University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really excited about this school - they give every indication to understanding the sort of student who will commit to their mission. Good luck to all!

Applying here! From the NYC area but I really want to work in a rural area. Going to have to convince them through my secondary if I get one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a secondary yet???

Also I don't check student doctor network too often but I'll be happy to answer any questions about the application process when I do. I haven't started yet so I can't really answer about experiences at the school yet.

Hit me with that secondary KYCOM! Pretty pumped about this school. Anyone have any OOS to IS stats?

@Tstanfi2 How much emphasis does KYCOM place on ECs such as clinical experience? It is an IS school for me!
Thanks for answering questions! I am considering applying here next cycle.

@Tstanfi2 How much emphasis does KYCOM place on ECs such as clinical experience? It is an IS school for me!
Thanks for answering questions! I am considering applying here next cycle.
Hey man! They place large emphasis on ECs the school really does look at the person as a whole. That being said my ECs weren't the strongest and I still got in but I guess my numbers were above their average

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man! They place large emphasis on ECs the school really does look at the person as a whole. That being said my ECs weren't the strongest and I still got in but I guess my numbers were above their average
Chance me?
sGPA 3.56, cGPA 3.45 MCAT in November!
Pretty decent ECs, and in state :)

Chance me?
sGPA 3.56, cGPA 3.45 MCAT in November!
Pretty decent ECs, and in state :)
Haha I don't know if I'm really qualified to chance but your Gpas are better then mine were but my mcat did kinda save me pm and I can give you my exact stats

have they sent out secondaries yet? verified over 2 weeks ago?

Last edited:
have they sent out secondaries yet? verified over 2 weeks ago?
We just started classes back today so I know they're busy with us but hang in there I'm sure they are getting it done

Applying from Alabama. Will this help me with their regional bias?

Applying from Alabama. Will this help me with their regional bias?
I'm not sure that's considered Appalachian but I would say being from a rural town in Alabama or having rural experience in Alabama would definitely help if you have either of those things. There are like 28 states represented in my class granted nearly half the class is from KY but still that's pretty good out of state numbers

Thanks for the input. I'm from a rural town, hoping that'll give me an edge.

To let you all know, just received a secondary invite, I know we were all looking for them!

Here is the prompt:
  • Statement of Purpose: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student (1-2 pages maximum)

anybody experiencing problems with the payment on the secondary app? I have the payment confirmation number, but it still shows that payment is not submitted on the check list, which prevents me from submitting my app.

tried to call but office closed, will try to call tomorrow morning.

No secondary :unsure: so I will pre-write just in case…. Thanks for posting, @cdistel!

anybody experiencing problems with the payment on the secondary app? I have the payment confirmation number, but it still shows that payment is not submitted on the check list, which prevents me from submitting my app.

tried to call but office closed, will try to call tomorrow morning.
I am having the same issue, did you find anything out??

email [email protected] and explain to him the situation, along with your payment confirmation, full name and he will take care of it for you. He said the IT ppl are working on it but if you want it to get resolved faster, shoot him an email!
I am having the same issue, did you find anything out??

Any interview invites yet?
I just finished my secondary application and I was wondering if I should submit it or not. I am from California, but I have a lot of background and EC activities helping underserved communities and volunteering in rural areas. My physician letter of recommendation also comments on my desire to serve underserved communities. Do I have any chance at this school?

Any interview invites yet?
I just finished my secondary application and I was wondering if I should submit it or not. I am from California, but I have a lot of background and EC activities helping underserved communities and volunteering in rural areas.
No interview yet. I think they just released their first bacth of secondaries. I'm from Oregon with no ties to the region. But since I also have rural/ underserved ECs, I went ahead and submitted it!

No interview yet. I think they just released their first bacth of secondaries. I'm from Oregon with no ties to the region. But since I also have rural/ underserved ECs, I went ahead and submitted it!

Great! I received my secondary application this morning. One thing that was kind of upsetting was the numerous amount of errors they had in their secondary application invitation; they even spelled AACOMAS wrong (it said AACOMS) =(

Well, I hope they give some love to OOS applicants with desire to practice medicine in rural areas. I mentioned my desire to practice medicine as a primary care physician in rural setting, but I didn't mention the desire to practice in Kentucky/Appalachian area. Do you think it is necessary to also express desire to serve in Kentucky/Appalachian area ? I am really not about that yet.

Great! I received my secondary application this morning. One thing that was kind of upsetting was the numerous amount of errors they had in their secondary application invitation; they even spelled AACOMAS wrong (it said AACOMS) =(

Well, I hope they give some love to OOS applicants with desire to practice medicine in rural areas. I mentioned my desire to practice medicine as a primary care physician in rural setting, but I didn't mention the desire to practice in Kentucky/Appalachian area. Do you think it is necessary to also express desire to serve in Kentucky/Appalachian area ? I am really not about that yet.

Ya their server was definitely glitchy!

I didn't mentioned particularly interested in KY/Appalachian area because to be honest, we don't know anything about that are right now and everything we say now would just be stuff we can google about. I would however, mention something along the likes of eager to learn more about the area as I attend school there!

Got my secondary. I also thought the server was weird, and the spelling errors made me sad.

But I'm submitting as soon as I convince my trusted proofreaders to look it over! Go Pikeville Bears!

I received AACOMAS fee waiver. Does anyone know how I can apply this fee waiver to KYCOM secondary? I don't see an option for fee waiver on the payment page of the secondary =(

I received AACOMAS fee waiver. Does anyone know how I can apply this fee waiver to KYCOM secondary? I don't see an option for fee waiver on the payment page of the secondary =(
I don't remember exactly how they did it last year but I think you just contact the school and they take care of it. Good luck! Hope I see you all at your interview days to sell you on KYCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't remember exactly how they did it last year but I think you just contact the school and they take care of it. Good luck! Hope I see you all at your interview days to sell you on KYCOM.

I emailed Ronnie Collins regarding my situation and he marked my secondary as waived. The payment page was marked complete after I logged back in. If anyone is in the similar situation, please email [email protected] instead of calling (much faster). I really hope to receive an interview invite from this school. Would you happen to know when the school starts interviewing?

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed Ronnie Collins regarding my situation and he marked my secondary as waived. The payment page was marked complete after I logged back in. If anyone is in the similar situation, please email [email protected] instead of calling (much faster). I really hope to receive an interview invite from this school. Would you happen to know when the school starts interviewing?
You can always scroll back through last years thread because I don't remember exactly when the first was but I want to say third or fourth week of September. I interviewed early October so by then for sure.

Just submitted secondary! Has anyone heard back after submission of their secondary?

From california, I want to return to here to practice medicine, b/c of family...would that be any problem if I were to attend pikeville?

Hi all, I have a question regarding Pikevile secondary. Under the Certification of Application/Waiver, it says:

"- I do waive and relinquish provided to the KYCOM granted to me by 438 of Public Law 241. I do understand this waiver is irrevocable.

-I certify that all information provided to the Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine on my AACOMAS application, supplemental application, and all supporting documents is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I know and understand that nay and all items contained in the aforementioned materials may be subject to verification. I consent to the full release of all information concerning my capacity and fitness for the educational program by employers, education institutionsm and other agencies. Furthermore, by submitting this application, I agress to abide by the policies and procedures established by the University and found in the KYCOM catalog and student handbook. I acknowledge that falsification or misrepresentation of any information now or in the future (including as a candidate, applicant, student, or graduate) or failure to comply with KYCOM policies and procedures could result in disciplinary actions up to and including immediate dismissal."

I know I am supposed to check the second box. But I am not quite understanding what the first box means?

Last edited:
From california, I want to return to here to practice medicine, b/c of family...would that be any problem if I were to attend pikeville?
I am from California too, central valley--most of which is medically underserved. I hope that helps me a tad bit. After graduating from Pikeville, you are free to do residency and practice as a physician any where in the US. However if you mention your desire to return back to California in your primary or secondary app, it might hold you back from receiving an interview because moving back to California will not be fulfilling Pikeville's mission. May be you can mention your desire to practice medicine in rural areas of california.

Hi all, I have a question regarding Pikevile secondary. Under the Certification of Application/Waiver, it says:

"- I do waive and relinquish provided to the KYCOM granted to me by 438 of Public Law 241. I do understand this waiver is irrevocable.

-I certify that all information provided to the Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine on my AACOMAS application, supplemental application, and all supporting documents is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I know and understand that nay and all items contained in the aforementioned materials may be subject to verification. I consent to the full release of all information concerning my capacity and fitness for the educational program by employers, education institutionsm and other agencies. Furthermore, by submitting this application, I agress to abide by the policies and procedures established by the University and found in the KYCOM catalog and student handbook. I acknowledge that falsification or misrepresentation of any information now or in the future (including as a candidate, applicant, student, or graduate) or failure to comply with KYCOM policies and procedures could result in disciplinary actions up to and including immediate dismissal."

I know I am supposed to check the second box. But I am not quite understanding what the first box means?

NO idea!!! I googled but I can't find any specifics. -_- i feel sooooo dumb for not even reading this when i submitted my secondary.

NO idea!!! I googled but I can't find any specifics. -_- i feel sooooo dumb for not even reading this when i submitted my secondary.

Lol so I assume u checked the second box only? thats what I am planning to do..cuz I have no idea what the first one means?

Also, any tips on how to approach #1 and first part of question #2? I feel like I am repeating myself..

Lol so I assume u checked the second box only? thats what I am planning to do..cuz I have no idea what the first one means?

Also, any tips on how to approach #1 and first part of question #2? I feel like I am repeating myself..

I checked the first box too, I was in hurry :( darnittt " I do understand this waiver is irrevocable." I hope I am not f****d

In the first prompt I explained my interest in practicing primary care in a rural setting. I mentioned my extracurricular activities in rural settings and how this experience turned in to a passion to help underserved communities. I also mentioned what I learned while volunteering in rural hospitals and how it will help me in future as a physician.

In the first part of questions 2 I explained how kycom is a good fit for me i.e.what opportunities it will provide me to become a great primary care physician in a rural setting . explain how school's mission resonates with your own personal and academic goals. I also discussed why I am a good fit for school. what qualities I possess that make me a good fit for the school. I also talked about how school's location & surrounding area is a good fit for me. Good luck!!

PS: I received complete email this morning!

I checked the first box too, I was in hurry :( darnittt " I do understand this waiver is irrevocable." I hope I am not f****d

In the first prompt I explained my interest in practicing primary care in a rural setting. I mentioned my extracurricular activities in rural settings and how this experience turned in to a passion to help underserved communities. I also mentioned what I learned while volunteering in rural hospitals and how it will help me in future as a physician.

In the first part of questions 2 I explained how kycom is a good fit for me i.e.what opportunities it will provide me to become a great primary care physician in a rural setting . explain how school's mission resonates with your own personal and academic goals. I also discussed why I am a good fit for school. what qualities I possess that make me a good fit for the school. I also talked about how school's location & surrounding area is a good fit for me. Good luck!!

PS: I received complete email this morning!

Thank you so much!! and congrats on the complete email! Im sure an ii is on its way to you ;)

can someone post the secondary prompts? please and THANK YOU!