University of Kansas c/o 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure this last page proves that no one really knows anything and it's best to just wait for the letters without speculating when they may arrive.

I agree as well

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All! I applied to KU School of Pharmacy last year and, unfortunately, was not accepted. I am reapplying again this year though and have become close with the Associate Dean, Gene Hotchkiss. After speaking with him and reading through this thread, I hope I can help you out with some answers.

I did call this morning and I can tell you interviews are NOT over. They will be going on until the very end of March and they said the Selection Committee will be meeting this week to discuss if they want to do more interviews in April. This was when I interviewed last year and I can tell you it is definitely not based on rank. One of the girls I knew, who is probably one of the smartest people I know, had a very late interview. I also know someone who interviewed early and was rejected.

Based on last year, the acceptance and rejection letters all go out at the same time. I got my rejection letter on the same day people I knew got accepted. I wouldn't recommend calling when they start going out either because they aren't going to give you any answers. You will get them by the time any other school has their deadlines for your decision.

I'm also an out-of-state student, and yes, if you aren't from Kansas it is definitely harder to get in. However if you attended KU for undergrad, they have told me they overlook the fact that you are from out-of-state as opposed to if you have no ties at all to KU. If you ask, they will tell you their application number increases with how well the basketball team is doing...

I hope this helped out a little bit and good luck to everyone. This is a very hard program to get into. Try not to be too hard on yourself whatever the result may be.

Last edited:
"However if you attended KU for undergrad, they have told me they overlook the fact that you are from out-of-state as opposed to if you have no ties at all to KU"

Thank you so much for the information. This part of what you said confused me. They look favorably on people who have attended KU, then people who have ties to Kansas, then people who are out of state? I guess I am trying to understand your statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry...

If you are from Kansas, I believe that is what they favor the most out of anything. However if you are an out-of-state student who attended your undergrad years at KU, they will look at you more as they would a Kansas resident rather than just an out-of-state applicant.

Essentially:

Kansas Resident > Out-of-State KU Undergrad Student > Out-of-State Applicant

Hope this clarified that a little bit

Sorry...

If you are from Kansas, I believe that is what they favor the most out of anything. However if you are an out-of-state student who attended your undergrad years at KU, they will look at you more as they would a Kansas resident rather than just an out-of-state applicant.

Essentially:

Kansas Resident > Out-of-State KU Undergrad Student > Out-of-State Applicant

Hope this clarified that a little bit

Summed up perfectly.

Thanks!! :)

Has anyone heard anything??

Dude I'm sure as soon as someone hears something or gets a letter they will let us know. Until then it's best to just not worry about it.

Dude I'm sure as soon as someone hears something or gets a letter they will let us know. Until then it's best to just not worry about it.

Trying to keep the thread alive, so please calm down.

Did anyone see the game last night??? So sad that KU was that close!!!

Trying to keep the thread alive, so please calm down.

Did anyone see the game last night??? So sad that KU was that close!!!

Hopefully this is the week that we have been waiting for so long. Good luck to everyone.

I am so nerveous. Just talked with Gina. She said the acceptance letters are going to be sent out tomorrow, and it will take couple of weeks for all letters to be out! Thumbs up everyone! :scared: :thumbup:

I am so nerveous. Just talked with Gina. She said the acceptance letters are going to be sent out tomorrow, and it will take couple of weeks for all letters to be out! Thumbs up everyone! :scared: :thumbup:

Has anyone noticed their status change on that application check status website?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called Gina King and she told me letters were going out throughout the next couple weeks and that I was accepted!

I just called Gina King and she told me letters were going out throughout the next couple weeks and that I was accepted!

Can she give that information over the phone?

Congratulations!

Definitely good news. Congrats!!!

congratulations. I called but they told me that I have to wait for the letters to be sent and find out! does it mean I didn't get in?!!! :scared: Did they say when they are going to actually send your letter out?

congratulations. I called but they told me that I have to wait for the letters to be sent and find out! does it mean I didn't get in?!!! :scared: Did they say when they are going to actually send your letter out?

Yeah, they are not going to tell you over the phone that you were wait listed or denied. I am just too afraid to call right now.

Yeah, they are not going to tell you over the phone that you were wait listed or denied. I am just too afraid to call right now.

so you mean they just told me that I didn't get accepted?!!!

so you mean they just told me that I didn't get accepted?!!!

When I applied last year, they told me that "they had not made a decision on my application" while everyone else was told that they were accepted when KU was called. I was denied. I also saw another person who was told the same thing as me and they ended up being wait listed. If you are accepted, KU will tell you when you call.

When I applied last year, they told me that "they had not made a decision on my application" while everyone else was told that they were accepted when KU was called. I was denied. I also saw another person who was told the same thing as me and they ended up being wait listed. If you are accepted, KU will tell you when you call.

Assuming they interviewed 200+ applicants, it's very unlikely they will just sit there now and answer hundreds of phone calls about the status of the application. Just wait and icheck the status yourself online tonight at 1040pm. It s only a matter of hours for those accepted that live in KS (Lawrence) before they get their acceptance letter in the mail.

Assuming they interviewed 200+ applicants, it's very unlikely they will just sit there now and answer hundreds of phone calls about the status of the application. Just wait and icheck the status yourself online tonight at 1040pm. It s only a matter of hours for those accepted that live in KS (Lawrence) before they get their acceptance letter in the mail.

You are correct as far as the changing of the website. I can't look at that and I even tried to ask admissions office. Since I am a current student at KU, I will find out from the pharmacy school (through mail or phone call). You also could be correct with your first statement, but why did they tell Doompa his/her status and not tell Rainbow theirs???

You are correct as far as the changing of the website. I can't look at that and I even tried to ask admissions office. Since I am a current student at KU, I will find out from the pharmacy school (through mail or phone call). You also could be correct with your first statement, but why did they tell Doompa his/her status and not tell Rainbow theirs???

They told him/her but the also know that it shouldn't become the rule because it's simply unsustainable.

That's because my letter must have been one of the first to go out. It's pretty much a rolling admissions process now and she said she gets new letters everyday to send out. It's highly possible she just didn't have the decision on that certain candidate yet.

Also, I didn't even ask for her to tell me my status, I simply called to ask when the letters were being sent. She checked my status on her own.

My status was just changed to "admit". I guess the computer statuses will be updated as well around this time so everyone should feel free to check every night.

just got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I couldn't be more excited! Best of luck to all, hope to see some of you in the fall

Congrats guys!!! I heard the first letters sent out are usually to the top candidates. If you guys don't mind, may I ask what your stats are and the date of your interview so I can have a rough estimate what my rank is? My status still shows "defer decesion" and I'm kind of getting worried. Also, has anyone got denied or wait list letter yet?

Last edited:
Congrats guys!!! I heard the first letters sent out are usually to the top candidates. If you guys don't mind, may I ask what your stats are and the date of your interview so I can have a rough estimate what my rank is? My status still shows "defer decesion" and I'm kind of getting worried. Also, has anyone got denied or wait list letter yet?

Here are my Stats if that can help:

- Overall GPA: 3.72
- Math/Science GPA: 3.8
- PCAT Score: 35th percentile in sept 12 and 69th percentile in jan 13.
- GPA in last 12 months of school: 3.95
- Pharmacy experience obtained: 15 months as a pharmacy tech.
- Number of LORs and source of LORs: One from an instructor and two from pharmacists.
- Previous degree: Yes graduate degree.
- Kansas Resident: Yes.

- Overall GPA: 2.9 (I was an undergrad 10 years ago and tried computer engineering. Did horrible and brought my overall GPA down)
- Math/Science GPA: over 3.0
- PCAT Score: 74th percentile taken in Sept
- GPA in last 12 months of school: 4.0
- Pharmacy experience obtained: 12 years as a nuclear pharmacy tech
- Number of LORs and source of LORs: One from an instructor and two from pharmacists.
- Previous degree: Yes, BS in genetics (KU undergrad)
- Kansas Resident: Yes.
- Interview date: Feb 23

Last edited:

I got my letter on Thursday
Int. Date Feb 13. (They said they'd start letting people know in 3-4 weeks about acceptances)
CUM GPA- 3.8ish
Science GPA 3.8ish
PCAT CUM: 95th
Pharm experience: 1 summer
Research Experience: 2 semesters
LOR from pharmacist I worked with over the summer
LORs from Two professors. One who I've taken half of my chemistry classes, the other who I've been doing the biochem research with.
Kansas Resident
No previous degree.
Attending Pittsburg State

I got my letter on Thursday
Int. Date Feb 13. (They said they'd start letting people know in 3-4 weeks about acceptances)
CUM GPA- 3.8ish
Science GPA 3.8ish
PCAT CUM: 95th
Pharm experience: 1 summer
Research Experience: 2 semesters
LOR from pharmacist I worked with over the summer
LORs from Two professors. One who I've taken half of my chemistry classes, the other who I've been doing the biochem research with.
Kansas Resident
No previous degree.
Attending Pittsburg State

Great stats. Congrats!! :)

I have not received anything yet, but the rest of us did have later interviews than the people who have already heard back from the school. Hopefully, we will find out next week.

Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.82
PCAT: 92nd percentile (4/6 writing)
Pharmacy experience: not much, several times shadowing hospital pharmacists, plus volunteering in a pharmacy
LORs: one from a pharmacist i shadowed, one from a former manager at a previous (non pharmacy) job, one from an anesthesiologist working at Olathe med
Interview: Feb 13 (first day i think)
Degree: none, undergrad at KU, and i have a business minor, which i think helped.
I got my letter on thursday. Hope this helps

Stats:
Pharmacy experience: not much, several times shadowing hospital pharmacists, plus volunteering in a pharmacy
LORs: one from a pharmacist i shadowed, one from a former manager at a previous (non pharmacy) job, one from an anesthesiologist working at Olathe med
Degree: none, undergrad at KU, and i have a business minor, which i think helped.

Great stats. Congrats again!! :)

Congrats fellow class of 2017 acceptees! Good luck to all those still waiting.
Acceptance stats:
Cum. GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 3.90
PCAT: 91 percentile (3.5/6 writing)
Experience: 1 1/2 years as counter clerk at an independent in high school, 1 year as a pharmacy tech in college.
LOR: 2 pharmacy owners/PIC's (former employers), KU honors advisor
Interview: February 13th
Undergrad: Pre-pharmacy at KU

Hope this helps those waiting, and again, good luck! See you in the fall :)

Thanks for all the stats! And congrats to all of you. So I guess its accurate to assume that the candidates that were interviewed early got their acceptance letters first. My interview was March 9th so I'm hoping I get mine this week. Does anyone know the date of the last interview?

Thanks for all the stats! And congrats to all of you. So I guess its accurate to assume that the candidates that were interviewed early got their acceptance letters first. My interview was March 9th so I'm hoping I get mine this week. Does anyone know the date of the last interview?

I think it was the last week of March, but not sure.

I think it was the last week of March, but not sure.

I checked the calendar and it shows March 12th as the last one. But I think they interviewed more applicants after that date. I'm not really sure though. Sigh.... This is going to be the longest week ever. This waiting game is really stressful

I've heard that it's not by rank. Who knows? I got interviewed on Feb. 13 and I still have not heard anything. And my status still says "Defer Decision." Do not worry. Also, I was told that they've only sent out 20 letters so far.

Here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 4.0
PCAT: 85 percentile (98 percentile Chemistry)
Experience: shadowed at a hospital pharmacy and a mail-order pharmacy.
LOR: 2 from chemistry teachers, 1 from counselor, 1 from pharmacist
Interview: February 13th
Undergrad: Pre-pharmacy at JCCC
Lifelong KS resident

Last edited:
I also interviewed Feb 13 and haven't heard anything.

Science GPA: 3.6+
PCAT Composite: 97
Volunteering and then working as employee at in-patient pharmacy since July 2012
1 LOR from Director of Pharmacy for hospital, 1 LOR from staff pharmacist, 1 from professor.
KS resident for 14 years.
Pre-pharmacy at JCCC.

Congratulations to everybody who has already received letters and good luck to the rest of us poor schlubs!

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten accepted !

I interviewed on Feb. 13
gpa: 3.9
science: 4.0
PCAT: 72 percentile (93 chem)
LOR: neighbor pharmacist, counselor, and professor
experience: shadowing

My status says "defer decision," and I haven't recieved a letter yet.
I called the office today and they said letters are still being sent out in parts, and my status will stay "defer decision" until admissions and scholarships recieves a decision from them.

To everyone still patiently :) waiting, I would love an update when you get your acceptance letter.

:laugh:
Anyone here about when interviews are going to be complete? I'm have a hardcore mental breakdown cause I haven't heard a thing even though I turned my stuff in early.

Yep, no word from the school. I applied last year and got a late interview (like in April.) Hope diminishes everyday I don't here anything...any suggestions on what to do?

I did but If I don't get in here, I doubt I'll get in other places I applied. BUT, I just got word that they're doing like 20 more interviews after the 12th...which give me a little hope!

Welp, maybe I'll get in next year I guess :(:(:( ...but at the same time, I don't know if I want to go to KU anymore. It seems like no matter how hard I try they always find a reason not to accept me. People with similar stats (or worse) having gotten the school. I do what they tell me, I always try my best (even though it's not perfect, I always try my best.)...this process has caused more harm than good.

At KU, I have myself to blame...just not good enough on paper, I guess.

Stats:

:laugh: