University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you happen to know what their motivation is for having a part-time job?

One of the kids works at a hospital and the other works for the university so his tuition is reimbursed... I think. So, I don't think it's the salary that is motivating them most substantially in either case.

And to answer your question about the year off DerArzt, there are definitely situations where students decide to take a year off. Some do research for a year, some have medical issues, others have remediation issues, and some probably have other issues too. Regardless, you've got to have a good reason and you've got to clear it first with the dean(s).

Members don't see this ad.

Can somebody give me a few examples (appartment complex names or major interestions) of where the current med students stay.

I have never been to tucson (except for the interview) and have no clue about the areas.

Thanks.

Can somebody give me a few examples (appartment complex names or major interestions) of where the current med students stay.

I have never been to tucson (except for the interview) and have no clue about the areas.

Thanks.

how close do you want to live to the medical campus?

some places i might suggest (keep in mind, that a lot of apartment complexes have TONS of undergrads)

Park Place Condominiums - these are more like condos, but quieter then apts....little further away (Roger and Mountain)
University Heights (Speedway and Park)
The Seasons (1st and Wetmore)
Entrada Real Apartments (Stone and just south of Speedway)

there's a start.

if you could give me more of an idea where you would like to live (how close to school? does it matter?) house vs apt vs condos? price range? environment (lots of undergrad vs less undergrad; note: there are undergrads everywhere) or quiet vs loud.....i can give you more suggestions. i would prefer to stay in a house IMO.....i've done dorms, condo, apt, and house and house is best and not even necessarily the most expensive, loudest, and least convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
how close do you want to live to the medical campus?

some places i might suggest (keep in mind, that a lot of apartment complexes have TONS of undergrads)

Park Place Condominiums - these are more like condos, but quieter then apts....little further away (Roger and Mountain)
University Heights (Speedway and Park)
The Seasons (1st and Wetmore)
Entrada Real Apartments (Stone and just south of Speedway)

there's a start.

if you could give me more of an idea where you would like to live (how close to school? does it matter?) house vs apt vs condos? price range? environment (lots of undergrad vs less undergrad; note: there are undergrads everywhere) or quiet vs loud.....i can give you more suggestions. i would prefer to stay in a house IMO.....i've done dorms, condo, apt, and house and house is best and not even necessarily the most expensive, loudest, and least convenient.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have never actually lived alone (parents live in Tempe) so I am not really sure as to what I am looking for exactly.

I know that I do not want to be in a loud place, I guess within a 10 minute drive from campus, $400 ~ $500 (+ utilities) per month, and w/d on site (ideally in the unit).

Would it better to have other med students as roommates?

Hey guys. Hope I'm not posting on here prematurely, but I'm #16 on Tucson waitlist and hopefully will get pulled off soon :xf:. I'm trying to learn more about Tucson early, so I can make a decision quickly once I get accepted of the WL.

Does anyone know if there are a lot of opportunities to do away rotations in 3rd and 4th years? I've lived in AZ for 13 years, and if I do stay for med school, I would like to experience other parts of the country and visit other teaching hospitals that I might be interested in for residency.

Thanks! Maybe I'll see you Tucson-ers in the fall. =]

If you can find 1-3 other med student roommates, you could get a bigger nicer place, plus they're going to be just as studious as you.

Hey guys. Hope I'm not posting on here prematurely, but I'm #16 on Tucson waitlist and hopefully will get pulled off soon :xf:. I'm trying to learn more about Tucson early, so I can make a decision quickly once I get accepted of the WL.

Does anyone know if there are a lot of opportunities to do away rotations in 3rd and 4th years? I've lived in AZ for 13 years, and if I do stay for med school, I would like to experience other parts of the country and visit other teaching hospitals that I might be interested in for residency.

Thanks! Maybe I'll see you Tucson-ers in the fall. =]

#16 on the waitlist? You're as good as in, as far as I'm concerned feel free to post on here at will.

As for 3rd and 4th year rotations, UA has a lot of options. I was just down in Tucson for the past few days (hence my absence here on SDN), and I was talking to a second year who is moving back up to Phoenix to do all of her rotations. As for away rotations out of state, that is something that is most often done during your fourth year in the specialty you are applying to at programs you think you want to do your residency at. From what I can tell UA gives you enough time to do 3 away rotations during your fourth year (3x 4 weeks at each program), but I'm not 100% sure about this. Keep in mind though that you have to pay to go to these away rotations, Also, you are going to do them where you would want to do residency, so if you want to do residency in AZ near family where you may want to practice medicine then you'll want to stay in AZ for aways.

Hey guys. Hope I'm not posting on here prematurely, but I'm #16 on Tucson waitlist and hopefully will get pulled off soon :xf:.

I don't think there's any requirement that you have to be accepted to this medical school to post on this forum. Lrkoehle isn't even a student, he's just a crazy old janitor at U of A who stumbled upon an old Macintosh in the basement and likes to pretend that he's going to be a doctor when he's not mopping freshman vomit off the floor in the dorms. :)

Best of luck to you! You should be pulled off the waitlist any day now.

I don't think there's any requirement that you have to be accepted to this medical school to post on this forum. Lrkoehle isn't even a student, he's just a crazy old janitor at U of A who stumbled upon an old Macintosh in the basement and likes to pretend that he's going to be a doctor when he's not mopping freshman vomit off the floor in the dorms. :)

Best of luck to you! You should be pulled off the waitlist any day now.

First of all, don't be such a jerk! We're called custodial engineers. Its the only job I could get with a bachelors degree from UA (JK JK :p).

Second, I may be the one they call to clean up the blood and vomit from the first year medical students who couldn't handle the first day of anatomy lab, but don't act like you don't want me. Think about it Shep, if you married me, you could get a tuition waiver to UA and go to med school for basically free.

Actually, my wife would love to get a job at UA to save us money on tuition. It doesn't even matter what it pays, because with the tuition waiver it would be 27k plus whatever she earns. Anybody know of any good jobs available at UA?

Actually, my wife would love to get a job at UA to save us money on tuition. It doesn't even matter what it pays, because with the tuition waiver it would be 27k plus whatever she earns. Anybody know of any good jobs available at UA?

Oh man I totally forgot about that tuition waiver thing. Time to get a mail-order bride from Russia who wants to be a custodial engineer!

Time to get a mail-order bride from Russia who wants to be a custodial engineer!

:laugh:

What you mean? You want me work and not give you sex all day? I am very angry at this agreement.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have never actually lived alone (parents live in Tempe) so I am not really sure as to what I am looking for exactly.

I know that I do not want to be in a loud place, I guess within a 10 minute drive from campus, $400 ~ $500 (+ utilities) per month, and w/d on site (ideally in the unit).

those prices are pretty easy to find in tucson within 10 minutes i think....if you live with a roommate. if you live by yourself, might be on the higher end...but they still do exist, at least apartment wise. search craigslist in Tucson as well as the Arizona Daily Wildcat classifieds for property rentals (huge section, and broken down by rentals/buys and houses/condos/apts and such.

if i end up going to tucson, i will be living with a pre-med and his gf. he will be applying to medical school and will likely be going to U of A in Tucson the following year, so he is basically a medical student (and he has over 2000 hrs working in a hospital).

i think there is an advantage to it......someone to study with, talk to about class, someone to help explain things if you dont understand....i lived with him and his g/f before, and actually two other guys as well, (she kind of moved in mid-yr and though she had her own place, she really was at our place 24/7 lol) and i really liked living like that (3 of the 4 of us guys were pre-med).

some say it is nice to live with someone who isnt a medical student....so you can talk about something else at home or not have to hear about someone else's stressful/hectic life/schedule. But i plan on living with a pre-medical/medical student if i do go down there.....my $0.02

ps...and roommates make it cheaper....you end up paying less rent, less utilities, etc. just make sure you are compatible with the person. i'm pretty easy going to i've never had any problems during college living with people (lived with one other person (1 yr), 2 other people (2 yrs), and 3 other people and one's gf for a yr lol)

if i end up going to tucson, i will be living with a pre-med and his gf. he will be applying to medical school and will likely be going to U of A in Tucson the following year, so he is basically a medical student (and he has over 2000 hrs working in a hospital).

Whoa whoa, don't jinx him now...:cool:

ps...and roommates make it cheaper....you end up paying less rent, less utilities, etc. just make sure you are compatible with the person. i'm pretty easy going to i've never had any problems during college living with people (lived with one other person (1 yr), 2 other people (2 yrs), and 3 other people and one's gf for a yr lol)

This is so true. I almost wish my wife and I could have a roommate, because we have been finding some bad ass houses that are just outside of our price range. With 3 people sharing a house a few miles from campus, you could get a great house. Plus, I think being a medical student and not some dumb, worthless undergrad (no, I don't like most undergrads) would be a HUGE selling point to a landlord. Would you rather rent to a med student who will be studying 95% of the time, or some 18-21 jackass undergrad who just wants to party and trash the place?

Whoa whoa, don't jinx him now...:cool:

This is so true. I almost wish my wife and I could have a roommate, because we have been finding some bad ass houses that are just outside of our price range. With 3 people sharing a house a few miles from campus, you could get a great house. Plus, I think being a medical student and not some dumb, worthless undergrad (no, I don't like most undergrads) would be a HUGE selling point to a landlord. Would you rather rent to a med student who will be studying 95% of the time, or some 18-21 jackass undergrad who just wants to party and trash the place?

haha.....hopefully i didnt jinx him. didnt mean to. we're both reapplicants (i applied this yr though and he is applying again in the fall)....and he has seriously fixed up his application weakness (as reported by UA admissions last yr) a lot. so he is confident, but obviously, you never know..... :)

yah....more roommates, nicer house, cheaper....like i was saying earlier, last yr, my 3 roommates and i rented a 2400 sq ft house with a 2 car garage, 2 stories, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, backyard....for a whopping 1600 a month. talk about a steal. house was amazing.

and the best way to avoid the annoying undergrads....is AVOID APARTMENTS! get a house somewhere. and there are plenty of houses in the sam hughes area just south and east of campus and houses north of speedway that have distance between them and other houses to avoid excess noise....but seriously, avoid apartments lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
So MadE posted about pre-MS-I vacation in the application thread, but not every one there is pre-MS-I yet. Anyways, since all of us here will be in medical school next year, what are you all doing this summer before school starts?

I just got an early graduation gift from my dad, his RCI timeshare. I think my wife and I are going to find a resort in the bahamas and just relax. I want to get soooooo bored with relaxing this summer, that I will be DYING to study come late July.

saving up for a trip to Europe. going to go with my best friend. i've never been and i figure this may be my last chance to do this in a long long time.

bahamas sounds nice too, though. haha.

yah....more roommates, nicer house, cheaper....like i was saying earlier, last yr, my 3 roommates and i rented a 2400 sq ft house with a 2 car garage, 2 stories, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, backyard....for a whopping 1600 a month. talk about a steal. house was amazing.

and the best way to avoid the annoying undergrads....is AVOID APARTMENTS! get a house somewhere. and there are plenty of houses in the sam hughes area just south and east of campus and houses north of speedway that have distance between them and other houses to avoid excess noise....but seriously, avoid apartments lol.

Yeah, screw apartments. They're usually too small anyways.

My wife and I just spent the past few days in Tucson, and we found the south Tucson area to be somewhat shady. Is south and east not so bad? What about west of the university (on the west side of the 10), do you know how safe/nice that area is? We thought it looked decent. Heck, I'd even consider being up near Marana if I could just shoot down the 10 to campus, the commute might wind up being too much though even with the widened freeway. I know there are people at the Phoenix campus who commute a fairly large distance, so maybe it would work...damn it, first I just wanted to know where I was going to go to medical school, now I just want to know where I am going to be living! Ahhhh! :mad:

Yeah, screw apartments. They're usually too small anyways.

My wife and I just spent the past few days in Tucson, and we found the south Tucson area to be somewhat shady. Is south and east not so bad? What about west of the university (on the west side of the 10), do you know how safe/nice that area is? We thought it looked decent. Heck, I'd even consider being up near Marana if I could just shoot down the 10 to campus, the commute might wind up being too much though even with the widened freeway. I know there are people at the Phoenix campus who commute a fairly large distance, so maybe it would work...damn it, first I just wanted to know where I was going to go to medical school, now I just want to know where I am going to be living! Ahhhh! :mad:

Marana is far....don't do it. and yes, south Tucson is shady/unsafe. I lived there last yr (by A mountain). thats also why i got such a good deal on the house haha.

the sam hughes area is JUST south and east of campus.....like between 6th and broadway and campbell and country club. its an old, historic residential neighborhood of tucson. quite nice actually and yes, safe.

west of university is fine as well, just dont go too south. i know a bunch of people that lived west of the I-10 (near the JW resort and the reserve (nice apt complex that is rather west)) in houses that were super nice. its a long commute, and morning traffic can be quite unfriendly in tucson if you dont leave at the right time. fortunately, they have finished most of the road construction so the driving conditions should be much better.

and marana, again, is way too far lol. don't do it.

Marana is far....don't do it. and yes, south Tucson is shady/unsafe. I lived there last yr (by A mountain). thats also why i got such a good deal on the house haha.

the sam hughes area is JUST south and east of campus.....like between 6th and broadway and campbell and country club. its an old, historic residential neighborhood of tucson. quite nice actually and yes, safe.

west of university is fine as well, just dont go too south. i know a bunch of people that lived west of the I-10 (near the JW resort and the reserve (nice apt complex that is rather west)) in houses that were super nice. its a long commute, and morning traffic can be quite unfriendly in tucson if you dont leave at the right time. fortunately, they have finished most of the road construction so the driving conditions should be much better.

and marana, again, is way too far lol. don't do it.

I don't think I would seriously consider Marana, but I'm sure there are some cheap houses to rent all the way out there. I'd really just like to live in the catalina foothills area, but then you end up paying a lot for location. Maybe I'll just commute down from Tempe everyday, it wouldn't be THAT bad. What about Sahaurita? That's probably as far as Marana, isn't it? I think its like 20 miles.

Why the hell can't Tucson have a real freeway system? Something like the loop 202 that would go east up near the foothills then south on the east side of Tucson and then back west to the I-10 through south Tucson. I found traveling east-west in Tucson to be a serious pain in the ass. I guess I'm just spoiled with Phoenix where no matter where you want to go there is a freeway to get you there. Within like 5-10 miles of my place right now there is the 101, 202, 60, 10, and the 51.

I don't think I would seriously consider Marana, but I'm sure there are some cheap houses to rent all the way out there. I'd really just like to live in the catalina foothills area, but then you end up paying a lot for location. Maybe I'll just commute down from Tempe everyday, it wouldn't be THAT bad. What about Sahaurita? That's probably as far as Marana, isn't it? I think its like 20 miles.

Why the hell can't Tucson have a real freeway system? Something like the loop 202 that would go east up near the foothills then south on the east side of Tucson and then back west to the I-10 through south Tucson. I found traveling east-west in Tucson to be a serious pain in the ass. I guess I'm just spoiled with Phoenix where no matter where you want to go there is a freeway to get you there. Within like 5-10 miles of my place right now there is the 101, 202, 60, 10, and the 51.

sahaurita is far. i dated girl there that ironically went to ASU.....its far.

and yes, going east, west, AND north, south can be a pain in tucson. the traffic on campbell going n/s and speedway going e/w in mornings and evenings are bad. there is a more intricate highway system than just the the i-10....kind of....but its a bit further south of campus and really only goes south from there. so not as functional.

foothills is really nice...like scottsdale but more desert-y lol. but again, you're going to be paying $$$ to live up there. there is an area that is really nice near the JW. the neighborhood is called Starr Pass....there are some really nice houses there and it is a VERY nice area. check out houses over there if you want to live in a place like the foothills as well. super safe as well.

I'm sure its something obvious, but what is "the JW?"

oh...lol my bad....JW Marriott....i also refer to it as the JW for short. the one in tucson is the Starr Pass JW Marriott. there is a golf course back there and it is like a resort. haha....but yah, Starr Pass area is nice. if you like the foothills safety and nice houses, this is also a nice area to check out.

I noticed the evite for second look weekend says 1-2 p.m., that's not right, is it? I thought it was originally 2-5. Is it 1-5 now? When the heck should I get there?

I noticed the evite for second look weekend says 1-2 p.m., that's not right, is it? I thought it was originally 2-5. Is it 1-5 now? When the heck should I get there?

mine says 1-2. where do you see 1-5? i think it was changed. tanisha sent out an update

"Hi,

I've made some changes to my invitation, UA COLLEGE OF MEDICINE SECOND LOOK PROGRAM. Please view the invitation to see the updated information.

Thanks,
Tanisha Johnson"

so thats probably it. idk. i hope its more than one hour. heck....phoenix's is like over 2 or 3 days

mine says 1-2. where do you see 1-5? i think it was changed. tanisha sent out an update

"Hi,

I've made some changes to my invitation, UA COLLEGE OF MEDICINE SECOND LOOK PROGRAM. Please view the invitation to see the updated information.

Thanks,
Tanisha Johnson"

so thats probably it. idk. i hope its more than one hour. heck....phoenix's is like over 2 or 3 days

It doesn't say 1-5 anywhere, but it used to be 2-5 I thought. I will be pissed if it is really 1-2. One hour? What a f*cking waste of my time! I'll be coming down that weekend to find housing, but still what a serious waste. If its one hour, I'll consider that an pre-MS-I f-you to all of us incoming students. Its like saying, "we care so little about you coming to our school that we're only going to spend an hour trying to convince you to come here after you acceptance." I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, where they don't care about their students.

It doesn't say 1-5 anywhere, but it used to be 2-5 I thought. I will be pissed if it is really 1-2. One hour? What a f*cking waste of my time! I'll be coming down that weekend to find housing, but still what a serious waste. If its one hour, I'll consider that an pre-MS-I f-you to all of us incoming students. Its like saying, "we care so little about you coming to our school that we're only going to spend an hour trying to convince you to come here after you acceptance." I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, where they don't care about their students.

Phoenix is taking us to a Diamondbacks game. And that's just one of the three second look days! Hee hee!

Phoenix is taking us to a Diamondbacks game. And that's just one of the three second look days! Hee hee!

See this is my f*cking point. Both schools are UA, so why is there such a god damn difference? I still think Tucson is the better fit for me, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little less sure of this.

Damn it, this is why that stupid two week forced decision between Phoenix and Tucson is stupid as hell. I'd love to be able to go to Phoenix's 2nd look and Tucson's 2nd look and THEN decide. The whole point of a 2nd look is for the school to sell itself to undecided students and let those who have decided to get to know their future classmates. How would that happen in an hour? I don't think it is actually going to be an hour, but I'll call on Monday to find out. Regardless of what I find out, I think Phoenix and Tucson need to get on the same page with this stuff. If Phoenix has the funding for 3 days of baseball games, strippers, and cocaine, then god damn it I want the same treatment down in the old pueblo...

Damn it, this is why that stupid two week forced decision between Phoenix and Tucson is stupid as hell. I'd love to be able to go to Phoenix's 2nd look and Tucson's 2nd look and THEN decide. The whole point of a 2nd look is for the school to sell itself to undecided students and let those who have decided to get to know their future classmates. How would that happen in an hour? I don't think it is actually going to be an hour, but I'll call on Monday to find out. Regardless of what I find out, I think Phoenix and Tucson need to get on the same page with this stuff. If Phoenix has the funding for 3 days of baseball games, strippers, and cocaine, then god damn it I want the same treatment down in the old pueblo...

I think we have to bring our own coke but the strippers are definitely provided.

I think we have to bring our own coke but the strippers are definitely provided.

I've already reserved my 3. I heard Tucson's second look will only let you have 1.

No, but seriously, it is kind of weird that second look down south is a four hour long event. All the other ones I've been invited to are called second look 'weekends.' As for the two week turn around time when a decision has to be made, Phoenix was great about offering for a personal revisit to help with that decision in their emails to me. Tucson was like, oh, yeah, make a choice. I'm sure that they would have welcomed you coming down though, had you asked them.

No, but seriously, it is kind of weird that second look down south is a four hour long event. All the other ones I've been invited to are called second look 'weekends.' As for the two week turn around time when a decision has to be made, Phoenix was great about offering for a personal revisit to help with that decision in their emails to me. Tucson was like, oh, yeah, make a choice. I'm sure that they would have welcomed you coming down though, had you asked them.

Yeah, Phoenix was great about trying to set up a visit with me too. I just don't know if that would have made the decision easier or harder to make in 2 weeks. It also didn't help that my acceptance came through in the first round on Dec. 4th right before finals and me going to an interview at SLU. I wouldn't have been able to make it to a visit until about the two week mark anyways.

As for second look, I'm going to turn it into a full weekend event, so Tucson can just deal with it. Honestly though, I think the weekend vs afternoon visit comes down to tradition/history. Tucson is historically the state medical school available exclusively to AZ residents, and as such there hasn't been much of a reason for them to try to sell themselves to accepted students. Basically, if you wanted to stay instate, you didn't have a choice, so why make the big deal out of it. Phoenix on the other hand is newer and therefore has had a reason to try to sell themselves to students who may have otherwise gone to the more established Tucson campus. With OOSers coming this year, I think both campuses need to do a second look weekend to sell themselves to CA residents who could go spend 45k per year on tuition at any number of other schools. Considering there was what 3000-4000 OOSers at $100 per secondary, that's $300,000-400,000. I think they can put some of that towards second look.

As for second look, I'm going to turn it into a full weekend event, so Tucson can just deal with it. Honestly though, I think the weekend vs afternoon visit comes down to tradition/history. Tucson is historically the state medical school available exclusively to AZ residents, and as such there hasn't been much of a reason for them to try to sell themselves to accepted students. Basically, if you wanted to stay instate, you didn't have a choice, so why make the big deal out of it. Phoenix on the other hand is newer and therefore has had a reason to try to sell themselves to students who may have otherwise gone to the more established Tucson campus. With OOSers coming this year, I think both campuses need to do a second look weekend to sell themselves to CA residents who could go spend 45k per year on tuition at any number of other schools. Considering there was what 3000-4000 OOSers at $100 per secondary, that's $300,000-400,000. I think they can put some of that towards second look.

Good point. Hopefully someone is reading this thread and taking notes.

--

And, I thought the JW Marriot area was super nice. I don't know how affordable it is though... maybe if you head a little further east out from the hills. I stayed at the JW while I was interviewing last year. It was really nice. I wanted to play the golf course, but my wife already had spent all of our money at the spa at the JW. Hahahaha.

Your pre-MS1 vacation sounds awesome. I spent a month in Ecuador and a week boating around in the galapagos islands. So much fun, and we actually made it a pretty affordable trip. We just had to find an organization that had some native Ecuadorian connections (no, not those kinds of connections, LRK-you and your terrible cocaine problem... sheesh) who could find us some sweet deals. But, still, I have a picture of myself on my computer lounging in a hammock in Canoa, Ecuador. It's nice to be able to minimize my OneNote full of Pulmonary physiology and think back to how nice that was to de-stress all throughout MS1.

Point is... do something fun and memorable. Because all of your memory capacity will soon be consumed by physiology, pharmacology, and memorize-this-relationship-ology.

--

And, speaking of the Carlton (on the school specific thread)... my buddies and I were trying to pull it off at the cue club last night. It was pretty bad.

I seem to remember someone mentioning a certain number of students from Tucson may apply to do rotations at Phoenix hospitals during clinical years.. anyone know the number?

edit: Also, are away rotations possible in the 4th year?

Last edited:
I seem to remember someone mentioning a certain number of students from Tucson may apply to do rotations at Phoenix hospitals during clinical years.. anyone know the number?

edit: Also, are away rotations possible in the 4th year?

I don't know how many can apply for 3rd and 4th year in phx, but I imagine as phx expands in the future that number will decrease (fortunately that won't affect us). I actually know a 2nd year in tucson who is coming up to phx next year for her last two years.

As for 4th year away rotations (aka audition rotation), you can certainly those as well. You should be able to do 2-3 aways. Any current students know exactly how many audition rotations are allowed?

looks like second look for Tucson has been updated again, and the program will now indeed conclude at 5......and apparently then, there will be a new student reception at Gentle Ben's.....now THAT'S what I'm talking about. that's more like it. :)

looks like second look for Tucson has been updated again, and the program will now indeed conclude at 5......and apparently then, there will be a new student reception at Gentle Ben's.....now THAT'S what I'm talking about. that's more like it. :)

Yup, you're welcome. It was going to end at 2, but I emailed Tanisha and was like, "NO! It WILL go until at least 5, and I want to go out to get some brewskies!" Actually, I did email Tanisha asking about the timing, and then she added the clarification. The response was quite prompt, so that's always a good sign.

Yup, you're welcome. It was going to end at 2, but I emailed Tanisha and was like, "NO! It WILL go until at least 5, and I want to go out to get some brewskies!" Actually, I did email Tanisha asking about the timing, and then she added the clarification. The response was quite prompt, so that's always a good sign.

nice work. she does seem to be pretty responsive to emails (within minutes usually i've noticed). and yes, brewskies at gentle ben's....oh how i miss university dr. :love:

What would you guys do if you had two second looks scheduled the same days? I made the decision already but I'm looking for reassurance that I'm not crazy. Would you go to the school that you're already leaning very heavily towards going to, or the one that you didn't feel you had the best fit with but wanted to say you gave them the benefit of the doubt?

What would you guys do if you had two second looks scheduled the same days? I made the decision already but I'm looking for reassurance that I'm not crazy. Would you go to the school that you're already leaning very heavily towards going to, or the one that you didn't feel you had the best fit with but wanted to say you gave them the benefit of the doubt?

difficult decision. i would say go to the school that you werent sure about but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.....however....downside to this....if you end up not liking it and want to go to the other school, then figuring out your housing situation (roommates, etc) may become difficult. it all depends though...perhaps you already have potential roommates at the school you are leaning towards so that might not even be an issue for you.

nice work. she does seem to be pretty responsive to emails (within minutes usually i've noticed). and yes, brewskies at gentle ben's....oh how i miss university dr. :love:

If they didn't have quick responses at this stage, I'd be worried about how much they'll care once we start there.

As for Gentle Ben's, do they have good food? I probably won't be drinking; four years of medical school will surely provide me with ample opportunities to make a fool of myself, so there is no sense doing it the very first time I meet most of you...

This is a tough decision that those of us fortunate enough to have received multiple acceptances sometimes run into. I don't think there is a simple answer. Maybe flip a coin? If you've really researched both schools, then I don't think there is anything you will find at the second look that will change your mind. The only thing I can think of that second look can show you that you can't find on the school website or at the interview is who some of your future classmates will be, but that isn't really important anyways. Any school will have mostly awesome people, some of which you will get really close to and others that you probably won't be able to stand. Plus, in the end medical school is an individual thing, so while awesome classmates might be a nice thing on that rare Friday or Saturday night that you have no studying to do, it shouldn't way on your decision too much (this is obviously just my opinion though). I guess what I am saying is go to the second look at the school you are leaning heavily towards. That's where you're probably going to end up anyways, so go there and have a good time.

If they didn't have quick responses at this stage, I'd be worried about how much they'll care once we start there.

As for Gentle Ben's, do they have good food? I probably won't be drinking; four years of medical school will surely provide me with ample opportunities to make a fool of myself, so there is no sense doing it the very first time I meet most of you...

haha.....agreed

yes, gentle ben's has good food. i mean, it wont blow you away, but they definitely have some nice options. its mostly a restaurant downstairs and outside on the patio (though there is a bar downstairs IIRC) and upstairs is where most of the bar action takes place....thursdays-saturdays, that place is packed upstairs. i remember a couple of good times in college kicking back there after tests......most recently, right after my neurobiology final, several of my friends, fellow classmates, and the professor for the class met up there for drinks....and the professor even bought a round. he was awesome (one of my favs for sure).

haha.....agreed

yes, gentle ben's has good food. i mean, it wont blow you away, but they definitely have some nice options. its mostly a restaurant downstairs and outside on the patio (though there is a bar downstairs IIRC) and upstairs is where most of the bar action takes place....thursdays-saturdays, that place is packed upstairs. i remember a couple of good times in college kicking back there after tests......most recently, right after my neurobiology final, several of my friends, fellow classmates, and the professor for the class met up there for drinks....and the professor even bought a round. he was awesome (one of my favs for sure).

So wait, is there like a room for the 90+ people who will be at second look? I hope there's like a section of it just for us, because if I do start drinking I want to be stumbling from table to table with my future classmates, not from table to table with people who will in the future have a restraining order against me...

Hard decision. If it were me, I'd probably go to the school that didn't incur travel fees and the school I was most set on going to (to meet future classmates and to make sure the school was exactly what I envisioned it to be).

That said, if you've already chosen to 'second look' at the non-UAphx school... you're welcome to come follow me or one of my classmates around for a day if you haven't already. Just call Tara.

Hard decision. If it were me, I'd probably go to the school that didn't incur travel fees and the school I was most set on going to (to meet future classmates and to make sure the school was exactly what I envisioned it to be).

That said, if you've already chosen to 'second look' at the non-UAphx school... you're welcome to come follow me or one of my classmates around for a day if you haven't already. Just call Tara.

Yeah, I already chose to do the second look at the other school. I figured that in order to make the decision I know I already want to make, and make it without any regrets down the line I owe to it myself to say I had an open mind and investigated every possibility. I will definitely be talking to Tara soon about a revisit and I can't think of anyone better to spend it with, so I very well might take you up on that, Mad.

So wait, is there like a room for the 90+ people who will be at second look? I hope there's like a section of it just for us, because if I do start drinking I want to be stumbling from table to table with my future classmates, not from table to table with people who will in the future have a restraining order against me...

gentle bens is pretty huge, i think all of us should just get effed up, i plan on doing that at least

gentle bens is pretty huge, i think all of us should just get effed up, i plan on doing that at least

yo...ronweasley....lol....i better see you at gentle ben's then for sure after orientation. you still have the same number? i have a number for you in my phone. i dont recall getting it from you, but there's on in there lol.

No activity on this thread in almost two whole days??? C'mon guys, we're better than that. I just thought I'd share with all my fellow MS-0's that I have officially booked my summer vacation! I'm super excited about it. I just hope I don't kill too many brain cells on it, or it might make med school harder than it already is. I'm going down to central Mexico on the pacific coast. I look forward to the rest of you getting your summer vacations booked up soon too!

I just hope I don't kill too many brain cells on it, or it might make med school harder than it already is. I'm going down to central Mexico on the pacific coast.

Just make sure that brain cells are the only thing that get killed on that trip, buddy. Hate for you run into a cartel lord or something down there. I'm sure where ever you're going is one of the safer areas of the country but when you read stuff like 7,724 killed in 2009 (more than US casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan for the entire duration of those conflicts) you really wonder how a literal war is going on a couple hundred miles south of us and we don't hear very much or think very much about it. It's pretty crazy.

so tanisha certainly has been sending out a lot of the revisons for the second look....anyone get this most recent one today? its about march of dimes walk on Saturday, March 24th.....but i think she meant Saturday, April 24th.....should I send an email to her to mention that? I just don't want to be THAT guy....