University of Arizona c/o 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I typed directly in like an idiot and it didn't save. ugh. What issues are you having?

The questions tab just won’t open so i can’t move my answers over

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I’m actually really looking forward to submitting my application. I would love to be the first class
Just to rain on your parade, think carefully about being the first class with a new curriculum. I was part of the guinea pig class for a new curriculum at a well-established school and it was occasionally a cluster. Like, they forgot they were supposed to teach us a class halfway through the semester so tacked it on to the end (resulting in us having to stay an extra 2 weeks into the summer). Because anatomy turned into a full semester instead of half small half large, by the end of the semester our cadavers were covered in mold and we needed respirators/could hardly see some structures (still better to spread it out over 2 semesters, but it was nasty). Kinks get worked out as each class goes through it, the first ones paving the way can sometimes get the short stick.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Just to rain on your parade, think carefully about being the first class with a new curriculum. I was part of the guinea pig class for a new curriculum at a well-established school and it was occasionally a cluster. Like, they forgot they were supposed to teach us a class halfway through the semester so tacked it on to the end (resulting in us having to stay an extra 2 weeks into the summer). Because anatomy turned into a full semester instead of half small half large, by the end of the semester our cadavers were covered in mold and we needed respirators/could hardly see some structures (still better to spread it out over 2 semesters, but it was nasty). Kinks get worked out as each class goes through it, the first ones paving the way can sometimes get the short stick.

Which school where you a guinea pig for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, I see where you’re going with this, but there will be kinks for years to come. LMU still has some major “kinks” to work out (I’m a thesis student taking a few CVM classes) and this year I’ve promised myself instead of complaining to myself (or here) I would be part of the solution. I’m hoping a public school won’t have that same conservative attitude either so I’m excited to apply.

Meh, I see where you’re going with this, but there will be kinks for years to come. LMU still has some major “kinks” to work out (I’m a thesis student taking a few CVM classes) and this year I’ve promised myself instead of complaining to myself (or here) I would be part of the solution. I’m hoping a public school won’t have that same conservative attitude either so I’m excited to apply.

I feel like no matter how “established” a school is there are always kinks. As technology and educations changes and grows there will always be “growing pains” so to speak.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like no matter how “established” a school is there are always kinks. As technology and educations changes and grows there will always be “growing pains” so to speak.

Not to speak for KC, but I think you're both missing the point. While yes there are always kinks in even established schools-its hell enough when they happen and are usually minor in relation to everything else. A brand new program regardless of where it is, there are going to be a major adjustments on top of adjusting to veterinary school making for a less than ideal time. Enthusiasm is great but just be prepared for a rough time the best you can be.

Reactions: 9 users
Not to speak for KC, but I think you're both missing the point. While yes there are always kinks in even established schools-its hell enough when they happen and are usually minor in relation to everything else. A brand new program regardless of where it is, there are going to be a major adjustments on top of adjusting to veterinary school making for a less than ideal time. Enthusiasm is great but just be prepared for a rough time the best you can be.

Having spoken to someone out of the first MWU class, this. The kinks aren't small, they are severe. So dealing with severe kinks on top of what is already a demanding curriculum, it is something to be considered. She said many struggled through as the school also struggled through all the issues that arose. And that while their NAVLE pass rate was fine in the end a number of students did have to repeat the test. That isn't to say don't apply, but I wouldn't necessarily "look forward to" being the first graduating class from a school. It will be a rough ride, one that I am sure those who attend will do fine, but still something that you should strongly consider.

Reactions: 6 users
Which school where you a guinea pig for?

University of Minnesota - they had just overhauled their curriculum for my graduating class. So even with professors who had been teaching for years/decades and a solid teaching hospital and everything there were still some things that happened that were less than ideal for my class that previous years and following years did not have to deal with (or at least to the same extent).
Not sure what conservative attitude you're referring to but see DVMDream and MixedAnimals posts above. It's enough to manage to get through the intense beast that is vet school without also having to deal with all the problems that come up being the first through the chute. I'm not saying don't do it, but maybe stay realistic about the "benefit" of being the first class in a new program.

Reactions: 3 users
University of Minnesota - they had just overhauled their curriculum for my graduating class. So even with professors who had been teaching for years/decades and a solid teaching hospital and everything there were still some things that happened that were less than ideal for my class that previous years and following years did not have to deal with (or at least to the same extent).
Not sure what conservative attitude you're referring to but see DVMDream and MixedAnimals posts above. It's enough to manage to get through the intense beast that is vet school without also having to deal with all the problems that come up being the first through the chute. I'm not saying don't do it, but maybe stay realistic about the "benefit" of being the first class in a new program.
Just out of curiosity who do you think will teach at the new school? I mean, my mentor taught at UT for YEARS. In fact 50% of the current DVM’s that went there learned from him so how do you think they got a better education than I am at an actual “new school”? As someone who was invited to present at the AHS triennial symposium under his guidance I’m offended by your remarks. Btw, here is the link to the staff information. I looked them all up before I started my application and it’s an impressive group. All from well-established successful schools. Directory
Don’t get me wrong, I know there will be struggles, but I feel equipped after my experiences getting my thesis done at LMU. As for being conservative, I did not apply here because of the private aspect (plus I’m pretty sure the religious and conservative faculty/students hate me). I am not a republican or religious so it’s not a good fit for me. In a public school I won’t be invited on a daily basis to bible study clubs or inundated with “Faux Newz”.

Just out of curiosity who do you think will teach at the new school? I mean, my mentor taught at UT for YEARS. In fact 50% of the current DVM’s that went there learned from him so how do you think they got a better education than I am at an actual “new school”? As someone who was invited to present at the AHS triennial symposium under his guidance I’m offended by your remarks. Btw, here is the link to the staff information. I looked them all up before I started my application and it’s an impressive group. All from well-established successful schools. Directory
Don’t get me wrong, I know there will be struggles, but I feel equipped after my experiences getting my thesis done at LMU. As for being conservative, I did not apply here because of the private aspect (plus I’m pretty sure the religious and conservative faculty/students hate me). I am not a republican or religious so it’s not a good fit for me. In a public school I won’t be invited on a daily basis to bible study clubs or inundated with “Faux Newz”.
I think you’re missing the point she’s trying to make. It’s not that the professors aren’t credentialed or anything. It’s that there are growing pains associated with a new curriculum, let alone a new school. You can have the top professors in the world but that doesn’t equate to a well-run program when they’re literally figuring it out as they go along.

Reactions: 8 users
Back up sassy pants, take a deep breath and read what I actually wrote without a bias of thinking I'm trying to denigrate the school or the program. That's not AT ALL what I actually said.

I'm coming from a place where in the new curriculum at my school they combined virology, bacteriology, parasitology, and fungal diseases from 3 separate classes into one massive class. The professors for each separate course had all worked together for years, helped design the new curriculum, and came up with this plan to combine the courses and teach based on body system vs type of disease. Interesting concept, but trying to implement it was challenging to say the least - they all had different teaching styles, testing styles, etc and trying to combine them into a cohesive course was, I'm sure, a logistical nightmare. Taking the very first implementation of the course? Rough.

Now for a new school with an entirely new program and professors who may never have worked together before, it's basically living this class but for the entire curriculum. Or it could be.

All of this was in response to the poster (maybe you?) who was excited to be the first class. That's cool, you do you. But people should think about some of the potential pitfalls to being the first class. THAT is my entire point.

Start assuming good intent. People who post here answering questions are coming from a place of experience and are trying to be helpful to the future generations coming after us. We're not taking time out of our day to throw poop at a school for ****s and giggles.

Reactions: 9 users
Illinois' "new" curriculum is 10 years old with the current first year class, and I have submitted a complete rehaul of the second year curriculum from start to end in response to a survey sent from our SAVMA class reps on how to make second year (notoriously our worst year, particularly the first quarter) better. When I say complete rehaul, I mean a complete rehaul. Moving classes around, shortening them, lengthening, etc. Frankly, our second year is horribly organized to me (baring my personal issues I had last year), and is managed by the most organized professional within the entire vet med campus (definitely not her fault; its the curriculum's inherent faults that make it trash).

This is a ten year old, semi-accelerated program managed by a highly structured individual with a group of now seasoned professors.

I could not imagine being the people who have to be the ones who manage a brand new, totally accelerated program, or the students that will be in that situation.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you aren't a Republican or religious, AZ is not the state to come to. You will be very inundated with both of those things you desire to avoid. Many of the public universities have Christian clubs even the vet school and AZ bleeds red politically.

Not sure what made you bring that up to begin with, but just a fair warning that you aren't getting away from those things coming to AZ.

The rest of the post, I think you just need to reread what people really said. You're taking offense to things never stated nor implied.

Reactions: 5 users
If you aren't a Republican or religious, AZ is not the state to come to. You will be very inundated with both of those things you desire to avoid. Many of the public universities have Christian clubs even the vet school and AZ bleeds red politically.

Not sure what made you bring that up to begin with, but just a fair warning that you aren't getting away from those things coming to AZ.

The rest of the post, I think you just need to reread what people really said. You're taking offense to things never stated nor implied.

I almost mentioned this as well. Why trade one red state for another if politics are so important to you?

I have submitted a complete rehaul of the second year curriculum from start to end in response to a survey sent from our SAVMA class reps on how to make second year (notoriously our worst year, particularly the first quarter) better. When I say complete rehaul, I mean a complete rehaul. Moving classes around, shortening them, lengthening, etc. Frankly, our second year is horribly organized to me (baring my personal issues I had last year), and is managed by the most organized professional within the entire vet med campus (definitely not her fault; its the curriculum's inherent faults that make it trash).
I mean TECHNICALLY I submitted it :rofl:

Since the schools doesn't require the GRE are we supposed to still report it on the application? Can I just pretend like it never happened?

Can we submit before our letters are sent? Also, do they let you know when your letter is submitted like vmcas did?

Can we submit before our letters are sent? Also, do they let you know when your letter is submitted like vmcas did?
Yea they let you know when they've received a letter of recommendation but I'm not sure if you can submit before they've received them

Since the schools doesn't require the GRE are we supposed to still report it on the application? Can I just pretend like it never happened?

Yes that’s the idea anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know with VMCAS we can but i didn’t want to risk it so i waited

I submitted before my letters were sent. I’m pretty sure it’s okay as of right now because the application deadline for Fall 2020 isn’t until November 17th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I submitted before my letters were sent. I’m pretty sure it’s okay as of right now because the application deadline for Fall 2020 isn’t until November 17th.

I also submitted mine before my 2nd letter was submitted. It gave me no issues.

Does anyone know how much the application cost to submit.

how did y’all submit your unofficial transcripts

I didn’t yet. I just put everything in the transcript entry section. I emailed them about this and this is what they said:
Adjustments.JPG

Has anyone received any kind of notification from the University after submitting your application verifying receipt?

Nope not directly from uoa, just from the app itself.

Has anyone else had trouble fitting the experiences info within the character limits? 2000 seems awfully short when VMCAS allowed 500 just for descriptions, not including the other info they want to fit with it. I emailed the school but they weren’t terribly helpful when my friend asked them a question a few weeks ago.

Has anyone else had trouble fitting the experiences info within the character limits? 2000 seems awfully short when VMCAS allowed 500 just for descriptions, not including the other info they want to fit with it. I emailed the school but they weren’t terribly helpful when my friend asked them a question a few weeks ago.
I also had trouble with this. I ended up moving a couple things and shortening my descriptions a bit. Still very weird character limit

I had that issues as well. The school just told me that I had to figure out a way to shorten it. I did, but I kinda combined some experiences and the information. Like some entries were all from the same place, so I only entered the contact information once. Do the best you can

From a future faculty member: they are planning to try and limit time in class to 25 hours/week. Teaching style to be determined but something similar to PBL/systems/case based NOT traditional lecturing. Just thought I'd share what I had learned with future applicants

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone have an idea on roughly how many may be applying? I’m curious to see how many of us are going to try to be the first class!

Does anyone have an idea on roughly how many may be applying? I’m curious to see how many of us are going to try to be the first class!

No one is going to be able to give any sort of number until the app closes, I think. Maybe lower than a lot of schools, but they'll have plenty of applicants to choose from.

For reference, I asked a faculty member at LMU what numbers they saw the first time and he said roughly 300 applicants. Another faculty member said about 200 worthy applicants applied. This was free though and didn’t require some of the things LMU did so maybe more? I’m excited to find out!!

No one is going to be able to give any sort of number until the app closes, I think. Maybe lower than a lot of schools, but they'll have plenty of applicants to choose from.
I agree with this. Not only is it a brand new vet school, which does (understandably) turn some people off, but I’d also speculate that application numbers for this cycle are likely going to be even lower because U of A didn’t/wasn’t able to go through VMCAS, so there was less exposure to potential applicants in general. Pre-vets would have to be at least somewhat in the loop with goings-on to know that the school is accepting applications this cycle. By contrast, MWU and LMU were both already going through VMCAS at the time they began accepting applications for their inaugural classes.

I could see application numbers to U of A being higher next cycle since it will be listed as an available program through VMCAS (same thing with LIU).

But, I mean, that’s just me theorizing. It’ll certainly be interesting to see how the numbers play out.

Reactions: 1 users
Was the application fee waved?

There was no application fee on GradCas or on the website. It was nothing to apply and you just needed to upload your unofficial transcripts, CV, and enter the pre-reqs by hand. They had a few addition questions for you to answer, but they are in-line with most additional questions. The biggest drawback was that nothing was transferable. You had to copy and paste everything over. It took some time if you had a lot of experiences to enter.

There were 400 applicants as of last Wednesday (boss went to open house). They were also expecting another 400, though I’m not sure how that was predicted. Maybe open apps on GradCas?

When I spoke to someone from admissions over the phone, they said they are going to try to have 55 individuals from Arizona and the other 55 out of state. However, she said that number is not set in stone and depends on the application pool. Curious when we will start hearing something!

When I spoke to someone from admissions over the phone, they said they are going to try to have 55 individuals from Arizona and the other 55 out of state. However, she said that number is not set in stone and depends on the application pool. Curious when we will start hearing something!

They said mid December to hear about interviews

Does anyone have an updated number of how many applicants they received once the deadline hit? Curious to see what happens in the next month.

Does anyone have an updated number of how many applicants they received once the deadline hit? Curious to see what happens in the next month.

I’m curious about this as well, i feel like 800 is a large amount but would be understandable with the number of applicants increasing like it is.