University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No activity on this thread in almost two whole days??? C'mon guys, we're better than that. I just thought I'd share with all my fellow MS-0's that I have officially booked my summer vacation! I'm super excited about it. I just hope I don't kill too many brain cells on it, or it might make med school harder than it already is. I'm going down to central Mexico on the pacific coast. I look forward to the rest of you getting your summer vacations booked up soon too!

I'm not an MS-0, but lrk, I thought you'd enjoy hearing my plans for the summer: Ortho internship in San Diego! Hellz yeah!

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure that brain cells are the only thing that get killed on that trip, buddy. Hate for you run into a cartel lord or something down there. I'm sure where ever you're going is one of the safer areas of the country but when you read stuff like 7,724 killed in 2009 (more than US casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan for the entire duration of those conflicts) you really wonder how a literal war is going on a couple hundred miles south of us and we don't hear very much or think very much about it. It's pretty crazy.

I'm going to Mazatlan, which is a big tourist town. The resorts keep the areas near them safe (not good for business when your guests keep getting killed), so I should be good. We're going to be smart about where we go though still. Plus, there should be four of us, so safety in numbers I guess.

so tanisha certainly has been sending out a lot of the revisons for the second look....anyone get this most recent one today? its about march of dimes walk on Saturday, March 24th.....but i think she meant Saturday, April 24th.....should I send an email to her to mention that? I just don't want to be THAT guy....

Yeah, she asked us to tell her if we were going to go, but the invitation isn't a new one its the same one for second look. How do I tell her I won't be at the march, but I will be at second look? I guess I don't. I also definitely won't be there if it is March 24th, because I had a test that morning. Oh, and March 24th was two days ago, so I would also need a time machine which I do not have...

I'm not an MS-0, but lrk, I thought you'd enjoy hearing my plans for the summer: Ortho internship in San Diego! Hellz yeah!

That's freakin' awesome! I'll PM you to ask for more details. I'd love to do something cool like that for my post-MS-I summer!

Oh, I also wanted to let you all know that the future is bright for us. See, I just finished eating lunch at Boston Market with my wife, and as we were leaving my wife saw this woman take a baby bottle (she had a baby with her mind you) and fill it up with Coke. That's right, Coke. Now I know I haven't been to med school yet and I'm not a parent, but I'm pretty freakin' sure baby bottles aren't meant to hold soda and babies aren't supposed to be drinking soda (perhaps a med student could confirm?). I could have been upset by this, but instead I realized that as future doctors we need mothers like this ****ing up their kids. Think about it. Brooother for instance wants to do ortho. Think of how f*cked up this kids bones will be because during his key developmental years his mother decided to substitute soda for milk or baby formula. That's basically money in the bank. As for you future pediatricians, this kid will likely mysteriously get childhood type II diabetes. Again, money in the bank. Ok, I hope its obvious that I am joking about this kid's potential future suffering as money for us as doctors. Seriously though, who the hell gives their infant child Coke in a baby bottle? Oh, and I'm pretty sure Boston Market doesn't sell baby bottles for drinks, so she probably didn't pay for the Coke she gave to her baby either. I guess she figures two negatives make a positive? As in the positive change in our future bank accounts! WOOT WOOT!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's freakin' awesome! I'll PM you to ask for more details. I'd love to do something cool like that for my post-MS-I summer!

Oh, I also wanted to let you all know that the future is bright for us. See, I just finished eating lunch at Boston Market with my wife, and as we were leaving my wife saw this woman take a baby bottle (she had a baby with her mind you) and fill it up with Coke. WOOT![/URL]

I started reading this and because it's Friday and my brain has been shut off for the week I was also kind of half sleeping while I was reading it so my eyes basically glazed over the first couple sentences and all I got out of it was "future is bright for us" "eating lunch with wife" "baby baby baby baby" so congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Lrkohele on the happy news!

I started reading this and because it's Friday and my brain has been shut off for the week I was also kind of half sleeping while I was reading it so my eyes basically glazed over the first couple sentences and all I got out of it was "future is bright for us" "eating lunch with wife" "baby baby baby baby" so congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Lrkohele on the happy news!

Thanks for the congratulations, I'll pass it along to the wife too. I'm glad to see you got out of my post exactly what I was hoping you would. We'll go ahead an name our baby after you, but probably shorten it to just Shep...

Thanks for the congratulations, I'll pass it along to the wife too. I'm glad to see you got out of my post exactly what I was hoping you would. We'll go ahead an name our baby after you, but probably shorten it to just Shep...

Make me Godfather (not just of your baby, but the entire Italian Mafia) and pay me $50 and it's a deal.

Any Phx students know any more about the new building starting construction soon? Also any idea when it might finish?

Make me Godfather (not just of your baby, but the entire Italian Mafia) and pay me $50 and it's a deal.

You pay me $50 and you got yourself a deal.

Any Phx students know any more about the new building starting construction soon? Also any idea when it might finish?

I asked about expansion at my interview, and if I recall correctly they indicated it wouldn't be in time to benefit those of us entering next year. I might be wrong though.

Oh, I also wanted to let you all know that the future is bright for us. See, I just finished eating lunch at Boston Market with my wife, and as we were leaving my wife saw this woman take a baby bottle (she had a baby with her mind you) and fill it up with Coke. That's right, Coke. Now I know I haven't been to med school yet and I'm not a parent, but I'm pretty freakin' sure baby bottles aren't meant to hold soda and babies aren't supposed to be drinking soda (perhaps a med student could confirm?). I could have been upset by this, but instead I realized that as future doctors we need mothers like this ****ing up their kids. Think about it. Brooother for instance wants to do ortho. Think of how f*cked up this kids bones will be because during his key developmental years his mother decided to substitute soda for milk or baby formula. That's basically money in the bank. As for you future pediatricians, this kid will likely mysteriously get childhood type II diabetes. Again, money in the bank. Ok, I hope its obvious that I am joking about this kid's potential future suffering as money for us as doctors. Seriously though, who the hell gives their infant child Coke in a baby bottle? Oh, and I'm pretty sure Boston Market doesn't sell baby bottles for drinks, so she probably didn't pay for the Coke she gave to her baby either. I guess she figures two negatives make a positive? As in the positive change in our future bank accounts! WOOT WOOT!

Look at the bright side, at least the coke in question is Coca-Cola....

Look at the bright side, at least the coke in question is Coca-Cola....

Seriously, I mean can you imagine if it was Pepsi? Gah-ross! What's that, oh you meant at least it was a coke baby and not a cocaine baby. I agree.

Done.

I asked about expansion at my interview, and if I recall correctly they indicated it wouldn't be in time to benefit those of us entering next year. I might be wrong though.

To be entirely honest, one of the main things driving my love for the Phoenix campus is the small class size. Looking to capture a tiny bit of that Mayo essence even if I can't go there :) I'm looking forward to having stronger interpersonal relationships with my classmates and professors than I did in college, and I think for someone not extremely extroverted like myself the small class size will help do that. So for me, at least, I'm a little glad that the size of the school won't be increasing for a couple of years. I think it'll be awesome once it is done and it's definitely something the state needs, but I'm enjoying the thought of the smaller atmosphere right now. :)

Seriously, I mean can you imagine if it was Pepsi? Gah-ross! What's that, oh you meant at least it was a coke baby and not a cocaine baby. I agree.

Pepsi would be worse than cocaine.

To be entirely honest, one of the main things driving my love for the Phoenix campus is the small class size. Looking to capture a tiny bit of that Mayo essence even if I can't go there :) I'm looking forward to having stronger interpersonal relationships with my classmates and professors than I did in college, and I think for someone not extremely extroverted like myself the small class size will help do that. So for me, at least, I'm a little glad that the size of the school won't be increasing for a couple of years. I think it'll be awesome once it is done and it's definitely something the state needs, but I'm enjoying the thought of the smaller atmosphere right now. :)

I completely agree with you here. One of the biggest draws about Phoenix is the small class size. If/when that goes away Phoenix will lose what to me was best reason to go to Phoenix over Tucson.

Hey guys! So i've been reading these threads for a while, and decided to finally post in hopes of getting some of my questions answered about U of A. I was accepted to Tucson back in mid-january and I'm now deciding between Tucson and several out of state options. I'm ultimately trying to see if my main out of state option is really worth the extra 60k it would appx cost me over the next four years. Ok so here it goes:

1.) I remember a while ago hearding comments with regards to the low Step 1 scores that Tucson students got this year. Anyone know what the class average was or the amount of people that didn't pass. I know a lot of it is based on personal studying, but still...i'd like to have an idea.

2.) I couldn't find anything on the website regarding the 3rd and 4th year required rotations, also, if we wanted to do those rotations in phoenix, what hospitals are affiliated with U of A, and do you do rotations with Phoenix students or do they use different hospitals?

3.) I went out of state for undergrad so general housing prices in Tucson. I would definitely want to live with a roommate or several roommates and i wouldn't mind having to communte even 10-15 minutes to have to get to school.

I know these are kind of random questions but any help would be awesome. Also, any other general comments about the school would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup: One of the main reasons I chose Phoenix, too. The curriculum, the capstones, and the friendly, laid-back people I met were also major factors.

I am one of those weird people who doesn't have a preference between Coke and Pepsi and Sam's Choice and RC Cola and the million other colas out there. And I CAN taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke, I just like both.

I heard that, if they break ground this spring, it may be open as early as 2012. So yeah, basically too late for my class or yours (though you may meet there for intersessions between third-year clerkships once in a while).

Hey guys! So i've been reading these threads for a while, and decided to finally post in hopes of getting some of my questions answered about U of A. I was accepted to Tucson back in mid-january and I'm now deciding between Tucson and several out of state options. I'm ultimately trying to see if my main out of state option (Loyola chicago) is really worth the extra 60k it would appx cost me over the next four years. Ok so here it goes:

We don't really seem to have any regular Tucson med student SDNers, so I guess I will try to answer some of your questions if I can.

1.) I remember a while ago hearding comments with regards to the low Step 1 scores that Tucson students got this year. Anyone know what the class average was or the amount of people that didn't pass. I know a lot of it is based on personal studying, but still...i'd like to have an idea.

I would like to hear what current students have been told about this issue. This may be controversial, but this is what I heard from a current MS-II in Tucson. She said that in her opinion there was a fair number of unqualified/under-qualified students at UA currently since the IS acceptance rate was so high. She indicated that this is probably part of the reason they started taking OOS applicants, because she said the state of Arizona did not have a large enough applicant pool for both Phoenix and Tucson campuses (for what its worth I also heard that from an adviser). Also, she mentioned the deans changing in the past couple of years, which I guess might affect the curriculum? I'm not sure. Plus, keep in mind that the students who took their Step I last year were the second class to go through the new curriculum that was unveiled in 2006, so there was almost certainly issues that needed to be worked out. For us entering this year, we will be the 5th class with this curriculum, so these "kinks" should be worked out just fine.

Not that I'm trying to drag Phoenix into this too, but I was told at Phoenix 2 of the 24 people that took Step I at Phoenix last year failed. That means 1 out of 12 (8.33%) failed, which would be like 9-10 people at Tucson failing. Like you said though, the boards are in individual test and responsibility for doing well on them falls squarely on the individual student's shoulders, not the school's.

2.) I couldn't find anything on the website regarding the 3rd and 4th year required rotations, also, if we wanted to do those rotations in phoenix, what hospitals are affiliated with U of A, and do you do rotations with Phoenix students or do they use different hospitals?

Here is a link to the med school schedules. You can select MS-III or IV and see the required rotations as well as the built in elective time in MS-III (great time to explore a residency choice!). If you search by location, you can scroll through to see the many places that rotations/electives are offered.

3.) Does Tucson sponsor any international immersion trips after first year or 4th year international electives?

Here is a link to the electives page for both Phoenix and Tucson. Scroll all the way to the bottom and you can choose which campus you want to look at.

4.) I went out of state for undergrad so general housing prices in Tucson. I would definitely want to live with a roommate or several roommates and i wouldn't mind having to communte even 10-15 minutes to have to get to school.

Be sure to come to second look on April 23. I'm sure you'll meet lots of other students interested in finding roommates. As for finding a place 10-15 minutes away, I think that is probably best. Avoid the undergrads.

Last edited:
anyone know if there is a facebook group made for Tucson?

Does anyone know if the 2010 Phx schedule (academic calendar) is posted yet? If so where this holy document might be?

If anyone is feeling very friendly at second look, would you keep your ears open for people looking for roommates? I can't make it that weekend, but definitely don't want to live alone. I'm a guy btw.

Wow...thanks so much lrkoehle, that was super helpful! I'll def. be at second look on the 23rd so i'm sure i'll see ya'll there. As for my last question, I was laying out and not paying attention to what I was writing. I meant to ask if anyone knew what housing prices were like around U of A. I'd hopefully have a roommate or 2, in order to cut the costs, and I'd be willing to live further from campus since I'm assuming that housing prices are higher the closer you are to campus. I'm trying to get as realistic of an idea as possible as to how much it would cost me to stay in state compared to out of state, and I feel like the numbers they post on their "budget" are somewhat inflated compared to what some people pay for rent.

Also, jturkel you were asking about the facebook group. There is actually one already started. It's called "university of Arizona College of medicine Class of 2014" just search for it and it should be the first one that pops up.

Anyone know when Phoenix starts orientation/classes? I heard July 19th from a buddy but I wanted to get a confirmation on that. I know that it starts that early because capstones are awesome, but that's still less of a summer break than I've ever had before. Have to make it worthwhile! :)

Anyone know when Phoenix starts orientation/classes? I heard July 19th from a buddy but I wanted to get a confirmation on that. I know that it starts that early because capstones are awesome, but that's still less of a summer break than I've ever had before. Have to make it worthwhile! :)

After first year I think its only like an 8 week summer (at least in Tucson). Then bye, bye summer breaks...FOREVER! :cry:

After first year I think its only like an 8 week summer (at least in Tucson). Then bye, bye summer breaks...FOREVER! :cry:

Wait you mean to tell me that as practicing physicians we will not have 12 week summer breaks, 4 week winter breaks, and 1 week to get super drunk in Mexico every spring? :eek:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Wow. Reading this thread has been a serious blast from the past. I love how six people are pretty much posting this entire thread. And half of them are Phoenix students. What ever happened to the scores of neurotic SDNers wringing their hands over the tiniest decisions? Those were good times though.

Looking forward to seeing those of you who are coming to second look next week. I'll be the guy in serious need of a haircut (I'm not hard to spot).

shepardsun: I just shadowed a doc who gets 9 weeks of vacation a year, so there's still hope for summer break!

Wait you mean to tell me that as practicing physicians we will not have 12 week summer breaks, 4 week winter breaks, and 1 week to get super drunk in Mexico every spring? :eek:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I think most practicing physicians just get drunk before rounds, so they don't have to go to Mexico. Problem solved.

More seriously though, the issue of vacation time really depends on you. If you run a solo practice, then no way will you be able to leave your patients for a month. However, if you're part of a large, group practice and you're one of the more senior doctors on staff, I don't see why you wouldn't have earned some good vacation time. Let the junior partners do all the work! Wait, that's going to be us in a few years...

Wow. Reading this thread has been a serious blast from the past. I love how six people are pretty much posting this entire thread. And half of them are Phoenix students. What ever happened to the scores of neurotic SDNers wringing their hands over the tiniest decisions? Those were good times though.

Looking forward to seeing those of you who are coming to second look next week. I'll be the guy in serious need of a haircut (I'm not hard to spot).

shepardsun: I just shadowed a doc who gets 9 weeks of vacation a year, so there's still hope for summer break!

I like your hair!

Oh, and change your status to "Medical Student" instead of "Pre-medical" already. :)

Is the 9-week vacation guy a radiologist?

Looking for the neurotic crazies stressing over tiny decisions? You're in the wrong place... Go here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=625446

Oh, and by the way, at second look... I'll be the one with the seriously huge muscles. Seriously.

I like your hair!

Oh, and change your status to "Medical Student" instead of "Pre-medical" already. :)

Is the 9-week vacation guy a radiologist?
I finally managed to get my status to change from premed, not sure why it wouldn't let me before.

And yes, the Doc with 9 weeks of vacation was a radiologist. He also reports that he "Doesn't work all that hard." He probably makes a ridiculously high salary too (I wasn't ballsy enough to ask though).

By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for MD-PhD programs, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received.

Hmmm can any current PHX students tell me what this means for people accepted to the Phoenix campus? Do we need to withdraw from all other schools by April 15th?

By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), April 30 for MD-PhD programs, each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received.

Hmmm can any current PHX students tell me what this means for people accepted to the Phoenix campus? Do we need to withdraw from all other schools by April 15th?

You should probably just call them. Is this whole April 15th thing new? I don't remember ever hearing about that. Oh and I don't think you need to withdraw from all other schools, just the ones you've been accepted too, so you can stay on that Mayo alternate list...

You should probably just call them. Is this whole April 15th thing new? I don't remember ever hearing about that. Oh and I don't think you need to withdraw from all other schools, just the ones you've been accepted too, so you can stay on that Mayo alternate list...

Yeah I don't remember ever hearing about it throughout this entire process. Weird. I wonder if they've just added it. And I don't have a very good feeling about the Mayo alternate list. Don't think there's going to be much movement at all....

Yeah, I don't remember that from last year. It seems like that would apply to Phoenix, since you'll start before July 30, but maybe they just consider UA-Tucson and UA-Phx to be one school for those purposes, and go with the fact that Tucson will start later. I have no clue, though - maybe email Tara or something.

Yeah I don't remember ever hearing about it throughout this entire process. Weird. I wonder if they've just added it. And I don't have a very good feeling about the Mayo alternate list. Don't think there's going to be much movement at all....

Don't worry about Mayo. I personally never liked Mayo, until I found out that they make fat-free Mayo that tastes just as good. Even still, I have always preferred mustard or more recently hot sauce. Damn, hot sauce is good on like everything. I guess to tie everything together, what I am saying is that given geographic location, more hot sauce will be in Arizona than will ever be in Minnesota, so the only logical choice for me was to go to UA. Damn it, now I'm hungry. Thanks a lot Shep!

i don't eat mayo. it grosses me out lol. ketchup and mustard FTW! oh and hot sauce too :cool:

So I emailed Tara about the traffic rules thing and it turns out the final deadline for both campuses is the 15th of May. Next year though, it switches to the 16th of April because Phoenix will have their very own AMCAS listing! Congratulations on reaching the big leagues, Phoenix :)

So I emailed Tara about the traffic rules thing and it turns out the final deadline for both campuses is the 15th of May. Next year though, it switches to the 16th of April because Phoenix will have their very own AMCAS listing! Congratulations on reaching the big leagues, Phoenix :)

Hooray, Phoenix!

Honestly, its about time. Does that mean that at 48 UA-Phoenix is officially the smallest medical school in the country? Its about time it gets credit for being smaller than any other school! I think that's honestly a really cool feature, and that they should try to keep it that way. If we want to fix the physician shortage in Arizona we as a state should invest in starting more residencies here, which should result in better physician retention (ie after 3-7 years of residency in AZ (getting married here, making connections, etc.) doctors will be more likely to stay). That's my two cents...(oh, and that's also me clearly going off on a tangent. Deal with it).

Honestly, its about time. Does that mean that at 48 UA-Phoenix is officially the smallest medical school in the country? Its about time it gets credit for being smaller than any other school! I think that's honestly a really cool feature, and that they should try to keep it that way. If we want to fix the physician shortage in Arizona we as a state should invest in starting more residencies here, which should result in better physician retention (ie after 3-7 years of residency in AZ (getting married here, making connections, etc.) doctors will be more likely to stay). That's my two cents...(oh, and that's also me clearly going off on a tangent. Deal with it).

I agree that I don't think Phoenix will be as special when it expands to a class of 150 or whatever number they are trying to hit. I'm just glad that I have the opportunity to take advantage of the small class as long as it lasts.

I think FIU's class size is 43.

I think FIU's class size is 43.

Yeah, now that you mention it I think the new Virginia Tech med school is as well. I guess small class sizes are the thing to do when you first establish your med school.

So does this mean that the next round of applicants won't have the benefit of a combined applications process? If so, sucks to be them...

Someone asked earlier and nobody answered-

Yes! There is a FB group for Tucson!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=277540448707&ref=ts

I think that link should work!

i did. and you definitely found me on fb lol. you probably realized that....just looking at my name and then my SDN handle. haha...i suppose we must be friends since it is official...i mean, it's on facebook for crying out loud so it must be thus ha.

http://uanews.org/node/31043

Arizona Board of Regents President Ernest Calderón today announced that an agreement has been reached that will allow Arizona State University to change its status at the College of Medicine in Phoenix. The University of Arizona will now assume full responsibility for operations of the college.
What the hell is going on? Why did this happen? What does this change? What does this mean for the future?

http://uanews.org/node/31043

What the hell is going on? Why did this happen? What does this change? What does this mean for the future?

Its just funding issues. I mean it was bound to happen. The whole idea of collaboration between giant organizations for the good of the people looks beautiful on paper, but at the end of the day the question still remains "Who is paying the bill?"

With the three universities facing such severe budget cuts last year and the state forcing a 2.75% further reduction in salaries this year, it made no sense for ASU to be putting resources for a lousy "in partnership with Arizona State University."

ASU should and hopefully will direct those resources to keeping the number of faculty and graduate students stable. UA has more experience in running a medical college and hence should be allowed to run it without the added step of getting ASU on board with everything. My 2 cents for the day. Thanks.

Maybe ASU will save enough money to where we can add more fancy decorations outside the MU.

Maybe ASU will save enough money to where we can add more fancy decorations outside the MU.

Oh yeah, the stupid pringles. I still don't understand the point of those things.

So does this mean that the next round of applicants won't have the benefit of a combined applications process? If so, sucks to be them...

I felt like the combined, but at the same time not combined, process this year was a bit annoying. They make separate decisions, but use information from both interviews, why? Also, they make separate decisions, but then we as applicants are forced to make a decision within 2 weeks. They either need to be the same or different. I don't care which, they just needed to decide. Looks like they finally did.

ASU should and hopefully will direct those resources to keeping the number of faculty and graduate students stable. UA has more experience in running a medical college and hence should be allowed to run it without the added step of getting ASU on board with everything. My 2 cents for the day. Thanks.

What ASU really ought to do is increase its admissions standards and keep out all the ******s we have here. I feel like a good 50% of the students on campus shouldn't be at a major university. Not necessarily because they aren't smart, but many are just immature and want to party. That's fine with me, but its a waste of state funding per student when people come to party. Take for instance the o chem lecture I grade for, its like 320 people, and I would say at least half of them have no business being there. They clearly aren't putting in the work, and it shows when they bomb every exam. Then they drop "pre-med" and get a phillosophy degree or something equally worthless. Speaking of, ASU should also severely limit the number of english, psych, phillosophy, sociology, etc. majors. These are useless degrees, and when hundreds of people graduate with them each year it is a total waste. The money going to these programs should instead be funneled to engineering and the sciences. Whatever, if we didn't have english majors, who would work at McDonald's, right?

As for establishing a medical campus, I'm sure ASU could have done a fine job. In fact, I think it would have been much easier for ASU to do it with all their facilities up here in the Phoenix area. ASU wouldn't have been forced to do any partnership with UA, because they could have done it on their own. Oh well, I guess UA is still trying to learn how to deal with not being the only major university in the state, so they fought to be the only state university with a medical school. Lame.

Does the Medical College at Tucson have fraternities with houses by any chance?