University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is presumably the downtown area is pretty dead. Eating at Dublin O'Neil's! Hope everyone makes it just fine!
Eat a Scottish egg for me. SUPER JEALOUS!

Members don't see this ad.

You are not leaving this place without meeting me! We've been through too much together with these schools for us to not meet in person. :p
Bahaha idk if it'll happen :( I'm going to be knocked out by 8pm tonight and leaving shortly after my interview tomorrow. You might be stuck with me for four years, enjoy your time without me while you can

Members don't see this ad :)
Bahaha idk if it'll happen :( I'm going to be knocked out by 8pm tonight and leaving shortly after my interview tomorrow. You might be stuck with me for four years, enjoy your time without me while you can
Ditto on the knocking out. I'm gonna be there at 7am.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still sitting on a plane in Chicago waiting to fly to Champaign. We've been delayed for over an hour due to various issues :( I really wanted to meet some of you tonight! Now I'm just hoping I can get there by the time my interview starts tomorrow morning.

Only a 9 hour drive for me, and I am really liking the area! I can't wait to see the school!

I'm still down for dinner with people. But I don't have a car :/

I'm still down for dinner with people. But I don't have a car :/
I can pick you up. I'm gonna go to Dublin Oneil's too. Anyone else need a ride?
PM me if interested.

Last edited:
I just went to dinner at my hotel because I was super hungry haha you guys have fun!

@Felixor90 you may want to have people PM you for your phone number. This is the internet and you may get some less than savory phone calls
....I wish I could have prank called him before you said that

Members don't see this ad :)
Jmstroup and I are gonna be at O'neils in case any of you old farts decide to leave your hotel room and join us. :p

I forgot if someone mentioned it but is Illinois an open or closed file interview?

I forgot if someone mentioned it but is Illinois an open or closed file interview?
Closed file; they know nothing about you except the fact that you were qualified enough to get past the first round and get an interview!

I'm planning on being at the school around 8:30.. is anyone else in that timeframe? I can PM you to see if we're staying at the same place lol

Certainly questioning my choice of the Days Inn but see ya'll tomorrow and good luck! I journeyed around and couldn't really decide what was the main drag, but I have tomorrow night to figure that out.

Ill probably be there 8:30/9:00 depending on if I get breakfast.

Good Luck to everyone today!

Reactions: 2 users
maybe that's the main drag then? I'm on Neil Street and thought this was haha
Green St. is definitely the main location to find people. It's where they hide all the alcohol. Good luck everyone! I might stop by and say hello. We have midterms this week so we'll see.

That was an amazing interview! They're super friendly so don't worry too much. Good luck everyone. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Haha it's the shortness that worries me. Mine is at 10:30 =)

I'm not too worried though

You guys got this! :heckyeah:

All done I feel great about this school :)

I'm planning on being at the school around 8:30.. is anyone else in that timeframe? I can PM you to see if we're staying at the same place lol
Dr. Allender (the doctor in the orange jacket) was talking about you!

If anyone wants to hang before the 2pm info session, I'm in the library right now =)

Heading home and wishing everyone a safe return trip!

1. @Felixor90, I know I saw you!! I was creeping haha.
2. I actually wasn't that impressed with my interview. Mine was only 15 minutes and was surprised at how general the questions were. I'm not sure if this means I blew it or not....I know everyone got the same questions. I was just surprised, that's all. 11 days or so and we'll know!

Really mine went a little over 30...maybe I talked too much, but they talked alot too o_O

Oh and if people are still interested in dinner, meet at 4-ish by the fish tanks?

Heading home and wishing everyone a safe return trip!

1. @Felixor90, I know I saw you!! I was creeping haha.
2. I actually wasn't that impressed with my interview. Mine was only 15 minutes and was surprised at how general the questions were. I'm not sure if this means I blew it or not....I know everyone got the same questions. I was just surprised, that's all. 11 days or so and we'll know!
Mine was only 15 minutes, too! But I thought I did really well... who really knows at all though haha.

If anyone wants to hang before the 2pm info session, I'm in the library right now =)
I'm in the library right now, waiting for the 2pm info session haha

Mine was about 15. I'm second guessing myself, but trying to just get into a "what's done is done" mentality.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic. Even my boyfriend who came with me said I was much calmer than he anticipated. I'm hoping that carried through to a confidential, thoughtful demeanor. I definitely thought it was going to be worse than it actually was.

Good luck everyone. :)

Mine was short as well, maybe 10 minutes. :/ I think that was on me though, I tend to talk fast and I think my responses were a little vague. There was one question I wasn't prepared for that I absolutely couldn't think of an example for on the spot. :( Oh well, it's over now and no matter how horribly I did I'll at least be on the waitlist! :p I will say I was impressed with the school, and if I somehow get in here and not my IS I think I'd be happy here!

Mine was short as well, maybe 10 minutes. :/ I think that was on me though, I tend to talk fast and I think my responses were a little vague. There was one question I wasn't prepared for that I absolutely couldn't think of an example for on the spot. :( Oh well, it's over now and no matter how horribly I did I'll at least be on the waitlist! :p I will say I was impressed with the school, and if I somehow get in here and not my IS I think I'd be happy here!
Try not to take the 10 minute thing too hard. I actually started my interview early because the person before me also finished early. I don't think that every interview *should* last the full 30 minutes. Based on my observation, they leave a lot of "wiggle room" for extraneous factors that vary from applicant to applicant, as well as some time for the panel to gather their thoughts.

Okay, I feel a bit better now. I was very nervous and I think it showed to a point where my answers were a bit disorganized. I also talk very fast and succinctly. It's always a challenge for me to be descriptive in my answers lol.

Okay, I feel a bit better now. I was very nervous and I think it showed to a point where my answers were a bit disorganized. I also talk very fast and succinctly. It's always a challenge for me to be descriptive in my answers lol.
It sounds like we had a similar experience. Hopefully it works out well for both of us!

Does anyone remember (or wrote down) the admissions numbers in the PowerPoint slide? I think Dr. Foreman said they had almost 1,000 total applicants and interviewed more than 400, but I missed the numbers after that.

I had pretty much the exact same experience.

Does anyone remember (or wrote down) the admissions numbers in the PowerPoint slide? I think Dr. Foreman said they had almost 1,000 total applicants and interviewed more than 400, but I missed the numbers after that.
141 IS applicants were interviewed, 209 OOS. Something like that.

I think that I prefer open file interviews. I get the point of closed, but I feel like my personality/behavior is better represented in open file

I think that I prefer open file interviews. I get the point of closed, but I feel like my personality/behavior is better represented in open file
Plus you can talk about what you learned in your experiences that couldn't fit into the 300 (?) alotted characters..

All in all, not a bad day. Had to laugh at my dad when he didn't want to walk through the anatomy lab lol. He probably would have dropped at the sight of something, especially a cat or dog :p

I was going to ask the same thing! Those numbers definitely made me feel more honored to have gotten an interview. I think only 2 or 3 people posted on here that they were rejected, but I know the SDN population tends to be pretty skewed, and not everyone is going to come post that they got rejected.

Also I copied down from the info session that admissions offers are sent to around 85 IS and 120 OOS students. Do we know if that's the number of initial acceptance letters sent out, or the total number offered seats after everything's said and done? Either way it's better odds for OOS interviewees than I was expecting.

I was going to ask the same thing! Those numbers definitely made me feel more honored to have gotten an interview. I think only 2 or 3 people posted on here that they were rejected, but I know the SDN population tends to be pretty skewed, and not everyone is going to come post that they got rejected.

Also I copied down from the info session that admissions offers are sent to around 85 IS and 120 OOS students. Do we know if that's the number of initial acceptance letters sent out, or the total number offered seats after everything's said and done? Either way it's better odds for OOS interviewees than I was expecting.
Those are the initial offers. It looks like they over-accept by a fair margin, anticipating that many out of state students will decline should they be admitted to their in-state. Their final class size should end up around 130.

Those are the initial offers. It looks like they over-accept by a fair margin, anticipating that many out of state students will decline should they be admitted to their in-state. Their final class size should end up around 130.
I've always wondered what any school does if too many students accept...

Reactions: 1 users
I've always wondered what any school does if too many students accept...
That's definitely something I've wondered. I've heard vet schools respond saying that they have enough experience to make a safe estimate but the question "what happens if those 120 students you accepted all say yes this year, since all cycles are different?" keeps popping up at the back of my mind. It's not like you can just rescind an offer once it's made and the person pays their deposit, at least I'd hope not.

Is there a group gathering for dinner still? Idk where these fish tanks are.
I'm hoping people will gather, I want to hear everyone's experience! And the fish tanks are on the second floor

I'm hoping people will gather, I want to hear everyone's experience! And the fish tanks are on the second floor

I totally wish I could have met with you guys! Sadly I have a 9 hour drive ahead of me :confused:

Have fun! Hopeful we will all be classmates next year!

Safe travels everyone!!