University of Illinois c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So here is a question, I graduated early by taking my last class as a summer course. It was not a prereq for any vet schools, but it was my final class to complete my bachelor's. Think I should send this out?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they will be able to tell if you did or didn't, it's up to you.

Last edited:
LOL. I just realized that the "Twas" and "Tis" I keep seeing aren't typos I missed since they're on all the posts. It's for the holiday.

:joyful:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Confused the crap out of me, since I haven't been on SDN in a couple of days. Thought everyone was doing it for giggles :lol:

I tried to fix it like five times...I thought I was crazy lol.

Oh well Merry Christmas everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
"Be sure to reserve your hotel rooms by January 9 to lock-in the quoted rates above."

I think I might have already mentioned this, but we should be finding out within the next week then. This is found here: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/education/doctor-veterinary-medicine-degree/interview-day-schedule/

It would be nice to know so we can take advantage of that lol! Plus I got some planning to do if I get one...I have an interview in mississippi on the 4th and I live in pa...going to be a good week lol!

It would be nice to know so we can take advantage of that lol! Plus I got some planning to do if I get one...I have an interview in mississippi on the 4th and I live in pa...going to be a good week lol!

..tell me about it... I've got one in NY on the 2nd and one in San Fransico on the 4th...and I live in Ohio....

yay pre-vet school stress!!

Reactions: 2 users
When you go to the interview day website, does yours say
"We are so happy you will be participating in Interview Day at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine on Monday, February 9, 2015." ? Because my status still says in review.

When you go to the interview day website, does yours say
"We are so happy you will be participating in Interview Day at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine on Monday, February 9, 2015." ? Because my status still says in review.

I'm pretty sure that's the general link they send with the interview email/status change. It's not for you personally. :p

The hotels will probably still honor the deal even after. They at least did for me when I finally got around to scheduling a room a couple of years ago.

It's unfortunate only one day is being offered....I have an auburn interview the very next day and would be unable to attend if invited

I have also heard it's rather chaotic since there is only one day...any current students care to share their experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't interviewed there myself, but my friend did last year and had no complaints. Last year, she was told that after your interview, you are either accepted or waitlisted. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

It's unfortunate only one day is being offered....I have an auburn interview the very next day and would be unable to attend if invited

If that's the case, you should call first thing Monday and either try to have them give you an exception (Skype interview or maybe another day) or withdraw your application from consideration so that it can go to another applicant. The longer you wait to decline your interview, the longer someone else has to wait to receive theirs, which can lead to a much more expensive interview trip if they're out of state.

If that's the case, you should call first thing Monday and either try to have them give you an exception (Skype interview or maybe another day) or withdraw your application from consideration so that it can go to another applicant. The longer you wait to decline your interview, the longer someone else has to wait to receive theirs, which can lead to a much more expensive interview trip if they're out of state.
This. I hate seeing someone waste an interview spot or a waitlist spot. Either haul a** across the country to be able to both interviews, or choose. Tie up your loose ends and be courteous. (General statements, not directed at anyone specific!).

And if you were to turn down an interview after already receiving an invite, I'm not so sure the school would invite another applicant (especially if you wait). Probably depends on timing and the school.

Yea.... if I get an Illinois interview I have a Mississippi interview the same day.

Yea.... if I get an Illinois interview I have a Mississippi interview the same day.

That really sucks, but you're calling/emailing them to withdraw your application ASAP right? Maybe they'll give you guys an exception.

Haven't interviewed there myself, but my friend did last year and had no complaints. Last year, she was told that after your interview, you are either accepted or waitlisted. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

I know for sure this is the case for in state applicants, I am pretty sure for OOS as well.

As far as experiences go, mine was atypical since I went here for undergrad, I didn't do a tour, I just showed up for my interview. The dean also does a session with applicants where he talks about the school, the curriculum, when you'll hear, etc.
They do behavior based interviewing and you're also assigned a time for the interview. It can be chaotic since it's all in one day but just try and answer the questions the best of your ability and try to breathe before you start!

Yeah maybe if I call I can find out something. Wish they gave more notice :(

I'll figure it out if it happens I suppose haha

As mentioned above, if you get an interview invite to Illinois and decline it, a person that wants that spot might not get it because they might not refill your spot. Ask yourself now which of the two schools you would pick since you obviously can't be in two places at the same time. If you would like to go to Auburn, then you might as well withdraw your application now so that someone else can get that interview spot. Unless you want to pick Illinois, waiting any longer is just plain selfish.

I have also heard it's rather chaotic since there is only one day...any current students care to share their experiences?
It's not that chaotic, you will receive a scheduled time and interview room number and that will be where you need to report. There will be random tours going on during the day and also a financial aid information session at times, and sometimes peoples interview times conflict with these sessions. But really the process is not rocket science, and most of these sessions are there to calm down the parental units. Many people just come for their interview time and then leave as many have seen the campus prior to their interview.

There will be tons of current students around as well for you guys to ask questions from.

eta: It is true, once you make the interview you are either accepted or waitlisted. Once on the waitlist though they will not tell you where you are on that list.

It's not that chaotic, you will receive a scheduled time and interview room number and that will be where you need to report. There will be random tours going on during the day and also a financial aid information session at times, and sometimes peoples interview times conflict with these sessions. But really the process is not rocket science, and most of these sessions are there to calm down the parental units. Many people just come for their interview time and then leave as many have seen the campus prior to their interview.

There will be tons of current students around as well for you guys to ask questions from.

eta: It is true, once you make the interview you are either accepted or waitlisted. Once on the waitlist though they will not tell you where you are on that list.
so around how many total applicants get invited for an interview?

so around how many total applicants get invited for an interview?
On their website it says 130 IS residents and 200 OOS residents are invited to interview, though the number of people that actually interview would be lower if Illinois doesn't replace the spots of people who decline interview invitations.

I'll figure it out if it happens I suppose haha
If you already know you have a Mississippi interview on the same day, why are you waiting to find out about Illinois? You really should contact them ASAP and at least ask if they have alternate options for interviews, because if they don't there is no reason to keep waiting. Unless, of course, you would decline your Mississippi interview in favor of Illinois.

If you already know you have a Mississippi interview on the same day, why are you waiting to find out about Illinois? You really should contact them ASAP and at least ask if they have alternate options for interviews, because if they don't there is no reason to keep waiting. Unless, of course, you would decline your Mississippi interview in favor of Illinois.

If I don't get an Illinois interview then there's no need to try to change my other one. :) That's my rationale behind it.

If I don't get an Illinois interview then there's no need to try to change my other one. :) That's my rationale behind it.
I'd call still. I imagine they won't tell you anything but when the next round of notices are going out. In which case, beneficial for all haha

personally, i thought the interview was an absolute **** show, but i still picked illinois. they couldn't fit everyone into the room for the information sessions. it was absolutely packed with little to no standing room, making it very hard to even hear/see anything. crowds stress me out, so i opted out of the tours and all of that good stuff. it kinda unnerved me seeing 300 people who i was directly competing with so i just chose to sit and read to take my mind off of it. fortunately i had already been on a private tour on my own so I didn't miss out, but friends who took it told me that it was once again very hard to hear/see. however, the actual interview itself was very nice and low stress.

my advice is to do as much research about illinois on your own because you won't learn much on the interview day if its anything like it was last year. the interview was one of the only things that really turned me off of illinois. previous interviews had made me feel like THEY wanted ME, but having 300 people at once made it feel like you were just another person. my parents came with as well and had such a terrible experience that they were not exactly thrilled when i chose illinois. while you may have a completely different experience than me, don't let the interview deter you. illinois is a great program! like i said, i highly recommend doing your own research and talking to current students.

also, yes, if you are invited to interview, then you will either be wait listed or accepted.

Reactions: 4 users
They're killing me!!! I really thought we would hear about interviews early this week. Every email I get makes my heart skip a beat. >.<

They're killing me!!! I really thought we would hear about interviews early this week. Every email I get makes my heart skip a beat. >.<
They will send you a paper invite to interviews. The first time I applied to them, I didn't know what was going on with my application until the interview invite showed up in the mail. You should be getting it soon though.

They will send you a paper invite to interviews. The first time I applied to them, I didn't know what was going on with my application until the interview invite showed up in the mail. You should be getting it soon though.
So you mean it won't show up on the portal either? :(

Probably not until after you get your letter. They're a bit slow on the change.
Ahh I've been checking my mailbox expecting a rejection letter, but now I have to check more often :( Thanks!

No letter today, however I can't get my portal page to work....

Yep, portal is down for me as well. Looking through past interview invites though, looks like people found out on 1/10 and interviews were on 2/10 so by this logic we will find out on the 9th.

I just want to know NOW ;__;

Yep, portal is down for me as well. Looking through past interview invites though, looks like people found out on 1/10 and interviews were on 2/10 so by this logic we will find out on the 9th.

I just want to know NOW ;__;

Funny how they recommend we reserve our hotel rooms by the 9th though. I assumed that would mean they would send it out at least a few weeks before that. :/

Someone mentioned before getting an email about fall transcripts? I never got this...but i graduated early and th ere fore don't have them. Should I have still go that email?

Someone mentioned before getting an email about fall transcripts? I never got this...but i graduated early and th ere fore don't have them. Should I have still go that email?
I graduated this last fall and didn't get any email about sending mine in. I'm still waiting for my school to put the fall grades in the transcripts.

I graduated this last fall and didn't get any email about sending mine in. I'm still waiting for my school to put the fall grades in the transcripts.

Good now I feel a little better! I was worried I missed something lol

My portal is down too. They'll probably send out invites early next week. Really, a few days is enough notice for us to book a hotel room. And there's always Hotwire, which is cheaper than vet school discounted rates anyway!

I saw the portal status change before I got the interview letter, which came a few days later

Hmmm maybe this means they are updating our portals this weekend :rolleyes:

Portal's still down. This wait is getting intense for me xD