University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Though if you get a call after April 15th you think you'll switch?
Probably not LMU was very nice I just get antsy about the accreditation but that's minor. I went to a private college and LMU is a lot like my old school which I loved! Plus if I pay that 1250 deposit I don't want to lose it lol!

Well that's 3 waitlists so far. Two more schools to go. :C

Hey, I've been long time lurking the forums but I had to sign up to make sure I'm not crazy. No letter yet, but my portal says admission offered. Does that mean I was definitely offered a spot or could it mean I'm an alternate too?

Hey, I've been long time lurking the forums but I had to sign up to make sure I'm not crazy. No letter yet, but my portal says admission offered. Does that mean I was definitely offered a spot or could it mean I'm an alternate too?
Means you got a spot. Congrats!!

Admission offered means you're in, time to celebrate :D

Reactions: 1 user
Not if they offered 120 spots lol!
I am going to wait until March anyhow just because I need to get the money for the deposit!

If I throw in my spot too, that's 2 seats for one. Maybe they'll take that? ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few of my classmates were wait listed here at UIUC, but here they are! :)

Reactions: 1 users
had to catch up from this weekend, you know, instead of do the 250+ pages of reading for that one class. Priorities, as you reminded me of yesterday :p
I'm hanging out in all the school threads now. Pretty soon I'm gonna end up reading threads in allo or *gasp* pre-allo. Should probably write that paper at some point though...

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!

Says my letter was mailed 2/16/15, but I haven't received it yet (in Georgia). I'm excited, but not completely sure if I will attend yet. I'm heavily considering staying in Athens next year to gain residency for UGA (and saving $150k while attending a school I know I love). But who knows! Illinois has a great wildlife program, curriculum, and an MPH program. It'll be a tough decision...

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Literally in tears because this was my last hope. I'M GOING TO BE A VET!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 16 users
Portal update accepted.

Will probably turn down my seat though because I got in to my IS as well

I still haven't gotten my letter, but the portal says that I was offered admission!! So excited!! Now I've got some deciding to do... Congratulations to everyone that got in! :)

Portal updated, alternate status. Congrats to all those who got in!

OH MY GOD. I'M IN!!!!!!!!!

:biglove::banana::woot::clap::soexcited:
My portal also said 2/16/15. Thanks for the awesome support groul this cycle, you guys!
Yay I'm so happy for you too! When you and HowIMetYourPet come into town, we should meet up and celebrate.

Chin up, a waitlist isn't a death sentence, you're still in the running :) where else are you waiting on?
Michigan State and Wisconsin. UW is a longshot for me but I just might have a chance at MSU. I still have hope that I'll get in somewhere, but 3 waitlists in a row definitely hit my morale hard. Thanks for the positive thoughts. :)

ADMISSION OFFERED!
First in-country school acceptance I'm so happy!

Reactions: 5 users
Just checked the portal, I'm an alternate :( But I pretty much expected it, and I'm still proud of myself to have gotten this far! I have an interview at Mizzou, my IS, coming up, so there's still hope for me this cycle!

Just checked the portal, I'm an alternate :( But I pretty much expected it, and I'm still proud of myself to have gotten this far! I have an interview at Mizzou, my IS, coming up, so there's still hope for me this cycle!
Best of luck with Mizzou! I applied there too and was unfortunately rejected, but I was impressed with the program and the friendliness of the admission staff.

Michigan State and Wisconsin. UW is a longshot for me but I just might have a chance at MSU. I still have hope that I'll get in somewhere, but 3 waitlists in a row definitely hit my morale hard. Thanks for the positive thoughts. :)
Well let me tell you my story because maybe it'll make you feel better. The cycle I got in was my 3rd attempt. I applied to 4 schools first year, all rejections. I applied to 6 my second year and was rejected from 2 and waitlisted at 4 of them. I worked on my application and expanded my experiences. I applied for a 3rd time to 6 schools again. Again, I was rejected from 2 schools and waitlisted at 4. I'm actually still a little peeved at KSU, but that's a different topic. I was pretty down trodden by it happening again, but early May I was called off U of I's waitlist and here I am! It does happen so don't give up hope.

What is the earliest someone has been called off the waitlist?

The Dean also said the wait list was ranked, is there anyway of us knowing what number we are? I tried giving them a call, but no one picked up. :(

I imagine it can be as soon as someone declines. We have a few on here that have said that they are declining, so maybe soon!
Except for they overaccept by a fair margin (~120 initial OOS acceptances for ~60 spots). Like @haley120892, I'm having a tough time imagining over half of those accepted declining the offer, but @cloverbug is proof it happens. I am curious about how many people tend to get called off the OOS waitlist. Someone in last year's thread said people have been called as early as mid-March, but generally waitlists don't move a whole lot until around April 15th.

The Dean also said the wait list was ranked, is there anyway of us knowing what number we are? I tried giving them a call, but no one picked up. :(
He said in the morning info session they will not tell us our ranking.

Except for they overaccept by a fair margin (~120 initial OOS acceptances for ~60 spots). Like @haley120892, I'm having a tough time imagining over half of those accepted declining the offer, but @cloverbug is proof it happens. I am curious about how many people tend to get called off the OOS waitlist. Someone in last year's thread said people have been called as early as mid-March, but generally waitlists don't move a whole lot until around April 15th.
Some schools go through twice that many acceptances to fill out their OOS spots. Kansas State and Iowa State have done so in the past. I'm not saying I'm optimistic about it happening here, but it's not unheard of.

This is true. Keep in mind that lots and lots of people decline OOS acceptances. The IS students don't have this going as much, since they accepted about 15 more than they plan to take. But, that's expected. I'm betting both waitlists will see some movement. Not a lot (I'm already looking for jobs and planning for next year), but some.

Idk if any current students are lurking on this thread - and yes, I have used the search feature on SDN - but I would love to hear some pros and cons similar to that other thread about deciding between schools. I am strongly leaning towards Illinois but I would love to hear from some current students about the yay's and nay's of U of I.

Trying not to get too far ahead of myself, since I'm still waiting on two other schools...but has anyone found really good apartments yet (my decision will be based on the whole picture, right?)? I'm looking for pet friendly (cat/rabbit), my own room (willing to share a bathroom), and ideally, fully furnished.

i know that its relatively cheap to live there, but can anyone share a better idea of what we'd be looking at in terms of living costs?? i'd love to hear both sides (living more frugally vs more comfortably)

@pinkpuppy9 i'd love to know as well as dorming might be out for me if my fiancee comes along

Trying not to get too far ahead of myself, since I'm still waiting on two other schools...but has anyone found really good apartments yet (my decision will be based on the whole picture, right?)? I'm looking for pet friendly (cat/rabbit), my own room (willing to share a bathroom), and ideally, fully furnished.
I've already started looking into houses on craigslist with a few current students! It's very easy to find them (pet friendly and all!) as long as you're okay with it being slightly off campus (which shouldn't be a problem if you're bringing a car)

That sounds like the village (at Colbert park) in Savoy! Fully furnished, pet friendly. It's just south of CU.

Idk if any current students are lurking on this thread - and yes, I have used the search feature on SDN - but I would love to hear some pros and cons similar to that other thread about deciding between schools. I am strongly leaning towards Illinois but I would love to hear from some current students about the yay's and nay's of U of I.
I love it here. I am heavily involved in extra curriculars and I've made Illinois my new home. Being in the clinics first and second year was a big pro for me. --Getting my foot in the door with where I'll be spending some 4th year rotations. Con? I guess the drinking out of a fire hose level of things to know. However I think that's pretty normal for a professional school.

I love it here. I am heavily involved in extra curriculars and I've made Illinois my new home. Being in the clinics first and second year was a big pro for me. --Getting my foot in the door with where I'll be spending some 4th year rotations. Con? I guess the drinking out of a fire hose level of things to know. However I think that's pretty normal for a professional school.
Good to hear! :) I worked with a vet who did not like going to U of I but she went there before the new curriculum.

I see that some people are already looking in to housing situations for next year. How soon do leases get signed? I have lived in places where you have to look a year in advance for housing, but also in places where you can't sign until a month before the school year starts.

I see that some people are already looking in to housing situations for next year. How soon do leases get signed? I have lived in places where you have to look a year in advance for housing, but also in places where you can't sign until a month before the school year starts.
When I graduated undergrad in May 2013, I drove out here the next day to start house hunting. That's probably a little bit extreme, but I wanted to have a say in where I was living instead of just getting "sloppy seconds" in my brain. You can start looking for housing whenever! There are options.

We found an apartment complex and then let them know ASAP when we decided on them. They were good at keeping us up to date and we corresponded via email since we were 10 hours away. The office manager came in on a Saturday so we could move in and sign our lease then. We moved here with a lot of animals so that was very much appreciated!

One of my classmates actually has that exact combo of pets and she lives like 10 minutes away from campus. I pet sat for her during Thanksgiving break and the apartments looked nice. Stone Ridge Apartments I believe they're called, but I don't know how much they cost.

When do people usually move to Illinois after they graduate? Sometime in July, late July?

Has anyone not received their letter yet?

I'm in Indiana and haven't gotten it yet xD