University of Maryland School of Pharmacy 2011 Regular Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in using forums. So, please bear with me if I do anything wrong and tell me the right thing to do. :)

I'm in a situation just as many of you are in right now. They offered me a spot on SG campus after being #2 in their wait list for two dann long weeks. Since my preferred campus is Baltimore, I'm facing a tough decision to make.

Here are my questions. It might have been answered before, but I'm just going to ask anyway.

1. If I get into Shady Grove (SG) and attended my first year, and if some spots in Baltimore (B) open up on second year, will I be able to transfer to Baltimore ?

2. Are the certificates offered to students who graduated from SG and B exactly the same? Since I understand SG is considered a distance learning, will there be any differences - in parentheses or in fine print - to indicate that this student is from SG while the other student is from B? Are both certificates issued by UMB or will it be a SG cert in conjunction with UMB?

3. How about School fees? Will there be any difference at all?

4. How about Financial Aid? Here, I'm not talking about loans. I'm talking about grants and scholarships. For the same reason state in #2, will my eligibility be different from a "Full time" student studying in B?

5. Finally, if i chose to join the wait list for B, will I get back the same rank as before?? Is it really true that they are just trying to fill up SG spots first while there are, and should be since the deadline for response has already been over, available spots in B?? And how long will I have to wait for the school's decision again?? I have Howard's offer that is expiring on April 14.

Please be frank and advise me what I should do. I will appreciate any info and advices.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... This poses a problem no? If UMB is already full and have a waitlist already, how can they offer acceptance for people who are interviewing late? I understand that those applicants need fair judgement, if it was PharmCas at fault for sending late information, but isn't it too much to give them acceptance when the waitlist is already filled past the 80s?

I'm not saying your wrong, nor do I expect a straight answer because this is obviously something only the adcom will know. But just wondering how you thought about that situation...

Well, you know that everyone who puts down a deposit will not attend UMD right? They might be putting the money down to save the spot until they hear from their school of choice (e.g. a school that in-state for them).

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in using forums. So, please bear with me if I do anything wrong and tell me the right thing to do. :)

I'm in a situation just as many of you are in right now. They offered me a spot on SG campus after being #2 in their wait list for two dann long weeks. Since my preferred campus is Baltimore, I'm facing a tough decision to make.

Here are my questions. It might have been answered before, but I'm just going to ask anyway.

1. If I get into Shady Grove (SG) and attended my first year, and if some spots in Baltimore (B) open up on second year, will I be able to transfer to Baltimore ?

2. Are the certificates offered to students who graduated from SG and B exactly the same? Since I understand SG is considered a distance learning, will there be any differences - in parentheses or in fine print - to indicate that this student is from SG while the other student is from B? Are both certificates issued by UMB or will it be a SG cert in conjunction with UMB?

4. How about Financial Aid? Here, I'm not talking about loans. I'm talking about grants and scholarships. For the same reason state in #2, will my eligibility be different from a "Full time" student studying in B?

5. Finally, if i chose to join the wait list for B, will I get back the same rank as before?? Is it really true that they are just trying to fill up SG spots first while there are, and should be since the deadline for response has already been over, available spots in B?? And how long will I have to wait for the school's decision again?? I have Howard's offer that is expiring on April 14.

Please be frank and advise me what I should do. I will appreciate any info and advices.

NOTE: I am not in pharmacy yet, BUT I was in the same shoe as you. I was top 5 on waiting list, they offered me SG, I declined and took a top spot on the waitlist for Balt campus.

1. If you read another topic forum about Maryland, this was asked...sorry i can't refer you, though u can search yourself. The students on that topic said No you cannot transfer.

2. THey are the same.

3. Sorry...I have no idea, but because they are linked schools i would assume they are the same.

4. you know graduate/professional programs are diff from undergrad. you wont get a lot of grants and scholarships. Most scholarships are from private places you apply separately...and grants... I know of two grants that the state of MD allows, which are VERY small. and btw...both are applied to separately. And actually one of them you need to get in contact with your state delegate and its just a process in itself

5. You won't get the same rank if you change over to B list. I actually talked to patrice about this because I was worried as well... they offered you and me the first spots that were open, and it just happened to be the SG campus. Now theres a separate waitlist going for Baltimore campus, and I know there are plently people in similar situations as u and me, if your going to switch, do it soon (know the risks...) and ask patrice what position you would get on the balt. list before you make decisions. Patrice told me she won't know when the next time the spots will open, obviously because some people drop right away and some people drop later even after their first deposits.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you know that everyone who puts down a deposit will not attend UMD right? They might be putting the money down to save the spot until they hear from their school of choice (e.g. a school that in-state for them).

Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that the school still has a full list of applicants and from what you said the upcoming interview is for actual acceptances, which they do not have currently.

Lets say in this imaginary world (I know its not true...but still...) nobody gives up their spot. all spots are filled and in this upcoming interview, UMB believes that 4 of the interviewees should get acceptances. what happens?

do you get what I'm trying to say? I'm sorry if I didn't explain clearly :confused:

What my thought is (well aware it doesn't matter what I think but still...) that the upcoming interview should be for top waitlist spots, not full out acceptances. Unless UMB purposefully save spots in each campus... then they would obviously fill those.

Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that the school still has a full list of applicants and from what you said the upcoming interview is for actual acceptances, which they do not have currently.

Lets say in this imaginary world (I know its not true...but still...) nobody gives up their spot. all spots are filled and in this upcoming interview, UMB believes that 4 of the interviewees should get acceptances. what happens?

do you get what I'm trying to say? I'm sorry if I didn't explain clearly :confused:

What my thought is (well aware it doesn't matter what I think but still...) that the upcoming interview should be for top waitlist spots, not full out acceptances. Unless UMB purposefully save spots in each campus... then they would obviously fill those.

I can tell you for sure that the upcoming interviews are for acceptance. Sorry I can't go into much more details.

First off, congrats on your acceptance!
No, unfortunately you won't have the option to switch once you have committed to your campus.

Understand that we are all part of the same class, just separated geographically. Baltimore students and Shady Grove students will stand side by side when they graduate. We literally watch the same lectures, do the same assignments, take the same exams, etc. If it wasn't exactly the same, then you would have to apply to the campus separately through PharmCAS like other schools with multiple campuses (LECOM, Midwestern, etc). You are a student of UMB. Shady Grove is just a facility that houses our program, among others; it's not a school. Geography is what differentiates us, that's it.

As I mentioned in question #2, it's the same program and class. So, tuition is exactly the same. If anything, Baltimore is probably more expensive if you factor in parking and cost of living. (SG has free parking!)

You are a full-time UMB pharmacy student, period. No, you will, by no means, suffer from being eligible for grants and scholarships.

Ditto to everything tojh1 said: you were given a SG spot because that is what became available when your number came up. If you forfeit your spot, you will be put behind other students who did the same and get a new number. I also suggest you call Patrice to get a better idea. Personally, I think your quality of education would be better at UMB than Howard, regardless of campus (but then again, I'm biased :laugh:). Many people worry about the surplus of pharmacists we will see when we all graduate, graduating from a school with a strong reputation may matter more these days...

I have declined my spot at UMB.... It was a very tough choice. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

i guess this is a question for anyone that lives at the pascault row or knows a friend that lives there. how do you guys like it? i will definitely try to go and check the place out (if they let me) but overall would you recommend it to anybody?
i know that it's so close to the school of pharmacy which is amazing but how would you guys rank it considering other factors?

Thanks for your responses..

I called Patrice just now. She told me the same things as you guys did. And she couldn't tell me what kind of ranking will I be in B's waitlist. Also, she doesn't know if there is, or will be, a spot in B too. All she told me was I have to give up my SG spot in order to join B's waitlist and I'll know the result by April 8.

Shall I take the risk? I will have Howard (but I do agree with your takes on UMB being better) at least to fall back on.

God! I am so disturbed right now!:scared:

i guess this is a question for anyone that lives at the pascault row or knows a friend that lives there. how do you guys like it? i will definitely try to go and check the place out (if they let me) but overall would you recommend it to anybody?
i know that it's so close to the school of pharmacy which is amazing but how would you guys rank it considering other factors?

Are you at all concerned about the cost? I keep seeing people mentioning the student housing and it is always like 1000+ a month at least. Yet I don't see many people looking at off campus housing which looks like its a good deal cheaper. like 500-750. Less if you have more roommates.

I called Patrice just now. She told me the same things as you guys did. And she couldn't tell me what kind of ranking will I be in B's waitlist. Also, she doesn't know if there is, or will be, a spot in B too. All she told me was I have to give up my SG spot in order to join B's waitlist and I'll know the result by April 8.

Shall I take the risk? I will have Howard (but I do agree with your takes on UMB being better) at least to fall back on.

that's weird that she couldn't tell you your spot on the waitlist...she told me mine. :confused:

I think I will call her again next week to make sure... Maybe she couldn't give you an estimate because of the upcoming interview? man I'm getting worried again.

that's weird that she couldn't tell you your spot on the waitlist...she told me mine. :confused:

I think I will call her again next week to make sure... Maybe she couldn't give you an estimate because of the upcoming interview? man I'm getting worried again.

Since she is the only person working on this stuff, she can get busy. Still waiting on the acceptance package that she said was going to be sent out about a month ago.... heh. Oh well.

What do you mean by you'll know the result by April 8? You mean, your position on the Baltimore waitlist??

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you at all concerned about the cost? I keep seeing people mentioning the student housing and it is always like 1000+ a month at least. Yet I don't see many people looking at off campus housing which looks like its a good deal cheaper. like 500-750. Less if you have more roommates.

well it would be better if it's cheaper obviously. but the pascault row is actually around 750 for 2 ppl 2 bedrooms . i thought that's a good price. though i did apply to fayette as well just bc i'm too scared to risk getting into off campus housing for my first semester (i rather be closer to the school and the library for when i would be walking to my apartment late at night). I rather pay a little extra and explore what's around for the first semester and then apply for off campus housing later. But again maybe i'm just thinking too much haha

btw this is where i got the pricing:

http://www.housing.umaryland.edu/rates.html

ps. is there a website that has reviews on the on campus housing? i guess i couldnt find anything helpful?

Since she is the only person working on this stuff, she can get busy. Still waiting on the acceptance package that she said was going to be sent out about a month ago.... heh. Oh well.

me too! I really wish I had my packet! Is there anything we have to do besides complete our FAFSA?? I am pretty much in the dark as far as enrolling into school. My parents did most of it for undergrad but now i'm on my own.

What do you mean by you'll know the result by April 8? You mean, your position on the Baltimore waitlist??

She said that only by April 8, she will be able to tell me whether I get into Baltimore since she has to wait for all students to reply.

me too! I really wish I had my packet! Is there anything we have to do besides complete our FAFSA?? I am pretty much in the dark as far as enrolling into school. My parents did most of it for undergrad but now i'm on my own.

If you have questions you can ask the facebook group I suppose. I just want the packet cause then I know I'm definitely in and feel like I'm getting started with the transition.

If you have questions you can ask the facebook group I suppose. I just want the packet cause then I know I'm definitely in and feel like I'm getting started with the transition.

soooo jealouuus~

I wish I could say that I was definitely in...:(

Oh well.. I already waited this long... I'm sticking with it!!

Even though I am a current UMB student, I am making a guess about the wait list situation. (absolutely NO idea about this stuff, I am not an interviewer/on adcom/whatever) Maybe they offer acceptances to the best candidates, reject the least qualified candidates, and put the others who are in the middle of the pack on a waiting list, even though not every spot is offered out yet. Especially since they are still doing interviews, this only makes sense. If you were the school, wouldn't you do the same thing? Once ALL interviews are completed, then they can say yep, ive seen all the candidates and we offered admission to the best of the best. Then they can see how many spots are left and offer to the next best students on the waiting list. (no offense to those on the waiting list)

I personally would be very scared of giving up my spot at SG to wait for bmore if I didn't have something else definite as back up. Do you really want to wait a whole year and repeat this painful process if you are already admitted?

On another note for the campus selection, part of our curriculum is a certain number of elective credits. Some of these are live in baltimore only, live in SG only, or synchronous. Any student is able to take live baltimore or live SG classes, even if it is not their home campus. As for required classes, they do prefer you to stay on your home campus since there may be a limited number of seats. Although since no one attends class in my year, there are usually plenty of empty seats...

Even though I am a current UMB student, I am making a guess about the wait list situation. (absolutely NO idea about this stuff, I am not an interviewer/on adcom/whatever) Maybe they offer acceptances to the best candidates, reject the least qualified candidates, and put the others who are in the middle of the pack on a waiting list, even though not every spot is offered out yet. Especially since they are still doing interviews, this only makes sense. If you were the school, wouldn't you do the same thing? Once ALL interviews are completed, then they can say yep, ive seen all the candidates and we offered admission to the best of the best. Then they can see how many spots are left and offer to the next best students on the waiting list. (no offense to those on the waiting list)

I personally would be very scared of giving up my spot at SG to wait for bmore if I didn't have something else definite as back up. Do you really want to wait a whole year and repeat this painful process if you are already admitted?

On another note for the campus selection, part of our curriculum is a certain number of elective credits. Some of these are live in baltimore only, live in SG only, or synchronous. Any student is able to take live baltimore or live SG classes, even if it is not their home campus. As for required classes, they do prefer you to stay on your home campus since there may be a limited number of seats. Although since no one attends class in my year, there are usually plenty of empty seats...

Thank you! This is very scary btw... lol.
Hopefully they will have a spot for me... And if they don't I know I can't have any regret. I chose this for myself.
But I still have very very high hopes :xf::xf::xf:
I mean... every year they accepted more than 30 of their waitlistd applicants... *sigh* I hope that doesn't change this year.

Good luck everyone.

I decided to go for SG. Btw, why do we not see any SG folks on this forum? :)

Good luck everyone.

I decided to go for SG. Btw, why do we not see any SG folks on this forum? :)

I am a current 3rd year at SG... feel free to PM with any questions.

I am a Shady Grover but I have friends who live in P-Row and love it! It's convenient and cheaper (because you don't have to pay year round like Fayette). I would recommend living there 1st year and then find some friends and explore the area to move off campus during your 2nd year. P-row is awesome, it right across from the school and the parking garage.

Is there a 2015 FB account yet? If there is, can someone provide me with the link?

I am a Shady Grover but I have friends who live in P-Row and love it! It's convenient and cheaper (because you don't have to pay year round like Fayette). I would recommend living there 1st year and then find some friends and explore the area to move off campus during your 2nd year. P-row is awesome, it right across from the school and the parking garage.

Is there a 2015 FB account yet? If there is, can someone provide me with the link?

Thanks! i'm excited for p-row :)

and yes they sent the email to me today for the fb page it's
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=128076573910951

Nobody seems to want to introduce themselves in the introduce yourself discussion.

It's kind of like how my junior high had mandatory showers, and the first day nobody wanted to be the first person to strip down and run through.

I hated junior high PE.

Nobody seems to want to introduce themselves in the introduce yourself discussion.

It's kind of like how my junior high had mandatory showers, and the first day nobody wanted to be the first person to strip down and run through.

I hated junior high PE.

Cruel and unusual at that awkward age.

We're all shy...:oops:

(btw some of these emoticons are hilarious...):zip::whoa::poke:

I hated junior high PE.
Male here and went to community college.hows that for getting into the shower 1st ;)

Male here and went to community college.hows that for getting into the shower 1st ;)

Com'on guys! Introduce yourself in the FB page. We want to get to know you and as someone who did the Big/Little matching last year...we use the information from FB to help pair you up with the most appropriate big.

Com'on guys! Introduce yourself in the FB page. We want to get to know you and as someone who did the Big/Little matching last year...we use the information from FB to help pair you up with the most appropriate big.

What kind of stuff helps you the most?

Just to give an update to people on the waitlist. I got accepted to Shady Grove today and I was 31 on the waitlist

Just to give an update to people on the waitlist. I got accepted to Shady Grove today and I was 31 on the waitlist

Nice! Congrats!

By the way. Does anyone know the number of students at each campus?

Can I get some advice, I really want to go to the Baltimore campus and was offered acceptance at Shady Grove. What is the procedure that I have to go through if I choose to go to Baltimore?

I am a current 3rd year at SG... feel free to PM with any questions.

Thanks Magenta1..!! I'll do so in time of need.. :)

Since there will only be 40 students per batch, I hope we'll all become good friends. And, of course, having helpful seniors will be the best thing I could hope for. For now, I'm planning to check out the campus over this weekend. Any potential SGer wanna join? :)

But, first thing first, let me find that Introduction page and introduce myself properly this evening.

Thank you all..

I was put on the waitlist too....in march... UMD was my 1st choice.....!! :eek:
I was hesitant(or too afraid) to find out what my rank was...
BUT I decided to email ms. sharp today.. i'm so nervous......hope it's not a 3-digit number...:scared:

Nice! Congrats!

By the way. Does anyone know the number of students at each campus?
There's 120 at Baltimore and 40 at Shady Grove.

Can I get some advice, I really want to go to the Baltimore campus and was offered acceptance at Shady Grove. What is the procedure that I have to go through if I choose to go to Baltimore?
You will have to decline your acceptance at Shady Grove and go back onto a waitlist for Baltimore. But weigh your options very carefully, you won't have the option to reclaim your seat at Shady Grove after you forfeit it.

Btw I'm a first year at SG, and maybe one of ya'lls Big next year :D Congrats to all who've been accepted thus far!

question 4 all the seniors up in here! is there any doing the combined program, with a PhD? if so, or if not, what do u have to say about turning it a notch higher and going in for one of those ?(when the time comes of course) Reason I ask is because, I have worked at both a community and hospital pharm, and kinda have a feel of what awaits me down the line. With that in mind, I was wondering of career paths dat would diversify oneself and possibly bring even more of a challenge down the line. So I guess am curious abt what the wisdom is, of going down this path. I knw dat would definitely mean being in atleast the top 5%, which kinda feels thrilling.
I turned down admission into a three yr program, so if I were to got with the four year choice, I might as well make it worthwhile.

For the person asking about class size, I think SG admits 40 and the rest goes to Bmore

Hello everyone!

I was just offerered acceptance into the Shady Grove campus today, and decided to be put into the waitlist for the Baltimore campus. (Just as a reference for others on the waitlist, I started out as #23 on the waitlist, and was #2 as of yesterday.)

Just wondering, does anyone have any idea how long the waitlist for the Baltimore campus is? I'm debating whether or not to turn in a deposit for another school, and if it's more than 20, I think it would be wise to just turn it in. :/

Thanks for the help! :)

There's 120 at Baltimore and 40 at Shady Grove.

You will have to decline your acceptance at Shady Grove and go back onto a waitlist for Baltimore. But weigh your options very carefully, you won't have the option to reclaim your seat at Shady Grove after you forfeit it.

Btw I'm a first year at SG, and maybe one of ya'lls Big next year :D Congrats to all who've been accepted thus far!

What are the chances that I will get off the waitlist on Baltimore? Because since its already full shouldnt no one make it off the list? But I remember someone saying that last year Baltimore campus got filled up last

question 4 all the seniors up in here! is there any doing the combined program, with a PhD? if so, or if not, what do u have to say about turning it a notch higher and going in for one of those ?(when the time comes of course) Reason I ask is because, I have worked at both a community and hospital pharm, and kinda have a feel of what awaits me down the line. With that in mind, I was wondering of career paths dat would diversify oneself and possibly bring even more of a challenge down the line. So I guess am curious abt what the wisdom is, of going down this path. I knw dat would definitely mean being in atleast the top 5%, which kinda feels thrilling.
I turned down admission into a three yr program, so if I were to got with the four year choice, I might as well make it worthwhile.

For the person asking about class size, I think SG admits 40 and the rest goes to Bmore
I'm not a senior, so I can't give you too much info about the dual degree programs. You would typically enroll into one of them your P2 year I think, so you have plenty of time to learn more about them and talk to more people. They are great options if you're interested in another degree. But just fyi though, the dual degree programs will add at least 1 more year.

What are the chances that I will get off the waitlist on Baltimore? Because since its already full shouldnt no one make it off the list? But I remember someone saying that last year Baltimore campus got filled up last
Yea, last year, Shady Grove filled up first. It was my first pick for campus, so it worked out very well for me :) You'll have to call Patrice and see if she's willing to give you an idea of how long the waistlist is. You can also read back on the forum and see what people are saying their rank is to get a better idea. Some students will ultimately decide to decline their seat at Baltimore. But, there's also 1 more interview day left. So, just be careful and make sure it's worth the risk.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That mean's now I'm #30 LOLLL!!! Wish me luck guys!!! I would love to meet all of you at UMB!!!

Hey guys
After weeks and weeks of going back and forth :( , I have decided to decline my offer to this great school. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make in my life. Hopefully my spot will go to one of you guys on this forum. Good luck :luck:

Congratulations UMB Class of 2015 :)

Good luck to all those who have declined your positions early and not a week before school has started. There were two spots given up just on this forum. I really hope some opens up for b campus!!!

i don't know what my # was in the beginning (i'm guessing i could be in 60s), but patrice got back to me this afternoon that i'm #31 now... i dont think i can wait until august, but will wait. :D good luck everyone!!!!

Hey guys
After weeks and weeks of going back and forth :( , I have decided to decline my offer to this great school. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make in my life. Hopefully my spot will go to one of you guys on this forum. Good luck :luck:

Congratulations UMB Class of 2015 :)

Hi Luckyhearts,

Where are you going to school next fall ? just curious..

I am currently on #63 on the wait list. I just emailed Patrice this week. Do you think I stand a chance. I know that people have told me that some years they would go through the whole wait list, and some years, they do not even get through the first 20.

It seems to me that the number is moving up rather quickly. It's a tough situation for me because I either have to extend my apartment lease in Maryland while waiting to hear from UMB or look for a permanent place for another pharmacy school soon.

Any suggestions?

i don't know what my # was in the beginning (i'm guessing i could be in 60s), but patrice got back to me this afternoon that i'm #31 now... i dont think i can wait until august, but will wait. :D good luck everyone!!!!

She got back to you or did you call her and asked her?