University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
http://uanews.org/node/31043

What the hell is going on? Why did this happen? What does this change? What does this mean for the future?

I hope I'm still able to continue my research at ASU next year...

Members don't see this ad.

Does the Medical College at Tucson have fraternities with houses by any chance?

yes... well there are frat houses for undergraduates, not sure if there are different houses for graduate students?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, *I* developed both types of diabetes in the early '50s. The government paid me to do it, to keep poor people from misbehaving.

I felt like the combined, but at the same time not combined, process this year was a bit annoying. They make separate decisions, but use information from both interviews, why? Also, they make separate decisions, but then we as applicants are forced to make a decision within 2 weeks. They either need to be the same or different. I don't care which, they just needed to decide. Looks like they finally did.

I was talking more about saving time and money with secondaries.

Looks like I found my sandwich of choice for the next four years of lunches in medical school! Honestly though, that's not even the worst fast food "sandwich" (I'm not sure meat for bread = sandwich) out on the market. If you look at some of the regular offenders you'll find 700+ calories and ~50 or more grams of fat. I say if you really have to go to a fast food restaurant, get a grilled chicken salad, use no more than one package of salad dressing (even that will set you back ~15 g fat), and get a diet drink. If you do that, you should be able escape with your health relatively intact. Personally though, I'd recommend cooking in bulk at home so you can just package up some food quickly to take to school. I hope to continue that next year too.

I was talking more about saving time and money with secondaries.

I figured you were, and I do agree on those points. I hope with separate secondaries the fee for each drops to ~$50-60. I'm also curious to see how many people just apply to Phoenix and not Tucson, because I got the feeling that more OOSers wanted Phoenix than Tucson (although I have gotten the opposite impression from the IS people I talked to).

Looks like I found my sandwich of choice for the next four years of lunches in medical school! Honestly though, that's not even the worst fast food "sandwich" (I'm not sure meat for bread = sandwich) out on the market. If you look at some of the regular offenders you'll find 700+ calories and ~50 or more grams of fat.

Yeah, I just looked at the nutritional information now. How the hell is that beast only 540 calories? Unless the picture makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is. I can see cardiovascular surgeons all across the nation gleefully rubbing their hands and preparing to purchase a vacation home in Panama with all the business that monstrosity is going to bring them.

Yeah, I just looked at the nutritional information now. How the hell is that beast only 540 calories? Unless the picture makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is. I can see cardiovascular surgeons all across the nation gleefully rubbing their hands and preparing to purchase a vacation home in Panama with all the business that monstrosity is going to bring them.

If you want a bad sandwich, get the BK quad stacker. Its 930 Cal, 65 g fat (28 g sat'd., 2.5 g trans), and 1740 mg of sodium. Can I have a cardiologist with that, please? Oh and that doesn't even include the large fries...540 Cal and 27 g fat. The only positive about that meal is that it isn't loaded with sugar...oh wait, what's that? You want a coke with that? Well at least you're going to be good and JUST get a medium, which is only 79 g of sugar unless you get 2 or 3 refills (and why wouldn't you??? The freakin' refills are FREE!!!).

• 1760 calories
  • 92g fat
  • 34g saturated fat
  • 2.5g trans fat
  • 190mg cholesterol

• 179g carbs
  • 87g sugar
  • 64g protein
  • 2580mg sodium
This is the break down on that meal according to the BK website (not including any drink refills though). I hope you enjoy it, because this should be your only meal of the day...

Never mind on BK, I'm going to go to McDonald's to get a healthy Chicken Selects® Premium Breast Strips (5 pc). It sounds healthy enough at least! Well, according to the nutrition facts on the McD's website this premium 5 piece has 660 Cal and 40 g of fat. That puts the bacon chicken sandwich thing at KFC to shame. At least the KFC thing sounds bad for you, the premium breast strips sound like they could be somewhat healthy (I mean they're freakin' "premium" after all).

i have no idea. i was thinking the exact same thing. i know there are much worse options....but that must be the worst LOOKING for your health. must be a relatively "small" portion.

i have no idea. i was thinking the exact same thing. i know there are much worse options....but that must be the worst LOOKING for your health. must be a relatively "small" portion.

I agree. I'd be willing to be most people would get at least 2 or 3 per sitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad that all this talking about it kind of makes me want one?

I feel like I should have at least one. I mean, who are we to judge this bacon meat-wich when we haven't even had one? Maybe on my next cheat day that isn't Easter I'll try one...

So as I sit here lazily watching the final four thinking I should go workout, I decided to look over the mail that came in over the past two days (no, the mail is not a priority of mine). I found some mail from the feds regarding my students loans. Now, I knew basically how much money I owed in loans, but actually seeing the number on paper made it feel that much more real and that much more official...I owe $17,975. Damn, that feels like a lot. I know med school will add a lot more, but just seeing numbers like that scares me. I've never at any point in my life had that much money, so it seems like a massive amount to have to repay. Anyways, I thought maybe it would be comforting for me to know about how miserable the rest of you feel about your undergrad student loans that you're taking into medical school (misery loves company after all). How much debt have you all accrued over the past 4-5 years of undergrad?

Maybe we can all pitch in and buy the person with the most debt one of those KFC sandwiches.

Not me LRK! I'm hella rich. 0 debt, thousands in checking, hundreds of thousands in savings.
:rolleyes:
:confused:
:sleep:
:eek:

OH MY GOD I'M DREAMING! Yea, I have about 27k right now in debt. And, it doesn't look like I am gonna be headed toward making that number smaller anytime soon. But, I'm gonna look at it like I look at everything in life.

Squinting in disbelief.

Senioritis is the polio of our generation, and I'm our generation's FDR.

Hey guys,

I'm starting to get really busy with my summer research so probably won't be coming here as often as I have in the past.

We're having a meeting with the dean on Monday about the UA-ASU divorce. Hopefully the split will be civil and the children (students) won't be significantly affected. :rolleyes: The main thing the students are worried about is faculty retention. Some of the ASU faculty we have are really great lecturers and teachers... so, if some faculty is lost then hopefully some of the decisions will be based on student feedback (surveys).

Strangely, I was awarded a scholarship on the same day that UA announced the UA-ASU split. Hopefully this continues. Our financial aid support staff member said that 2010 "will have more scholarship money than ever available next year". So, hopefully that 20% increase in tuition will be offset [at least] slightly by this. And, shep, continuing your research with ASU should be no problem.

Definitely ask questions about these things at 2nd look. I'll be posting my two cents once I know more.

...I guess I should change my signature...

so........i completely forgot about this, but are we supposed to receive acceptance packages in the mail from U of A in Tucson? I got accepted weeks and weeks ago and never got anything in the mail from Tucson. Is that normal? Or was I supposed to get something?.....like I did with Phoenix.

Your signature looks so weak now...

so........i completely forgot about this, but are we supposed to receive acceptance packages in the mail from U of A in Tucson? I got accepted weeks and weeks ago and never got anything in the mail from Tucson. Is that normal? Or was I supposed to get something?.....like I did with Phoenix.

When I emailed Tucson asking about that, I was told everything will be via email (kinda impersonal I guess, but more efficient). The thing I really want from them is my damn financial aid info! I submitted FAFSA super early (late January), and I'm still waiting. It better be them deciding if I should get a 30k or 35k grant.

When I emailed Tucson asking about that, I was told everything will be via email (kinda impersonal I guess, but more efficient). The thing I really want from them is my damn financial aid info! I submitted FAFSA super early (late January), and I'm still waiting. It better be them deciding if I should get a 30k or 35k grant.

ok good. glad to hear it wasn't just me. yah i'm dying to find out my financial aid...since so far, my other school i got accepted at i may not go to because it is so freaking expensive....but if i don't get a nice financial package, that could affect my decision. and i submitted mine i think the first possible day. blah. i hope they get that stuff to us soon.

ok good. glad to hear it wasn't just me. yah i'm dying to find out my financial aid...since so far, my other school i got accepted at i may not go to because it is so freaking expensive....but if i don't get a nice financial package, that could affect my decision. and i submitted mine i think the first possible day. blah. i hope they get that stuff to us soon.

I seem to remember seeing that we should have it in April, do you remember seeing anything about that? I'll have to check the financial aid webpage soon to see if there is any info there.

A quick search yielded a financial aid page titled "award notifications," just what we were looking for. It says April or May. I hope to god its not freakin' May...

here's the link: http://www.financial-aid.medicine.arizona.edu/awardnot.html

Does anyone know how to set up a UA email account?

um...i think here is where you register
https://netid.arizona.edu/newid.php

but they redid the entire system and now it runs on gmail...and the site for that is catmail.arizona.edu

i already have an account and my mail is automatically forwarding to my catmail account....but try those two links.

um...i think here is where you register
https://netid.arizona.edu/newid.php

but they redid the entire system and now it runs on gmail...and the site for that is catmail.arizona.edu

i already have an account and my mail is automatically forwarding to my catmail account....but try those two links.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need an ID number, so I'll just email admissions and ask them.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need an ID number, so I'll just email admissions and ask them.

ahhh yes.... when i registered for undergrad, i needed my student ID. being such, i anticipate U of A won't give its medical students their student ID's until at least after May 15th, maybe not even until orientation.

Hey guys,

I'm starting to get really busy with my summer research so probably won't be coming here as often as I have in the past.

We're having a meeting with the dean on Monday about the UA-ASU divorce. Hopefully the split will be civil and the children (students) won't be significantly affected. :rolleyes: The main thing the students are worried about is faculty retention. Some of the ASU faculty we have are really great lecturers and teachers... so, if some faculty is lost then hopefully some of the decisions will be based on student feedback (surveys).

Strangely, I was awarded a scholarship on the same day that UA announced the UA-ASU split. Hopefully this continues. Our financial aid support staff member said that 2010 "will have more scholarship money than ever available next year". So, hopefully that 20% increase in tuition will be offset [at least] slightly by this. And, shep, continuing your research with ASU should be no problem.

Definitely ask questions about these things at 2nd look. I'll be posting my two cents once I know more.

Any news on that town hall meeting you guys had?

Hey, which address do you send the official transcript to? Is it the PO Box address in the acceptance email? Thanks guys!

Finalized cost of attendance for First Year Med Commuter at Phoenix: $47,423.

:(

Any news on that town hall meeting you guys had?

Yeah, just had it yesterday afternoon.

It won't really affect second year students. It won't really affect incoming students, apart from what they were told about some of the specific locations of some amenities. These are the differences that we, as first year students, are going to probably notice between this year and next:

- Possible change in some of the ASU faculty that teaches here. I guess they are all welcome to stay and maintain a dual role working at ASU and teaching here at UACOM-Phx. It sounded like some would leave, some would decrease their teaching time committment, and some would stay on 100%. We don't know for sure, but that's what seems like is going to happen.

- Somewhat unrelated to the dissolution of the partnership (I guess this was already planned), bottom two floors of our research building is shifting its focus from biomedical informatics to wet lab research. Unsure how this will affect the future of biomedical informatics presence on our campus. Admins are saying that they hope to keep it as a strong presence since its one of the most special features of our school, but many of the students are hoping its presence diminishes since it is such a specialized field. The sentiment is... if it is such a specialized field, why are we teaching this to 1st/2nd year medical students? Why don't we just do a clinical informatics fellowship down the road if we're really interested in it?

- Possible change of scenery for some of the amenities offered. Support staff and the dean of students is working on ensuring we have comparable amenities that we had access to through our partership with ASU (downtown Y gym access, downtown ASU library access, ability to participate in intramural sports with ASU, etc). We were promised "similar, if not identical, amenities" at the town hall meeting, but they are still working on sorting out specific details.

Apart from these points, none of the changes are really going to affect the students. There will be quite a few changes due to the break up, but it will mainly affect how space is utilized in the new Health Sciences Education Building (ASU nursing will no longer have a presence there) and other aspects either far off down the road or unrelated to student life. A lot of other things were discussed, but these were the main points I recall/that were important to me. Feel free to message me with any questions you guys have.

See everyone at second look!

Thank you ever so much Mr. MadEvans.

On a sperate note:
Does anyone have a couch for me to crash on for Thursday (tomorrow) night in PHX? Ill be your best friend.

does anyone know what the dress attire is for Phoenix's 2nd look tomorrow? (the day event) Thanks!!:)

does anyone know what the dress attire is for Phoenix's 2nd look tomorrow? (the day event) Thanks!!:)

I'd recommend sleeveless to show off your guns. A great icebreaker is and always will be, "excuse me ma'am, can I see your ticket to gun show?" Then BAM! you unleash the dragons.

Honestly though, I would like to know what is appropriate second look attire, so I can be prepared for Tucson's second look in a couple of weeks.

I'd recommend sleeveless to show off your guns. A great icebreaker is and always will be, "excuse me ma'am, can I see your ticket to gun show?" Then BAM! you unleash the dragons.

Honestly though, I would like to know what is appropriate second look attire, so I can be prepared for Tucson's second look in a couple of weeks.

Well I was thinking maybe a crop top and turquoise spandex shorts. With Reebok pumps. And a matching windbreaker.

it's gonna be hot as hell. i'm thinking swim suit and a towel. maybe some sunblock. and definitely sunglasses.

im not wearing anything. ill be the naked guy there. rock out with my......(don't want the the mod to get mad)

Anyone know how the Phoenix second look is going? Don't tell me you're all there and not checking SDN. I know you have an iPhone or Blackberry, so keep us updated! Geez, where are the priorities of these phuture Phoenix students? THIS is why I chose Tucson...:rolleyes:

Anyone know how the Phoenix second look is going? Don't tell me you're all there and not checking SDN. I know you have an iPhone or Blackberry, so keep us updated! Geez, where are the priorities of these phuture Phoenix students? THIS is why I chose Tucson...:rolleyes:

lol.

So... the first house we made an offer on (in Gilbert) fell through - the bank decided to let it go to auction. We made an offer on a house in Ahwatukee on Friday, and the offer expires if we don't hear back by 10am (AZ local time) today. Haven't heard anything yet... :scared:

Maybe I'm not meant to go to U of A - Phoenix? I kept saying that as soon as we had a house, I would withdraw from all other schools. Maybe there's a reason that hasn't happened yet.

But I already have a cute UofA - Phoenix T-shirt that I bought on Friday!

So... the first house we made an offer on (in Gilbert) fell through - the bank decided to let it go to auction. We made an offer on a house in Ahwatukee on Friday, and the offer expires if we don't hear back by 10am (AZ local time) today. Haven't heard anything yet... :scared:

Maybe I'm not meant to go to U of A - Phoenix? I kept saying that as soon as we had a house, I would withdraw from all other schools. Maybe there's a reason that hasn't happened yet.

But I already have a cute UofA - Phoenix T-shirt that I bought on Friday!

Aw, c'mon, Salt - you HAVE to come to Phoenix! We actually had the same problems last year with purchasing our place - several fell through first, and we didn't get our place until about two weeks before school started. Made for a stressful time - got the place, got married three days later, moved everything in, then started school the next week (honeymooned over Winter Break)! Crazy! Hang in there, I really hope you come here!

You'll get a house! It's a long, exhausting process. Plus, you don't want to live in as far away as all that.

You really do HAVE to come to Phoenix. Who would I watch Steeler games with? Also, you don't want to live in Orlando.

You'll get a house! It's a long, exhausting process. Plus, you don't want to live in as far away as all that.

You really do HAVE to come to Phoenix. Who would I watch Steeler games with? Also, you don't want to live in Orlando.

You'll watch them with ME, that's who! Nah but really, I want to watch Steeler games with both of you! Woot woot, Steelers fans in AZ!

This forum is confusing. I'm trying to put real faces and names with internet handles. Now I'm confused as to if I've pegged everybody right :-/ Either way, it's fun.

This forum is confusing. I'm trying to put real faces and names with internet handles. Now I'm confused as to if I've pegged everybody right :-/ Either way, it's fun.

Erik and Logan have been pretty liberal with posting my picture (even though I never gave them permission to do so) over on the UA 2010 application thread. You can probably find it there if you go back a couple pages.