wasn’t actually tenable as originally laid out; this is their first cycle, after all, so the whole process is new to them. It happens.

I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about it. There are several other schools that don’t put decisions out until late March or early April (Mizzou IS and OkSU IS are just two examples off of the top of my head), so there’s definitely precedent for it. It’s likely that U of A realized that their admissions timeline simply wasn’t actually tenable as originally laid out; this is their first cycle, after all, so the whole process is new to them. It happens.

No matter what i am excited and i genuinely want to go to this school! :big love:

On the flip side with the admissions timeline, hopefully a lot of people that applied will have gotten into other schools by that point and decline their interview/seat.

Reactions: 4 users
On the flip side with the admissions timeline, hopefully a lot of people that applied will have gotten into other schools by that point and decline their interview/seat.
A back up school

500 applicants and they're aiming to interview 250 per a friend who went on the tour. MMI interviews to happen Feb 28, 29, and March 1.

It definitely sounds like a lot of self-study, but there will be assessment "checkpoints" to make sure everyone is on board. They didn't have a lot of answers for some of the more specific questions and need to do a lot of hiring still.

There will be a wellness center at Oro Valley for the vet students.

It definitely sounds like a lot of self-study, but there will be assessment "checkpoints" to make sure everyone is on board.

What do you mean by self-study? What did you friend say about the overall feel of the school when she visited? Also, 500 doesn’t seem like a lot, I wonder if that’s the final number. Tyia!

I visited U of A and was given the impression the curriculum would nit have any formal lectures but instead would have a lot of PBL type learning. I definitely did not interpret it to be self study.

20191113_180427.jpg

From their open house. Kinda a bad photo, sorry! Don't know if this has been posted already.

I visited U of A and was given the impression the curriculum would nit have any formal lectures but instead would have a lot of PBL type learning. I definitely did not interpret it to be self study.
I already commented on this on the first page. They straight up say there is a lot of self study, so this will not be a good school to go to if people need a more traditional lecture type style.
View attachment 281904

It also sounds like they want the students to have a lot of discipline and self keep up on material from this excerpt.

This might sound really dumb but what does self study entail besides you teaching yourself mainly? How would that even work in a veterinary program?

This might sound really dumb but what does self study entail besides you teaching yourself mainly? How would that even work in a veterinary program?
First three years traditionally are classroom learning. It would be like taking a mostly online class that meets once or twice a week in person to go over things. I personally did this anyway in school as I rarely went to class and just listened to lectures and did my own studying, but there are plenty of people who need that teacher time.

Hmm that might be a deciding factor for attending the school or not. I’m not sure if I could excel if I was supposed to teach myself mainly.

Most of my undergrad was self-study so i feel okay with this concept

So my friend had an ad pop up on her Facebook feed from U of A, looking to hire temporary part time employees who will do all of the pre-interview scoring of applications. Is this common practice, or are they scrambling as much as they seem to be between this and pushing back the interview dates? I’ve read multiple established schools have professors or other full time faculty who review/score applications. It just seems like something that should be done by people who are more familiar with the industry than a random part time temp, but maybe I’m way off base and tons of schools do this?

So my friend had an ad pop up on her Facebook feed from U of A, looking to hire temporary part time employees who will do all of the pre-interview scoring of applications. Is this common practice, or are they scrambling as much as they seem to be between this and pushing back the interview dates? I’ve read multiple established schools have professors or other full time faculty who review/score applications. It just seems like something that should be done by people who are more familiar with the industry than a random part time temp, but maybe I’m way off base and tons of schools do this?
I’ll say that I don’t know if other schools that do this off the top of my head. However if they’re going off of an objective pre-interview scoring rubric then I don’t think it matters who’s doing it. It’s the interview and post-interview stuff that’s more subjective.

Illinois has an admissions committee of faculty and staff that do this after the admissions office makes sure people have all admissions criteria met.

The U of A's application review committee is made up primarily of faculty (I know this for sure because my close mentor is on the committee and was the first professor to join the U of A Vet School Faculty), I think they're just looking for extra help due to the amount of applications they've received. I wouldn't worry, it sounds like they have a really good application assessment system in place :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was promoted to lead tech in October and realized I never put it on my resume, do you think they would care to note it if I emailed now? Should I just email and ask?

I was promoted to lead tech in October and realized I never put it on my resume, do you think they would care to note it if I emailed now? Should I just email and ask?

Usually schools don’t let you change anything on your application after it’s submitted, but it never hurts to ask!

Does anyone know the total number of applicants who applied for fall 2020?

When I called them (after the deadline), they said they received about 500 applicants and they will be interviewing 250-300 applicants. As for seats, they are most likely going to accept 55 is and 55 oos. Those numbers might have changed obviously, so who knows for sure haha

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, it's finally January! Can completing a bachelor's degree make us more competitive even though other grades are not considered? This has been stated by different schools but I have not found it stated for this school.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Hey everyone, it's finally January! Can completing a bachelor's degree make us more competitive even though other grades are not considered? This has been stated by different schools but I have not found it stated for this school.

Was that an option when you applied?
To add that you have a bachelors I mean, if it wasn’t then I would think otherwise but not sure.

To add that you have a bachelors I mean, if it wasn’t then I would think otherwise but not sure.
It was an option. I can't remember if it was required to enter all course work or not. I entered every class I have taken and then matched up the prerequisites from that.

I guess it might not be a major factor as not indicated. I am just anxious to know where I stand as there are no previous stats to compare myself to.

From what I saw from GradCAS, I added it when entering the colleges attending. You are supposed to choose if you have a bachelor’s or not

UofA just posted in their Insta story that they will sending interview invites around January 31st

They are doing a 65/45 splits with OOS and IS, respectively.

Anyone know if U of A needs fall transcripts?

I think they said at one point that if you continue through the interview and acceptance process that’s when they will ask for transcripts, but i would email them just to know for sure.

I think they said at one point that if you continue through the interview and acceptance process that’s when they will ask for transcripts, but i would email them just to know for sure.

I emailed them a week ago asking if they needed fall transcripts and they said that they would ask for them later in the process.

20 days left but hey whose counting