University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's definitely something I've wondered. I've heard vet schools respond saying that they have enough experience to make a safe estimate but the question "what happens if those 120 students you accepted all say yes this year, since all cycles are different?" keeps popping up at the back of my mind. It's not like you can just rescind an offer once it's made and the person pays their deposit, at least I'd hope not.
But odds are, that's never going to happen. People competitive enough to get into an OOS school are likely to get into their IS as well, and it's hard to pass up IS tuition unless there are extenuating circumstances, especially at a school like Illinois where gaining IS status after first year is next to impossible. I think I have heard of classes (not necessarily at U of I) ending up, say, 5 people too large and the school having to make accommodations (cramming extra chairs in classrooms, etc.). But they plan so carefully that it's rare.

On another note, it looks like they've gradually increased their number of OOS seats. The FAQ page on their website says they take 80-85% IS, then right below that and on other pages it says 80 IS/40 OOS, and then today we were told 70 IS/60 OOS (which is also an extra 10 seats). Just thought it was interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They account for students dropping out, too. We had one student leave after a few weeks of rotations my first year. And we started rotations the first day of school.

Heading home and wishing everyone a safe return trip!

1. @Felixor90, I know I saw you!! I was creeping haha.
2. I actually wasn't that impressed with my interview. Mine was only 15 minutes and was surprised at how general the questions were. I'm not sure if this means I blew it or not....I know everyone got the same questions. I was just surprised, that's all. 11 days or so and we'll know!
Why didn't you say hi?!?!?!?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
They account for students dropping out, too. We had one student leave after a few weeks of rotations my first year. And we started rotations the first day of school.
Good point. Dr. Foreman said in the morning info session that approximately 5-7 students will not finish with an entering class, although I'm not sure how many of those are voluntary and how many flunk out.

We had 4 or 5 total student losses. Then two opted to repeat 1st year. Then we accepted a few transfer students to fill the gaps to keep the number at about the same.

5-7 students seems like a pretty high number to lose, at least compared to some of the other schools I've seem that have been 1 or 2..... does anyone have theories as to why its so high?

5-7 students seems like a pretty high number to lose, at least compared to some of the other schools I've seem that have been 1 or 2..... does anyone have theories as to why its so high?

Not sure, but it is difficult for people to get out of a deep hole grade wise because for the whole quarter we only get one grade. So for first year you have only three grades and you need an average of 70% to pass first year. Typically about 70% of our grade for the quarter is based off of two tests.

Definitely felt like a closed file was more stressful and lead to a few awkward moments for me

Reactions: 1 users
Well at least interviews are only 25% of the equation!

I meant 2 out of the total 5 repeated first year. Some people left voluntarily because vet school wasn't for them, even though their grades were fine.

In my class we had one girl leave within the first 3 weeks. I'm not sure why because I never got to ask.

We're done we're done we're done!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm just curious. They don't even take a peek at the academic stuff for final decisions? It's 100% nonacademic and interview? Not even a tiny little glance? Not even the fall grades?

The website says that phase 2 (essays/experience/LORs) is worth 75% of the final decision and the interview is worth 25%. Phase 1 is not considered in the final decision.

The website says that phase 2 (essays/experience/LORs) is worth 75% of the final decision and the interview is worth 25%. Phase 1 is not considered in the final decision.
Yeah I read that but it just sounds too good to be true.

I agree, but I think since they only interviewed a few hundred applicants they know we are all academically competent. :)

I agree, but I think since they only interviewed a few hundred applicants they know we are all academically competent. :)
My GPAs beg to differ. I'm still surprised I even made it this far, lol.

I thought my interview was really good, and I absolutely love their curriculum, but I'm still feeling 50/50 about Illi.
Maybe it was because I got there in the afternoon and I missed out on the tour, because it was a Monday, or other factors, but I didn't feel as much student to interviewee interaction as I've seen at other interviews, and that bothered me a lot. Probably more than it should. And the OOS tuition freaks me out too because I know I want to do a residency, and I can't imagine handling that much debt on 30k a year for 4 years post graduation.
But on the other hand, I loooove therio and LA, and my interviewers told me that they just hired on an equine theriogenologist, and that makes me super excited! As well as the wide variety of electives in subjects that are of interest to me.
If I do get an acceptance, I'm going to have a lot of thinking to do :unsure:

Illinois was my dark horse, but I'm impressed with the curriculum and the candid nature of the folks I spoke to. :)

I thought my interview was really good, and I absolutely love their curriculum, but I'm still feeling 50/50 about Illi.
Maybe it was because I got there in the afternoon and I missed out on the tour, because it was a Monday, or other factors, but I didn't feel as much student to interviewee interaction as I've seen at other interviews, and that bothered me a lot. Probably more than it should. And the OOS tuition freaks me out too because I know I want to do a residency, and I can't imagine handling that much debt on 30k a year for 4 years post graduation.
But on the other hand, I loooove therio and LA, and my interviewers told me that they just hired on an equine theriogenologist, and that makes me super excited! As well as the wide variety of electives in subjects that are of interest to me.

Its a Monday, us students still have classes, and its Midterm week, not a good combination for optimizing student-on-applicant interactions.

Reactions: 2 users
Its a Monday, us students still have classes, and its Midterm week, not a good combination for optimizing student-on-applicant interactions.
All good points (good luck with exams!!), but for it being "Recruitment Day," it would have been very nice to have a better touring system. 2 students for very large tour groups made it for an unpleasant/confusing experience. The buildings were great to walk through, but I was only able to get bits and pieces throughout the tour. Plus, if anyone else had to sit in the overflow room for the info session, I assume you only heard bits and pieces of that as well. It seemed like they didn't do a trial run of that and I missed out on a lot of the bits of info and advice Dr. Foreman had to offer.

Yeah for my interview, I'm still surprised at the questions asked. While they did pertain to the profession (generally speaking), they were questions I've actually had at non-veterinary job interviews too (save for the one question that we were asked that actually had the work "veterinarian" in it!).

But seriously has it been 2 weeks yet?:rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah it probably had something to do with getting there late. I had a morning interview and the students were super friendly and interactive. One of them gave a girl private tours to a few people that had to leave before the tours started. Even the students that weren't helping out with the interviews offered me help with finding everything. I do agree that having a spillover room wasn't the most impressive thing ever. They should have just had more info sessions and kept it to one room. This is now my first choice out of the schools I've interviewed at so I can't wait to hear back from them!

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, I'm a little late on this but I loved Illinois! I thought the town seemed rather small but seems livable. My interview went well I thought, but it was 15 minutes as well, so who knows. I really want in though! :D

Ok, I'm a little late on this but I loved Illinois! I thought the town seemed rather small but seems livable. My interview went well I thought, but it was 15 minutes as well, so who knows. I really want in though! :D

I had to laugh when I first read this. My first thought was "man, this place is huge!"

Just goes to show how different people are :p

Reactions: 3 users
Not at all! Everyone who got an interview is considered academically capable, so you're now compared on qualities that grades can't reflect like leadership, experience, and people skills. I like the way that UIUC does it. GPA is definitely important, but can only say so much. Their first concern is setting a standard that selects students who can handle the academic program (there's always more qualified and deserving than can be admitted). So, the way the next portion is structured relies on qualities that would make for a successful veterinarian post graduation like commitment, leadership, and people skills. They KNOW you're prepared for class. Now they just want to know if you've got the makings of a good veterinarian.

Not at all! Everyone who got an interview is considered academically capable, so you're now compared on qualities that grades can't reflect like leadership, experience, and people skills. I like the way that UIUC does it. GPA is definitely important, but can only say so much. Their first concern is setting a standard that selects students who can handle the academic program (there's always more qualified and deserving than can be admitted). So, the way the next portion is structured relies on qualities that would make for a successful veterinarian post graduation like commitment, leadership, and people skills. They KNOW you're prepared for class. Now they just want to know if you've got the makings of a good veterinarian.
Yay :)

So am I getting this right out of the applicants interviewed 85/141 IS will be initially accepted and 120/209 OOS will be initially accepted?
So IS is like 60% and OOS is like 57%

So am I getting this right out of the applicants interviewed 85/141 IS will be initially accepted and 120/209 OOS will be initially accepted?
So IS is like 60% and OOS is like 57%
That's what my calculations say. Illinois is my only chance now, but it was my top choice to begin with, so I hope that my application is strong enough!

That's what my calculations say. Illinois is my only chance now, but it was my top choice to begin with, so I hope that my application is strong enough!

I really liked Illinois after seeing it! The students seemed very happy and the new curriculum seems like it is working very well! However, I was accepted to LMU and I really liked it there too! They are taking a similar approach to Illinois's new curriculum. Ughh I don't want to have to decide!

I really liked Illinois after seeing it! The students seemed very happy and the new curriculum seems like it is working very well! However, I was accepted to LMU and I really liked it there too! They are taking a similar approach to Illinois's new curriculum. Ughh I don't want to have to decide!
That does sound tough! I'm assuming since you're OOS at Illinois there's probably not much tuition difference, right? That does make things a little more complicated if you liked both programs.

As someone who wants the least amount of competition at this point, I highly highly recommend you withdraw your application for UofI and pay your LMU deposit right now. LMU is so much better. What are you waiting for?!? Call right now!!!

;)

Reactions: 5 users
As someone who wants the least amount of competition at this point, I highly highly recommend you withdraw your application for UofI and pay your LMU deposit right now. LMU is so much better. What are you waiting for?!? Call right now!!!

;)
:nod::laugh:

Haha sorry guys I really liked Illinois, so that isn't going to happen;)

Plus a 500 dollar deposit is more feasible than a 1250 one...Still don't know why LMU's is so high?

I recommend making a pros/cons list. My best friend and I both got accepted to UIUC but she was in love with Oklahoma State's vet school! So she's there! :) Decisions, decisions!

Plus a 500 dollar deposit is more feasible than a 1250 one...Still don't know why LMU's is so high?
Ow! $1250? That's a lot to just put out there before you have the chance to apply for loans! I wonder why they made it so high...

I'm not sure if it's the same at LMU, but at least at Illinois I think that $500 is put toward your first tuition bill. I haven't read that recently, but I think I saw it somewhere when I first considered applying to vet school way back when. They just want to make sure that you're actually committing so that you are less likely to say that you're coming and suddenly change your mind two weeks before school starts. Regardless, you'll have until April 15 to decide. Plenty of time for epic list-making.

Ow! $1250? That's a lot to just put out there before you have the chance to apply for loans! I wonder why they made it so high...

I'm not sure if it's the same at LMU, but at least at Illinois I think that $500 is put toward your first tuition bill. I haven't read that recently, but I think I saw it somewhere when I first considered applying to vet school way back when. They just want to make sure that you're actually committing so that you are less likely to say that you're coming and suddenly change your mind two weeks before school starts. Regardless, you'll have until April 15 to decide. Plenty of time for epic list-making.

Yep! It goes toward your tuition. Do you guys have any other questions, relating to school, or living here, etc, that weren't answered on interview day?

Yeah it does get applied to tuition, but to me it seems like a lot right off the bat.

I propose we OOSers start a funding campaign to pay for Haley's LMU deposit to knock out a competitor. :p

I see how it is no one wants to have me as a classmate :p

If I get accepted, I'll be choosing between KSU and Illinois. It'll probably ultimately be a pretty tough decision

I see how it is no one wants to have me as a classmate :p
Nooo I'm kidding I want you as a classmate!

No but seriously who's starting the funding campaign?

Since we are on the topic of competition, doesanyone know if 209 students actually interviewe'd or if that was the number of offers? I know I heard a few people declined their interviews.

I went back to the office because I lost my info packet and they had a sizable stack of packets from people that were no-shows. I'm sure a good chunk of those were from cancelled interviews due to flight cancellations, though.

Edit: I know they were no-shows because they were labeled with morning interview times that had already passed.

I went back to the office because I lost my info packet and they had a sizable stack of packets from people that were no-shows. I'm sure a good chunk of those were from cancelled interviews due to flight cancellations, though.

Edit: I know they were no-shows because they were labeled with morning interview times that had already passed.
Keep in mind that some of the no-shows may be interviewed later. During the info session, we were told that he understood that there were a lot of people on the east coast whose flights had been cancelled and were stuck at the airport. If I remember right, Dr. Foreman said he wasn't sure how they would be handled at the time, but the might be interviewed later. I also remember reading in last year's thread that they were doing some make-up interviews for the no-shows who had an emergency that day.

Keep in mind that some of the no-shows may be interviewed later. During the info session, we were told that he understood that there were a lot of people on the east coast whose flights had been cancelled and were stuck at the airport. If I remember right, Dr. Foreman said he wasn't sure how they would be handled at the time, but the might be interviewed later. I also remember reading in last year's thread that they were doing some make-up interviews for the no-shows who had an emergency that day.
They're doing the interviews for those that missed it due to weather on Thursday by phone. That's what he said during the info session I went to. I'm sure at least a few were just straight up no-shows though. There's been some of those at each interview I've been to.

I also was told th ere were some phone interviews that needed to be done. I got the impression a lot of people were no shows. The interview before mine was not there if they were they did a 5 minute interview since I was there 25 minutes before mine!

They're doing the interviews for those that missed it due to weather on Thursday by phone. That's what he said during the info session I went to. I'm sure at least a few were just straight up no-shows though. There's been some of those at each interview I've been to.
Oh, I'm sure there's at least a few blatant no-shows... It's probably more prominent for OOS students than for IS since you guys had more of a commute.