University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS..mail just came...no letter! I do not agree with their method to the madness. They say they do it this way to avoid the whiney phone calls as Dr. Foreman stated in the informational session. What do you think is going to happen Monday? I'm going to call! I may be whiney at the time too lol. Is it lost? Did it get delivered to my neighbor by accident? How do I know? I just know I didn't receive it. Perhaps I have been waitlisted. Ok..just let me know! I've been waiting since June last year...isn't that long enough?The excuse for not updating the portal is lame at the very least AND as Felixor put it psychological torture! I'd be just as happy to get an acceptance online as I would opening a letter. Why put us all through this? What about everyone OOS? Don't we all deserve to know at the same time? It seems to me some OOS and maybe IS too, will learn their fate by the portal anyway by the way the mail system is going. So what's the point? I'm done ranting :confused: Good luck everyone. I hope the mail brings you all good news!!
Preach! I wish I could hit "like" more than once.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I understand that the process is frustrating and you just want to know. I get it. I have been there and went through it 3 times. But, this isn't psychological torture. You will find out, you aren't going to be left with no answer at all. I get that it is hard to be patient, but that is what you need to do. Stressing yourself out about it and believing you are being tortured isn't doing any favors for you. Go out and do something fun, forgot about the fact you are waiting for a letter. It will get there when it gets there or you will find out online, it isn't going to kill you to wait a little bit longer. Just breathe and have some fun while you are waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in Michigan and just got my acceptance letter today! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I understand that the process is frustrating and you just want to know. I get it. I have been there and went through it 3 times. But, this isn't psychological torture. You will find out, you aren't going to be left with no answer at all. I get that it is hard to be patient, but that is what you need to do. Stressing yourself out about it and believing you are being tortured isn't doing any favors for you. Go out and do something fun, forgot about the fact you are waiting for a letter. It will get there when it gets there or you will find out online, it isn't going to kill you to wait a little bit longer. Just breathe and have some fun while you are waiting.

You are right about it being frustrating. I don't "believe" I am being tortured lol, the process IS psychological torture. I have to disagree with your theory of not being left without any answers after being left on waitlists without receiving any updates because they don't want to let you know where you rank on the list. I'm not stressing myself out, the process of waiting for a letter when we could have just as easily found out by the portal is stressful. Yes, the letter will get here OR I will find out online...which is my point and my reason for the rant. I'm ok lol and still breathing. Thanks :)

You are right about it being frustrating. I don't "believe" I am being tortured lol, the process IS psychological torture. I have to disagree with your theory of not being left without any answers after being left on waitlists without receiving any updates because they don't want to let you know where you rank on the list. I'm not stressing myself out, the process of waiting for a letter when we could have just as easily found out by the portal is stressful. Yes, the letter will get here OR I will find out online...which is my point and my reason for the rant. I'm ok lol and still breathing. Thanks :)

Yeah, sorry, I have been on many waitlists. Was on at least one all 3 years that I applied. I get it, it sucks. But you have to just assume at that point you are not getting in and move on. Make improvements in your application if you are going to apply again and if you happen to get off the waitlist you can deal with everything then. But there is no point in stressing out to where you label it psychological torture. It isn't "torture" it is frustrating, there is a difference. Torture is being incredibly melodramatic. Stating this process if frustrating and exhausting is a normal response. Stating it is psychological torture makes me think you are stressing about it too much. Trust me, I get how much it sucks to have to wait for the mail when they could have given an answer faster online, but that is 100% out of your control, don't stress about things out of your control, it just makes it worse.

I think it's okay to exaggerate sometimes

Hey I have serious concerns about the stomach ulcers some people here are causing themselves! :p

In all seriousness though, increase stress leads to all sorts of medical and emotional well-being problems... including reduced immune function, ulcers, poor sleep, etc. I don't think it is at all inappropriate to tell people to just take a step back for a day or two and relax. The mail has come for people today (so it seems), there is none tomorrow, instead of getting worked up... go do something, release some of that frustration in a positive way. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone accepted so far!!! Hold onto that amazing feeling for dear life :p

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, sorry, I have been on many waitlists. Was on at least one all 3 years that I applied. I get it, it sucks. But you have to just assume at that point you are not getting in and move on. Make improvements in your application if you are going to apply again and if you happen to get off the waitlist you can deal with everything then. But there is no point in stressing out to where you label it psychological torture. It isn't "torture" it is frustrating, there is a difference. Torture is being incredibly melodramatic. Stating this process if frustrating and exhausting is a normal response. Stating it is psychological torture makes me think you are stressing about it too much. Trust me, I get how much it sucks to have to wait for the mail when they could have given an answer faster online, but that is 100% out of your control, don't stress about things out of your control, it just makes it worse.

"But you have to just assume at that point you are not getting in and move on."???? I thought you were trying to be my therapist or something before. Why would you assume I didn't get in anywhere else? I happen to be accepted at other schools. AGAIN, my rant was about the process. It's MY rant and MY feelings. Not open to debate by you. If I feel like it's torture than guess what? I FEEL IT'S TORTURE. I don't know, maybe I am "melodramatic" and abnormal. I get that you were trying to help, but it's time for you to "move on and quit stressing" about my feelings.

"But you have to just assume at that point you are not getting in and move on."???? I thought you were trying to be my therapist or something before. Why would you assume I didn't get in anywhere else? I happen to be accepted at other schools. AGAIN, my rant was about the process. It's MY rant and MY feelings. Not open to debate by you. If I feel like it's torture than guess what? I FEEL IT'S TORTURE. I don't know, maybe I am "melodramatic" and abnormal. I get that you were trying to help, but it's time for you to "move on and quit stressing" about my feelings.

:rolleyes:

And this is why the veteran posters don't try to help anymore because the pre-vets around here are entitled asshats lately. I don't keep tabs on who has or has not been accepted so far, I don't have time for that. You mentioned the waitlist, I responded about waitlist. If waitlist is your only answer from a school, then yes, you are best to assume you aren't getting in and to move on.

I apologize for trying to be nice and say to you guys that it is all out of your hands now and to try to not stress so much about it. Maybe you should take into account that people on here aren't posting to be rude and are actually trying to help before you get all bent out of shape? Clearly you aren't too stressed out if a simple "hey take a breather" makes you begin screaming at someone...

Last edited:
In NY got my letter of acceptance today too!! Good luck everyone!

:rolleyes:

And this is why the veteran posters don't try to help anymore. I don't keep tabs on who has or has not been accepted so far, I don't have time for that. You mentioned the waitlist, I responded about waitlist. If waitlist is your only answer from a school, then yes, you are best to assume you aren't getting in and to move on.

I apologize for trying to be nice and say to you guys that it is all out of your hands now and to try to not stress so much about it. Maybe you should take into account that people on here aren't posting to be rude and are actually trying to help before you get all bent out of shape?

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or be rude. I simply responded the exact same way you did. I did say that " I get you are trying to help", so I did take that into account before responding. Don't get bet out of shape and take it out on everyone. No one else said anything. We know " there's nothing we can do, it's all out of our hands, fill the time with something else and it IS complete torture" lol. Again, just how I feel. Thanks for trying to help though

Hey I have serious concerns about the stomach ulcers some people here are causing themselves! :p

In all seriousness though, increase stress leads to all sorts of medical and emotional well-being problems... including reduced immune function, ulcers, poor sleep, etc. I don't think it is at all inappropriate to tell people to just take a step back for a day or two and relax. The mail has come for people today (so it seems), there is none tomorrow, instead of getting worked up... go do something, release some of that frustration in a positive way. :)

Those are fair points. My first assumption is not that students are vomiting hourly because they're so stressed out but I suppose some might be. I know I tend to exaggerate about stuff quite a bit. Like right now, I'm sick and I'm about 98% convinced I'm just going to die. It's definitely what I'm telling everyone at least lol.

Maybe with the stress of waiting for a letter + my illness I'll actually die o__o

Members don't see this ad :)
IS living in Kansas City, and my acceptance letter came today!!! So ecstatic! I don't know how I will choose between schools now... Good luck to everyone still waiting! Hopefully they will come for you all on Monday!

Those are fair points. My first assumption is not that students are vomiting hourly because they're so stressed out but I suppose some might be. I know I tend to exaggerate about stuff quite a bit. Like right now, I'm sick and I'm about 98% convinced I'm just going to die. It's definitely what I'm telling everyone at least lol.

Maybe with the stress of waiting for a letter + my illness I'll actually die o__o

:laugh:

Maybe, but probably not (though I don't know what you are ill with so this is not considered medical advice :p)

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or be rude. I simply responded the exact same way you did. I did say that " I get you are trying to help", so I did take that into account before responding. Don't get bet out of shape and take it out on everyone. No one else said anything. We know " there's nothing we can do, it's all out of our hands, fill the time with something else and it IS complete torture" lol. Again, just how I feel. Thanks for trying to help though

You got a little screamy with the all caps. ;)

I really am not trying to be mean, just trying to offer encouragement, which all I can do for now is say don't stress and I promise it isn't torture... even if if feels like it... ;)

And I am not taking it out on everyone, just the last couple of years we have had a large switch in pre-vet attitudes people have gone from being grateful about the advice to attacking and yelling at us. It is just a trend the other veteran posters and I have noticed and discuss frequently.

Oh noo, don't die! Just breathe lol.
I really need to stop haha. But hey, it passes the time!

It does feel better to take some time not worrying too hard about when the decision will come, at least. I felt pretty bad yesterday, but I got to do an ostrich dissection yesterday with some colleagues at the anatomy lab... That sort of thing is interesting and enjoyable and helped me take my mind off of it.

I had to head out of the state for an emergency, but I'm on my way back. Kinda hoping there's something in my mailbox, but I'm thinking Monday will be the day. Congrats to the OOS applicants that received decisions!

On a positive note I did say I was done with my rant. This forum is all about helping each other out and I AM grateful. Thanks for all the tips along the way. I definitely will call Monday and find out where my letter is at and ask about the portal. CONGRATS again to all who have been accepted so far. Peace:angelic:

I'm in Michigan and just got my acceptance letter today! Good luck everyone
Congrats/OH. GOD.

Maybe Monday will be the day for me? I'm trying to enjoy my weekend per DVMD but....this Stouffer's meal just isn't the way to go.

Congrats/OH. GOD.

Maybe Monday will be the day for me? I'm trying to enjoy my weekend per DVMD but....this Stouffer's meal just isn't the way to go.
A book or your favorite game might help, or perhaps if you can get some friends together you can do something fun with them. I'm going to a game night personally... good way to spend a Saturday night.

A book or your favorite game might help, or perhaps if you can get some friends together you can do something fun with them. I'm going to a game night personally... good way to spend a Saturday night.
I'm with my boyfriend and we're both suffering through our dinner, haha. Netflix!

Everybody go play some video games :D

Or watch Supernatural. So many feels you'll forget all about vet school...

..... I watched 3 episodes today..... I can never have enough Dean in my life......... (also, I got to meet Mischa Collins once, and he's like the coolest dude EVER)

..... I watched 3 episodes today..... I can never have enough Dean in my life......... (also, I got to meet Mischa Collins once, and he's like the coolest dude EVER)
1) Congrats!
2) Dean :love:
3) I am filled with jealous rage

My sister has some friends at the vet school, and per her, "they sent out acceptance letters yesterday". I was kinda thinking they sent out acceptances Wednesday and waitlists Friday. It seems at least like that's wrong. I'm not sure if it makes a difference for anyone, but it gave me hope so I thought I'd share with those who have yet to hear.

Personally I'm anxious for my letter, but I'm weirdly calm and able to forget about it for the most part because it's not nearly as bad as last year, when my letter from Mizzou got lost in the mail. And not as in "it took a couple days extra to show up", as in I never saw it. The admissions director re-sent it and I finally got that copy, but it took so long that she ended up emailing me a pdf. That decision may have been influenced by the fact that it was a rejection letter. At least Illinois has the portal system, so you'll find out soon enough that way rather than having to plead with the admissions office to give you an answer. I agree it would be nice if schools would move to notifying us by portal/email as soon as possible, but that might be a slow transition. Maybe I'm just calm about waiting for this letter because I still have my interview with Mizzou coming up, which is where I would prefer to go and have a better chance at. My app and my Illinois interview were both average to below average IMO, so I've kind of resigned myself to being on the waitlist here. Which is still something to be proud of, I'd say.

Also Illinois is getting back to us about 2 weeks after interviews (less for some people), which is great compared to some schools that take over a month to get decisions out. Mizzou doesn't send IS decision letters until late March/early April, when the majority have already heard back from all their schools. :barf: At least you know at Illinois you'll either be accepted or waitlisted, and if you are waitlisted and never get off of it, you have other options. When I was waiting for that letter last year, that was my last shot at vet school that fall. And although Illinois won't tell us our rank on the waitlist, Dr. Foreman did say in the morning info session that they'll send out some kind of email/portal notification when the class is filled, so we'll know when the odds of coming off the waitlist have gone way down. It is a long, frustrating process, and of course you're allowed to complain, but it's nice to keep some perspective in mind. No one is purposely trying to torture you, unless your mail carrier has something against you. ;)

ACCEPTED!! I'm OOS, going to school in Michigan. This was my first acceptance after SO many rejections and I truly thought I was not going to get in this year. I am SO grateful and can't believe I'm going to be a vet. Good luck to all who have yet to hear!! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats everyone who's been accepted! Welcome to the crazy life :)

I'm looking into places to rent already =)
Sucks that I have to get a two bedroom place to keep my ferrets away from my dog, definitely hikes up the living costs!

ACCEPTED! OOS - PA :) Got my letter in the mail yesterday :) :) :)

I'm looking into places to rent already =)
Sucks that I have to get a two bedroom place to keep my ferrets away from my dog, definitely hikes up the living costs!

What are you using to look up housing options? :)

Accepted OOS Cali!!! Freaked out all of friday and even emailed admissions haha. Congrats to everyone!

Accepted OOS Cali!!! Freaked out all of friday and even emailed admissions haha. Congrats to everyone!
Your letter made it all the way to California already?!? Can you tell us when it was postmarked? Congrats!!!

Your letter made it all the way to California already?!? Can you tell us when it was postmarked? Congrats!!!

It was postmarked on the 18th!! Took 3 days but I'm guessing it's because there's no crazy weather to deal with on the way here??

Seems like we were mailed out on the 20th....tomorrow should be our day!
I highly doubt it would make it down to south Florida by tomorrow if it was mailed on the 20th. And why would ours be mailed later? If that's the case I'm just gonna assume I'm wait listed. Sigh

Awe everyone just needs to take a breath. On a side note I know exactly when my mail comes is that creepy.

I highly doubt it would make it down to south Florida by tomorrow if it was mailed on the 20th. And why would ours be mailed later? If that's the case I'm just gonna assume I'm wait listed. Sigh
If a letter can make it from IL to CA in 3 days, you'd think you'd get yours in a similar time frame.

I hope that's not the case, but I guess we'll have to see.

They could have mailed them alphabetically or by something less meaningful, like interview times.

They could have mailed them alphabetically or by something less meaningful, like interview times.
My interview was at 8am so let's just go ahead and reject that interview time theory before I start panicking. :p