University of Maryland School of Pharmacy 2011 Regular Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got good news too. I got in too. I had to choose baltimore...am hoping I can commute from silverspring area! any one think its a bad idea?.....twill have been the same distance, had
i taken shady groove....( Am still torn between university of maryand ES, where I also got in and paid a 750 deposit already!)

Please remember, that 750 you paid is a sunk cost. Its not recoverable. Also, what is 750 when you think about things in the grand scheme? If you're instate, thats $100000+ in tuition and living. If you're out of state, thats $200000+.

Members don't see this ad.

got my email today.. I think I am gonna decline the acceptance

Accepted to Shady Grove! so excited for the fall!

University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
:)Class of 2015

Members don't see this ad :)
To those Out of State students:

How easy is it to apply for and be accepted as a Maryland state resident for tuition purposes? Do people usually get accepted starting their 2nd years or later?

I didn't get an email yesterday. and yesterday was mid march. For now, I will take that as I am rejected...

I truly want to study at UMB. I strongly believe that I WILL make a difference there. My goal is not to just get a pharmD but excel in my studies, make an excellent example and bring reputation to UMB once I graduate.

With my work experience, maturity and determination, I truly feel that I deserve a chance to do just that.

I have been accepted to 3 different pharmacy schools, notre dame, umes, and shenandoah.

and I will be attending one of those schools and will be pursuing my goals, making my dream a reality.

No matter where I go, I will still be a great pharmacist :D

Congrats everyone!

I called Patrice today. They rejected me, saying that my interview was not strong enough.

I prepared really well for it. I really cannot think of anything that they would have objection with. Needless to say very disappointed.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. Good luck.

Hi,

I also called Patrice. I was informed that I am wait listed #88.

#88!!! :eek::eek::eek: oh my lord! have mercy..

I do not think 88 people will turn down UMB.

What is my chance?

emailed Patrice today. She said I am #7 on the Waitlist. Does that mean for the Baltimore campus or both? Do I need to do anything as far as deposits or confirming my status or do I just wait and see if 7 people defer?

wow #7 is great. I think you will just need to wait till 7 people defer. From this thread, i see about 4 people saying they will decline their acceptance already. your chance is quite good.

Hi,

What is my chance?

I think that you have a shot, but its not a good one...The odds of 88 people declining are very low, but the possibility does exist. If you really want to go to UMD, why not take a year to strengthen your app and reapply in the fall?

I didn't get an email yesterday. and yesterday was mid march. For now, I will take that as I am rejected...

I truly want to study at UMB. I strongly believe that I WILL make a difference there. My goal is not to just get a pharmD but excel in my studies, make an excellent example and bring reputation to UMB once I graduate.

With my work experience, maturity and determination, I truly feel that I deserve a chance to do just that.

I have been accepted to 3 different pharmacy schools, notre dame, umes, and shenandoah.

and I will be attending one of those schools and will be pursuing my goals, making my dream a reality.

No matter where I go, I will still be a great pharmacist :D

Congrats everyone!

I love your attitude :D I wish you all the very best. And yes, congratulations!

Hi,

What is my chance?

Hi
after reading your post I also called Patrice
and she said I am also #88!! that's strange. I guess I was 89 or 90 and someone just gave up their spot today.
but I feel relieved after knowing that...
UMB is such a good school so I don't think 88 people will give up their spot..

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Patrice today. They rejected me, saying that my interview was not strong enough.

I prepared really well for it. I really cannot think of anything that they would have objection with. Needless to say very disappointed.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted. Good luck.

So they tell you the reason why they rejected you if you ask?
It's good to know that since we can be more prepared for the next cycle.
let's try hard for the next cycle!

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten in and good luck to the people on the wait list :)
I am also on the wait list in the 90s :(...
But I am surprised that the wait list is over 100 :eek:

Hi
after reading your post I also called Patrice
and she said I am also #88!! that's strange. I guess I was 89 or 90 and someone just gave up their spot today.
but I feel relieved after knowing that...
UMB is such a good school so I don't think 88 people will give up their spot..

Hi Yori,

That's so strange!

Maybe I m now #87 :D (i dont know if that makes a difference!)

Either way, I told my parents of my #88 status and they said that I should now focus on the school i am going to next fall. My dad said my chance is as slim as winning a lottery jackpot lol. (I like how he said it).

The wait for me is practically over.

If I won the lottery, I will definitely take the money though!:D

Hi Yori,

That's so strange!

Either way, I told my parents of my #88 status and they said that I should now focus on the school i am going to next fall. My dad said my chance is as slim as winning a lottery jackpot lol. (I like how he said it).

winning a lottery jackpot...lol..your dad is funny :)
last year there are 230 ppl accepted and 162 attending. 230-162=68 >o<
For 2008 it's 225-162=63
Our chances are really low if we are beyond the 80s..
I saw your post and I also interview on 2/18 maybe that 's why our status is close?? lol Anyway,
congrats!! which school are u attending in the fall?

winning a lottery jackpot...lol..your dad is funny :)
last year there are 230 ppl accepted and 162 attending. 230-162=68 >o<
For 2008 it's 225-162=63
Our chances are really low if we are beyond the 80s..
I saw your post and I also interview on 2/18 maybe that 's why our status is close?? lol Anyway,
congrats!! which school are u attending in the fall?

Hi

I am attending Notre Dame. I went to the open house twice. I like it there a lot too. I saw a post above that someone just gave up a spot (WOOT!).

Yes I interviewed on 2/18 at 8:00am.

Where are you going next Fall?

I think the signature said she's going to UNC :)
That's where my sister went for Med school. It's a great school.

Congrats to all ho jst got in......and on those the waitlist, if u r on the wait of MD, I guess u must have admission elsewhere! so my thing is jst remember how hard u thought getting into pharm school was in the 1st place, then u'lll realise how lucky u r , or I shld say blessed, for even getting a spot somewhere. 80% of UMB candidates graduate and go directly into the field, ie community/hospital and otherwise, jst as a lot of the graduates from elsewhere do, so at the end of the day, the real loss mayb for some1 who would have gotten instate tuition or jst the fact dat u'll be missing out on a fantasy school (key word fantasy)
I gues its easier said if u got in already, for what its worth, I do feel like am also betraying my other choice, UMES who jst shot me 3 emails today :(
I wish I cld have best of both world:confused:
To the person who talked about repreparing for next cycle, I say make sure u really think over that, esp if u got in elsewhere. if your decision stands, I got some advice then for u.....its not abt how much u prepared but how genuine, determined, mature and convincing that u where
I dint do any drills myself, actually, I got of work the night before, slapped on a suit and drove to bmore against my better judgment(I say better coz i had a really low PCAt, and had already had admision in to a program I was passionate about) But in the end it all worked out well, because eventhough I dint drill myself, I was soo passionnate about the proffesion/school such that I had the interview planned out in my head already! jst had to be my self with an extra touch of maturity and genuineness.
Either way, any one from Md here think its crazy to commute to bmore from SilverSpring? ie 20miles and about 37mins?

Again, patrice wont tell me their side of the story. I genuinely wanted to go to UMB and even my faculty interviewer said my answers show maturity and motivation. And its not like i am a novice interviewee. I got into two other schools with what patrice called not strong interview.

If there was an appeal process I wouldve done that too. But I did get into my second choice and its cheaper so i am moving on. No more time will be spent lamenting and looking for an explanation.

To everyone who was regretfully denied admission to Maryland -

I do not believe in attending any school, at any level, for a reason other than the fact that you honestly believe that the school will provide you with an education destined to help you achieve your professional goals in life. If you believe that (insert school), Maryland or not, will provide you with the education commensurate with your chosen path in life, then by all means, go for it and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

If upon reflection you realize that perhaps that school to which you have been accepted may be unable to offer you the education and opportunities afforded at a different institution which denied you admission, Maryland or otherwise, you should strongly reconsider taking a year to improve your candidacy. If you ultimately choose the route of re-applying, please contact me privately to discuss the means by which you may be able to do this.

Can somebody please check out my resume on the "What are my chances?" thread and see if I have a chance to get into UM?

So when are rejection/waitlist emails supposed to go out? If we didnt get an email by now, does it mean we are waitlisted/rejected?

Hi Yori,

That's so strange!

Those who got their waitlist #, did you get an email from UMB first, asking you to call to get your spot on the waitlist?

Hello all! :) I've been lurking this forum for months now and I had some questions I'd like to ask. :oops:

I'm waitlisted at #23 as of this morning, and I was wondering how the waitlist process works. Say I get accepted into one campus, and would rather go to the other, does that mean I am put at the BOTTOM of the entire list? Or is there a separate list once you have been officially accepted to either campus?

Also, are people taken off the waitlist as people decline, or is there a mass email sent out at once a few weeks after people decline?

Sorry if it's confusing! :oops:

Those who got their waitlist #, did you get an email from UMB first, asking you to call to get your spot on the waitlist?

I just saw some posts on SDN, and decided to call Ms. Sharp.

Hi DrDrugs,

Do you know if all acceptances have sent out? So, if I don't receive an email, that means I am either rejected or waitlisted?

Hello all! :) I've been lurking this forum for months now and I had some questions I'd like to ask. :oops:

I'm waitlisted at #23 as of this morning, and I was wondering how the waitlist process works. Say I get accepted into one campus, and would rather go to the other, does that mean I am put at the BOTTOM of the entire list? Or is there a separate list once you have been officially accepted to either campus?

Also, are people taken off the waitlist as people decline, or is there a mass email sent out at once a few weeks after people decline?

To those Out of State students:

How easy is it to apply for and be accepted as a Maryland state resident for tuition purposes? Do people usually get accepted starting their 2nd years or later?
Hi, I actually asked that question at my interview. The students told me it's really hard to get in-state tuition at Maryland.

If you don't mind me asking, which school are you going to attend?

greenteacup I think the signature said she's going to UNC :)
That's where my sister went for Med school. It's a great school.

I am debating btw Jefferson and UNC... However I am a bit leaning toward Jefferson.... Not sure yet..

Hi, I actually asked that question at my interview. The students told me it's really hard to get in-state tuition at Maryland.

All of my out of state friends got in-state this year (2nd years)...it has gotten to the point where I feel like everyone who tries, gets in. The biggest thing is to change all your car registration/license/tag to MD as soon as you get her. Apparently the guy in charge of in-state is very nice.

All of my out of state friends got in-state this year (2nd years)...it has gotten to the point where I feel like everyone who tries, gets in. The biggest thing is to change all your car registration/license/tag to MD as soon as you get her. Apparently the guy in charge of in-state is very nice.

what if you don't have a car? i only have a license, and registration is under my parents. would this require that I unregister for in-state application?

also, @ hanhuang, what's making you consider jefferson over UNC? From what I've seen, UNC is a top 10 school, and the jefferson program is still only a few years past its inaugural class. I declined my interview there because of Maryland, so I never really got a chance to see the school or experience the program personally, but I'm interested in hearing what your experience was like.

I called Ms. Sharp and was told that I got rejected..didn't bother to ask the reason..I felt like the interview went pretty smooth..but anyways I'm very disappointed..good luck for those who are still waiting...

I called this morning. i am #30 on the waitlist. Seeing as the last two years went down to at least #60 I think I have a good chance at getting in. It is just a matter of how long I can wait........:(

from what I heard that if someone got an offer to one of the campus and rather to be on the waitlist for the another campus they will have first priority over people who never had an offer.

Hey all, I got into University of Maryland and the Baltimore campus. I'm declining the acceptance and going somewhere else, so I'm sure someone will move up the wait list. Good luck!

Hey all, I got into University of Maryland and the Baltimore campus. I'm declining the acceptance and going somewhere else, so I'm sure someone will move up the wait list. Good luck!

The waitlist thing is very tricky.... Last year Shady Grove campus filled up first. I know this because I am the 2nd year class president and I am in charge of matching bigs and littles. The list of Shady Grovers were done by May but Patrice couldn't give me the Baltimore campus list because they were still short of people...I didn't get the official list until like 1 week before school started...It was a nightmare for me. Shady Grove is an awesome campus; I am glad I chose SG, though I do enjoy going up to Baltimore [weekly].

The waitlist thing is very tricky.... Last year Shady Grove campus filled up first. I know this because I am the 2nd year class president and I am in charge of matching bigs and littles. The list of Shady Grovers were done by May but Patrice couldn't give me the Baltimore campus list because they were still short of people...I didn't get the official list until like 1 week before school started...It was a nightmare for me. Shady Grove is an awesome campus; I am glad I chose SG, though I do enjoy going up to Baltimore [weekly].

Hi Luckyphooey,

Thank you for your post.

Does this mean they continued accepting people from the wait list up until the first week before school started in order to fill the Baltimore campus?

at that point (1 week before school started), would most students on the waitlist possibly already started matriculation else where?

Thank you:)

Hi Caw920,

Thank you. thank you. thank you. even though, i am on wait list #88, i am still thankful i moved up 1 step :xf:

Hey luckyphooey!
I wish I had contacted u b4! SG was always my first choice, but then a buddy of mine overthere, 2nd year too, put it in my head that Bmore was the bomb, and somehw convinced me to chose it :(
Now, am no longer so sure. Either way, how far away 4rm there (SG) do u live? asking coz I am abt 30mins away in slverspring and thinking of commuting!... feasible right? or wat do u think 'Presi' ?

Last edited:

i am a little confused when the Shady Grove people need to go to the Shady Grove campus. is it unrealistic to think i can live in Baltimore?

For the waitlisters: Right now they are taking people off the acceptance list who did not send in their deposits. So maybe some more spots will be opening up in the near future.

That's good to hear. Do you have to give up your original state residency in that process? i.e. I'm from California, and have to give up CA residency in order to get Maryland residency

Yes sometimes they do accept people right up to the start of class, it has happened before but don't depend too much on that. What I think happened with Baltimore last year was that some people sent in their deposit and backed out when they got accepted to their 1st choice and didn't notify the school. It is truly unprofessional and it puts the adcom in a weird position of having to contact people on the waitlist who have committed themselves elsewhere. People who choose SG know they want to go there and so that's why the campus roster didn't fluctuate (I only know of one person who switched to the Baltimore campus before school started when the spot was open). I don't want to give anyone false hope since the circumstances each year are different, for example, for the current 3rd years...the waiting list moved like crazy because the pre-req BioChem was added and a lot of people were unable to fulfill it and so it were not eligible for matriculation.

I live in Silver Spring and I am very used to commuting to Baltimore to hang out with friends and other organizational events (it's 35 miles, ~35-40 minutes). SG is only 8 miles away for me. I know of a lot of people who live in the Rockville area but commute to Baltimore since that is their main campus. I also know several people who live in Baltimore and commute to SG area. I would recommend living close to your respective campus since exam schedule can get ugly during your 2nd semester 1st year and 2nd year (there is an exam every 10 days in Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, and Therapeutics [one class], there is 9 series of this class).

You have to be on campus for Lab, Exams, group activities/case discussions. Labs are once a week. All exams are at 8:30 am in the morning. There's a lot of group activities 1st year. There are 1 to 2 cases per PPT course (x 9). I know of 1st years who lived in Rockville but commute to Baltimore that get together and carpool for exams and labs...I don't know how much longer they will be able to put up with this.

To be a MD resident, you have to forfeit your Cali residency (since you have to show that you pay taxes in MD and change all your car registrations and such).

You will be fine if you go to either campus. Though, I find it easier to stand out at SG and much easier to get to know all your SG classmates. Well SG is going to be an amazing campus since they are planning on building another new building down here to add the Dental and Med program. If you guys don't know already, there are currently 9 universities at Shady Grove with over 30+ programs. There are 3 buildings down here, the newest one was built in 2007 and the garage (free!) was built in 2009.

Just took a look at UMB's website and realized that there is a welcome day in June! I didn't know they would hold welcome sessions that early. I will unfortunately be out of the country that day, and although it doesn't say that it's mandatory (unlike the orientation days), will I miss a lot of information that I can't find elsewhere?

On that note, does anyone know what UMB will go over on welcome day?

No Idea on what it shall constitute(the welcome day that is!). I was wondering if 1 could switch campuses, once accepted, as in I just chose my campus of choice but looks like I shld have chosen the other! yikes

I am now all Howard :laugh:

waitlisted at UMB and not planning to wait :thumbup:

Hi Luckyphooey,

Thank you for your post.

Does this mean they continued accepting people from the wait list up until the first week before school started in order to fill the Baltimore campus?

at that point (1 week before school started), would most students on the waitlist possibly already started matriculation else where?

Thank you:)

When I called Patrice and asked about how many people on the waitlist actually have gotten admitted in the past, and she said one year they went all the way through the waitlist (so everybody on the waitlist got admitted) and another year they never went through it (nobody got admitted). I also got the mail that said one time, someone on the waitlist got off the waitlist on the first day of school (yikes!). So, I guess all we can do is pray and hope for the best since the chances are so unpredictable.

When I called Patrice and asked about how many people on the waitlist actually have gotten admitted in the past, and she said one year they went all the way through the waitlist (so everybody on the waitlist got admitted) and another year they never went through it (nobody got admitted). I also got the mail that said one time, someone on the waitlist got off the waitlist on the first day of school (yikes!). So, I guess all we can do is pray and hope for the best since the chances are so unpredictable.
hey fluffy did u interview on the 25th? if so, was if the afternoon or morning slot