University of Maryland: Baltimore Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo! Just received an interview invite. Can't wait to interview and see the campus!
what's your stat? if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad.

From Texas originally, but now I live in California :)

Oh awesome. I saw previously that you are waiting on Minnesota. Are you planning still planning to go to Baltimore? or going to weigh your options when that day comes?

Oh awesome. I saw previously that you are waiting on Minnesota. Are you planning still planning to go to Baltimore? or going to weigh your options when that day comes?

I've decided to not think about Minnesota until I find out whether I'm in or not. I don't want to fall in love with it and not get in. Haha. If I do get in, I'll consider it more :)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone out of state people planning to attend UMB?
I'm from california too but i'm currently doing my undergrad at penn state.
Sent in my deposit this week and choose baltimore! Soo excited :)

@88888888

"Why where are you going?"

I'm going to VCU instead. In-state tuition for me

Omg I got acceptance email!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Congratulations on your acceptance to UMD. I just got an interview invitation and i was wondering how u found the interview. I have a really low pcat, i didnt even expect invitation. I i have a 3.2 gpa, working at a retail pharmacy. I am from in state and attended open house twice, i know well about the school. I dont know how their interview like. Any tips?

Congratulations on your acceptance to UMD. I just got an interview invitation and i was wondering how u found the interview. I have a really low pcat, i didnt even expect invitation. I i have a 3.2 gpa, working at a retail pharmacy. I am from in state and attended open house twice, i know well about the school. I dont know how their interview like. Any tips?

Congrats on your interview! My UMD interview was one of my most relaxed pharmacy school interviews I had. The first half consists of 2 interviews, one with two students and then the other is a one on one with a faculty member. I would just recommend practicing interview questions and I think you will be fine. The second half of the interview is a group project and an essay. Just from reading your post I would recommend practicing your speech and grammar. Good luck!

I've decided to not think about Minnesota until I find out whether I'm in or not. I don't want to fall in love with it and not get in. Haha. If I do get in, I'll consider it more :)

Haha This is true. good luck!

Congrats on your interview! My UMD interview was one of my most relaxed pharmacy school interviews I had. The first half consists of 2 interviews, one with two students and then the other is a one on one with a faculty member. I would just recommend practicing interview questions and I think you will be fine. The second half of the interview is a group project and an essay. Just from reading your post I would recommend practicing your speech and grammar. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely practice but i don't think a two week practice makes any difference. I hope my two interviews before UMD will help me get used to an interview process. I will consider myself lucky if i manage to get into UMD.

Interviewed on Saturday and had an awesome experience! The faculty and current students were so warm and welcoming and even though I was extremely nervous going in I felt totally relaxed and at home by the end. The interview process makes for a kind of long day but it also gives you a really good feel for the school and I didn't feel like any of it was meant to trick me. It went by a lot faster than I expected and now Maryland is definitely my first choice!

My interview is scheduled for 3/11 and I'm really really nervous about the essay section :scared::scared::scared: How was it? What kinds of questions do they ask? I'm so nervous, and I've been driving myself crazy trying to read up on possible topics...PLEASE HELP :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is scheduled for 3/11 and I'm really really nervous about the essay section :scared::scared::scared: How was it? What kinds of questions do they ask? I'm so nervous, and I've been driving myself crazy trying to read up on possible topics...PLEASE HELP :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Nervousness is not going to help u even if you dont have anything to prepare for the esay part. I have one on 3/15, but i rather relax and think about possible questions they might ask. There are two interviews, one essay and a discussion. Its pretry easier if you dont stress a lot. I have heard good things about this school.

My interview is scheduled for 3/11 and I'm really really nervous about the essay section How was it? What kinds of questions do they ask? I'm so nervous, and I've been driving myself crazy trying to read up on possible topics...PLEASE HELP

Deep breaths. I've written 3 essays for pharmacy school interviews and they were all different. One presented an ethical issue. One presented a question about the importance of future aspects of the healthcare. One gave an article and asked you to form an opinion. In all of these situations I didn't need any outside information, though if you have some it certainly wouldn't hurt. Regardless, I found all of the essays to be one of the more relaxing portions of the interview process and I'm not a big fan of writing. Just relax, offer your opinion to the prompt and show your ability to write and communicate.

Honestly, researching current topics may help you, but I'd spend time practicing writing short essays based on random prompts. Maybe use prompts presented on sample PCAT tests. Practice reading a prompt, outlining your thoughts, writing for 20-25 minutes and leave yourself some time to proof read you work. I guarantee doing this even 2-3 times before the interview will leave you feeling better about writing.

But again, RELAX. All of my interviews have been extremely relaxed throughout the entire process. There's no reason to freak out. You'll just work yourself up for nothing and potentially hurt your performance during the process that you'll soon realize wasn't anywhere near as intimidating as you were expecting.

This has been mentioned many times before but I will reiterate it again: we do not concentrate on the content. You are not expected to be well versed on the pharmacy topic (that's why you are applying to pharmacy school!). Certainly, if you knew the subject it would help with the flow and organization but we won't (atleast I won't) penalize you if you did not have the right content. Just read the prompt and the accompanying excerpt and form your own opinions. I've graded essays for 3 years and I look more for the writing style. Relax and have fun! We want to get to know you!

Thank you both! That is much convincing and comforting!

Thank you both! That is much convincing and comforting!

I know right? I feel almost infinitely better about this interview. I'm still a wee bit concerned about the essay though. I've been handicapped by over a decade of automatic spell checking. WIthout a spell checker I'll start throwing like 4 c's into necessary and 3 m's into tomorrow, and of course, I'll throw that damn e onto the end of a singular potato...damn technology...damn brain.

I know right? I feel almost infinitely better about this interview. I'm still a wee bit concerned about the essay though. I've been handicapped by over a decade of automatic spell checking. WIthout a spell checker I'll start throwing like 4 c's into necessary and 3 m's into tomorrow, and of course, I'll throw that damn e onto the end of a singular potato...damn technology...damn brain.

Luckily I don't see you needing to use the word "potato" on the essay!

LoL, this class of 2017 is awesome! I feel motivated to join you all, at the same time i will feel bad if i dont get to UMDSOP!
As said, i put my hands together practicing wrtting essay, basically it like a journal just warm up my brain. But, are we writting on a paper or on a PC? I would prefer PC cos its been long time since i wrote on a paper.

LoL, this class of 2017 is awesome! I feel motivated to join you all, at the same time i will feel bad if i dont get to UMDSOP!
As said, i put my hands together practicing wrtting essay, basically it like a journal just warm up my brain. But, are we writting on a paper or on a PC? I would prefer PC cos its been long time since i wrote on a paper.

It's paper-based. Actually that's a good point, I hadn't written on paper for an essay in so long that my hand cramped after the first paragraph. I think the last time I had to do that was in a GE for undergrad back in 2007!

Hello everyone,

I just had my interview on 3/1 and I was wondering when UMB Admissions will start sending out the results to those interviewed this day? Like some of you, my friend who was interviewed on 2/18 got her acceptance email a week later. I'm just very anxious because if people are already getting accepted, there will be less and less spots available for those who interviewed later ><"

Does it depend how you are evaluated (like your GPA, PCAT scores and interviews)? So the stronger of a candidate you are, the faster you get your email? Any feedback would be appreciated...

I am not too sure, as I interviewed 1/26 and got my letter end of 2/20 so It took almost a month

Hello everyone,

I just had my interview on 3/1 and I was wondering when UMB Admissions will start sending out the results to those interviewed this day? Like some of you, my friend who was interviewed on 2/18 got her acceptance email a week later. I'm just very anxious because if people are already getting accepted, there will be less and less spots available for those who interviewed later ><"

Does it depend how you are evaluated (like your GPA, PCAT scores and interviews)? So the stronger of a candidate you are, the faster you get your email? Any feedback would be appreciated...

I doubt it. I was interviewed on 1/26 and got the email on 2/20 like some others have written. It seems like they have reviews once a month or so (just a guess). I'm assuming my interview on 1/26 and your friend's interview on 2/18 were likely judged on the same day or the results were at least sent out in the same round of emails. I haven't seen anyone say they got in earlier than 2/20 unless they were early decision.

Last edited:
Quick question about fafsa loans. I never took any loans in undergraduate so I'm not sure about some stuff.
There's only direct stafford unsubsidized loans for graduate students correct? It says the interest rate is at 6.8% and it accrues over the time youre at school, but you get 6 month grace period after graduation. Does that just mean like I don't have to start paying it until 6 months after? But it's more beneficial to try and start paying it sooner right? cause it keeps accruing.

Are there no more subsidized loans?

Quick question about fafsa loans. I never took any loans in undergraduate so I'm not sure about some stuff.
There's only direct stafford unsubsidized loans for graduate students correct? It says the interest rate is at 6.8% and it accrues over the time youre at school, but you get 6 month grace period after graduation. Does that just mean like I don't have to start paying it until 6 months after? But it's more beneficial to try and start paying it sooner right? cause it keeps accruing.

Are there no more subsidized loans?

You are correct. No more subsidized loans. And yes, it is beneficial to pay off as soon as you can, but you don't have to start paying during the time you are a full time student.

Hello everyone,

Just be patient :)

Maryland prides itself at looking at the whole applicant (GPA, PCATs, and interviews), so it takes longer to look through all the applicants than some other schools.

I personally did not receive my acceptance until at least a 2-3 weeks after my interview.

Hi everyone
First off congrats to those of you who have heard back and been accepted! I just received my interview invite a few days ago and I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has been interviewed recently post their interview feedback. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone
First off congrats to those of you who have heard back and been accepted! I just received my interview invite a few days ago and I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has been interviewed recently post their interview feedback. Thanks in advance!

There's lots of good feedback in interview section.

The interview was probably more stressful than most I had, but that might be because of the number of things they have you do.. There's a group presentation, essay, interview with faculty and interview with 2 students. It can seem overwhelming, but it went by pretty quick. Essay was about current issues, group presentation was about an ethical dilemma (simple) just brainstorm and present, faculty was a little intimidating, but nice and mine ended in like 20 mins. The student interview was meh, the students were a little emotionless, which was unwelcoming so I thought I didn't do well. But I interviewed back on 2/5, found out less than 2 weeks later.. :confused::scared::sleep::thumbup:

There's lots of good feedback in interview section.

The interview was probably more stressful than most I had, but that might be because of the number of things they have you do.. There's a group presentation, essay, interview with faculty and interview with 2 students. It can seem overwhelming, but it went by pretty quick. Essay was about current issues, group presentation was about an ethical dilemma (simple) just brainstorm and present, faculty was a little intimidating, but nice and mine ended in like 20 mins. The student interview was meh, the students were a little emotionless, which was unwelcoming so I thought I didn't do well. But I interviewed back on 2/5, found out less than 2 weeks later.. :confused::scared::sleep::thumbup:

Good feedback. I guess it just depends on luck of the draw. I had a great faculty interviewer and we talked the whole time, but we had similar interests in pharmacy. I got lucky with my student interview, as one of the students had to be somewhere before it began. The student interview never felt like an interview at all, just a conversation about student life and study habits.

Well that's interesting. No affliliation but if I do recall correctly, I think the dean mentioned thay she's close friends with the dean of UConn.

Hello everyone,

It was likely a coincidence. When I interview (which was 2/18 ), they mentioned that they were about to start sending out acceptances. So for those of us that interviewed on that week, it was I guess good timing?

Hi there! The school will set up an "official" facebook page. However, last year they set up a group on their own which seems to have been extremely beneficial. I was admitted last year, but for personal reasons I had to defer my admission. Anyhow, I will be apart of Class of 2017, so I decided to set up a closed facebook group for us. Please join us if you will be attending University of Maryland Fall of 2013 (Class of 2017)! I look forward to meeting all of my new classmates!! http://https://www.facebook.com/groups/umdsop2017/

Hi there! The school will set up an "official" facebook page. However, last year they set up a group on their own which seems to have been extremely beneficial. I was admitted last year, but for personal reasons I had to defer my admission. Anyhow, I will be apart of Class of 2017, so I decided to set up a closed facebook group for us. Please join us if you will be attending University of Maryland Fall of 2013 (Class of 2017)! I look forward to meeting all of my new classmates!! http://https://www.facebook.com/groups/umdsop2017/

Thanks for making the group! For some reason the link isn't working

Does anyone know when the next batch of acceptance letters will be sent out?

Not sure, but I was there for an interview yesterday and I heard that a majority of decisions will be made in April. But based on what I've read on this forum, it seems some will be made sooner.

Nervousness is not going to help u even if you dont have anything to prepare for the esay part. I have one on 3/15, but i rather relax and think about possible questions they might ask. There are two interviews, one essay and a discussion. Its pretry easier if you dont stress a lot. I have heard good things about this school.

Thanks for the encouragement; I'll try and relax. (Interview is 3/15, not 3/11 as originally posted; that was a typo, sorry guys.)

Deep breaths. I've written 3 essays for pharmacy school interviews and they were all different. One presented an ethical issue. One presented a question about the importance of future aspects of the healthcare. One gave an article and asked you to form an opinion. In all of these situations I didn't need any outside information, though if you have some it certainly wouldn't hurt. Regardless, I found all of the essays to be one of the more relaxing portions of the interview process and I'm not a big fan of writing. Just relax, offer your opinion to the prompt and show your ability to write and communicate.

Honestly, researching current topics may help you, but I'd spend time practicing writing short essays based on random prompts. Maybe use prompts presented on sample PCAT tests. Practice reading a prompt, outlining your thoughts, writing for 20-25 minutes and leave yourself some time to proof read you work. I guarantee doing this even 2-3 times before the interview will leave you feeling better about writing.

But again, RELAX. All of my interviews have been extremely relaxed throughout the entire process. There's no reason to freak out. You'll just work yourself up for nothing and potentially hurt your performance during the process that you'll soon realize wasn't anywhere near as intimidating as you were expecting.

Very good advice. Thanks! And it sounds like you've had some great interviews. Are you planning to attend UMD?

mine is tomorrow. I am worried about the essay part. I will see what i can do. I wish everyone interviewing tomorrow all the good things.

I had an interview at UMD on 3/16/13.

I have not recieved anything yet. The interview went well and it was very relaxing! The area is also very nice if you like to live in the city

Very good advice. Thanks! And it sounds like you've had some great interviews. Are you planning to attend UMD?

I am! It was the most impressive school I interviewed at. Very excited. Good luck to you!

Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate it :)

Update: I just got my acceptance email today!!! So excited to attend this fall!!!!! :):):):)